Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #16
mrsclark
Mouseketeer

I don't like this new policy. We never double book for a meal, but for example, at about lunch time on the Saturday of our recent vacation we decided we didn't want to take all the transportation required to go to our dinner ADR at trails end at FE, so I cancelled on the MDE iPhone app, now I guess we won't have that flexibility. so I guess we will consider eating at a lot more QS than TS now which means less money for Disney overall if we reduce the number of TS we eat as we pay OOP.

2013 - BCV (MNSSHP too!) plus Loews RP at US/IOA
2013 - Disney Magic Cruise - one day port adventure at WDW
2012 - BC (MNSSHP & Epcot F&W too!)
2011 - BCV (MNSSHP too!)
2009 - AKL (MNSSHP & Epcot F&W too!) plus Loews RP at US/IOA
2007 -Honeymoon at AKL (MNSSHP & Epcot F& W too!)

2005 - All Star Music - college spring break with my mom!
1995 - Dixie Landings/ 1993 - All Star Sports/ 1992 and Earlier - 3-4+ Offsite trips - for an exact count ask my mom!
mrsclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #17
stacielee
Why do I go to Disneyland? BECAUSE I CAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynJ View Post
Side question: Won't the new MDE system prevent people from double booking ADRs?
Yes, there's a certain time frame within which you can't book another ADR, something around 2 hours or so, I've been using MDE recently and noticed that.

Also, the Disneyland reservation system is changing to be the same as WDW as of tomorrow, and they are doing this exact same thing, $10/person for canceling less than 1 day ahead of time.

I agree, would be nice to know when that "1 day" period starts...
Old 10-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #18
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran

Red face

Unfortunately there are some guests who are abusing the system. Try walking up to a restaurant. Hopefully this will free up restaurants so that there can be more walk ups.

I just will be more careful about booking restaurants.
kbelle8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #19
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberle View Post
I still don't understand the "1 day prior" cancellation policy. If you have a 8am b/fast ADR on 8/5, does your "day" mean 7:59am the prior day (8/4) or 11:59 the prior day (8/4) or 11:59 2 days before (8/3)????

I wish they would make it a flat 3 or 4 hours prior.

Everything is becoming so complicated. You have no flexibility in your ADR's, you have to book your fast passes weeks in advance. You can't depend on WDW transportation because it often breaks down, sits in traffic, and/or takes forever to arrive.

Shoot, why not just require everybody to pre-order exactly what food they want at what time and location 6 months before your trip.
I have mixed feelings about this. I understand the premise, but the implementation, again, is what I take issue with. I would prefer a 4 hours prior set amount of time as well. Sometimes we are just too tired or not hungry. Like a pp mentioned, there are numerous walk ups who get turned away, so not sure about the 24 hours prior being necessary. Disney falters at times when they do things like this. This is all overkill.

I will say that we've had a few slots for ADR's unscheduled when we visited and were able to snag same day/couple of hours before reservations. It can happen. Hopefully, with this it can happen with more frequency now, given all the insane preplanning, prearranging that clearly has become part of a Disney vacation. Gone are the days of winging it.

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #20
GeocacherDad
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Unfortunately, a LOT of people double-book because they want to have the flexibility to choose which one they want to go to. Or because they make one reservation for just in case, and don't cancel it when they get the reservation they really wanted. I don't think Disney would be doing this if they didn't have a huge problem with no-shows.

Sayhello
I agree with this change. I can't believe that people would book multiple reservations just so they have a few options to accomodate their changing whims while others have to keep hitting the reservation site trying to find a decent time/location (the bad side of going during 'free dining').

I like that MDE doesn't let you double book. I've been 'upgrading' an ADR prior to MVMCP over the last week and finally got a good time/location combination last night. Each time the system cancelled my old reservation once my new one was confirmed.

I will confess to originally having a few "just in case" reservations when we started planning our vacation but never double booked ones. I had an 8:30PM Chef Mickey dinner booked for a while as it was the best I could do but cancelled it once I got a 5:30PM on a different day.

I have no problem with 'reservation upgrading', it appears to be part of the "adventure" of planning a trip.....checking and rechecking to see if you can get a better time/location. It is almost a sport between my wife and I (so far I am winning with the 5:30PM Chef Mickey res).

Last edited by GeocacherDad; 10-03-2013 at 08:20 AM.
GeocacherDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #21
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I'm OK with the change for the most part. I suspect they could have just done this for the restaurants in the parks and satisfied 90% of what they were trying to accomplish. Trying to implement a policy that way probably just makes it too complicated for everybody.

Since we visit very regularly we seldom make dining reservations any more. Usually just one nice meal per trip is it.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #22
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeocacherDad View Post

I agree with this change. I can't believe that people would book multiple reservations just so they have a few options to accomodate their changing whims while others have to keep hitting the reservation site trying to find a decent time/location (the bad side of going during 'free dining').

I like that MDE doesn't let you double book. I've been 'upgrading' an ADR prior to MVMCP over the last week and finally got a good time/location combination last night. Each time the system cancelled my old reservation once my new one was confirmed.

I will confess to originally having a few "just in case" reservations when we started planning our vacation but never double booked ones. I had an 8:30PM Chef Mickey dinner booked for a while as it was the best I could do but cancelled it once I got a 5:30PM on a different day.

I have no problem with 'reservation upgrading', it appears to be part of the "adventure" of planning a trip.....checking and rechecking to see if you can get a better time/location. It is almost a sport between my wife and I (so far I am winning with the 5:30PM Chef Mickey res).
Unfortunately it is all too easy to overbook using MDE. There was a family in the monorail talking about how each of the parents had their own MDE account and booked an ADR a night and went with the one that was closest to where they are.

For me this suits our style of touring. I know more or less where we will be and if we are starting to get to the never hungry point I will cancel a couple if ADRs a few days out. The only time it will change my plans would be arrival day I won't make any more arrival day reservations
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #23
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

I think people are looking at this totally wrong. It doesn't take away flexibility, it adds flexibility and I'm totally for it. I don't micromanage my vacations which means I make very few restaurant reservations. I'd rather decide which park I'm going to when I want and where I want to eat at the time I'm hungry.

I think this will open up walk up spots so guests can decide where they want to eat and when. You still might have to wait 15 minutes or so or pick another restaurant but I think it will make it easier to find a place you want to eat around the time you want to eat without trying to predict the future 90 or 180 days out.

I think after implementation it will change to something like 4, 6, or 8 hours but either way I like the change.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #24
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I have a dining reservation for each night of our upcoming trip. We're paying OOP this trip and I know for a few of them we simply won't be hungry or we'll be too exhausted to make it all the way over to another park in time for example. In those situations I used to cancel that day. I always called so someone else could walk up. I can see the need for it, but it's going to change our plans a bit. I think we'll do more CS locations and only keep a few very special ADR's. Which in the end is less money out of my pocket I guess.
pigletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #25
keys2kingdom
DIS Veteran

The double and triple booking and no shows have got to be stopped and if this is the way to accomplish it then so be it, I don't particularly like having to cancel by 11:59p the day before but I'll deal with it . This issue has irked me for years as I simply cannot fathom someone being so rude as to take up 2 or 3 reservations while they decide what they are in the mood to do. Meanwhile others are trying to get in and can't.

I hate having to make ADRs at 180 days out because inconsiderate people book up everything they can get their hands on and there's nothing left at 90 or even 60 days out. If I can book my must-do restaurants at 60 days and then go online at 11:59 the night before for some others I'll be a happy camper.

I think Disney may also be doing this as a way to placate people on the dining plan. I see a lot of walk ups complaining that they have dining credits to use up but they can't get in anywhere because they didn't make ADRs. I think everyone on these boards are the exception to the rule in planning, I honestly think many people just go down there and expect to completely wing it. My DH had a co-worker who went this summer and did exactly this. He called DH one night completely exasperated because they had shown up at a restaurant, been seated and then been told the restaurant didn't participate in the dining plan. He now had overly hungry kids and was desperate for some place to eat that accepted the dining plan, he had no idea some of the restaurants weren't included or that they would have to wait so long for a walk-up! Who spends oodles of money on the dining plan and then doesn't bother to look through the materials that explain it?? I think a lot more folks than we realize.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #26
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

[QUOTE=Minniesgal;49730655]Unfortunately it is all too easy to overbook using MDE. There was a family in the monorail talking about how each of the parents had their own MDE account and booked an ADR a night and went with the one that was closest to where they are.

This is the very thing that the new policy is going to stop (or slow down at least)...its unfortunate that Disney "has" to implement such a policy, but I can fully understand why. For us, we are going more with the QS plan now....but when we do want to have a special meal, we make the ADR and stick to it.

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayºoº
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #27
49rt67
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherinva View Post
i think it's a good idea. It will put a stop to those that double book and then no show to one of them....
bingo!
11/06 Pop Century
09/04 All-Star Music
11/01 Animal Kingdom Lodge
10/99 All-Star Movie
10/97 All-Star Sports
11/95 All-Star Sports
11/94 All Star Sports
49rt67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #28
keys2kingdom
DIS Veteran

I can't wait for next weeks podcast! I feel a rant coming on!!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #29
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

I am so sick of Disney's new rules for the first time I have no desire to plan a trip. Instead of doing more to correct a problem they basically created, they are just going to penalize everyone. A day's notice to cancel an ADR without getting charged is ridiculous. I even think 4-6 hours is ridiculous, I think 2 hours would be acceptable. That gives them plenty of time to open up the reservation for walk ups and people using MDE or whatever. I get the whole overbooking thing, but I think Disney has done a lot to help curb it by just not allowing you to double book on online anymore. Making this effective for ALL restaurants with a day's notice is a pure money grab.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #30
DisneyDaddy-O
Dis Dads Club Member #286
I'm sure those driving beside me thought I was nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer
I think people are looking at this totally wrong. It doesn't take away flexibility, it adds flexibility and I'm totally for it. I don't micromanage my vacations which means I make very few restaurant reservations. I'd rather decide which park I'm going to when I want and where I want to eat at the time I'm hungry.

I think this will open up walk up spots so guests can decide where they want to eat and when. You still might have to wait 15 minutes or so or pick another restaurant but I think it will make it easier to find a place you want to eat around the time you want to eat without trying to predict the future 90 or 180 days out.

I think after implementation it will change to something like 4, 6, or 8 hours but either way I like the change.
Couldn't agree more.
We have booked many ADR's on the same day and I hope this change creates more openings!!

Oct 97 CBR Disney Honeymoon, Jan 06 AS Sports First Family Vacation, Jan 07 POR Jan 08 POP, Jan 09 POR, Jan 10 POR, AUG 10 POP, JAN 11 POR, AUG 11 POP,
AUG 12 ASM,CSR,SSR,POR(yep all 4),OCT 13 POR First Halloween Party and Food & Wine
DisneyDaddy-O is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: