Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
999DoomBuggies
Mouseketeer

Lol @ Disney trying to play catch-up to Universal Studios

Times are a changing!

Disney is now looking to Universal Studios for a template of how to create the next gen of theme park immersion. With Universal cracking out WWoHP etc and Disney throwing a duck out there with Avatar Land the tables have turned. Disney Imagineers are bing crippled by management and the one billion dollars fast pass failure has not helped.

Disney absolutely must announce Star Wars land and include an aggressive finish date.

If universal succeeds in getting lord of the rings land then the theme park crown will be resting on the head of universal studios.
999DoomBuggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
MichiganDVC
Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-colored glasses on....

I assumed you were laughing at the assertion that WDW needs to look to Universal for tips.

1980 - Contemporary
1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990- Poly
1991 - Yacht Club 1996 - Offsite 2000 - Poly 2003 - Offsite
2008, 2009 - Boardwalk Villas 2010 - Offsite, Boardwalk Villas
2011 - Beach Club, Boardwalk Villas, Bay Lake Tower 2012 - Boardwalk Villas, WL/Poly 2013 - Beach Club, AKL-Kidani, Bay Lake Tower
2014 - Boardwalk, Poly
MichiganDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

That's assuming that it's generally thought Avatar was a lame choice for an immersive themed land in a theme park, and won't generate much excitement. Because it IS apparently going to be highly immersive. Unless they start cutting it to make up for cost overruns on My Magic Plus.

Yes a Star Wars land would probably have wider appeal.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
Buffalo2Disney
Should we be HYSTERICAL?

Buffalo2Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
ucfknight
Go Knights!

I'll wait until I actually, you know, experience Avatarland before I condemn or praise it.
ucfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

You think Star Wars Land will "save" Disney?

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
wookiebeck
Fan of both WDW and USO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999DoomBuggies View Post
Disney absolutely must announce Star Wars land and include an aggressive finish date.
That's a laugh. They don't know what aggressive means. Let's put it this way.

Sept. 2011, Avatar Land announced. Expected start date in 2013. Expected opening 2016.
Jan. 2014, Ground broken.
Wanna bet on the opening date?

Dec. 2011, Universal Announces closing Jaws ride.
Summer 2014 New HP land opens.
2.5 Years total. NICE! Now that's aggressive.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
Golf4283
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Times are a changing!

Disney is now looking to Universal Studios for a template of how to create the next gen of theme park immersion. With Universal cracking out WWoHP etc and Disney throwing a duck out there with Avatar Land the tables have turned. Disney Imagineers are bing crippled by management and the one billion dollars fast pass failure has not helped.

If universal succeeds in getting lord of the rings land then the theme park crown will be resting on the head of universal studios.
cool story bro.....
Golf4283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #9
MichiganDVC
Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-colored glasses on....

I promise this is the last thing I will post on this troll thread, but WDW is busier than it has ever been. We spend all our time on these boards lamenting the long stand-by lines and ADRs that aren't available and (for DVC members) rooms that are sold out.

And yet, at the same time miraculously, Disney is going under because it doesn't have enough appeal anymore.

So when I'm there next week and standing in a sea of people in FantasyLand, I'll try to remember that no one wants to go to DisneyWorld anymore.

1980 - Contemporary
1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990- Poly
1991 - Yacht Club 1996 - Offsite 2000 - Poly 2003 - Offsite
2008, 2009 - Boardwalk Villas 2010 - Offsite, Boardwalk Villas
2011 - Beach Club, Boardwalk Villas, Bay Lake Tower 2012 - Boardwalk Villas, WL/Poly 2013 - Beach Club, AKL-Kidani, Bay Lake Tower
2014 - Boardwalk, Poly
MichiganDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #10
ucfknight
Go Knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDVC View Post
I promise this is the last thing I will post on this troll thread, but WDW is busier than it has ever been. We spend all our time on these boards lamenting the long stand-by lines and ADRs that aren't available and (for DVC members) rooms that are sold out.

And yet, at the same time miraculously, Disney is going under because it doesn't have enough appeal anymore.

So when I'm there next week and standing in a sea of people in FantasyLand, I'll try to remember that no one wants to go to DisneyWorld anymore.

Nobody goes to Disney World anymore. It's too crowded.
ucfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #11
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDVC View Post
Whoop, there it is!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #12
JoshuaShaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Disney throwing a duck out there with Avatar Land the tables have turned.
Congratulations on your acquisition of a time machine.

Quote:
Spoken like someone who hasn't looked at actual attendance figures.

I'm not saying Disney is putting out their best work, nor am I saying that Universal isn't doing incredible things right now, but to claim that Disney is somehow lagging behind and is now looking to emulate Universal is either intellectually dishonest or grossly ignorant. Personal opinions are fun, but the only accurate test of a theme park's reign is attendance and dollars earned, and right now Universal is in the same position it's been in the last two decades.
JoshuaShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:25 AM   #13
DividedSky
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfknight View Post
Nobody goes to Disney World anymore. It's too crowded.

/endstupidthread
DividedSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #14
fairyprincess88
DIS Veteran

Of course people still go to Disney, of course Disney is still packed. That does not however mean that Disney is putting out a better product in all ways.

I love Disney, I have been many, many times and often never even thought of moving off property. Then Universal got the rights to Potter and that changed everything for me "loyalty" wise because if there is one thing I love more than Mickey and Friends, it's Harry Potter. So off I went to Universal and honestly, one step into the WWoHP and my first thought was, "Disney has nothing like this!" The amount of theme, detail and overall wow factor was just breath taking. The rest of IOA was gorgeous as well, and the rides were often far beyond Disney's. Now with Diagon Alley, they are upping the bar even more. What Universal has coming with Diagon is already being called the "gold standard" in theme parks by a majority of the industry. This does not take away from Disney power or popularity in the market though, it is just comparing one current product against another.

That does not however make Disney not popular or still fun or anything like that, but Universal is kicking booty and taking names with their themeing and detail work at the moment. They are setting a new standard, and that's good, that is what makes other step up their games as well.
fairyprincess88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #15
999DoomBuggies
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaShaw View Post
Congratulations on your acquisition of a time machine. Spoken like someone who hasn't looked at actual attendance figures. I'm not saying Disney is putting out their best work, nor am I saying that Universal isn't doing incredible things right now, but to claim that Disney is somehow lagging behind and is now looking to emulate Universal is either intellectually dishonest or grossly ignorant. Personal opinions are fun, but the only accurate test of a theme park's reign is attendance and dollars earned, and right now Universal is in the same position it's been in the last two decades.
Funny, Jim Hill was just mentioning how universal has set the bar and he hopes this lights a fire under disney's rear. I agree with Jim and I hope disney becomes aggressive and innovative.

For you to say that Disney is not looking to emulate universal is completely wrong. The talking heads know that Disney will need to match the Harry potter experience.
999DoomBuggies is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: