DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #16
MrsB919
Mouseketeer

Well lately we have been going around the 3rd week of Sept. It's out anniversary and we like the low crowds.

(Me) (Hubby) (Tanky) : (Ony) (Michey)
5/14- BCV, 9/13- CBR & DCL Fantasy, 9/12 -BWI,12/11 -POP, 9/11- Wedding & Honeymoon GF & DCL,
4/11,7/10,3/08 etc. (to many to count)- Offsite
MrsB919 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #17
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsB919 View Post
Well lately we have been going around the 3rd week of Sept. It's out anniversary and we like the low crowds.
That would improve your odds of getting into VGF. And if you wanted 1BR's that would improve it more. If you had some flexibility in your days that would improve it even more. But, of course, without owning there, you'll be taking the risk of not being able to get a room there ever. However personally I think it would happen over the life of your contract but that's just my best guess and you need to plan on being happy staying at other resorts.

Since your torn I'll point out one of the possible consequences of deciding that you actually want to stay more at VGF than you may end up being able to and that could be the sale of your AKV contract for 1/2 of what you paid for it and re-purchase at VGF thus completely negating your initial savings. The second you close on the AKV if you need to sell it will have lost 30-40% of it's value. And then you pay a commission to sell it on top of the best price you could expect to receive.

To ease that though - we love the AKV resort. It's relaxing and unique. Some of our favorite pools and restaurants and we love to watch the animals.

Last edited by KAT4DISNEY; 09-29-2013 at 09:52 PM.
KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #18
MrsB919
Mouseketeer

I'm actually really looking forward to staying at AKV. It looks amazing and dH and I are big animal lovers. I'm looking forward to booking our first savannah view.

5/14- BCV, 9/13- CBR & DCL Fantasy, 9/12 -BWI,12/11 -POP, 9/11- Wedding & Honeymoon GF & DCL,
Old 09-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #19
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
DH and I just got off of the Fantasy and finally bought DVC. We originally wanted to buy into the Grand Floridian Villas but ended up buying at Animal Kingdom because of the incentives on board. We have never stayed at Animal Kingdom but heard that it's very nice. Grand Floridian is special to me because we were married there. However when we brought this up we were told that it would be a little more expensive to buy into the Grand. I know we will eventually be able to stay at the Grand Villas. And I am looking forward to staying at other DVC resorts as well. I was just curious what people thought in regards to if we made a good choice buying into a less expensive DVC or if we should've bought into the Grand Villas. Thanks in advance.
There are many personal variables but I'd suggest that buying AKV retail for 160 pts is not the best decision. The price difference between resale and retail is enough to make it more than worth the effort. If I were going to buy retail, I'd buy VGF or similar (Poly, VGC), a much better long term resale value at a resort you likely can't buy later for 1/2 price. I'd only buy AKV if that's where I wanted to stay most trips or if I wanted the value or concierge rooms around 1/2 the time or more. Personally I'd only recommend people buy if they can afford it which to me means no consumer debt and pay cash. Otherwise the risks outweigh the benefits as there are other ways to vacation at WDW, including at DVC, without owning. The other issue with resale, and VGF, is that if one needed to sell later, you could likely get out with less of a loss than an AKV retail contract would produce.

ETA: For any applicable resort I'd consider the fixed week option.

Last edited by Dean; 09-30-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #20
timandjanl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
DH and I just got off of the Fantasy and finally bought DVC. We originally wanted to buy into the Grand Floridian Villas but ended up buying at Animal Kingdom because of the incentives on board. We have never stayed at Animal Kingdom but heard that it's very nice. Grand Floridian is special to me because we were married there. However when we brought this up we were told that it would be a little more expensive to buy into the Grand. I know we will eventually be able to stay at the Grand Villas. And I am looking forward to staying at other DVC resorts as well. I was just curious what people thought in regards to if we made a good choice buying into a less expensive DVC or if we should've bought into the Grand Villas. Thanks in advance.
If you're willing to spend the money buying direct I would have bought at VGF rather than AKV especially because it's a much larger resort and therefore should theoretically be easier to book at the 7 month mark than VGF. Buying direct at AKV doesn't really make much sense to me given the amount you can save via resale.

Proud DVC Owner at SSR
timandjanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #21
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

We bought most of our points a AKV and did a small add on at VGF. we will use AKV to stay at AKV, SSR and BLT to do the park and our VGF points for just few nights to chill and have nice dinners at VGF before going home.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #22
MrsB919
Mouseketeer

Ok so I have reached out to my sales rep and inquired about what the difference in price will be to get VGF. He is supposed to call me back tomorrow and I guess I will take it from there.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #23
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok so I have reached out to my sales rep and inquired about what the difference in price will be to get VGF. He is supposed to call me back tomorrow and I guess I will take it from there.
VGF is $150pp. One good thing about AKV is that you can book the value villas which are the best deal going (low points). They are tough to book and you really need to own AKV to book the value villas. You may not always want to get the value villas, but if you find you need to conserve points it will be a good option. Standard view is also a good deal and it's nice to be able to book that at 11 months out but not as necessary as it is with the value villas. And I hear the club level is REALLY sweet at AKV and you also need to book that at 11 months out. We added on 100 AKV points this year and will be going for our 1st stay in Dec...can't wait.

Congrats on whichever resort you go with...and WELCOME HOME!!!
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #24
MrsB919
Mouseketeer

I'm so torn. I really love grand Floridian. Like I mentioned its special to us. And yes I want to be able to stay there, however I don't necessarily plan on staying there every stay. As for the value studios those r the ones we are looking to stay in for now. We don't have kids yet. I'm assuming if I buy VGF that it'll be easier for me to get a studio At 11 months out. However is it hard to get studios at other resorts 7 months out? Not just AKV ?

Old 09-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #25
dbs1228
DIS Veteran

I would buy where you want to stay so you are not disappointed. I love AKV for the resort and animals so peaceful but would not stay there for an entire wdw stay due to location. We prefer location and that is why we own at BLT (walk to MK), BWV (walk to epcot and HS) and SSR (for dtd and THV) We are staying 4 nights at VGF in Feb then switching to AKV for 4 nights. AKV was easily booked at the 5 month mark VGF was booked right at 7 months and when I checked at 6 months out there was no availability and the resort is far from being sold out. It will be much harder to stay there.

I agree with most posters that if you are considering AKV buy resale. Many do not like the resort since they feel it is too dark and far away. As I said I love it. VGF is point expensive to stay there so less nights for the same amount of points. Cancel the contract and read, read, read! Good luck

dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #26
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'm so torn. I really love grand Floridian. Like I mentioned its special to us. And yes I want to be able to stay there, however I don't necessarily plan on staying there every stay. As for the value studios those r the ones we are looking to stay in for now. We don't have kids yet. I'm assuming if I buy VGF that it'll be easier for me to get a studio At 11 months out. However is it hard to get studios at other resorts 7 months out? Not just AKV ?
The VGF is small. It's sure to be difficult to book a Studio there whereas AKV is much larger and should remain relatively easy to book a Standard or Savannah View Studio.

Given your love of the Grand Floridian, don't worry about the slightly higher price for direct sales and just go with VGF.

If you stick with AKV, you might always second guess yourself but given your string attachment with the Grand Floridian, I'm sure you won't regret going with VGF.

Do it now before prices go up!
Nabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #27
sndral
DIS Veteran

Direct from Disney:
160 pts. at VGF =$24,000 + closing costs ($150 per point)
160 pts. at AKV =$21,400 + closing costs (($150-$10 per pt.) -$1000)
Resale:
160 pts. at VGF cannot be found yet
160 pts. at AKV =$12,800 + closing costs ($80 per pt.)

What will 160 pts. get you?
VGF studio standard view 9 nights in early Oct. = 165 pts.
AKV studio savannah view 9 nights in early Oct. = 152 pts.

Hope this helps your decision making, if I was comfortable spending $20,000+, I'd go for VGF, I'm too frugal, tho', so I'm going AKV resale

Numbers for Disney direct based on DVC news site and for resale based on my best estimate from ROFR and listing prices @ resale co.s. Resale could be less if you are patient or more if upward trend continues.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #28
zavandor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Please consider that you have 10 days to cancel your contract with absolutely no penalty. After that you'll be stuck with your purchase.
Your guide sells AKV and GFV everyday, so he certainly knows very well the difference in price. The only reason I can think of for delaying an answer is to make you approach the 10 days marks.

If you are uncertain: cancel the purchase now. You can buy tomorrow with exactly the same conditions.

About your plans: you are going to visit the third week of September. This is one of the lowest demand period for DVC. Most of the booking categories will be open for this period. I've just came back from WDW were I spent the 2nd and 3rd week of September in a AKV value studio. Due to its low price this is a very very very difficult room to get, but I got it at 7 months with my SSR points.

But... don't try this at home!
I mean: if you know that you want to stay in a specific resort in a specific time of the year, buy that resort (and buy resale if that option is available).
3rd week of September was in low demand this year, but none knows what will happen in the future. If Disney extends the food and wine to that week, it might became an high demand week!

So my checklist:
- are you 100% comfortable about your purchase? If not, cancel and research a little more
- are you set to a specific resort and would be upset to not be able to book there? Buy that resort. Otherwise consider a low cost resort (like SSR, cheap to buy and cheap Maintenance Fees)
- is resale available for the resort you are interested in? Then buy resale (every resort except GFV), buy direct otherwise (GFV)

Last edited by zavandor; 10-01-2013 at 09:49 AM.
zavandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #29
DenLo
DIS Veteran

AKV is a wonderful resort. But not everyone thinks so. If you really like Grand Floridian, you might find Animal Kingdom Lodge and villas not to your taste. The rooms are more rustic and entire resort is darker--literally. But despite that AKV is one of my favorite resorts (including Aulani). So we bought there. But we also love BLT and we bought there too. We bought at the resorts we really love. So if we have to stay at our home resorts we are still happy. We always book our home resort at the 11 month mark and then sometimes we will try to switch to another DVC resort at the 7 month mark.

VGF is sort of unknown as to the booking patterns. However, we know thanks to wdrl's articles on the DVC News, that the majority of fixed weeks are being purchased in November and December. That means up to 35% of the villas will not be available for DVC member using points during those months. So the available rooms at VGF drop before you could even book them at the 11 month mark.

I think buying where you want to stay is important. More so today than in past years. But until you stay at another DVC resort, how will you know if you like it?

DenLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #30
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Direct from Disney:
160 pts. at VGF =$24,000 + closing costs ($150 per point)
160 pts. at AKV =$21,400 + closing costs (($150-$10 per pt.) -$1000)
Resale:
160 pts. at VGF cannot be found yet
160 pts. at AKV =$12,800 + closing costs ($80 per pt.)

What will 160 pts. get you?
VGF studio standard view 9 nights in early Oct. = 165 pts.
AKV studio savannah view 9 nights in early Oct. = 152 pts.

Hope this helps your decision making, if I was comfortable spending $20,000+, I'd go for VGF, I'm too frugal, tho', so I'm going AKV resale

Numbers for Disney direct based on DVC news site and for resale based on my best estimate from ROFR and listing prices @ resale co.s. Resale could be less if you are patient or more if upward trend continues.
To me, this basically spells out that if I'm willing to fork over $9k for the convenience of buying direct, I might as well fork over the extra $2.6k to get what is special to me. However, I can't, in a million years, imagine forking over an extra $9k to start with - but I'm frugal that way. If it were me, I'd rent points, save my money, and wait for VFG resales to reach a "reasonable" cost (which may be a few years). A new resort direct from Disney is like buying a new Mercedes, wait a bit and someone else will take the depreciation hit.

OP, you keep using the word special and talking about your honeymoon. I'm a "buy where you won't mind ending up" fan - with the exception that if your HEART is at a certain resort, you should own there. It seems to me that your heart is at the Grand Floridian. And I believe that for two reasons - one, people who have their heart at a resort are more than disappointed when they can't book there. And two, whatever resort you own you are likely to feel ownership in - even if it isn't your favorite (once in a while we get SSR owners who never stay at SSR, but if you 'bash' their home - oh my!) You might as well feel that ownership at the place you love, not the place you feel an obligation to defend.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: