Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #31
dixiegirl
sorry but those dolls really creep me out!

This is a total non-issue for me. If I book an ADR, I plan my day based on that meal - if something comes up and I have to cancel too close, I know I will get charged the fee. That's pretty much it.

It's Disney's park, it's their restaurants, it's their rules - period. If I make the choice to pay to visit their parks and eat at their restaurants then I have to follow their rules and I really don't see them as being all that difficult to follow.

POR Annual Oct trips 10/96-10/13
Next trip - 10/17/14-10/25/14 POR
dixiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #32
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

I have no problem with this at all. I can see the reason they are implementing this plan - to stop the double/triple/quadruple bookers who are no-shows which causes the restuarant to lose money by keeping a table/slot available. I think it's a great policy!

However, I do not think that every party will be charged if they do not cancel a day in advance. I would bet that the people who truly call several hours in advance of an ADR will be canceled without incident or charge. I think this plan is being rolled out to simply dissuade the rude idiots (my words) who like to double book and have no intention of canceling. By having a policy like this to hide behind, the guest service agents can simply say "this is our policy" to cover Disney's tush when the charge policy is implemented. Maybe I'm giving Disney too much credit, but my guess is that some common sense will be used with regard to who is charged and who isn't. I would bet that if an apologetic parent of an ill child called Guest Services hours in advance and explained why they had to cancel later than the specified time, Guest Services would likely work with the guest.

It's just too bad that it is necessary to have a severe policy like this to make people do the right thing.
Stacy's a freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #33
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy's a freak View Post
I have no problem with this at all. I can see the reason they are implementing this plan - to stop the double/triple/quadruple bookers who are no-shows which causes the restuarant to lose money by keeping a table/slot available. I think it's a great policy!

However, I do not think that every party will be charged if they do not cancel a day in advance. I would bet that the people who truly call several hours in advance of an ADR will be canceled without incident or charge. I think this plan is being rolled out to simply dissuade the rude idiots (my words) who like to double book and have no intention of canceling. By having a policy like this to hide behind, the guest service agents can simply say "this is our policy" to cover Disney's tush when the charge policy is implemented. Maybe I'm giving Disney too much credit, but my guess is that some common sense will be used with regard to who is charged and who isn't. I would bet that if an apologetic parent of an ill child called Guest Services hours in advance and explained why they had to cancel later than the specified time, Guest Services would likely work with the guest.

It's just too bad that it is necessary to have a severe policy like this to make people do the right thing.
This!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #34
dansyr2514
DIS Veteran

This to me is a huge pain! I cancel any reservations we don't plan to attend99.9% of the time. However, it's usually an hour or 2 before. There have been times when you just don't feel well. You may not know that by 11:59 the previous evening.
Also. my opinion is that the people who spend the time with their spreadsheet booking a reservation at every park just in case, will also still have the spreadsheet with the times scheduled that they need to cancel 3 of 4 reservations they are still making.
I completely understand being charged if you don't cancel....but let's make it a reasonable amount of time. A one hour window would give the restaurant plenty of time to still be able to accept walk ups.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #35
GAN
DIS Veteran

Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansyr2514 View Post
This to me is a huge pain! I cancel any reservations we don't plan to attend99.9% of the time. However, it's usually an hour or 2 before. There have been times when you just don't feel well. You may not know that by 11:59 the previous evening.
Also. my opinion is that the people who spend the time with their spreadsheet booking a reservation at every park just in case, will also still have the spreadsheet with the times scheduled that they need to cancel 3 of 4 reservations they are still making.
I completely understand being charged if you don't cancel....but let's make it a reasonable amount of time. A one hour window would give the restaurant plenty of time to still be able to accept walk ups.
Obviously, Disney doesn't want walk-ups anymore. They are pushing for people to use the My Disney Experience app to manage their vacation -by someone canceling an hour or two prior, I think it limits the functionality of the app. If you cancel the day before, a person on their way to Epcot in the AM could check the app and see there is availability at The Plaza in MK and fill that spot. The app worked really well on our trip last year -I would imagine it will probably evolve/improve over time.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #36
basketlacey
DIS Veteran

But the app doesn't work on the credit card guarantee places does it? We are here now and I was looking for a flying fish reservation for tonight. When I tried from the app, it said I had to call.

]Disney trips:6/2003: ASMo;11/2005: Offsite;10/2009: Offsite;11/2010: POR;11/2011 - AKL;10/2012 - BC; 10/2013 - WL/BWI; 2/2014 - FWC/Disney Cruise - Magic/CR; 4/2014 - CBR; 7/2014 Dolphin/OKW
basketlacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #37
dalt01
DIS Veteran

i always get a kick out of the, "we dont like this because we dont do this" group. actually its about time. i cant count how many times i have heard a kiosk cast member turn someone away, many someones, and then we sit down and there are many empty tables throughout our whole meal. no shows for sure. i have heard people talking about getting two and deciding at the last minute depending on where they find themselves on property at the designated time, heck, i have, over the years, seen that very thing discussed on these boards. i myself was guilty of it a couple years ago. we were very late and knew we would not make it to Sci Fi anywhere near the time and just went in to Olivia's..........i did not call..............i still feel ashamed.........
Old 10-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #38
GAN
DIS Veteran

Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketlacey View Post
But the app doesn't work on the credit card guarantee places does it? We are here now and I was looking for a flying fish reservation for tonight. When I tried from the app, it said I had to call.
Good point. I figured they had added a way to tie your CC/Room Charge to your account -maybe not? Doesn't seem like it would be such a hard thing to do -unless same day ressies out of MDE will be excluded. Not sure if they clarified that in the new policy.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #39
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketlacey View Post
Hmmm...since you're there now-(are you still there?)-.....are you showing an option to CANCEL any credit card guaranteed reservation?

Our "touring plans" are subject to change based on meltdowns.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #40
DisneyNurse19
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl View Post
This is a total non-issue for me. If I book an ADR, I plan my day based on that meal - if something comes up and I have to cancel too close, I know I will get charged the fee. That's pretty much it.

It's Disney's park, it's their restaurants, it's their rules - period. If I make the choice to pay to visit their parks and eat at their restaurants then I have to follow their rules and I really don't see them as being all that difficult to follow.
I agree

I wonder how many people will now use the excuses of cars breaking down now or children being sick just so they don't have to pay
Old 10-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #41
3girlsfun
working to pay for vacation

I see both sides of this. I keep saying we are going to try to go without the dining plan, but, we are one of those that likes our trip to be more all-inclusive. Things like this are more limiting, and are exactly the kinds of things that can cause me to not book reservations, and not do the dining plan, or at least not the regular dining plan. I was just telling my DH that I would like to try the QS dining plan at some point so we can see how we like it, and just do a couple sit down meals.

I like the planning of my trip, but, dang, the ADR's, and the FP+ is starting to get annoying.

Me DH DD 8 yrs. DD 4 yrs., DD 3 yrs., and baby princess

First Family Trip October 2010! POP!,Princess 1/2 Marathon, February 2011, ASMO,Disneyland 1/2 Marathon, September, 2011 HoJo! Pre-Cruise stay, June, 2011, OKW, 1st stay as DVC owners! Marathon relay, January, 2012, AKL Princess 1/2 Marathon, February, 2012, ASMU, Spring Break, April, 2012, AKL, 10 days, June, 2012, SSR, TOT 10miler, September, 2012, BWV, Spring Break! OKW/Ft. Wilderness cabins, March, 2013, Dumbo Double Dare, DLH, September, 2013, 1st Thanksgiving trip, CBR, Nov., 2013
3girlsfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #42
SaraMc
DIS Veteran

This makes sense, they must have seen a decline in no shoes on the restaurants that you had to have the CC guarantee and a increase in those you do not. Hopefully this helps.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #43
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraMc View Post
This makes sense, they must have seen a decline in no shoes on the restaurants that you had to have the CC guarantee and a increase in those you do not. Hopefully this helps.
Lets hope that decline doesn't extend to no shirts.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #44
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Lets hope that decline doesn't extend to no shirts.

Sayhelloi
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #45
jtirishbelle
Earning My Ears

My problem with this (and I am surprised no one has mentioned this) is that Disney table service "reservations" aren't actual reservations. This is of course unless I have missed some update that says otherwise. As I recall it, "reservations" have never been used as actual reservations before. The term "reservation" is used a bit more loosely at Disney than it is elsewhere. It is more like a priority seating. So, with this being said: how exactly does Disney justify charging a fee for no shows who only request priority seating? Unless Disney is going to change there reservation system to legitimate reservations, They should not be charging for no shows.
jtirishbelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: