Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #151
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefecatzz View Post
This looks amazing! Ill be curious to find out how the nail art tatoos held up after your trip. I wonder if you could use temporary body tattoos & seal them w/a top coat?? I might have to try that when I get mine in the mail (still waiting as an AP holder..but this just made me start to get more excited about them!)
I used the nail art tattoos/stickers on mine and they held up just fine. My 8 yo had them on hers (see my post earlier in thread, like page 2 or so.)

I added nail polish and top coat to them...3-4 layers polish and 2 layers top coat.

Good luck!
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:19 PM   #152
cgattis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallie724 View Post
I decorated all 8 of ours for our trip on Thursday. I will take a picture of all 8 later on but this is the one I'm most proud of. It's all fingernail polish and the LSU and the tiger is nail art tatoos.
Whoa!!! Well I'm no LSU fan either (Roll Tide, but go SEC!), but that is fabulous!! You should be set up doing tiger nails on gameday! Please post the rest when you finish, and come back and let us know how they hold up.
cgattis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #153
aladdinsgirl
There's something comforting about being in a house where dog hair litters the sofa and the bedspreads.--Anonymous

Decorated my MB last night for our trip on 1/11. I originally had a green band and I used OPI's Khloe Had A Little Lam Lam. I figured since Khloe and Lamar were no more, it would be okay to use all the nail polish up. Thanks for all the great ideas!

3x Full Marathon Finisher, 10x Half Marathon Finisher

aladdinsgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #154
Ayleana
Earning My Ears

Played with our old bands while waiting for the new set to come in for our next trip. The first was actually a shameful gray (hubby's favorite color) but I painted it with celeb city then did the outer band part in midnight blue. The middle was pink, I just went over it with a light pink/red color and outlined Mickey in the same celeb city (i'm really liking that color). The last one was my daughter's (she wore it all day yesterday with no chipping and I've yet to put a clear coat on it), it was painted with a blue glitter polish then a dark red for Mickey to make him stand out.
Think for my next trip I'm going to do the blue band with the blue glitter polish but use the silver for Mickey Mouse. My hubby is also getting a blue band, but said he will decorate it himself.
Ayleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #155
tcherjen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I decorated all 8 of ours for our trip on Thursday. I will take a picture of all 8 later on but this is the one I'm most proud of. It's all fingernail polish and the LSU and the tiger is nail art tatoos.

OMG!! That look's awesome! Could you post step by step directions on how you did it with the nail art and stuff? I would love to personalize ours when we get them. Thanks so much!!!

medhdd8ds16 dd19

http://www.pinterest.com/tcherjen/
tcherjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #156
Amstar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikat View Post
Just finished modding our MBs for our Christmas trip:

I used a combination of Sharpie, nail polish, and Oil-based paint pens. HUGE thanks to mrsxsparrow for the idea of the Blue Chrome color - DS went nuts when he saw that! One thing - I put a chip-resistant top coat on the blue one, and you can't see it, but there are cracks in the top coat when I bend it. I'm going to have DS try it on and see what band holes he has it set on, and then try to apply another top coat to seal the mini-cracks. The other three have no top coat. The crystals are Swarovski flat-back crystals from A.C. Moore, super-glued on. So excited to wear them to the parks!

Did you put nail polish on the pink one??? Clear coat with sparkles, then the bling?
Amstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #157
mikat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstar View Post
Did you put nail polish on the pink one??? Clear coat with sparkles, then the bling?
The pink one was already pink, I just superglued on Swarovski crystals (blue, purple, and clear) that I bought at a craft store. That particular magicband held up the best - I never lost a single crystal and it was so easy to make.

I received at least 5 CM comments *a day* on the MBs - they loved seeing the MBs decorated, and on two separate occasions they asked to take photos to show to their managers. Here's a photo mid-trip:

The crystals on my band and the kid's bands were solid as a rock. My DH's band (the Tigger band) started to smudge slightly, but not bad at all.

Here it is after 5 days at the AKL tree:

I talked to several CMs and guests, and the universal opinion is that Sharpie doesn't hold up. It fades and smears off. I used oil-based paint pens for all of my artwork, and it held up pretty well. Also, on the metallic blue one, I put several coats of clear coat, and the clear coat cracked when you bent the MB to put it on. Looking back on it, I think I would leave the clear coat off, or put it on very thinly.

I love the recent addition of nail tattoos - that could be sooo much fun! Decorating our MBs was one of highlights in the anticipation of waiting for our trip. And the kids had a great time wearing their "special bracelets".
First Trip Ever - Poly - November 2010 * * * Star Wars Weekend - Dolphin - June 2011 * * * Solo Trip - Pop Century - January 2012 * * * Dream a Little Dream Disney 4-Night Cruise - March 2012 * * * Couples Trip to Disneyland - July 2012 * * * Work Conference in WDW - Pop Century - July 2012 * * * Mom & Boys Trip - Pop Century and Wyndham Bonnet Creek - August 2012 * * * Work Conference in WDW - Pop Century - January 2013 * * * Couples Trip - Animal Kingdom Lodge - August 2013 * * * WDW - DCL Christmas in the World and on the Dream - Art of Animation - December 2013 * * * Work Conference in WDW - Yacht Club - March 2014 * * * Mommy & Son Trip - Caribbean Beach - July 2014
mikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #158
Ero_FL
AP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwdw View Post
In general, I was surprised how FEW guests had even pre-ordered their MB's - alot of gray. Now - it was clear that some of those gray bands were probably coming from international places - but I do think there's population not really in tune with what is going on before they arrive. Not everyone reads DIS!
I knew I could customize ours because the info came in the thumb drive mailing we got the week before Christmas. I had the kids come in and we watched the videos. I didn't learn anything new I hadn't seen on the DisBoards, but anyone who got it would have that info. Maybe people who got last-minute orders didn't have a choice?

We have until May 7th to customize ours- and we've done what we can so far. I have a red band ordered, but I really want purple. I saw purple listed on the Disney blog and somewhere else and I am totally bummed they don't have purple. So much that I'm going to write them about it, hoping by May they'll add purple. My eldest DD has blue, DS has green, the baby has pink and DH wants to keep grey (he'd get black if they had it).
Old 01-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #159
tcherjen
DIS Veteran

Got me thinking.... So many ways to personalize. I am so excited!! Do you think you could apply a sticker and modge podge it?

medhdd8ds16 dd19

http://www.pinterest.com/tcherjen/
tcherjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #160
ericasatx
Earning My Ears

Quote:

My husband has just been tolerating me when I've showed him the decorated bands. I showed him yours and I think it made his purple and gold beating heart skip a beat. Only problem, there are five us and I'm not sure I'm up to making 5 Tigah bands
ericasatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:41 AM   #161
SuzyQue
Figure Sk8r's Mom

Subscribing
SuzyQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #162
Amstar
Mouseketeer

How are the yellow bands??? Maybe paint some blue overalls on the band and glue on and eye and have a minion for a band.

Then turn a gray one into an ohio state helmet
Amstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #163
shell8558
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok my family is totally in love with the bands . Can you give some pointers on where you got the materials and how you applied everything . My husband and kids definately want that tiger purple and gold. I wouldn't mind having my Saints black and gold....
Old 01-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #164
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell8558 View Post
Ok my family is totally in love with the bands . Can you give some pointers on where you got the materials and how you applied everything . My husband and kids definately want that tiger purple and gold. I wouldn't mind having my Saints black and gold....
To make a gold band, we ordered a yellow and painted it with a few coats of gold nail polish. We did a Christmas theme and it turned out pretty well!
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #165
njpyro
Disney Addict

I'm planning on decorating my band this week! I have green and am leaning towards Jiminy Cricket, my favorite character. Starting to wish I ordered blue to make a tardis. But that's ok, it just means I need to make another trip soon.
In regards to the gray band of shame, my husband actually ordered one as his first choice. He originally said he didn't want his decorated, but is now thinking of making it into the Death Star. I'm hoping to post pictures when I'm finished.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: