Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Heatho
Earning My Ears

Unhappy Are all Disney cruises as disappointing as the Disney Dream?

We just came back from our first Disney cruise- a 3 night aboard the Dream. (We have cruised on several other cruise lines in the past.) We were so disappointed- especially with the service at dinner and the quality of food. We expected to have the most amazing trip of our lives and it was no where close. We attemped to use the Dine and Play option for our daughter, but the waiter never brought her food fast enough for her to be able to leave with the counselors. The counselors also never made it very aware that they were there to pick up kids. (My husband walked her up the club 2 of the 3 nights because we didn't know the counselors had already come.) It took forever to get our food- even when we were one of the first ones in the dining room, and the waiter continued to get things wrong. I felt like I was annoying them every time I placed my order. The wait staff and room steward never attempted to get to know us or tell us about themselves. There was no entertainment at dinner, no surprise character greetings or walkthroughs at dinner or at the Oceaneers club.

The only things I was impressed with was the shows- awesome effects, the cleanliness of the ship and the activities and food at Castaway Cay.

So was our waiter just a dud? Did we expect too much? My coworker has been on two cruises on the Disney Magic- both several years ago. She said that the characters did come in during dinner and there was dinner entertainment on a few nights. Do they just do these things on the longer cruises? Or are those just perks of the past?
Heatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
Gatrcruzer
Mouseketeer

Our first Disney cruise was on the Dream, and given our previous cruising experiences, we found it to be just okay. Our room steward was horrible, and dinner was always crazy and slow. We gave it another try and went on the Wonder. Soooo much better!!! I did miss Remy (not on the classic ships), but service on that cruise was outstanding, dinner was much faster, excellent waiter, great cabin steward, Castaway Cay was less crowded, and just an easier, less-crowded feel to the ship. New is not always better.
Gatrcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatho View Post
We just came back from our first Disney cruise- a 3 night aboard the Dream. (We have cruised on several other cruise lines in the past.) We were so disappointed- especially with the service at dinner and the quality of food. We expected to have the most amazing trip of our lives and it was no where close. We attemped to use the Dine and Play option for our daughter, but the waiter never brought her food fast enough for her to be able to leave with the counselors. The counselors also never made it very aware that they were there to pick up kids. (My husband walked her up the club 2 of the 3 nights because we didn't know the counselors had already come.) It took forever to get our food- even when we were one of the first ones in the dining room, and the waiter continued to get things wrong. I felt like I was annoying them every time I placed my order. The wait staff and room steward never attempted to get to know us or tell us about themselves. There was no entertainment at dinner, no surprise character greetings or walkthroughs at dinner or at the Oceaneers club.

The only things I was impressed with was the shows- awesome effects, the cleanliness of the ship and the activities and food at Castaway Cay.

So was our waiter just a dud? Did we expect too much? My coworker has been on two cruises on the Disney Magic- both several years ago. She said that the characters did come in during dinner and there was dinner entertainment on a few nights. Do they just do these things on the longer cruises? Or are those just perks of the past?
Perhaps the three night option might be one of the issues. Very difficult for the staff to get to know anyone so briefly. We were on a 7 night Fantasy cruise a few weeks ago and adored our stateroom hostess and both servers.

DWF
disneywonderfun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
papertraveller
DIS Veteran

I've never seen characters come through the dining rooms.
2009 WDW @ Poly;
2010 Aboard the Disney Magic (Eastern); August first trip home @ BLT; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2011 AKL Kidani; Vero Beach; Disney Magic (Western); BLT ; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Royal Palms;
2012 Beach Club Villas; Wilderness Lodge; Disney Magic (Eastern); Vero Beach; BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2013 BLT; Disney Fantasy (Eastern); Wilderness Lodge; OKW-BLT; December Marriott's Cypress Harbor;
2014 OKW; Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve; BLT; Wilderness Lodge; Boardwalk; Saratoga Springs; DVC Member Cruise
papertraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

Belle came through Royal Palace when we sailed the Dream, (August 2011.)

Mickey appeared at AP (first AP rotation) on the Magic this past February. However, haven't seen any characters in the MDRs on the Fantasy.

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
jenniy
Mouseketeer

I really thought there should have been more characters walking around and especially at dinner. My kids were bored at dinner and a character appearance would have been awesome. The first night of dinner was super slow but the next 2 were great. We did the 3 day Dream and loved it otherwise though. The character situation was one of the only things I didn't love. We only got pics with the princesses after an hour wait, no other characters because my kids did not want to wait in a huge line, they wanted to go do something fun.
jenniy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
barbarasc
CruiseCrazy

we've be on 14 Disney cruises covering all 4 ships and never, ever have we seen the characters at dinner and I for one am glad we didn't. I can't begin to imagine the craziness that would create for the servers and guests alike.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
WiscBill
Mouseketeer

I am sorry you did not have a good time. As others will also no doubt say, the main problem was the three day cruise. I have only done one and would never do it again. It' s just too rushed. Although you didn't say so, it sounds like you also had the second seating (the counselors don't pick up for the main seating). I've only done that one time and it did seem slow compared to main seating. As for the characters during dinner, aside from Mickey showing up for the animators palace show on the classic ships, the only time I have seen them in the main dining rooms (except for the character breakfast on the seven day) is when they are walking through to get to one of the cast stairways. Regarding the food on the Dream, I only did that ship once and it was the only time I got an entree in the main dining room I really didn't like (it was the steak with lobster medallions. Cold and rubbery)

By the way, how did your child like the Animator's show with Crush?
WiscBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
MND
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry your Disney Dream cruise was not magical. We've done DCL cruises within the last 2 years and we've enjoyed both. However, you touched on a couple of points that we noticed on our cruises.

We had issues with the dine and play option on both cruises. In fact, on our most recent Fantasy cruise, I ended up, just walking our 9 year old to the club instead of trying to time our dinner to the pick up. I agree with you that it can take a long time for food orders to come out and on our Dream cruise last year it was difficult to to see when the counselors arrived and it was time for the children to leave.

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
Happy100
DIS Veteran

So sorry to hear of your disappointment! I hope you give DCL another shot but a longer 7 day would probably be better.

Also as noted...I too have had issues with missing the cast member pick up for Dine and Play, not b/c of food getting taking too long but b/c we didn't realize they came and went. To avoid this I tell the wait staff every night if my son intends to dine and play.

Disney Fantasy 1/3/15 "Finally Gold"
Disney Fantasy 3/29/14
Disney Fantasy 12/15/12
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 2/12/12
Disney Magic 7 day Western 10/16/10
Disney Wonder 4 day Bahamas 8/22/09
Happy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We attemped to use the Dine and Play option for our daughter, but the waiter never brought her food fast enough for her to be able to leave with the counselors. The counselors also never made it very aware that they were there to pick up kids. (My husband walked her up the club 2 of the 3 nights because we didn't know the counselors had already come.)

.....There was no entertainment at dinner, no surprise character greetings or walkthroughs at dinner or at the Oceaneers club.

Something I've tried to post about a whole lot, ever since our Feb cruise, is that it is OUR responsibility to get kids to the counselors for dine&play. I did not realize that, and was disappointed. But it was totally MY fault.

I realized that even more a month or so ago when someone pointed out that the info is in the Navigators. I noticed last week, while on the Dream again, that it's not just in one Navigator. It's in ALL of them.

The bit not in there is that we have to tell our servers that we want to take part in that option. (and, of course, it's only for LATE seating) Then we have to keep track of time and get them out there by 9:15, which is the time given in the Navigators (at least on our cruises) for when the counselors will be outside the dining room.

I'm still mystified by Royal Palace, though. On our Feb cruise (when we had late dining and it would have been applicable) we had the very first booth in RP and I was facing the atrium door, and I NEVER saw the counselors. So I wonder if they came by the *side* entrance, not what I feel is the main entrance?

Apart from the AP "show", there's no entertainment. And I never expected characters to come through. I'm sad that you had that expectation because that expectation not being met caused you to think less of your cruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarasc View Post
we've be on 14 Disney cruises covering all 4 ships and never, ever have we seen the characters at dinner and I for one am glad we didn't. I can't begin to imagine the craziness that would create for the servers and guests alike.
I agree 100%

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 10-21-2013 at 08:11 PM.
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
Tink-n-Belle
DIS Veteran

The character interaction throughout the ship was fantastic.

Go to the character dance party or the see ya real soon send off. The kids had such a fun time.

Maybe your waiter was new, but our assistant waiter was a blast and we never waited too long for our food. I also thought the food was great, best I have had even at the buffets.

I have sailed on several lines and never had a head waiter as good as Dennis on the Norway on our honeymoon. But I never enjoyed a cruise as much as the Disney dream this past august. It was just me and Two teen DD, as we left DH at home..... The girls hung out at the VIBE most of the time, but every was just perfect on this cruise.

Now my last cruise, DH got sick and quarantined to inside cabin( we had a balcony) and couldn't come out for 3 days...until the last day, but still wasn't feeling great. The kids were not in the same age group, so they couldn't hang out with each other and my dd who was teen got to hang out with kids who talked about pot and stuff. Made DD very uncomfortable......so I let kids go off on there own as long as they reported back every hour...... Which they didn't and I walked the ship 5 times trying to find them........etc etc.......but even then we made the best of it and my and the girls didn't get sick so I was so happy about that.

But the point is every vacation isn't perfect, in fact we just went to Disney for the weekend and one DD was sick and almost fainted at Epcot so we spent the weekend in the room... Thank goodness we own DVC...... And we were in a 1 bedroom at the BW.....again we made the best of it.

BWV 12,11,10,09,08,07, 06(2) *BLT 13,12,11,10 *BCV 13,12,06 *AKV 08*VB 06,08 & 09*Cont 02 *Poly 86 *Grand Floridian 88 *All Stars 94 & 04 *Club villas 84,85,87,90,92 & 99 *offsite 83,81,80,76 &73
Tink-n-Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #13
jczosack
Pixie Duster

Quote:

So sorry to hear this but I've seen many posts about how unhappy people are with their experience on the Dream. I don't think the Fantasy is a whole lot better - those ships are just way too big.

We've been on the Magic three times and are getting ready for our fourth cruise next month. The Magic is the only ship we've ever been on and we love it!!!! The whole feel of the ship is intimate. I can't even imagine cruising with double the passengers on the Dream and Fantasy. I'm sure I wouldn't like that.

As far as characters/shows during dining....The only place you'll see a show is in Animator's with Sorcerer Mickey and the characters only stroll around during the Character Breakfast, not during dinner....you were misinformed.

We did have a bad experience on one cruise last year with our servers, nice but very slow and got things wrong....we complained and we got a new table with new servers. You also have to remember that the cast members have a big turnover, they get off and move to the other ships or their contract might be over and a new group will come on....they get new cast members just about each and every time they're in the home port. All the cast members work incredibly hard in my opinion, I wouldn't want their jobs.

As far as the food....if you don't like something, you can return it and get something else or order two different dinners and eat what you like. We've had good meals and not so good meals and we've returned meals. I know the Magic got all new menus now that they've redone the ship, I can't wait to try some of the new things.

Don't give up on DCL, try the Magic; besides, it's like a brand new ship now with all the upgrades. Of course if you went into the vacation thinking it was going to be the "Dream vacation of a lifetime" there was no room for error. We just go with the punches, it could always be worse - you could have been in a hurricane or lost power, or worst yet had your long-planned trip cancelled like the passengers on the Magic October 20th cruise. I always try to look at the positive side of everything, if nobody got sick, if nobody got hurt, and you all got to spend a beautiful day at Castaway Cay....how could it be that bad?
jczosack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
MassDisLovers
A dream is a wish your heart makes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarasc View Post
I was thinking the same thing! How crazy that would be with children (some unattended) running to hug characters while waiters try to balance trays and avoid children. Wouldn't be good!

To the OP - Nothing is for everyone - maybe a Disney cruise just isn't a good fit for you and your family. Luckily there are lots of other great vacations out there, just waiting to be booked!
Carnival Fantasy 8/1992- the "Hurricane Andrew cruise"! ** Disney Magic 2/2002- Eastern ** Disney Magic 4/2004 - Western ** RCI Mariner of the Seas 4/2005 ** Carnival Celebration 8/2005 ** Carnival Liberty 4/2006 * Disney Magic 12/2006 - special Christmas cruise ** RCI Adventure of the Seas 4/2007 ** Disney Magic 4/2008 - Western ** Disney Magic 2/2010 - Eastern **RCI Monarch of the Seas 1/2011 ** Disney Wonder 8/9/11 - Alaska ** RCI Freedom of the Seas 3/2013 ** Disney Wonder 5/2014- California Coast **Disney's Magic Music Days 1999, 2003, & 2007 **Disneyland 1993, 2006, 2007 & 2010 *** Walt Disney World - too many trips to count !***
DVC members since 1992~ OKW & BDWK
MassDisLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
jlemieu1
DIS Veteran

Sorry your trip was not as magical as you expected.

My cruises have not been super pixie dust magical but I still will only cruise Disney. I have been on the Dream twice in Cat T and Cat R. The first cruise I had very quite and rookie asst. server. Didn't see the room sewart until last day but room was always clean. But overall I was very happy with the cruise. Both cruises for a total of 7 days I never saw any characters MDR.

My second cruise I didn't a single complaint about any CMs, I was bummed I didn't use the full perks of the Cat R.
.... many other .....
10/01 - RCL - VoS 3nts. - honeymoon
09/00 - MK - Proposal
jlemieu1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: