Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
stephanie97355
Earning My Ears

First EVER Disneyland Trip---AND FIRST EVER FAMILY VACATION!

We are so excited to be going on our first ever family vacation this May! My husband and I are taking our 3 kids in May, My son will be turning 10, daughter will be turning 8 and my littlest boy is 4!

We will be driving, its about 17 hours and will be doing it in 2 days. We have already decided to stay at the Desert Inn and Suites across the road from Disneyland entrance. We booked a double room. And we decided on 4 days in the park.

A few questions/pointers APPRECIATED

1. My 2 older kids have a lot of anxiety and ADHD which is why we have never braved a vacation before. We are going the first week of May because I read on a website it's one of the slowest times to go.
Anyone have any pointers for kiddos with anxiety?

2.Any MUSTS???

3. Any TIPS????

Thanks! We are so excited, I've already decided we are going to be that crazy family in matching shirts! =) I found some iron on transfers from etsy I want to get. We will be matching all 4 days!! My husband and 10 year old will be thrilled.
stephanie97355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie97355 View Post
We are so excited to be going on our first ever family vacation this May! My husband and I are taking our 3 kids in May, My son will be turning 10, daughter will be turning 8 and my littlest boy is 4!

We will be driving, its about 17 hours and will be doing it in 2 days. We have already decided to stay at the Desert Inn and Suites across the road from Disneyland entrance. We booked a double room. And we decided on 4 days in the park.

1. My 2 older kids have a lot of anxiety and ADHD which is why we have never braved a vacation before. We are going the first week of May because I read on a website it's one of the slowest times to go.

2.Any MUSTS???

3. Any TIPS????

Thanks! We are so excited, I've already decided we are going to be that crazy family in matching shirts! =) I found some iron on transfers from etsy I want to get. We will be matching all 4 days!! My husband and 10 year old will be thrilled.
WELCOME!!! Congrats on deciding on taking a Disneyland trip!!

17 hours.......are you coming from Oregon or Washington by chance? We live in Oregon and have taken many a road trip down to Disneyland. We also have stayed at Desert Inn & Suites. The location is fabulous but it's not a fancy place (so just be aware of that). I would stay there again......it's not a bad place.....just no frills. Pool is inside and small and if they still offer a breakfast, don't plan on a big meal....it wasn't that spectacular.

I have 2 kids with anxiety & ADHD.....they LOVE Disney!! We found letting the kids see youtube videos of the rides and the park helped ease some fears and actually get them excited to see things. Make sure your kids see pictures of the characters so they understand how big they are. Your kid could love Mickey Mouse but when they see a 5 foot Mickey coming at them.....it can send even the bravest kids running.

Go on the Disneyland.com website to familiarize yourself & your kids with the parks & what is there. Fantasyland is a must for all families. Do this first thing in the day, as this part of the park tends to be the busiest.

Get an idea of the restaurants & menus by checking out allears.net (prices are sometimes listed as well). 2 months prior to your trip, you might want to make a few reservations for table service meals (ones you sit at and get waited on) or character meals. (which are a great way to meet characters, get autographs & pictures and a meal too).

Read thru trip reports to get ideas of things to see & do. This is one of my reports from December 2011 with my kids. Lots of pictures!! CLICK HERE

Good luck in the planning.....it's half the fun of the trip!!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:34 PM   #3
awdsmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie97355 View Post

2.Any MUSTS???

3. Any TIPS????

How exciting!! You are going to create wonderful memories for your family.
Same question as above poster, are you from OR/WA? I'm also from Oregon and have made the road trip to DL before. I think breaking the drive up over a few days is a great idea. We stopped once in Yreka and also in Roseville (near Sacramento) to visit friends. Made it such a better drive.

Do your kiddos know you are going or is it a surprise?

What are they interested in? We love to watch Disney movies before our trips. Cars, Monsters Inc., Alice in Wonderland, even Pirates of the Caribbean and Indiana Jones since those are favorites of ours.

DS's Surprise 1st trip, Spring Break/March 2012 PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2883877

awdsmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: