Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
jrtoastyman
Purveyor of Fine Latex Products

DAS Card or no?

Hoping someone here can offer some guidance. Long story short, my parents are planning on coming up to WDW to join us on our next trip for a day or two, at which point my dad will be about 5 weeks removed from a triple bypass procedure. That's assuming his doctor approves, of course, but indications so far are that he'll be given the green light.

He's not a big thrill ride guy anyway, but the time with him will be even more sedate than it would otherwise be because we don't want him doing anything that is going to jostle him or be even remotely strenuous. We'll likely stick to shows and possibly some of the more peaceful rides (Small World, Peter Pan, etc.) if he feels up to it. We'll probably go to MVMCP one evening, since it includes several unique shows that he might enjoy.

We'll be getting him an ECV so he doesn't have to walk or stand for long periods of time. He'll be able to walk when necessary, but we're trying to minimize that to keep his energy up.

So, with all of this being the case, is there anyone that would suggest that we get a DAS card? Just thinking about the things we might do, there are only a couple of rides where having an ECV in the queue could present a problem, but without the card, I think they'd be off the table.

I guess the question is this -- excluding thrill rides that would be off the table anyway, what attractions can you absolutely NOT ride without a DAS card if you're unable to walk or stand for more than about 10 minutes at a time?

At the end of the day, I'm pretty confident that his situation would warrant having a DAS card, I just don't know if it's actually going to be necessary given what we intend to do. Thoughts?

Owner since June 2011

Upcoming: BLT (Jan 2015) - DLR (July 2014)
DLR (May 2014) - BLT (Dec 2013) - Dolphin (May 2013) - BLT (Jan 2013) - BLT (Jan 2012) - Polynesian (June 2011 + UO/IOA) - Swan (Jan 2007) - Port Orleans French Quarter (Dec 1993) - Off-site (1986)

Last edited by jrtoastyman; 11-11-2013 at 11:04 AM.
jrtoastyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

What needs does he have that can't be met by using the ecv in the ride lines?
Gracie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

a DAS card is not needed to use a wheelchair or ECV in line. It is for non-mobility related needs that are not met by using a wheelchair or ECV in line while waiting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie09 View Post
What needs does he have that can't be met by using the ecv in the ride lines?
And, for those attractions that are not ECV accessible, but are wheelchair accessible, he would be able to park the ECV and use an attraction wheelchair in line.
You would need to ask the CM at the entrance where to park the ECV and that he is not able to walk in line and would need to borrow an attraction wheelchair.
Almost all WDW attractions are wheelchair accessible. The exceptions are Tomorrowland Transit Authority, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse and Peter Pan (which is currently bring renovated).
There are a couple that are not accessible in the regular line, but you would not need a DAS to use the accessible entrance if you have a wheelchair or ECV.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
jrtoastyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
The exceptions are Tomorrowland Transit Authority, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse and Peter Pan (which is currently bring renovated).
Peter Pan is the one that I was actually specifically most concerned about, because it's DD4's favorite ride, and I know she'd love to ride it with her grandpa. Would he be able to ride that without a DAS?

Owner since June 2011

DLR (May 2014) - BLT (Dec 2013) - Dolphin (May 2013) - BLT (Jan 2013) - BLT (Jan 2012) - Polynesian (June 2011 + UO/IOA) - Swan (Jan 2007) - Port Orleans French Quarter (Dec 1993) - Off-site (1986)
Old 11-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtoastyman View Post
Peter Pan is the one that I was actually specifically most concerned about, because it's DD4's favorite ride, and I know she'd love to ride it with her grandpa. Would he be able to ride that without a DAS?
It is supposed to reopen on about November 14.

He would NOT need a DAS to go on that or any other attraction. I don't know how they may be re-configuring the queue for Peter Pan, but he would go to the attraction with his ECV and the CM will instruct him what to do.
Before the renovation, they had a specific place for guests with wheelchairs and ECV to wait. It is considered ' must be ambulatory' because it was not possible to bring a wheelchair up very close to the ride car and there was a very short time period to get on and off.
If the renovated line is not ECV accessible at all, he would be able to borrow a wheelchair at the attraction to wait for boarding.

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr

Last edited by SueM in MN; 11-11-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
The big thing about Peter Pan would be that they can't slow or stop it to give more time for loading. Would that be an issue for him?

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
jrtoastyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
The big thing about Peter Pan would be that they can't slow or stop it to give more time for loading. Would that be an issue for him?
I don't believe so. In the context of normal, day to day activities, I think he'll be able to do most everything he could normally do, he just won't be able to do them for very long at once. Getting up and more or less walking onto a ride would not be a problem, but being required to stand or walk without a break for 10-15 minutes might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
He would need a DAS to go on that or any other attraction.
I'm assuming you mean that he would NOT need a DAS to go on anything, and if that's the case, I don't think we would need one. I was under the impression that there were certain rides that you essentially needed one because there was a separate loading area if you had mobility issues, but if they'll allow you to access those areas if you need them regardless of whether or not we have a DAS, we'll get along fine without one.

Thanks for the intel, all, I appreciate it.

Owner since June 2011

Old 11-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I don't believe so. In the context of normal, day to day activities, I think he'll be able to do most everything he could normally do, he just won't be able to do them for very long at once. Getting up and more or less walking onto a ride would not be a problem, but being required to stand or walk without a break for 10-15 minutes might be.

I'm assuming you mean that he would NOT need a DAS to go on anything, and if that's the case, I don't think we would need one. I was under the impression that there were certain rides that you essentially needed one because there was a separate loading area if you had mobility issues, but if they'll allow you to access those areas if you need them regardless of whether or not we have a DAS, we'll get along fine without one.

Thanks for the intel, all, I appreciate it.
TYPO - yes, you are correct. With a wheelchair or ECV, he would NOT need a DAS for those attractions.
I put in he would NOT need a DAS, but I must have hit a wrong letter and autocorrect changed it.

They are giving return times to ALL guests with mobility devices at some attractions that don't have Mainstream lines. To get a return time at those attractions, a guest either needs a DAS card OR a mobility device.
He would go to the attraction and ask what to do. If the wait is short, they may just allow him right in. If it's longer, they may give a return time card (different than a DAS Return Time).

Mainstream Lines are ones that are accessible thru the main line. The ones that are not Mainstream Lines are mostly older ones that they were not able to make accessible.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
Lsdolphin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post

My nephew has difficulty with the moving walkways and the last time we tried Peter Pan the CM told us not to worry about going fast enough to board the first vehicle but to get on whichever one we could and they did hold up the rest of the line just long enough for me to get him on ride. The CMs are not allowed to physically assist. Having said that, it was a bit difficult to get him on ride and this might be a ride we will skip.
Lsdolphin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
triciari
DIS Veteran

My 10 year old broke her ankle the day before our trip! We used a wheelchair for her, and were able to do everything (without a DAS card). She was able to sit in the chair until it was time to board at every ride. Had to hop about 20 feet at Buzz, maybe 40 at Haunted Mansion, but other than that, less than 10 feet from where we left the chair to where she got in her seat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: