DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #31
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran

Funny thing. When people buy direct OR resale and don't tell anyone about it, no one comments. When they come on a public forum whose sole purpose is discussing purchasing DVC and post their decision, people do comment, and offer their opinions.

And yet some other people take umbrage that opinions would be offered. In an opinion public board forum. Always makes me laugh...

To the original poster, if you bought VGF, direct was the obvious correct decision currently. But for a buyer wanting AKV or any other resort, they're throwing money away IMO if they don't buy resale in MOST cases.

And after all, the point of a site like disboards is for people to post their opinions, right??? It would be silly for a person to post here if they didn't want public input, right???

Or am I missing something?
Msmithmd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #32
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydad33 View Post
We just bought DVC direct while at AKL for AKV yesterday! We wanted to buy our first points direct through Disney but I would like to add more points from the resale market in the future. Our sales person said that Use Year is a big issue if adding on resale points in the future. He said if we bought points that have a different UY month than ours that it causes "major headaches" and isn't worth it. Is there truth to this? Should UY be a consideration when buying resale? Or is he just trying to keep us buying direct?
If one plans to buy resale and retail both, it's generally far better to buy resale first so you can then add the same UY retail fairly easily.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #33
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisK View Post
I have to agree with Disney Dreams here. You'd like to think (and there is always exceptions) that if you're buying something like this, you'd do some research. My fiance and I knew we were going direct. We preferred dealing with Disney. We wanted VGF. We are very very happy. We knew all about the resale, and had done our homework.....after which, we were still 100% happy paying more to deal with Disney.
IMHO, our goal should be to provide the info needed for potential buyers to make an informed choice. You made an informed choice and are happy with the results so good for you.

We all have opinions - sometimes it's tough to separate "fact" from "opinion", especially when we express our opinions as though they are true facts.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #34
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
We just bought DVC direct while at AKL for AKV yesterday! We wanted to buy our first points direct through Disney but I would like to add more points from the resale market in the future. Our sales person said that Use Year is a big issue if adding on resale points in the future. He said if we bought points that have a different UY month than ours that it causes "major headaches" and isn't worth it. Is there truth to this? Should UY be a consideration when buying resale? Or is he just trying to keep us buying direct?
We own two UY's and at first, I wasn't going to go that route because I started that way and it didn't seem like a good idea.

However, when we added on more points, I realized that as long as I was buying enough to function as it's own membership, having two is not quite as big of a deal as I thought.

Is it confusing some times? Yes, and I have to think about which points can be used for which trips so that I plan things efficiently since I also have two home resorts--BLT and BWV.

My goal is to eventually get BWV points for my June UY. If you can find AKV with the same UY than its definitely easier. However, we have found that having a Dec UY along with June allows us to take our Memorial Day weekend trips without worry as we would have never started that if we only had the June UY.

With typical Fall travel, I would say that April is the farthest back in terms of UY I would buy. I think a June UY would be better as that would still cover summer, fall, and early winter trips. You'd still get 2013 UY points--as mentioned, you get those buying direct because you are entitled to current UY points--which could then be banked for next year.

Remember, UY has nothing to do when you book and you don't have to wait until your UY begins to have access to points. It is all based on time of travel so this November, you could book a October 2014 trip and be able to use banked 2013, 2014 and borrow from your 2015 UY to cover that trip.

Good luck!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #35
nkosiek
Mouseketeer

OP, you mentioned you were thinking of VGF instead. If that's where you truly want to be, why not just go that route? I'm assuming it's the discount per point on AKV but is that discount worth it when you state that you'll really want to stay at VGF and you may not be able to get in at the 7 month mark?

Forget reconsidering for resale or UY, but perhaps reconsider based on this fact. Heck, if UY is a deal, when deciding on VGF you can tell them you really would prefer some other month.
nkosiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #36
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post

Nope, not sensitive, just noting an observation of what occurs anytime someone posts they bought direct.
It doesn't happen every time. In this case the op has time to change heir decision. They don't totally understand uy. They kind of believe that they got something extra which shows a lack of complete understanding. Then later we find that akv isn't actually where they want to stay! The response to this poster was absolutely perfect IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisK View Post
I have to agree with Disney Dreams here. You'd like to think (and there is always exceptions) that if you're buying something like this, you'd do some research. My fiance and I knew we were going direct. We preferred dealing with Disney. We wanted VGF. We are very very happy. We knew all about the resale, and had done our homework.....after which, we were still 100% happy paying more to deal with Disney.
We are happy too. But we had fewer misconceptions than the op. the op hasn't done 100% of the homework IMO. And your resort is brand new...not much on the resale market yet.

Op if you want to stay at vgf, buy there. Rescind akv and get what you want. It makes far more sense since you are buying direct anyway.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #37
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfanforlife View Post
True, although the MS agent I spoke to told me we would not have to change rooms. I will let you know what happens. If we have to, then I will know in the future to transfer points! I just figured keep it simpler if I didn't have to.
When you check in for the first reservation, just ask to make sure you are blocked into the same villa. And you might not be able to do online checkin. I couldn't do it for my reservation last week.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #38
GoofyDad1970
Earning My Ears

Finding the right number of points for the right use year at the right resort for the right price is not easy. Personally, I wouldn't buy direct but that is your choice. But, if you are bent on having some direct points and some resale points, you'd have a much easier time making your initial purchase on the resale market, and doing your add-on wi direct points, since Disney can give you whatever use year you want. You still have time to cancel your direct buy and reverse things.
GoofyDad1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #39
disneydad33
Earning My Ears

Update - I cancelled my direct DVC purchase within the ten days and am looking at AKL resale now.
disneydad33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #40
Annielkd22222
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Update - I cancelled my direct DVC purchase within the ten days and am looking at AKL resale now.
I think that is a good financial move!
Annielkd22222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #41
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
When you check in for the first reservation, just ask to make sure you are blocked into the same villa. And you might not be able to do online checkin. I couldn't do it for my reservation last week.
Thanks for the heads up! I don't really mind either way if I do online check in or not. For that trip we flying in around 8 pm so it will be later than we normally arrive. We usually get an early morning flight.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: