Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #241
disney david
DIS Veteran
 
disney david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hartsdale, ny
Posts: 3,512

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaPrincess View Post

I was asking about the DAS card. Thank you to everyone who answered.

The no changes for two weeks thing is dumb. If something is so obviously no working, then fix it! Don't make those of us who visit during your "test" time to deal with stuff that you know needs tweaking.
If they make change each day it be more confusing for the guest. Waiting two weeks give Disney a chance to see if it work. And more to make the guests follow it instead of giving in and making changes to make some people happy. It not really a test it going to stay it more if they are something they don't like they will make changes. Their never going back to a gac so everyone needs to understand that no matter how much complaints and protest they will not back down. They will make changes to it if have to and will continue to work with family's but will not go back to the gac.
__________________
www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline  
Old 10-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #242
Jperiod
Princesses Gone Wild
 
Jperiod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Why wouldn't they give you a return time? Was it because it was too late?
The cm said screaming closed early for woc. But we were at the kiosk acrossclosed from screaming and they were still taking people in standby until 715 which I pointed out.
__________________

DLR in 1/97, 8/98, 12/98, 12/99, 12/00, 12/02, 12/03, 12/04, 12/05, 10/07, 12/07, 5/08, 12/08, 5/09, 12/09, 5/10, and 12/10.
WDW in 12/11 to satisfy our curiousity.
Back to DLR in 12/12, 2/13 (VGC ), 7/13 (2 day trips), 10/13, 12/13, and 12/14!
Jperiod is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #243
piratenightmares
Mouseketeer
 
piratenightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 105

Sometimes my son uses a wheelchair and sometimes he doesn't. It's a comfort and stamina issue. I don't know how the wheelchair cards work. I assume he will need both DAS and this wheelchair card because when he isn't using the chair he would still need the DAS. My question is if one has a DAS do they also need the wheelchair card?
__________________
piratenightmares is offline  
Old 10-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #244
cmwade77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperiod View Post
Sigh, tried for a RT at screaming tonight at 7:07 and were turned away. Park closed at 8, woc at 8:15, standby was 30 min and they were still taking people in line. DS was very upset.
I have had issues with GACs not being honored close to the end of the day, even when the Standby line was still open, so this is not something completely new to have happen.

That being said, this system is intended to provide equality and that is exactly what I expect of it. That means if the standby line is open to guests joining it, I expect to be able to get a return time. Now, if guests are not able to join the standby line for some reason, such as the ride broke down, I could see them saying I can't give you a return time for that attraction right now.

My suggestion is that if this happens, you should first try pointing out that this system is designed to provide equality and that the standby line is still open. If they continue to refuse, I would suggest asking for a lead or manager. I would also strongly suggest writing down the names of everyone you deal with, better still would be to record it after the first no, if you have the equipment to do so. By recording, you will make sure you not only remember names, but are able to remember EXACTLY what was said. It also eliminates the he said/she said game if you do have to escalate the matter at all.
cmwade77 is offline  
Old 10-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #245
piratenightmares
Mouseketeer
 
piratenightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
I have had issues with GACs not being honored close to the end of the day, even when the Standby line was still open, so this is not something completely new to have happen.

That being said, this system is intended to provide equality and that is exactly what I expect of it. That means if the standby line is open to guests joining it, I expect to be able to get a return time. Now, if guests are not able to join the standby line for some reason, such as the ride broke down, I could see them saying I can't give you a return time for that attraction right now.

My suggestion is that if this happens, you should first try pointing out that this system is designed to provide equality and that the standby line is still open. If they continue to refuse, I would suggest asking for a lead or manager. I would also strongly suggest writing down the names of everyone you deal with, better still would be to record it after the first no, if you have the equipment to do so. By recording, you will make sure you not only remember names, but are able to remember EXACTLY what was said. It also eliminates the he said/she said game if you do have to escalate the matter at all.
For some reason I was under the impression the RT on rides with FP would be using the FP return time not the stand by line.
__________________
piratenightmares is offline  
Old 10-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #246
disney david
DIS Veteran
 
disney david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hartsdale, ny
Posts: 3,512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperiod View Post

The cm said screaming closed early for woc. But we were at the kiosk acrossclosed from screaming and they were still taking people in standby until 715 which I pointed out.
So you was their at 715 and they planed to close around 745 you think. So only went once and know they closed them early just not sure on early. And then stand by line was 30 so if they have you a das it be for when the ride closed they still let people in the stand by line because the ride is open. If you came back at closing and they let people in then that wrong.

Not saying you was wrong or Disney was just trying to point out why they did that. If they gave return times that would exceed park hours that be to much a temptation for guest to able it because fast pass only goes to the park close not after. And if your in the stand by line when park closes you get to ride.
__________________
www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline  
Old 10-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #247
lanejudy
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,128
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratenightmares View Post
Sometimes my son uses a wheelchair and sometimes he doesn't. It's a comfort and stamina issue. I don't know how the wheelchair cards work. I assume he will need both DAS and this wheelchair card because when he isn't using the chair he would still need the DAS. My question is if one has a DAS do they also need the wheelchair card?
Whether or not he qualifies for a DAS will depend on his needs. My interpretation of what you have indicated above is that he does not need a DAS if using a wheelchair. Therefore, he would not qualify for a DAS. If I have misunderstood, and you believe he needs to use DAS with or without the wheelchair, then you should be prepared to explain his NEEDS and how that impacts his ability wait in lines. This should be completely separate from what the wheelchair does for him (comfort and stamina issue noted above).

There is no "wheelchair card." The only card is DAS. That is basically for waiting outside of lines. All other needs are accommodated by explaining at the ride (avoiding stairs, visual, etc.). If there is an accessibility issue at any specific attraction the CM will direct you accordingly to use the wheelchair. On a few attractions, as needed, they may issue a wheelchair return time so the accessible entrance doesn't get considerably backed up.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline  
Old 10-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #248
piratenightmares
Mouseketeer
 
piratenightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Whether or not he qualifies for a DAS will depend on his needs. My interpretation of what you have indicated above is that he does not need a DAS if using a wheelchair. Therefore, he would not qualify for a DAS. If I have misunderstood, and you believe he needs to use DAS with or without the wheelchair, then you should be prepared to explain his NEEDS and how that impacts his ability wait in lines. This should be completely separate from what the wheelchair does for him (comfort and stamina issue noted above).

There is no "wheelchair card." The only card is DAS. That is basically for waiting outside of lines. All other needs are accommodated by explaining at the ride (avoiding stairs, visual, etc.). If there is an accessibility issue at any specific attraction the CM will direct you accordingly to use the wheelchair. On a few attractions, as needed, they may issue a wheelchair return time so the accessible entrance doesn't get considerably backed up.

Enjoy your vacation!
He has a lot of problems when he isn't in a wheelchair. I was only explaining what we use the wheelchair for. NOT his other needs when he isn't using it.

I am prepared to explain his NEEDS and have done so in the past with a GAC. I didn't feel the need to explain all of his issues in my post. When he doesn't use the wheelchair he DOES qualify for a DAS (I am certain of that).

If there is no wheelchair tag then what is everyone talking about with wheelchair return times written down?
I must have misunderstood what people are talking about with the wheelchair tag.
__________________
piratenightmares is offline  
Old 10-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #249
lanejudy
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,128
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratenightmares View Post
He has a lot of problems when he isn't in a wheelchair. I was only explaining what we use the wheelchair for. NOT his other needs when he isn't using it.

I am prepared to explain his NEEDS and have done so in the past with a GAC. I didn't feel the need to explain all of his issues in my post. When he doesn't use the wheelchair he DOES qualify for a DAS (I am certain of that).

If there is no wheelchair tag then what is everyone talking about with wheelchair return times written down?
I must have misunderstood what people are talking about with the wheelchair tag.
That's what I'm trying to point out...it sounds as if you are able to accommodate his needs with a wheelchair, in which case he would not qualify for a DAS. He doesn't have to sit in it all day, he can walk and either he or someone else can push it, use it to lug your stuff around, etc. Use the w/c in lines. It's not really a case of "I'm ok when I use the wheelchair but need a DAS for when I choose not to use the chair." They'll expect you to use the wheelchair as his accommodation IF that solves his issues when used.

If he has OTHER needs that are not adequately accommodated by the use of the wheelchair, then explain ONLY those additional needs that impact his ability to function within a regular queue when requesting a DAS so as not to confuse the CMs about the wheelchair use.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline  
Old 10-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #250
cmwade77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,893

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratenightmares View Post
For some reason I was under the impression the RT on rides with FP would be using the FP return time not the stand by line.
No, as that would not be equal access. If you have a DAS, you can choose to obtain a FP OR a return time.

The reason that using the FP return times would not be equal is a situation like this:
At 11:00, the standby line for Indiana Jones is 45 minutes, but the FP return time is 5:00 PM.
Now, let's say I have to leave the park at 4:00 PM, for whatever reasons. A person who needs no assistance would be able to get in the Standby line and wait 45 minutes. But since I need assistance, that doesn't work for me. If they say that I can't come back until 5:00 PM on my DAS, then they are essentially saying that I can't have the same access as someone who doesn't need the assistance. In addition, it would make my DAS invalid until 5:00 PM, when someone who didn't need assistance could have waited 45 minutes and went on something else.

It is a similar concept with the return time cards, basically all are to be issued based off the Standby line wait time. You are free to choose to get a FP instead of course, but the point is that it is your choice to wait in the Standby line, albeit virtually in the case of those that need assistance OR use the FP.

This was an issue with the GACs for a long time, before Disney changed them, they insisted that you must get FPs, if they are available, but many pointed out how this was not fair, using examples such as the one above.

Last edited by cmwade77; 10-16-2013 at 02:20 PM.
cmwade77 is offline  
Old 10-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #251
cmwade77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,893

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
So you was their at 715 and they planed to close around 745 you think. So only went once and know they closed them early just not sure on early. And then stand by line was 30 so if they have you a das it be for when the ride closed they still let people in the stand by line because the ride is open. If you came back at closing and they let people in then that wrong.

Not saying you was wrong or Disney was just trying to point out why they did that. If they gave return times that would exceed park hours that be to much a temptation for guest to able it because fast pass only goes to the park close not after. And if your in the stand by line when park closes you get to ride.
But that is the point, the DAS is supposed to be equal to waiting in the Standby queue. The only difference is supposed to be that you don't have to physically wait in the queue, except for a short period when you return.

So, as long as the standby queue is open, return times should be added to the DAS. Now this adds some logistical issues that Disney will need to address, such as what happens when your return time is after park closing? How do you approach CMs that might not be there? But these are issues that I am sure Disney has addressed, as they are readily obvious that if the DAS is meant to be equal to the standby queue, then this situation will present it's self.
cmwade77 is offline  
Old 10-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #252
piratenightmares
Mouseketeer
 
piratenightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
That's what I'm trying to point out...it sounds as if you are able to accommodate his needs with a wheelchair, in which case he would not qualify for a DAS. He doesn't have to sit in it all day, he can walk and either he or someone else can push it, use it to lug your stuff around, etc. Use the w/c in lines. It's not really a case of "I'm ok when I use the wheelchair but need a DAS for when I choose not to use the chair." They'll expect you to use the wheelchair as his accommodation IF that solves his issues when used.

If he has OTHER needs that are not adequately accommodated by the use of the wheelchair, then explain ONLY those additional needs that impact his ability to function within a regular queue when requesting a DAS so as not to confuse the CMs about the wheelchair use.

Enjoy your vacation!
No we can't use the wheelchair all of the time. We only use it when he NEEDS it. We do what's best for him AND everyone around him when we go anywhere. I didn't feel the need to explain here all of the reasons why it's this way: HOWEVER the wheelchair is a safe haven. If he is IN the wheelchair ALL the time it is no longer a safe haven and he would have the same issues IN the chair as he does OUT of the chair (for example, outbursts, shouting, hysterical crying, freezing in one position and not moving, becoming violent when anyone tries to help him to list a few).

I just explained the entire issue to Guest Services (in much greater detail).

I just spoke to Ashely and she said there are some guests who need both and DO use both. Even for comfort if it's what he needs.

Sometimes we CAN use the wheelchair if he needs it for comfort but we would (based on my explanation of my son's needs with AND without the wheelchiar) be able to use both the wheelchair entrances to rides when needed AND have the DAS. Ashely said they would NOT require us to use only the wheelchair.

If he could always use the wheelchair we would simply use that line. That isn't how it is for him. That's why I asked the question.

EDIT: when I say 'comfort' I don't just mean because he wants to sit around. No. It's a serious comfort zone that he needs to function. The Guest Services stated: "When he needs it for comfort he will be able to use the wheelchair. You can park it when he isn't using it and use the DAS."
She also said my explanation was fine and they shouldn't be confused at City Hall about using the chair sometimes and not others.
__________________

Last edited by piratenightmares; 10-16-2013 at 02:42 PM.
piratenightmares is offline  
Old 10-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #253
KPeveler
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 6 miles from Disneyland
Posts: 4,024
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaPrincess View Post
I was asking about the DAS card. Thank you to everyone who answered.

The no changes for two weeks thing is dumb. If something is so obviously no working, then fix it! Don't make those of us who visit during your "test" time to deal with stuff that you know needs tweaking.
Two weeks may feel like a long time on the ground, but from the exec's and planners' points of view, it is only two weekends during a low visit time. That really is not very long.

They are collecting and keeping every wheelchair return ticket, so they can keep track of how many people come back. They are collecting stories.

I would be annoyed if it was 2 months, but two weeks is not very long - we are already half-way there. They need all the data to get a good idea of how many people are using the system, how they are using it, and how often.

It definitely it frustrating, but they need to get enough feedback so that if (or when) they need to make a change, they can do so once. I would rather wait another week or two and have the system alter ONCE than have it change slightly every time I go - that would be even more confusing.
__________________
~Katy~

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline  
Old 10-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #254
lanejudy
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,128
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratenightmares View Post
No we can't use the wheelchair all of the time. We only use it when he NEEDS it. We do what's best for him AND everyone around him when we go anywhere. I didn't feel the need to explain here all of the reasons why it's this way: HOWEVER the wheelchair is a safe haven. If he is IN the wheelchair ALL the time it is no longer a safe haven and he would have the same issues IN the chair as he does OUT of the chair (for example, outbursts, shouting, hysterical crying, freezing in one position and not moving, becoming violent when anyone tries to help him to list a few).

I just explained the entire issue to Guest Services (in much greater detail).

I just spoke to Ashely and she said there are some guests who need both and DO use both. Even for comfort if it's what he needs.

Sometimes we CAN use the wheelchair if he needs it for comfort but we would (based on my explanation of my son's needs with AND without the wheelchiar) be able to use both the wheelchair entrances to rides when needed AND have the DAS. Ashely said they would NOT require us to use only the wheelchair.

If he could always use the wheelchair we would simply use that line. That isn't how it is for him. That's why I asked the question.

EDIT: when I say 'comfort' I don't just mean because he wants to sit around. No. It's a serious comfort zone that he needs to function. The Guest Services stated: "When he needs it for comfort he will be able to use the wheelchair. You can park it when he isn't using it and use the DAS."
She also said my explanation was fine and they shouldn't be confused at City Hall about using the chair sometimes and not others.
Great! I wasn't asking you to explain online. There have been concerns about CMs not allowing a GAC when wheelchair is used, even though WE all know it should be allowed, and I was pointing out that the CMs have to recognize the difference between his wheelchair needs and his needs not met by the wheelchair. It has been reported some CMs are getting lost in a conversation that starts "my wheelchair does this but I still need that..." which is why I recommended not going into detail about the wheelchair at all. Hopefully ALL CMs are trained to listen to the full story and can understand that one accommodation does not rule out another, but it is being reported at this time as being a confusion.

I'm glad you know what words you'll use to explain his needs for a GAC. Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline  
Old 10-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #255
KPeveler
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 6 miles from Disneyland
Posts: 4,024
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Great! I wasn't asking you to explain online. There have been concerns about CMs not allowing a GAC when wheelchair is used, even though WE all know it should be allowed, and I was pointing out that the CMs have to recognize the difference between his wheelchair needs and his needs not met by the wheelchair. It has been reported some CMs are getting lost in a conversation that starts "my wheelchair does this but I still need that..." which is why I recommended not going into detail about the wheelchair at all. Hopefully ALL CMs are trained to listen to the full story and can understand that one accommodation does not rule out another, but it is being reported at this time as being a confusion.

I'm glad you know what words you'll use to explain his needs for a GAC. Enjoy your vacation!
In my experience, most CMs cut me off when I try to explain about my other needs. I start talking, and they interrupt and say "but you already have a wheelchair." And I have to say "yes, but that does not help with..."

The other thing I have discovered is that if you say "If I am in the sun, I will have a reaction and end up in the hospital." To you, it sounds like you are explaining the worst case scenario. To them, they are hearing about what would happen outside the park. Yes, my reaction to too much heat/sun would land me in the hospital, but first I would pass out in their queue and just fall over out of my wheelchair.

So this is my suggestion to keep things simple:

*Even if you show up in a wheelchair, if you have other needs, just do not mention the wheelchair at all.*
*Keep your explanation limited to what would happen in a queue.*
__________________
~Katy~

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: