Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #1441
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411
I just wanted to update that again when we went to renew YDD's DAS that we were asked why she needed the accommodations. This is prior to the CM even looking at the card or looking her up in the system. And she only had 3 slots filled in on the back for the 2 weeks so still not an overuse of the card.

Maybe because she looks just fine they feel the need to ask but having to re qualify every 2 weeks isn't how it is supposed to work and I really try to not discuss her issues in front of her because she gets upset. She's to the point that she knows people judge her for her behavior but unfortunately that doesn't cure the issues. I guess it is time to write up a note about her needs and just bring it with me when we renew her card.

And we didn't need everyone with us, they just asked if we were still a party of 6 and that was that. So that seems to be a YMMV thing.
Boy, talk about inconsistencies! It seems like the only thing that is guaranteed is to not know what to expect! One person can't get one for a party larger than 4 without everyone being there and another person has no problem getting one for 6 with out anyone being with them! It's a bit ridiculous IMHO....it's going on 6 weeks now
Old 11-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #1442
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
Boy, talk about inconsistencies! It seems like the only thing that is guaranteed is to not know what to expect! One person can't get one for a party larger than 4 without everyone being there and another person has no problem getting one for 6 with out anyone being with them! It's a bit ridiculous IMHO....it's going on 6 weeks now
I thought the official rule was that over 6 required the full party present but anything less didn't require it.

I've seen a few reports otherwise, but most seem to support that.
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #1443
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Boy, talk about inconsistencies! It seems like the only thing that is guaranteed is to not know what to expect!
I think they might be doing this on purpose, to keep people honest. If you don't know what is needed to get the DAS, less chance of fraud?
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Old 11-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #1444
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
I think they might be doing this on purpose, to keep people honest. If you don't know what is needed to get the DAS, less chance of fraud?
The people out to get a DAS fraudulently can lie with a straight face. Basically, it's just like getting a GAC and they got those cards with no problem.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #1445
CaraMiaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:

But that was a renewal. Maybe they all had to be present the first time. ???

Very anxiously awaiting our next Disney vacation, which could be either March, April, or May 2016, Oct or Nov 2015, or this spring, if I have my way.
Sigh.

April '88 with high school marching band Tokyo DL!
May '99 with sister's family, DW Dixie Landings (POR-R)
May '00 with work DW Beach Club
May '01 with work DL Grand Californian
May '02 with work DW Boardwalk
May '03 with work DW Yacht Club
May '04 with work DW Beach Club

Nov '13 first family Disney vacation! DW POR-R/AoA Cars
Old 11-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #1446
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraMiaBelle View Post

But that was a renewal. Maybe they all had to be present the first time. ???
No, we didn't. In fact I was clear with them that I normally come to the parks with just the 3 little kids but sometimes my teen and DH come with us so we would only have 4 people for the most part. They set it as 6 so we keep it as 6.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
Old 11-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #1447
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
With a DAS you go to the attraction and get a return time. For example it is now 11am, return time is 12:30. You return at 12:30 and then have to wait another 30 minutes on the ramp (wheelchair accessible line)?

It is good to have this sort of info. I am lucky that my son CAN walk in some lines, and I will now pick the ones like Small World. Pirates is hard for him to walk on, being dark and sort of uneven, but he might be able to do it.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #1448
Suellen
DIS Veteran

So I've only tried to get a DAS at Epcot once and have been less than interested in even trying (which means we don't do any rides) since then.

I have conditions that make it difficult to do stairs (especially when there are a lot of people around not being especially mindful) and also standing still on slanted/tilted floors causes a great amount of pain. When we went to Epcot I was told to rent a wheelchair.

We are locals and go to the parks a few times a week.... no way can I rent a wheelchair every time we stop in for an evening.

Have others had better experiences? Or is this just the canned answer I can expect from now on?
Old 11-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #1449
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

It was renewal of DAS time. This time we went to GS outside of MK. There were no questions asked once again. We needed his increased from 3 to 5 people this time. The cm told me to get it renewed in the park next time. I should have asked why. Perhaps it was because of how long the queue was outside? I don't know, I'm just drawing straws as to the why. But we will oblige.

Once again, there were only two rides ridden using the DAS in those two weeks. However, yesterday was the perfect park day at 73 degrees. DS was at his best and able to stay 5 hours. He rode 3 rides using DAS and 1 using a FP.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #1450
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
So I've only tried to get a DAS at Epcot once and have been less than interested in even trying (which means we don't do any rides) since then. I have conditions that make it difficult to do stairs (especially when there are a lot of people around not being especially mindful) and also standing still on slanted/tilted floors causes a great amount of pain. When we went to Epcot I was told to rent a wheelchair. We are locals and go to the parks a few times a week.... no way can I rent a wheelchair every time we stop in for an evening. Have others had better experiences? Or is this just the canned answer I can expect from now on?
This may not be the answer you are looking for, but have you considered purchasing your own wheelchair? There are many inexpensive ones, and then you could have it whenever you need it, not just at Disney.

Using a wheelchair or ECV is Disney's pat answer to anyone whose needs appear to be purely mobility related. It sounds like your needs would be met by using a wheelchair or ECV.

You do not need to sit in it the entire time. You can park it in stroller parking if you want and go get it as you need it.

Other than the expense, is there a reason you don't want to use one?

1987 Off-property; 2008 Off-property; June 2011 DFTW!!! POR & Off-property; December 2011 POP; June 2012 POP; June 2013 POP; December 2013 AoA
Old 11-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #1451
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Except when I am alone with an 8 year old and a 6 year old who is supposed to push the stupid wheelchair?

And no... I would never use it any other time that comes to mind.

Frankly I don't need a wheelchair or ECV... I couldn't even get it in and out of the car on my own.

Since the new system I just haven't ridden any rides at WDW at all... Busch Gardens, Sea World and Universal have been much more accommodating and never asked me to get a wheelchair.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #1452
kritter47
Mouseketeer

If a wheelchair will not work for you, a rollator would be another option (essentially a walker that has a seat built into it, which would allow you to sit in lines and also serve as a visual signal to CMs that you need to avoid the stairs). Your kids would not have to push you in that, and it would give you a place to sit anywhere in the park that you might get stuck standing.

Frankly, the issues you describe are mobility related, and Disney's accommodation for mobility-related needs is to suggest a wheelchair or other a mobility device. A DAS is not designed for mobility needs, nor will it be given out when those are the only needs that need accommodation. If you choose not to make use of other available accommodations, that is your choice, but Disney will not provide alternate arrangements simply because you do not want to use the ones available to you.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #1453
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So I've only tried to get a DAS at Epcot once and have been less than interested in even trying (which means we don't do any rides) since then.

I have conditions that make it difficult to do stairs (especially when there are a lot of people around not being especially mindful) and also standing still on slanted/tilted floors causes a great amount of pain. When we went to Epcot I was told to rent a wheelchair.

We are locals and go to the parks a few times a week.... no way can I rent a wheelchair every time we stop in for an evening.

Have others had better experiences? Or is this just the canned answer I can expect from now on?
A DAS will not provide a stair or ramp free entrance to an attraction therefore a DAS won't help what you just described. If the queue has stairs or a ramp that you can't use then ask at the entrance to the attraction if there's a way to get to the attraction without a ramp or stairs. They used to give a GAC indicating that you couldn't use stairs but now I believe people are being told to just ask about an accessible entrance at the entrance to the attraction.

Not wanting to use a mobility device is not something that Disney considers to be a reason for needing a DAS. If you have a need that can NOT be met using a mobility device then you have to explain that to Guest Relations.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
Old 11-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #1454
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Except when I am alone with an 8 year old and a 6 year old who is supposed to push the stupid wheelchair? And no... I would never use it any other time that comes to mind. Frankly I don't need a wheelchair or ECV... I couldn't even get it in and out of the car on my own. Since the new system I just haven't ridden any rides at WDW at all... Busch Gardens, Sea World and Universal have been much more accommodating and never asked me to get a wheelchair.
You stated in your original post that you need to avoid stairs and can't stand in line. Most lines move slowly enough that you could self propel the chair, even using your feet if that is an option for you.

When not in line and thus not needing the chair, you could always push it. You could use it to hold your bags or even let the kids take a break and ride for a bit.

If you don't want to use the chair because of pride, think of it as any other tool. You would never not use eyeglasses if you needed them.

1987 Off-property; 2008 Off-property; June 2011 DFTW!!! POR & Off-property; December 2011 POP; June 2012 POP; June 2013 POP; December 2013 AoA
Old 11-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #1455
Suellen
DIS Veteran

I find it absolutely ridiculous for me to BUY or RENT a wheelchair I very literally do not need.

We will likely just have to let our annual passes go... or mine anyway and the kids can go when the husband can take them.

Movement is best for my condition and sitting in a wheelchair isn't going to make it better or even be helpful and could worsen my condition.... my major problems are as I said... I can't go up and down stairs (especially in crowds where people are rude and pushy) and I can't stand still on an incline (Space Mountain, Soarin, It's a Small World, Space Ship Earth... plus I'm sure many I'm no thinking of off hand).

Until my passes expire I guess I will just keep trying to explain to CM at each ride why I can't stand in the queues and 90% of the time end up not riding because they just shrug and offer zero suggestions.

Not really a huge deal I guess... there are a million other ways to spend my money in Central Florida we just loved Disney so much.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: