Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #1471
sammatt
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendydagny View Post
Right I get that. My daughter is in a wheelchair AND has needs that require a DAS. What I'm not sure about is if she can get a wheelchair return card independent of her DAS, or if that is "cheating the system".
I believe it is one or the other, but not both. Someone will chime in if I'm wrong.
sammatt is offline  
Old 11-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #1472
Wendydagny
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 207

I'm not sure there is an official answer. It would seem unfair if you could not do both since there is no limit on the number of WC return cards that you can collect, but the DAS is limited. And since you do not have the option of choosing to wait standby at those attractions if you are already holding a return time on your DAS.
Wendydagny is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #1473
WheeledTraveler
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 776

You can have both a DAS and a wheelchair return return card at the same time. Several people have reported that it's even been suggested by CMs (at least at DL, if not WDW). Personally, I'd plan on not using the DAS for rides with a return card and just get a return card for those. Keep in mind, though, that I think the return cards do have a set return period (like a Fastpass) rather than being just "after x time" (the way that DAS does).
WheeledTraveler is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #1474
jlaalja
Mouseketeer
 
jlaalja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 144

Just returned from a week at Walt Disney World. My daughter has a DAS card. We did not use it on rides with wheelchair return time cards. The return time cards are open ended, meaning you may return anytime after the time they give you. This is very helpful! We didn't do very well this trip with the new DAS & testing the new FP+ system but I think it's just going to require more planning. We did learn quickly that our daughter could not go with us to the rides to get the return times! 😕
__________________
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"]July 2008 Offsite - July 2009 Offsite - December/January 2010/2011 AKV (Kidani)/Offsite - July 2011 BCV - September 2011 SSR - December/January 2011/2012 Offsite - April 2012 SSR - June 2012 BLT - July/August 2012 DLR - September 2012 BWV - December/January 2012/2013 BCV/SSR - March/April 2013 OKW - August 2013 WL/POR - September 2013 BLT - November 2013 SSR - December/January 2013/2014 AKV (Kidani)/SSR - April 2014 VGF/BLT - June 2014 BLT - July 2014 CSR/BLT - August 2014 POR/VWL- September 2014 SSR - December/January 2014/2015 BWV/AKV

Joe Lisa Lynae (15) Jacob (12) Anthony (4)
jlaalja is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #1475
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,817
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaalja View Post
Just returned from a week at Walt Disney World. My daughter has a DAS card. We did not use it on rides with wheelchair return time cards. The return time cards are open ended, meaning you may return anytime after the time they give you. This is very helpful! We didn't do very well this trip with the new DAS & testing the new FP+ system but I think it's just going to require more planning. We did learn quickly that our daughter could not go with us to the rides to get the return times! 😕
Do you remember which attractions you got wheelchair return times on?

We were at WDW from October 25 thru November 9. It was not busy though, so there were no attractions giving wheelchair return times.
(Thanks to the time of the year we went and using easywdw.com and touringplans.com to choose the quietest park for each day).
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #1476
My2CrazyGirls
DIS Veteran
 
My2CrazyGirls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,499

We returned from our Thanksgiving week trip! It was GREAT! The DAS worked out great for our daughter, no issues at all! I do have an observation....there were so many fewer ECV's there there have been in past trips. Maybe this proves the amount of people who were scamming to get a GAC was very high!
My2CrazyGirls is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #1477
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,660

Yesterday we went to see the princesses from Frozen. As with other M&G without times posted, a DAS cannot be used.

I just wanted to say that the cm working this queue between 6:30 and 7pm last night and the people in line were fantastic. The cm took a count of how many people in each group/family. Since you were counted, it was perfectly fine to have people who couldn't wait long going in and out of line.

While this may sound chaotic, it really wasn't. It made for a very nice wait. In fact, it was almost like having a DAS, except a member of each party held a spot. And it was actually very well organized.
lovethattink is offline  
Old 12-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #1478
brown1442
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 215

I would love to know which rides give wc return cards too. We are going in March and I am still trying to figure out how to plan which rides to use FP+ for, which rides to use DAS, and which rides to use wc return cards for. I know this system will take more planning but I am finding it hard to think through.
brown1442 is offline  
Old 12-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #1479
jlaalja
Mouseketeer
 
jlaalja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
Do you remember which attractions you got wheelchair return times on? We were at WDW from October 25 thru November 9. It was not busy though, so there were no attractions giving wheelchair return times. (Thanks to the time of the year we went and using easywdw.com and touringplans.com to choose the quietest park for each day).
We were there over Thanksgiving week and got return time cards for:

Magic Kingdom
It's a Small World (weren't doing it at the beginning of the week for IASW but by end were so it's definitely crowd related)
Big Thunder Mountain
Jungle Cruise

Hollywood Studios
Star Tours
__________________
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"]July 2008 Offsite - July 2009 Offsite - December/January 2010/2011 AKV (Kidani)/Offsite - July 2011 BCV - September 2011 SSR - December/January 2011/2012 Offsite - April 2012 SSR - June 2012 BLT - July/August 2012 DLR - September 2012 BWV - December/January 2012/2013 BCV/SSR - March/April 2013 OKW - August 2013 WL/POR - September 2013 BLT - November 2013 SSR - December/January 2013/2014 AKV (Kidani)/SSR - April 2014 VGF/BLT - June 2014 BLT - July 2014 CSR/BLT - August 2014 POR/VWL- September 2014 SSR - December/January 2014/2015 BWV/AKV

Joe Lisa Lynae (15) Jacob (12) Anthony (4)
jlaalja is offline  
Old 12-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #1480
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,817
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaalja View Post
We were there over Thanksgiving week and got return time cards for:

Magic Kingdom
It's a Small World (weren't doing it at the beginning of the week for IASW but by end were so it's definitely crowd related)
Big Thunder Mountain
Jungle Cruise

Hollywood Studios
Star Tours
We were on all of those except Big Thunder Mountain during our trip and none of them had return time tickets in use.
It was not that bust though, so my guess is that they may not use the return time tickets when waits are short (all were short when we went).
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline  
Old 12-05-2013, 01:41 AM   #1481
tiggspring
DIS Veteran: When I stop talking you'll know I'm dead!
 
tiggspring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pittsburgh Pa area
Posts: 1,912

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagirl View Post
I'm not asking for better access merely for a better option for me to wait my turn. There are several mobility impairments for which a wheelchair and/or being stationary are the worst things you can do for them. I move fairly constantly in my daily life and require special accomodations for every day life. I'm not sure how an "accomodation" that will exacerbate my condition is a fair solution. The dirty looks and comments are the least of my concerns. Standing up and falling on someone and/or their child is a much bigger issue. I guess people forget the "fill in all available space" line that is word vomited constantly by CMs. I don't want anything better than anyone else has. No problem waiting my 90 minutes for TSM walking laps.

Nijagirl,

I totally get what your saying. My fibromyalgia, migraines triggered by fatigue and heat, and chronic fatigue syndrome make sitting in a wheel chair a no go. I lose feeling in my legs, feet, hips etc when I sit for too long. I totally crash when I walk too long and standing too long causes same symptoms as sitting only throw in dizzy spells and headaches for good measure . Standing in the heat is also a big nono. Being bumped in line can be excruciating, Exhausting myself or "going off pace" triggers migraines that cause me to lose part of my vision and sometimes impact my speech or cause me to drag my right leg behind me. For those of you that dont understand the issues of an invisible disability these are just a few and a wheel chair fixes none of them. On our three trips to WDW I have always gotten a GAC but because of good planning and some luck have never used it because I believe I should only use it when I have to. By the looks of it the new passes will be useless to many of us with invisible mobility/exhaustion issues. The new FP+ with tier system looks like it will hurt us too. How I got around my issues was planning the time of my trip in May week after Mother's Day when weather was good and crowds were low. Stayed in monorail resort so I could rush back for a migraine and used ridmax (online computer planning program)..It was my secret weapon. It helped me keep a pace of 5 min walk, 5min wait, ride most of day and really let me see what parts of my day needed to be tweeked to avoid doing anything for too long. We went for the taping of the Christmas parade with dd8 and found it to be a fantastic time to go. It was cool and crowds were a 2-3 most of the time no real planning needed. Tapping is always week after thanksgiving. I really cant say enough about ridemax. (there are others but I cant speak to their effectiveness) I think it is a must for anyone trying to manage a disability or just young kids in the park. I do hope they get these passes tweeked a bit so they would be a good fall back for people like us. I cannot imagine going in the summer or during Christmas ect without some of the old accommodations. They will see an increase of visitors to the aid stations for those who try but fail to manage WDW and their disability. I can guarantee it. Those cheaters who used their passes to make money really ruined it for the rest of us WDW was a fantastic place for accommodating those of us with invisible disabilities. Nijagirl consider using ridmax. I think it will be quite helpful.
__________________
~Bonnie~
MeDHDD 14 DS 12 DD 9Sesi 6 Garfield 5yr Yuki 5yr Yeti 5y

tiggspring is offline  
Old 12-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #1482
Tink575
Mouseketeer
 
Tink575's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE and Kissimmee
Posts: 383

Yesterday I went to GR in Magic Kingdom to renew my DAS that had expired in Oct. I'd had a bad experience getting one and was hesitant to go ask, but I shored up my courage since we had just renewed our APs. We are PT local residents with no FP+. The cast member scanned my DAS took my pic and we were on our way. I was SO happy,

At first the CM directed me down the stairs again, to another CM, and I called to my dh to help me down, and he said no, no and called someone over with the mini iPad. They were so considerate and nice it was a real 180 from my first experience. I can't tell you how I stressed over this.
__________________
Me 62; DH : 63;

Sept. - Oct. 2014
Offsite 1975; Offsite 1986; 30? other trips; 2006 - Present: Part-time resident
Tink575 is offline  
Old 12-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #1483
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran
 
aaarcher86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 7,768

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggspring View Post
Nijagirl,

I totally get what your saying. My fibromyalgia, migraines triggered by fatigue and heat, and chronic fatigue syndrome make sitting in a wheel chair a no go. I lose feeling in my legs, feet, hips etc when I sit for too long. I totally crash when I walk too long and standing too long causes same symptoms as sitting only throw in dizzy spells and headaches for good measure . Standing in the heat is also a big nono. Being bumped in line can be excruciating, Exhausting myself or "going off pace" triggers migraines that cause me to lose part of my vision and sometimes impact my speech or cause me to drag my right leg behind me. For those of you that dont understand the issues of an invisible disability these are just a few and a wheel chair fixes none of them. On our three trips to WDW I have always gotten a GAC but because of good planning and some luck have never used it because I believe I should only use it when I have to. By the looks of it the new passes will be useless to many of us with invisible mobility/exhaustion issues. The new FP+ with tier system looks like it will hurt us too. How I got around my issues was planning the time of my trip in May week after Mother's Day when weather was good and crowds were low. Stayed in monorail resort so I could rush back for a migraine and used ridmax (online computer planning program)..It was my secret weapon. It helped me keep a pace of 5 min walk, 5min wait, ride most of day and really let me see what parts of my day needed to be tweeked to avoid doing anything for too long. We went for the taping of the Christmas parade with dd8 and found it to be a fantastic time to go. It was cool and crowds were a 2-3 most of the time no real planning needed. Tapping is always week after thanksgiving. I really cant say enough about ridemax. (there are others but I cant speak to their effectiveness) I think it is a must for anyone trying to manage a disability or just young kids in the park. I do hope they get these passes tweeked a bit so they would be a good fall back for people like us. I cannot imagine going in the summer or during Christmas ect without some of the old accommodations. They will see an increase of visitors to the aid stations for those who try but fail to manage WDW and their disability. I can guarantee it. Those cheaters who used their passes to make money really ruined it for the rest of us WDW was a fantastic place for accommodating those of us with invisible disabilities. Nijagirl consider using ridmax. I think it will be quite helpful.
I sincerely hope you can find a way to make it work.

I do, personally, wish people would stop blaming the cheaters for this change. They're such a small portion of users.
__________________
aaarcher86 is offline  
Old 12-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #1484
tiggspring
DIS Veteran: When I stop talking you'll know I'm dead!
 
tiggspring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pittsburgh Pa area
Posts: 1,912

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
I sincerely hope you can find a way to make it work. I do, personally, wish people would stop blaming the cheaters for this change. They're such a small portion of users.
The change happened within a week of NBC's report on major cheating. That is not a coincidence. I don't blame Disney they absolutely had to do something or everyone who saw that show and was so inclined was going to abuse the system some more. It has just hurt a lot of people.
__________________
~Bonnie~
MeDHDD 14 DS 12 DD 9Sesi 6 Garfield 5yr Yuki 5yr Yeti 5y

tiggspring is offline  
Old 12-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #1485
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,817
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggspring View Post
The change happened within a week of NBC's report on major cheating. That is not a coincidence. I don't blame Disney they absolutely had to do something or everyone who saw that show and was so inclined was going to abuse the system some more. It has just hurt a lot of people.
I know they have been working on it for at least 2 years, so it was not just in response to the abuse reports.

There were also situations where the issue was the sheer number of guests with special needs overwhelming the system.
There is more information in post 2 of this thread.

We are asking there not to be discussion or complaints about the new DAS program. We wanted this thread to be helpful.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: