DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #31
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkold View Post
This is one of the reasons we bought VGF. We want to stay at the VGF 4-5 nights during the first two weeks of December nearly every year. That is one of the times we like to travel.
With only 47 Studios and a high per-night point requirement, IMHO, any Studio at VGF will be difficult to book for more than 2-3 nights once VGF sells out.

Standard View one-bedroom villa for the summer is 340 points per week. I just can't imagine a lot of VGF owners buying that number of points. In the end, I suspect many VGF owners will battle with each other for the Studios, pretty much assuring that anyone who doesn't own there will find it extremely difficult to book a Studio there once it sells out.

Regardless of price, if VGF is where you want to stay, I believe you were wise to buy there. It probably will be many years before VGF resales even begin to approach $100/point.
Nabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #32
rkold
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabas View Post
With only 47 Studios and a high per-night point requirement, IMHO, any Studio at VGF will be difficult to book for more than 2-3 nights once VGF sells out.

Standard View one-bedroom villa for the summer is 340 points per week. I just can't imagine a lot of VGF owners buying that number of points. In the end, I suspect many VGF owners will battle with each other for the Studios, pretty much assuring that anyone who doesn't own there will find it extremely difficult to book a Studio there once it sells out.

Regardless of price, if VGF is where you want to stay, I believe you were wise to buy there. It probably will be many years before VGF resales even begin to approach $100/point.
Well, hopefully we either always just get lucky or by the time we can't get 4-5 nights we go less often and do 1 brs for 4-5 nights instead. At least for now, I'd rather take my little one out of nursery. I've done a move between resorts once and I'd really prefer not to do it again while DD is still napping.
rkold is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #33
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

I find it interesting what salesman will say....in any line of sales. Timeshare or not. I like to stop and talk to one every trip...just to hear what they'll say. I haven't heard any "blatant lies" like this one, but they do twist and bend things here and there. Like a previous poster, it may not have been a lie, as people hear what they want sometimes to justify things to themselves, rather than what was actually said. I'm glad I found the Disboards before we purchased. I am far more knowledgeable about DVC than most owners I come across. Friends of ours who owned for years before us, ask me questions now. Found out my neighbor owns at SSR and I've enlightened him on a few things he didn't know over the last 6 months.

I don't judge anyone for buying resale or direct. I just hope those who buy either way are informed.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #34
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisK View Post
I have also heard this rumor. It makes sense though, if Disney buys all the resale contracts via ROFR, and then sells them higher....they make a nice profit. People will always want DVC.
There are some resorts I don't think they would want back, they had a hard time selling them in the first place. Would you buy Vero or HH for over $100?
Old 11-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #35
DVC Sue
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I don't think this is true. I guess some salesman will stop at nothing to make a sell.
DVC Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #36
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Disney's job is to sell, room packages or DVC contracts, it all about the same.

If your job was only selling DVC contracts, your boss is on your butt to sell more, you are looking for a raise or bonus based on sales, you have to do the same spiel every day, several times per day for weeks, months, years, trying to convince people that you are their friend and that they need to buy a timeshare, getting emails from your boss because you let one get away, you might bend the truth to make a sale.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #37
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer View Post
We just bought direct last week, and our guide did not say anything about Disney buying back 'all' the ROFR contracts. He said this was an option for the lower-priced contracts, but never said they would all be bought.

His selling point on not buying off the resale market was those contracts do not come with all the 'perks' that buying from Disney does. Basically said you cannot access Aluani (which is one of our targets in a few years), and those other resorts that are offered. In essence, you would be tied to the Disney World Resort with those points, and couldn't even access Disneyland. My research showed this to be possibly true---but even if it wasn't, we wanted in at the VGF, so we almost had to buy right now--rather than wait a year or so on the resale market.
The only "perk" you miss out on is exchanging your points for the "Disney Collection" like cruises or staying at non-DVC Disney hotels. Since Aulani is part of the regular DVC system, you ARE allowed to book there at the 7 month mark just like any of the other DVC resorts. That access won't and can't change unless they re-write the offering statements. You even get to use your points for RCI exchanges if you buy resale. The ONLY thing you can't do is book Disney hotels and cruises with points.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #38
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

Quote:
As I said, our first priority was to have the VGF as our home resort, and have that 4mos booking window ahead of everyone else. While you may have gotten the VGF right now, I don't think the resort will be that easy to book in the upcoming year--especially with only a 7mos window.

We were never GF people in the past, but when we walked the resort (DVC), we fell in love with it. Did we probably overpay a little--yes. Were we able to have the home resort we loved--MOST certainly yes.

We made the decision based from not being able to get our favorite resorts this past trip, and kind of being disappointed with the WL room this time. We didn't want that to happen again, so we booked at a resort that we fell in love with, and would be happy with the rooms.

If that is getting ripped off, then so be it. I looked into resale, and it has its own problems/issues, so either way there is something not to like. We may choose to buy more points on resale, but I do not regret my VGF purchase whatsoever.

AND, if finances get tight in the future---I would think the VGF has a nice resale value that we can get back out from under it.
I think all of us make choices like that for our own reasons. I added on when AKV first added DVC units because I KNEW I wanted to have points at AKV, and I didn't want to wait for resale to come on line. As it turned out, the first AKV resale was on the lists before the resort even opened! Who knew?

I'm not sure long time DVC members are necessarily going to be so eager to use VGF though. It's way more points than we would use for the same length of time and a larger unit at our two home resorts, and that just wouldn't be worth it to me. That's especially true since MK is our least favorite park, and the TIME we can book is more important to us than extra luxurious furniture. Besides, I think the REAL thing many current owners are going to want to get into is the new Polynesian villas when they are available.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #39
tanjiers
Earning My Ears

I got the same quote it was kind of funny. It's not worth much unless it's in writing.
tanjiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #40
fuernj
Earning My Ears

Just this past weekend, our DVC sales person told us that in addition to losing RCI, Disney Cruise, etc., people purchasing resale would not be able to use their points at any DVC resort that opens after the resale takes place. For example, that would mean someone buying resale today would not be able to purchase DVC at the Polly when that opens. I asked the sales ugh several times in several different ways if I was understanding him correctly and he insisted this was a recent change. Anyone else hear this tidbit?
fuernj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #41
Sur
Love the Dis

No
Old 11-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #42
twinsouvenirs
Loving Double Trouble :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuernj View Post
Just this past weekend, our DVC sales person told us that in addition to losing RCI, Disney Cruise, etc., people purchasing resale would not be able to use their points at any DVC resort that opens after the resale takes place. For example, that would mean someone buying resale today would not be able to purchase DVC at the Polly when that opens. I asked the sales ugh several times in several different ways if I was understanding him correctly and he insisted this was a recent change. Anyone else hear this tidbit?
This is technically possible per the IPO but as to ALL contracts, direct and resale. I have not heard this, and I believe they could not single out resales on that provision without severely restricting their own administrative systems--they'd have to figure in how many points were then not available for trade with the direct owners. eg- if you are resale at VWL and you get locked out of Poly, those points are likely not available for a Poly user to rent/exchange, since the hotels are all individual but in reciprocal exchanges within dvc. Or at least that's one thing I'd argue at meetings. The element of exchange and flexibility is one of the most attractive pieces of the direct sale.

Our Feb '14 Pre-Trip Report - Headed to the Grand Floridian Villas!

twinsouvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #43
mmdisneylover
Mouseketeer

Our first tour back in 2000 had no sales tactics or scare tatics. Doug Rapper gave use the info and told us to take it home and look it over and give him a call later no pressure. Loved that about him now I hear he's a big wig there. I guess they have to do whatever they need to to make a sale but that would just discourage me.
mmdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #44
CMOORE185
HH 240 Points, SSR 260 Points

Quote:
As I said, our first priority was to have the VGF as our home resort, and have that 4mos booking window ahead of everyone else. While you may have gotten the VGF right now, I don't think the resort will be that easy to book in the upcoming year--especially with only a 7mos window. We were never GF people in the past, but when we walked the resort (DVC), we fell in love with it. Did we probably overpay a little--yes. Were we able to have the home resort we loved--MOST certainly yes. We made the decision based from not being able to get our favorite resorts this past trip, and kind of being disappointed with the WL room this time. We didn't want that to happen again, so we booked at a resort that we fell in love with, and would be happy with the rooms. If that is getting ripped off, then so be it. I looked into resale, and it has its own problems/issues, so either way there is something not to like. We may choose to buy more points on resale, but I do not regret my VGF purchase whatsoever. AND, if finances get tight in the future---I would think the VGF has a nice resale value that we can get back out from under it.
Congrats on your VGF purchase. VGF is the only resort at this stage I would consider buying direct. Alas I already have 500 points and do not need more.

When I purchased there was not a great difference between pricing of resale vs direct so I bought direct. But at this point I think I would go resale unless I had to have a certain resort like VGF.

I wish you many memorable years at VGF.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 11-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #45
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuernj View Post
can't buy at Poly or can't use points at Poly?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: