Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

Halloween Party and DS4 birthday! 10/11-10/12/13

Me, DH, DS5 and DS4 (birthday boy) went to DL on 10/11-10/12/13. We arrived on Thursday night in good time...got up early Friday, although we were hoping the boys would sleep in a little bit. Then my DH got called from work and spent the next 3 hours working. (Which put him in a lovey mood). Then we were finally off to DTD. We had planned to eat at ESPN zone, then my DH wanted to try Trader Sams. We went in and it took forever for someone to acknowledge us and give us menus. Then we realized there wasn't anything our kids would really want to eat, and our DS4 was scared and thought the volcano was real so we went to go try Rainforest Café. (which also scared DS4, but he finally got over it after receiving his food). We had a great server and ok food...DS4 loved his dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets and ate ALL of them! So we were happy. DS5 liked his noodles with butter too LOL. DS4 was quite scared of the gorilla, so I had to keep explaining that he wasn't real and he stays in the same spot all day and night, and he doesn't eat or drink. So no more Rainforest Café for us for awhile, haha. Then we headed to ESPN zone to play some games...a favorite was the bowling game, and we were shocked how good the boys were! They also liked air hockey and the motorcycle games. We had fun, then headed back to the hotel for some quiet time and to get ready for the Halloween party...our plan was to enter at 4.

We all relaxed and enjoyed some quiet time. Then I started getting ready. I had to do my hair and make-up for the party. It didn't take me as long as I anticipated. And I was happy how it all turned out. Then we had to get on our costumes. After a couple minor repairs, we were on our way. A little after 4! Success. We had a 5:30 ADR at the Carnation. The lines were long to get in, but moved fast and we made friends with the nice people behind us. DS5 started to not feel well. We thought it was nerves, as he was excited and nervous for the party. We got in, got our paper ticket and wrist band, the CM told us if we didn't get enough candy we would be derezzed, so that was awesome! LOL. DS5 thought that was cool!

We stopped at the little souvenir stand at the right tunnel and bought DS5 a water (because I totally forgot to bring our cooler! Duh!) and the nice CM there gave us an empty bag to store our candy in. So nice!!

Then we headed to the Carnation after checking out the awesome decorations on MSUSA. We were early for our reservation, but they took us in right away. It was nice. I was still full from lunch, so I just got a side salad. DH got the soup. DS4 got mac n cheese and DS5 got the fried chicken. We all ate pretty well. Then we proceeded to get our costumes all set up and turned on. The CMs in the Carnation were so nice and loving our costumes. Then we headed over to ToonTown. Along the way, we heard so many people saying, Its TRON! saw a CM that said, Greetings Programs! It was awesome! I felt so happy for my DH who put countless hours of work into our costumes. The boys were SO excited. We dumped the stroller off at IASW, then got in line for ToonTown. We thought the line moved fast, and they were checking wristbands along the way. The first line we got in was a bit chaotic at first, because no one knew where to go, but the rest of the lines were fast and easy to navigate. We got A TON of candy in TT.

More to come!

Last edited by crystal1313; 10-25-2013 at 05:12 PM.
crystal1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

I think after that we headed to Tomorrowland because DS4 wanted to ride Buzz. Line wasn’t too bad. Then DS5 and DH wanted to ride Star tours….DS4 is a little timid about that ride (we always get the one with jar jar and the fish that tries to eat us, scares him!), so we opted to go back to the stroller and have a treat! So many people walked up to us about our costumes and took our photos! It was neat. Next, we decided to take photos in front of the castle since it was roped off and there wouldn’t be anyone in the background. They turned out so great!! Then we headed over to the Frontierland treat trail inside zocalo. It was fun! And we got to see Donald and Goofy! Then we headed back to the hub and debated about the parade….and ended up going to Adventureland because DS5 wanted to ride Indy for his first time ever (he was tall enough!) So DH took him on Indy and I wandered over to the ROA treat trail with DS4 because he wanted to trick or treat more. I could tell he was getting tired because he wanted to stay in his stroller in the line. He was a good boy still and lifted up his bag and yelled, “trick or treat” and said “thank you.” Then we went back to Adventureland and couldn’t find DH and DS5 for awhile and in that time DS4 fell asleep! Poor guy! He just got up way too early after a late night driving in the day before. We finally found each other and DS5 said he liked Indy! Yay! DH decided he wanted Starbucks and I thought MSUSA would be a nightmare to walk through with a stroller, so DS5 and asleep DS4 waited by the Jungle Cruise for DH to return. He came back saying MSUSA was dead and we should go there to watch fireworks. So off we went!

We found an awesome spot in the middle of the street (hardly anyone else around) and across from the Candy Palace and Silhouette studio. It was perfect! All 3 of us really enjoyed the fireworks, even DS5! We could see Jack, Zero and the projections on the castle. Pretty awesome!! I had heard horror stories of terrible crowds, so I prepared myself for the worst, so this was amazing!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

I took DS5 on Autopia next, which was fun as usual!! Then we had about 5 minutes before the second parade, so we found a spot right by Pixie Hollow and had great seats. DS5 really enjoyed it! It wasn’t much, but it was cute and I was happy to see it! We had 2 dancers in the parade say that our costumes were awesome! One even said the best costumes he had ever seen. That made DH really happy!

DH and DS5 attempted to ride Peter pan after that, but DS5 feet were hurting him-he had been walking all day. He was also really cold. So we took a couple more photos at the backside of the castle and tried to get him a hot chocolate at Starbucks, but he was so tired, we decided to leave. He was really upset and cried ☹ We assured him we would be back the next day, but I think he wanted to wear his costume all day. Poor guy!

As we were walking out we took some photos on Main Street and at the exit a large group of CM’s actually gave us a round of applause! So neat!! DH and DS5 were grinning from ear to ear!!

I was so worried about the crowds after reading reviews about the Halloween party, but we were pleasantly surprised! We had a great time and wouldn’t hesitate to go again! So fun!!!

Old 10-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #4
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

Saturday, we got a late start, but were still able to get RSR FP! Yay! For 7:10PM. We made sure DS4 had his bday button on! DS5 was in a weird mood and really whiney and complainy. It made for a difficult morning. He also would not put any weight on his foot. You would have thought it was broken! So poor DH carried him everywhere for half the day. He’s a tall boy and weighs 50 pounds! I tried to help out, but I couldn’t carry him as much. We kept asking to walk on it saying it would probably feel better if he stretched it out. He refused. Anyway, as I mentioned previously, DS4 is a little timid about rides, so we were all shocked when he requested to ride Mickey’s fun wheel, and a swinging car at that! LOL. He was fine during the line, I had to reassure him a couple times. (Usually he cries through all the line and we look like terrible evil parents who force him on…and the second he sits in the ride, he is happy and having fun, so this was a nice change!) The first time around was a bit much, even for DH and I! I don’t remember it going that fast before, but last time I had been on a swinging car I didn’t have kids yet and we had a couple cocktails prior He held onto me for dear life, but had fun!! I just distracted him with all the neat stuff we could see while up high.

Next, DS4 requested Goofy’s Sky School. We were shocked again (and we didn’t realize he was already over 42 inches!)! And again, he needed some reassuring. This time my DH was able to make him feel better about it. He rode and loved it! Smiling and laughing the entire time. Said he didn’t want to go again, so we didn’t push! He got some cotton candy which he nicely shared with his big brother. Next we rode mater’s. this was the shortest line of the day and fun as usual! I usually ride with DS4, but we traded this time and I got to ride with DS5 so that was fun! We had pulled FP for Soarin, so we went to that next. DS4 had never been on this either. He did great on this and never needed any reassurance from us! He REALLY liked it!

After riding Goofy's, he's proud of himself!

Next we headed to Muppets 3D. 1. because our boys finally will watch and really enjoy the Muppets…for some reason when they were younger, they just didn’t “get it.” And 2. Because DH was tired of holding DS5. Watching DS4 reactions was hilarious! He would laugh, cover his mouth in dismay, and jump when things would pop out at him! Especially the can of worms! LOL. It was so cute and funny. DH and I were laughing the entire time.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

After that we decided to head over to Aladdin, again so DH could rest his tired arms. As we were parking the strollers, we didnt notice a nice CM asking us to move them to a certain spot. DS5 was starting to have a meldown, and I didnt notice DS4 was starting to climb out of his stroller, so as I moved it, he kinda fell out. He was fine and gave me a look of disbelief! LOL. The CM felt terrible! We chatted for a bit and I told her DS5 was exhausted from the night before. She then noticed DS4 bday button and said, come with me! and lead us to the priority seating! There were only a handful of others in there waiting, so we ended up getting front and center seats!! It was so amazing! It made my day and the kids were excited! The seats were great! And so many characters interacted with the boys! The magic carpet came out and gave them high fives and wished DS4 a happy birthday! All the animals (Like horse and camels) also came within inches of the boys so they could see everything up close and personal. The Genie was incredible as usual, and had us all laughing! It was spectacular! Thank you CM Bonnie! I plan to write to DL and tell them how special that was and commend Bonnie!

After the show, the boys wanted ice cream, so we got them some from Ghiradelli, we actually wanted a cone from the Cozy Cones, but the line was HUGE! DH took DS5 back to the hotel to rest after that. DS4 and I watched the Pixar Play parade (I can never get that music out of my head!!) and then rode Monsters Inc. then headed back to the Ramada to order pizza from the place in the front...only to get there and the pizza place is closed!! UGH!!!! So we ordered from Marris. It was fast, and yummy, until DH found a long black hair in his mouth from it! Eww. (We are all blonde).

Quick note about the Ramada too: We have stayed here numerous times over the past couple of years, and this was by far the worst stay (usually it is quite pleasant, or we wouldn't be back). It was SO loud. Not really the hotels fault, but they certainly don't do anything to prevent it. There are always going to be rude people who let their screaming kids run up and down the hallways at 6:30AM, or rude adults who think its fine to yell back and forth from the room to the car at 11:30PM or in our case, park in the handicapped spaces in front of our room at 4:30AM to load up their car and slam their doors for 30 minutes straight. I realize its a motel but some signs to be quiet would be nice. Or a guard to tell people to keep it down or something. It was really bothersome this trip. So much so, that we are going to stay elsewhere next trip. Thinking we need a hotel experience next time =)

Last edited by crystal1313; 10-16-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

After dinner, we forced DS5 to walk to the bathroom and threatened we would not go back to the park unless he walked on his own…..he finally walked, and imagine that, his foot was better! LOL. So we headed back to use our RSR FP. DH rode alone so both boys could ride in the front (they have a better view there). It was fun! And DS4 was actually excited to ride! Then he asked to ride Goofy’s again! So we did, and then he was so excited about it, he ran back into the line to ride again! Finally, he was bitten by the ride bug! Yay!!

By that point, it was getting late, so we rode Toy Story midway mania and called it a day. We took our time wandering back to the entrance and happened upon an empty Cars Land. So we took photos! DS4 had fallen asleep at that point. So DS5 had a blast being all alone in the land! It was so fun!!

Out for the count!

Overall we had a great time! Turns out DS5 was running a fever………..ugh! I asked him all day if he was feeling okay and he said yes. He never felt terribly warm. So we felt like horrible parents. By the next day, his fever was gone, so that was good! Also, DH and I have AP’s but DS’s do not…….we bought them a one day hopper and never hopped! LOL. What a waste! Oh well. Live and Learn. I would totally come back next year for the Halloween Party, I just think I wouldn’t pick the CHOC walk/Columbus Day weekend! It was really crowded Saturday. We still had a blast, but could do without the huge crowds.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #7
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Great review. My six year old also develops pain that mysteriously goes away whenever he wants to something fun. On the flip side, he has also had those odd 24 hour fevers followed by no other symptoms at all. It sounds like you had a great time. Sorry your hoppers went to waste, but it seems like you were having too good a time at DCA to hop anyway.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

Thanks! Yeah, the 24 hour fever thing is so odd! I knew something was up because of his behavior, but he kept saying he felt ok and said he was just super excited. I loved how surprised he acted about his foot too! LOL. He kept saying, "I can't believe how great my foot feels now!" Haha. Glad he's not the only one doing that! We already decided we are going to walk more around home before our next trip....and get him a more comfortable pair of shoes too. He is just way too big for the stroller! He just looks like a giant in it.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
dizneefan13
Earning My Fins

What a fun trip report! You have a nice family, the boys are adorable.
Glad to hear you enjoyed the Halloween Party. I agree, your costumes were awesome!

Counting the days until our October visit to Anaheim!
dizneefan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

Thank you! It was our first Halloween party and I think we are all hooked now! So fun!! And thank you, I will tell my DH your compliment about the costumes =)
Old 10-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
Briarrose1306
Mouseketeer

Great TR! Thanks for sharing! You're costumes were awesome!
Disneyland - BW Anaheim October 2013 Little Brother's Birthday Trip
Disneyland - BW Anaheim June/July 2013 First Solo Trip
Disneyland - DLH April/May 2013 Birthday Trip
Disneyland - BW Stovall's Christmas 2012 Family Trip
Disneyland - BW Stovall's October 2012 Little Brother's Birthday Trip
Disneyland - BW Stovall's July 2012 First Disney Trip with Boyfriend
Disneyland - BW Stovall's & Anaheim Valentine's 2012 Family Trip
Disneyland - BW Anaheim December 2011 Brother/Sister Trip
Disneyland - BWPPI May 2011 Father/Daughter Trip - The Beginning of the Annual Passport
14 Disneyland Trips between 1984-2010
Briarrose1306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #12
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Following along!
Old 10-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
crystal1313
DIS Veteran

Thanks guys!! Our sons are obsessed with TRON! Especially the cartoon, TRON Uprising. DH made a costume in Feb for DS5's TRON themed bday (and pretended to be TRON) and DS5 really believes TRON came out of the computer for his party. It's pretty cute! Then DH had the idea to make us all costumes for Halloween.......and I mentioned the Halloween party at DL, and well, the rest is history! LOL. He's worked basically every night on these costumes since June! What a good daddy!
Old 10-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
DisSmis
Earning My Ears

great TR!
Planning BLT 2/14
DisSmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #15
vladimir p
storybookland canal boats #1 fan

great report, the tron costumes are awesome, also the matching buzz hoodies.
best of all is you guys look very happy in each picture!
vladimir p is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: