Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2014, 09:18 PM   #256
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
The resort looks GORGEOUS!!!!! I have to stay there during the holidays!

You guys weren't wasting time that's for sure

I hope you stay even if it rains

I agree, valet it too much, I couldn't do it.

It is such a beautiful resort. It has such a wonderful vibe; Disney and luxury. I could live there. I'd be a squatter but I could live there.

The self lot was close to the GCV but even closer to the DLH so we didn't have to move our car when we moved resorts. It was such an easy, stress free process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Glad you guys got going so early! Whose nails were those and what did that mean?

We weren't about to waste a single minute. You know us. It's to go go on vacation then crash at home.

Chloe's. LOTR or Lord of the Rings. She's a huge fan of the books and films. Hobbit too. She's my geek sister.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:35 PM   #257
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Very nice start at the DLR and in the lobby of the GCH with the holiday decorations.

The family pictures at the Esplanade when you were getting the tickets were very nice.
mvf-m11c is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #258
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Slowly Slowly making my way around and getting caught up!

I'm glad the drive was so uneventful, that is the best kind! While I am not a Vegas person, at ALL, Mandalay is lovely to stay at.

I love the Reedy Creek story! What a wonderful gift, of the coin, can you frame it or put it in a special box of some sort? How neat! I felt like we drove by one of the stations 100 times on our trip how perfect that he wandered in and met M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post

When is your next WDW trip? I think we all need to make a private Google doc so we can keep track of everyone's trips. I'd love to be a part of one of the BIG fun WDW meets.

I think Cynthia should be in charge of the document as she thrives in that kind of stuff. Me, not so much.
I can barely keep track of my own stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
My next trip is end of May/beginning of June.
Bums me out that we just miss each other!

Quote:
After giving our name and getting our Welcome Home, we pulled in, unloaded the MDX, and Michael went to self park. Now I'm not cheap but $22 for valet, before a tip, is a little steep. I know it's Disney and the prices rarely shock me but that's bit much.
The only time I do valet anywhere is if I'm in a serious time crunch...or someone else is paying, or I am schlepping a lot of stuff solo. $22 though...that would be normal hotel valet here, possibly even on the lower side!

Quote:
Michael was back in no time. We always do the same thing: I check in while Michael entertains the kids. I don't know why but we've done it like that forever.
We do the same, although I'm not sure how much entertaining Jeff actually does! seriously, I swear it took me 30 minutes to check in at BWV and they are all jsut sitting there on the couch despite instructions to change after the red eye and get the bags ready to check with bell services.

Quote:
Don't you just love the big wood beams? I think the GCV is one of the prettiest and most welcoming resorts I've been to.

Michael tried to take this shot so many times with his phone and this is the best he could capture. I'm not sure why he didn't use the Sony?

Now I had requested a villa on the third floor or higher. The CM told me that she had us on the first floor and our villa was ready. I kindly told her we'd be happy to wait for something higher up and would wait. She went in the back room and after a few minutes came out and said she could get us a villa on the 3rd floor with a decent view of DCA. I was great with that. In retrospect a pool view would have also been good. Next time I won't be so picky. She was very nice, gave me in the ins and outs of the GCH, and we were on our way. She said we'd be notified via text when our villa was ready. Fine by me, we had a park to explore. She gave Chloe a birthday button and us the Celebrate buttons as we were celebrating with Chloe. Chloe's birthday was in two days. Close enough.
Aw, it's still a cute picture and it looks gorgeous for the holidays!

You have arrived! Rain, schmain, it does help with the crowds and at holiday time...that can be a darn good thing.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #259
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

The Grand Californian looks great all decked out for Christmas. I can't wait to see this for myself.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #260
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Very nice start at the DLR and in the lobby of the GCH with the holiday decorations.

The family pictures at the Esplanade when you were getting the tickets were very nice.

They had fun waiting for me. When we realized people were already being let in, they came over and rushed me.

The GCH was the perfect way to begin the Disney portion of our little vacation. It got us right in the mood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Slowly Slowly making my way around and getting caught up!

I'm glad the drive was so uneventful, that is the best kind! While I am not a Vegas person, at ALL, Mandalay is lovely to stay at.

I haven't stayed there but it's on our next time list. The Venetian was amazing. We love it there. We've stayed in everything from Circus Circus to The Venetian and in between; the Luxor, Mirage, TI, Orleans, The Golden Nugget etc....so far The Venetian wins by a landslide.

Quote:
I love the Reedy Creek story! What a wonderful gift, of the coin, can you frame it or put it in a special box of some sort? How neat! I felt like we drove by one of the stations 100 times on our trip how perfect that he wandered in and met M.

Isn't it the coolest? the coin is going in his fire/AirMed shadow box until we go back. He was told to bring it with him to show so he can get the underground/backstage tour.

Quote:
I can barely keep track of my own stuff!

You're like a planning goddess girl!

Quote:
The only time I do valet anywhere is if I'm in a serious time crunch...or someone else is paying, or I am schlepping a lot of stuff solo. $22 though...that would be normal hotel valet here, possibly even on the lower side!

We usually valet but $22 seemed high. Maybe SLC is just cheap? We dropped off the bags and then he parked, no schlepping that way.

Quote:
We do the same, although I'm not sure how much entertaining Jeff actually does! seriously, I swear it took me 30 minutes to check in at BWV and they are all jsut sitting there on the couch despite instructions to change after the red eye and get the bags ready to check with bell services.

30 minutes? What took so long?

Quote:
Aw, it's still a cute picture and it looks gorgeous for the holidays!

You have arrived! Rain, schmain, it does help with the crowds and at holiday time...that can be a darn good thing.

You guessed it, we stayed and it totally helped with the crowds. It was a fantastic day but more details to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
The Grand Californian looks great all decked out for Christmas. I can't wait to see this for myself.

Corinna

Its gorgeous, you're going to flip. It's just so beautiful.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:43 PM   #261
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
The GCH was the perfect way to begin the Disney portion of our little vacation. It got us right in the mood.
I am very much looking forward to it! Well, the one night in the studio not so much but the rest will be good.

My mom snores.

Quote:

I haven't stayed there but it's on our next time list. The Venetian was amazing. We love it there. We've stayed in everything from Circus Circus to The Venetian and in between; the Luxor, Mirage, TI, Orleans, The Golden Nugget etc....so far The Venetian wins by a landslide.
It's funny, I've been to Mandalay more than any other, always for work though. Probably my favorite hotel and pool but it really is pretty far from the strip. Plenty right there so you don't need to leave but if you are heading out for other things...it's a cab ride for sure.

I was in the Palazzo a couple of years ago, lovely lovely rooms and love how the pools link with the Venetian. Last work trip was at the Cosmopolitan which has to be (now) my favorite work/Vegas hotel. Sounds weird but oh it makes a huge difference. At some of them you are walking for DAYS to get to the meeting space. This had lovely rooms, nothing was too far, plenty of food options and a lovely pool and gym.

Quote:

Isn't it the coolest? the coin is going in his fire/AirMed shadow box until we go back. He was told to bring it with him to show so he can get the underground/backstage tour.
perfect!

Quote:

You're like a planning goddess girl!
yes and no. I'll plan but then don't always actually look at what I planned.

Quote:

We usually valet but $22 seemed high. Maybe SLC is just cheap? We dropped off the bags and then he parked, no schlepping that way.
That's what we do (drop off, check in, then park). $22 is normal for a resort/hotel in Seattle overnight, dining/restaurant only would be less.

Quote:

30 minutes? What took so long?
I honestly couldn't tell you but it was painful. Between that and how slow my parents walk it felt like it took us FOREVER to get from the plane..to breakfast.

Quote:

You guessed it, we stayed and it totally helped with the crowds. It was a fantastic day but more details to come.
I hear you, rain helped us out quite a bit on our trip...though we did get very soggy and rather "over" it a few times.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:29 AM   #262
MEK
DIS Veteran

Yay! You are almost IN!

VGC is gorgeous and the Christmas decorations just make it that much nicer.

That carpet is really dirty, isn't it? Yuck!

I agree that sometimes one park a day is the way to go. You can tour the park in a more organized manner and go back and night and visit what you missed. Plus, with a big group it is a huge money saver.

Great pictures of the kids waiting to go play.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:27 PM   #263
rentayenta

There is some crazy amazing magical feeling that comes over me when we enter the parks. I can't quite put my finger on it but its like a we're-actually-here sort of feeling!

We were in!

Now a big decision had to be made? Do we take a chance to use the "wide right" system and ride RSR first thing? If you recall last time, we got totally burned by it because RSR went 101.

It was about 8:45 at this time so while they allowed us in, the rope hadn't officially dropped. I made the executive although unanimous decision to forgo the RSR mess and head to TSMM, grabbing Soarin' FP on the way. It was raining, we had all day, and I didn't think RSR would run out of FPs right away.

I was right. I love that.

Here's a funny story. So we walk over to the rope by Soarin' when I hear this woman talk abut "wide right". She was debating the same thing I was. Come to find out she is also a DISer! Small world. Michael is sill making fun of me but whatever. I totally forgot her screen name but she is remembers mine and is reading: Hello Canada!

They were from Canada spans we saw them literally all day and every time we'd say Hello Canada. They had a much larger party than ours.

So back to entering the park.

Chloe took only two as we were booking it to TSMM.

The wait was about 10 minutes and Chloe snapped away:

Clearly I don't delete any photos ever.

Joshua and Gabby rode together:

Chloe and Michael rode together:

And I rode alone. Poor mom. Not really.

Just kidding. I'm glad because we rode again. Chloe wanted to "versus" me. I was all warmed up and won. I never win.

After riding twice, we headed to Screamin'. Joshua doesn't like it so we split. Already. Joshua and I ran to get RSR FP while Michael and the rode Screamin'.

After grabbing FP it really started to rain but my boy posed for me anyhow:

The dark skies make this beautiful in a totally different way:

The girls did well and snapped their photo too:

We met back up at Soarin' as our FPs were ready. Soarin' is the family's collective favorite DCA ride.

Oooooooo......

Ahhh........we love some David Puddy:

Nice job, pal:

Continued in next post.....

Last edited by rentayenta; 10-04-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:30 PM   #264
rentayenta

Chloe's feet before take off:

Chloe's dream one day:

Our RSR FPs wouldn't be until 3:30 which was perfect.

We decided we were hungry and needed chili dogs. It was still early but we hadn't eaten more than a handful of trail mix with our Starbucks.

On the way to Award Wieners:

Look Alison, Fran's mother ship!

We ordered our lunch and the kids tripped out on the new $100 bill:

While we waited:

And our FOOD:

We ordered 4 chili cheese dogs and a hotdog. They all came with chips and apples so we got a mix.

I knew I wouldn't be going anywhere near the inside of Muppets 3D so Chloe snapped a few photos for me:

We decided that Monsters Inc would be the perfect post brunch ride. On the way we saw this cute little dance party area. Anyone know what goes on back there? There stages and great bright decor.

Who's ready to see some monsters? We are!

Michael and Joshua love Monsters Inc so Chloe snapped a few photos in the queue. I like the Sugar, Salt, and Fat snack here:

It's a cute ride. Cute concept. Cute.

After we headed over to ToT and on the way we saw a Monster frat house:

And Santa:

Joshua doesn't like ToT either so I parked him on a bench while we rode. It's really such a great ride, I wish he'd give it anther go. He tried it when he was like 5 so I can see why he didn't like it but hasn't been back on since.

ToT's queue wasn't more than 15 minutes. The rain really kept folks away.

We're pretty soggy. I look like a wet dog. At least I didn't smell like one.

Continued in next post.....

Old 01-15-2014, 10:31 PM   #265
rentayenta

I really wanted to ride this but got totally vetoed:

Don't worry, I'd be back! It was time for some Bugs. I love that this walkway is open now. It's so much easier and quicker to have a thorough fare. Good job DCA.

Bug'sLand is one of my favorite themed areas at the DLR. Every detail is just amazing.

If you don't believe me, take a gander:

I really liked this as our last name is Sheets:

I love this shot:

And one with the iPhone:

It wouldn't be Bug'sLand without a ride on the Chew Chew. This has been one of Chloe's favorite rides since she was a baby. She always rides alone so she can take it all in and ignore the chatter.

This is a teenager smiling in case you don't recognize it.

We caught this guy mid yawn. Sorry guy.

Isn't this fantastic?

Of course we had to do ITTBAB:

The Dung Brothers, always a hit:

I have to stop here as Joshua is on the computer and I need to load more onto Photobucket.

Sorry this day is taking so long but dragging it out is part of the fun for me, before and after.

To be continued......

Old 01-15-2014, 10:41 PM   #266
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I am very much looking forward to it! Well, the one night in the studio not so much but the rest will be good.

My mom snores.

It's funny, I've been to Mandalay more than any other, always for work though. Probably my favorite hotel and pool but it really is pretty far from the strip. Plenty right there so you don't need to leave but if you are heading out for other things...it's a cab ride for sure.

I was in the Palazzo a couple of years ago, lovely lovely rooms and love how the pools link with the Venetian. Last work trip was at the Cosmopolitan which has to be (now) my favorite work/Vegas hotel. Sounds weird but oh it makes a huge difference. At some of them you are walking for DAYS to get to the meeting space. This had lovely rooms, nothing was too far, plenty of food options and a lovely pool and gym.

perfect!

yes and no. I'll plan but then don't always actually look at what I planned.

That's what we do (drop off, check in, then park). $22 is normal for a resort/hotel in Seattle overnight, dining/restaurant only would be less.

I honestly couldn't tell you but it was painful. Between that and how slow my parents walk it felt like it took us FOREVER to get from the plane..to breakfast.

I hear you, rain helped us out quite a bit on our trip...though we did get very soggy and rather "over" it a few times.

Your mom snores? That needs to be a trip report title.

The Mandalay Bay shops have RiRa, a great Irish Bar. It's a beautiful hotel. Lucky girl getting to stay there for work. You get to travel all over! I should have chosen another career.

You got some rain too. Disney rain is magic though, it only dampens the ground, not spirits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Yay! You are almost IN!

VGC is gorgeous and the Christmas decorations just make it that much nicer.

That carpet is really dirty, isn't it? Yuck!

I agree that sometimes one park a day is the way to go. You can tour the park in a more organized manner and go back and night and visit what you missed. Plus, with a big group it is a huge money saver.

Great pictures of the kids waiting to go play.

I loved the one park per day. With two days and only two parks, it made so much more sense. We also saved some money which is always a much appreciated bonus.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:48 PM   #267
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

I always like hitting the parks when it is a little wet (not rain like in Florida) but just a little wet. It keeps most people away and you get to practically walk on the rides.

Great decision to hit the other rides first instead of RSR. Looks like you got a ton of rides done.

Love the family pictures and the one of you and Michael by the tree. Such a cute couple.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #268
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
I always like hitting the parks when it is a little wet (not rain like in Florida) but just a little wet. It keeps most people away and you get to practically walk on the rides.

Great decision to hit the other rides first instead of RSR. Looks like you got a ton of rides done.

Love the family pictures and the one of you and Michael by the tree. Such a cute couple.

Thank you PIO. We feel like an old couple but I'll take cute any day.

Yah, last time we got burned bad by the whole RSR at opening. We got to do a lot in 90 minutes by skipping it and getting a FP for later. Wide right is out of my plans for now on.

I agree, a little rain is alright. It rained hard for about 30 minutes and then it was just a light drizzle on and off. Michael disagrees and says it never rained hard but he's a big burly guy.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #269
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Very nice update to your first day at DCA. All of your family pictures look very nice and lively.

It was a smart decision of not riding RSR first thing in the morning and going on the other attractions.

Just like PiO, I like to go to the parks when it is raining so the parks would be not that crowded.
mvf-m11c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #270
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

What a great day. It doesn't look very crowded at all.

Jill in CO

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: