Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 03:04 AM   #1
Mom2Joce
It all started with a...

Fantasmic and fireworks

How to tackle these the same night? Where to sit for best viewing for both? Same location or worth moving?
Going next week sun-thurs
Old 07-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Joce View Post
How to tackle these the same night? Where to sit for best viewing for both? Same location or worth moving?
Going next week sun-thurs
When I plan to watch both shows on the same night, I normally watch fireworks first and then Fantasmic second. They route traffic so that guests entering the Fantasmic area (from Main Street) have to go through Frontierland. Guests exiting the Fantasmic/NoS area, leave via Adventureland. I don't think you can get a prime viewing spot doing this because those spots are often taken by guests that wait for the first Fantasmic to end and then slip in right after the departing crowd.

You can see fireworks from some of the Fantasmic viewing area. You won't see all of the fireworks show, but you can see some of it. I haven't tried this, so I don't know where the "best" spots are. HydroGuy's Fantasmic SuperThread had some information about a third of the way down the first post.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2671983
figment_jii is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
mikedoyleblogger
DIS Veteran

Related question--is it possible to get easily from the train station fireworks VIP viewing area over to Fantasmic in time for the second show? Is the train a reliable option or would it be possible to make it up Main Street and through Frontierland on foot in time? (Maybe passing through Emporium, etc)?
WDW 1973 Poly | WDW Jul 1977 offsite | DLR Jul 1988 offsite | DLP Apr 2000 offsite | DLR Apr 2002 PPH | DLR Sep 2002 HoJo | DLR Dec 2002 HoJo | DLR Apr 2003 HoJo | DLR Dec 2005 HoJo | DLR Mar 2013 HoJo | WDW May 2013 Pop | DLR Oct 2013 HoJo | DLR Aug 2014 GCH | Moving to L.A. 2015!

mikedoyleblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedoyleblogger View Post
Related question--is it possible to get easily from the train station fireworks VIP viewing area over to Fantasmic in time for the second show? Is the train a reliable option or would it be possible to make it up Main Street and through Frontierland on foot in time? (Maybe passing through Emporium, etc)?
That's an interesting question; I hadn't through about riding the train from MS to NOS. If the train is running, I would probably consider doing that. I don't think it'll save you much time, but it's probably more relaxing.

Otherwise, yes, you can probably walk up via the Emporium, but you'll still encounter the crowds when you have to exit before Carnations. You could try to slip back into the stores (Gibson Girl, Candy Palace and Casey's Corner) around Carnations or Gibsons Girl, but my guess is that you'll have a hard time merging into the traffic at the end of the stores. The walkway skirting along Jolly Holiday tends to be filled with guests heading out of Adventureland, so you'll have to get across them to merge with the crowds on Main Street heading to Frontierland.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
mikedoyleblogger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post
That's an interesting question; I hadn't through about riding the train from MS to NOS. If the train is running, I would probably consider doing that. I don't think it'll save you much time, but it's probably more relaxing.

Otherwise, yes, you can probably walk up via the Emporium, but you'll still encounter the crowds when you have to exit before Carnations. You could try to slip back into the stores (Gibson Girl, Candy Palace and Casey's Corner) around Carnations or Gibsons Girl, but my guess is that you'll have a hard time merging into the traffic at the end of the stores. The walkway skirting along Jolly Holiday tends to be filled with guests heading out of Adventureland, so you'll have to get across them to merge with the crowds on Main Street heading to Frontierland.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking too, that the Hub would still be a problem. We'll try to use the train that night if at all possible.
WDW 1973 Poly | WDW Jul 1977 offsite | DLR Jul 1988 offsite | DLP Apr 2000 offsite | DLR Apr 2002 PPH | DLR Sep 2002 HoJo | DLR Dec 2002 HoJo | DLR Apr 2003 HoJo | DLR Dec 2005 HoJo | DLR Mar 2013 HoJo | WDW May 2013 Pop | DLR Oct 2013 HoJo | DLR Aug 2014 GCH | Moving to L.A. 2015!

Old 07-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
superlarz
Mouseketeer

There was only 1 time I ever had an issue getting a prime stop for the 2nd viewing of Fantasmic after viewing the Fireworks from Main St, and that was the last 24 hour party. If you know the way they are going to route you (into a holding patter in Frontierland) you can usually get to the front of that section and walk quickly to get a good spot along the RoA when they release people to that area. I dont know how easy it would be with 4 or 5 people, but if you have 2-3 in the group you should have no issues.
superlarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
mikedoyleblogger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlarz View Post
There was only 1 time I ever had an issue getting a prime stop for the 2nd viewing of Fantasmic after viewing the Fireworks from Main St, and that was the last 24 hour party. If you know the way they are going to route you (into a holding patter in Frontierland) you can usually get to the front of that section and walk quickly to get a good spot along the RoA when they release people to that area. I dont know how easy it would be with 4 or 5 people, but if you have 2-3 in the group you should have no issues.
We were pixie-dusted VIP viewing for both, so we're ok with having a place to watch the second F! show when we get there. I've just never tried to make it "upstream" so to speak from the train station after the fireworks. There's only two of us, but I'm the only one with "slice through the oncoming crowds" skills, so it would probably take us some time.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #8
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There's only two of us, but I'm the only one with "slice through the oncoming crowds" skills, so it would probably take us some time.
One option is to let the slower person go at his/her own pace and just pick a meeting place over in the Fantasmic viewing area. For my family it's a little different because we're usually headed to the tables by River Belle Terrace, so we just say we'll meet there if we get split up; it's a pretty small area and it's pretty easy to find someone there. The view from most of the tables isn't great, but sitting there, eating a funnel cake, and watching Fantasmic is what we're aiming for!
Old 07-24-2014, 07:59 AM   #9
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
The Main Street station is an option to get to the NOS for Fantasmic viewing. But it is tricky because they do stop the train or close the Main Street station during fireworks. Not sure when they re-open. We have gotten on the train right before they closed it and used that to bypass the hub crowds.

DLR 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: