Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #61
Kaelorian
Wishing upon a star...

Oh! The clear polish we used was only the 2 dollar kind, the others were expensive. I don't think it matters much though. We've slowly been switching to "safer" polish, and we didn't use those on the mbs. The more "organic" polishes would definitely not hold up.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #62
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

thanks for the ideas! My girls both ordered the pink MB and I thought we would buy the band-its to differentiate. but since they are not holding up well, I will use your nail polish trick instead.
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #63
TCB in FLA
Mouseketeer

I haven't seen the MagicBands in person yet (waiting on mine for my January marathon trip!), but was wondering if the old Disney Crocs charms (they had a fancy name that I can't recall) would work? My youngest DS had quite the collection that he would admire rather than put on his shoes (and still in a ziplock bag in his dresser).

Disney Marathon January 2014

Disney Dream 3/30/14
Me and DH , DS13 DS11
TCB in FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #64
Mom2darlingboys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCB in FLA View Post
I haven't seen the MagicBands in person yet (waiting on mine for my January marathon trip!), but was wondering if the old Disney Crocs charms (they had a fancy name that I can't recall) would work?
I don't think the Jibbitz would work. If I recall correctly, the backs did not come off those things and you had to work them through the Crocs holes. The holes in the MBs seem small - more like the holes in a watch band, so no way to squeeze the Jibbitz back through. Even if you could, it wouldn't be comfortable against your wrist all day, I would imagine, which is likely why Disney went with the design they did (and why they keep falling out... they would need an uncomfortable back to keep them in place).

Besides, I don't imagine Disney is overly concerned with people losing them - my guess would be they're hoping to end up selling more! Not sure I'd buy them more than once, so maybe not!

Love the nail polish versions - I might try red with white polka dots for Minnie, to go with my pedicure in Disney!

May 2008 POFQ - May 2009 POFQ - May 2010 CBR - October 2011 POR - September 2012 BWV - February 2013 BC/Poly - December 2013 POR - May 2014 POR/POLY

Mom2darlingboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #65
tigger&tigerlover
Mouseketeer

I've just used a cheap fingernail polish with glitter for mine. I messed up the polish in a few places, so instead of using remover, I thought I'd try to rub the polish off to test it. I couldn't rub it off at all, even with the metal fingernail file I tried. That's only with 2 coats.

I'm still working on it. When I'm satisfied, I'll get a picture up.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #66
erika21
Earning My Ears

I love the nail polish idea! Some of those are SO cute!
erika21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #67
jelloarms
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaelorian View Post

They look AMAZING! The red one is my favorite...I'm sure you'll have so many guests asking you where you got them. I am considering going the nail polish route too but am afraid I will mess it up.
jelloarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #68
Kaelorian
Wishing upon a star...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger&tigerlover View Post
I've just used a cheap fingernail polish with glitter for mine. I messed up the polish in a few places, so instead of using remover, I thought I'd try to rub the polish off to test it. I couldn't rub it off at all, even with the metal fingernail file I tried. That's only with 2 coats.

I'm still working on it. When I'm satisfied, I'll get a picture up.
I used remover on a q-tip for the edges, and a super fine nail polish paint brush dipped in remover for the grooves around the mickey heads. Should work fine.

I can't wait to see yours! I bet they look great!
Old 11-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #69
gidgetgoes
tiki girl

can anyone else verify that the bands covered in nail polish are working? i blinged mine out, but now i'm wondering if i've rendered it useless. well, not useless...it's a cute, sparkly silver bracelet with a mickey head on it and little snowflakes around the band.

luckily, this is just a two day trip in two weeks, and we'll be back in january with all new bands. so it's a good test. just wondering if anyone else can verify that a polished band will work before i go walking up to the ME stand trying to use a pretty but broken band.

is there any way to check to see if the RFID is still working before disney? anyplace else use the technology where you could at least see if a signal is coming out? is that even a thing? I AM NOT A SCIENTIST, MAN.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #70
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Read upthread there are a couple of posts.

The original nail polish post used hers after it was blinged. IN fact people even talked briefly about whether using polish remover to neaten the edges would damage it and it was stated that it did not.

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:02 AM   #71
Kaelorian
Wishing upon a star...

We'll be there on the 2nd and will double verify and post then. I'm not worried about it with how rfid works. If anything, it's been reported how easy it is to replace your mbs, and it doesn't change your MDE. Just stuck with a boring grey one, same as if you lost it.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #72
Twingle
DIS Veteran

Love the look of the nailpolish ones - can't wait to see more!

Avatar compliments of Mr. DiRTy BuNNy, who created it when I informed him that I didn't have an avatar because I couldn't find one that was "me".
Twingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #73
KaLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaelorian View Post
...We'll be there on the 2nd and will double verify and post then....
I can't wait to hear how it works! This may be how I can get a purple band, even a purple sparkly band!!

Me28 DH30 DD6.5 DD3.5
Past Trips:
April 27-28, 2009: All Star Music Resort - Country Western Area
This was our quick-take-a-Disney-vacation-to-get-a-feel-of-what-it's-like-before-we-have-kids-to-drag-along trip.
Planning in Progress:
May 4-10, 2014: Coronado Springs Resort
This is our the-kids-are-only-little-for-so-long-so-lets-make-this-as-magical-and-as-awesome-as-possible trip.
KaLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #74
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

We plan to do our polish tomorrow and we will use them Dec 1st.

Love the look!
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #75
mikat
Mouseketeer

Just finished modding our MBs for our Christmas trip:

I used a combination of Sharpie, nail polish, and Oil-based paint pens. HUGE thanks to mrsxsparrow for the idea of the Blue Chrome color - DS went nuts when he saw that! One thing - I put a chip-resistant top coat on the blue one, and you can't see it, but there are cracks in the top coat when I bend it. I'm going to have DS try it on and see what band holes he has it set on, and then try to apply another top coat to seal the mini-cracks. The other three have no top coat. The crystals are Swarovski flat-back crystals from A.C. Moore, super-glued on. So excited to wear them to the parks!
First Trip Ever - Poly - November 2010 * * * Star Wars Weekend - Dolphin - June 2011 * * * Solo Trip - Pop Century - January 2012 * * * Dream a Little Dream Disney 4-Night Cruise - March 2012 * * * Couples Trip to Disneyland - July 2012 * * * Work Conference in WDW - Pop Century - July 2012 * * * Mom & Boys Trip - Pop Century and Wyndham Bonnet Creek - August 2012 * * * Work Conference in WDW - Pop Century - January 2013 * * * Couples Trip - Animal Kingdom Lodge - August 2013 * * * WDW - DCL Christmas in the World and on the Dream - Art of Animation - December 2013 * * * Work Conference in WDW - Yacht Club - March 2014 * * * Mommy & Son Trip - Caribbean Beach - July 2014
mikat is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: