Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #1396
ninjagirl
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
I see a lot of questions from people about wheelchairs/ECV's for mobility and stamina issues when being seated for a prolonged period also causes issues. A lot of times they want a DAS instead.

From what I understand, Disney is now enforcing the wheelchair/ECV as an accommodation for stamina and mobility, and if you don't want to use one, that is your choice Disney doesn't have to give you a DAS because you don't want to use the accommodation they have offered.

Just because you have a wheelchair/ECV doesn't mean you are chained to it all day. You can stand and walk when you need to, even in line. So what if you get dirty looks or comments? You can leave the device in stroller parking if you don't need it for a while.

Now if there is another reason you can't stand/sit/wait in line, then you should by all means explain your needed accommodations to GS and ask for a DAS. But just having pain or stiffness from sitting or standing still is probably not going to get you a DAS and I think that is unclear in some of the posts.
I'm not asking for better access merely for a better option for me to wait my turn. There are several mobility impairments for which a wheelchair and/or being stationary are the worst things you can do for them. I move fairly constantly in my daily life and require special accomodations for every day life. I'm not sure how an "accomodation" that will exacerbate my condition is a fair solution.

The dirty looks and comments are the least of my concerns. Standing up and falling on someone and/or their child is a much bigger issue. I guess people forget the "fill in all available space" line that is word vomited constantly by CMs. I don't want anything better than anyone else has. No problem waiting my 90 minutes for TSM walking laps.
ninjagirl is offline  
Old 11-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #1397
Rowanonfire
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
I see a lot of questions from people about wheelchairs/ECV's for mobility and stamina issues when being seated for a prolonged period also causes issues. A lot of times they want a DAS instead.

From what I understand, Disney is now enforcing the wheelchair/ECV as an accommodation for stamina and mobility, and if you don't want to use one, that is your choice Disney doesn't have to give you a DAS because you don't want to use the accommodation they have offered.

Just because you have a wheelchair/ECV doesn't mean you are chained to it all day. You can stand and walk when you need to, even in line. So what if you get dirty looks or comments? You can leave the device in stroller parking if you don't need it for a while.

Now if there is another reason you can't stand/sit/wait in line, then you should by all means explain your needed accommodations to GS and ask for a DAS. But just having pain or stiffness from sitting or standing still is probably not going to get you a DAS and I think that is unclear in some of the posts.
The only thing that gets me is, if you need to stay mobile - well, a themepark line will not allow you to do that? Let's be honest - the lines likely move very slowly especially if you're not in the FP line. In my case, for the vast majority of lines - By the time I get to the front, I will be unlikely to be able to physically ride due to have much I would have struggled in the queue line. I will have a wheelchair with me too, as I sometimes have issues with endurance when walking, so I may ride in the chair for a short time period. But no longer then 20 mins or so. It's not the endurance that stops me from waiting in a standard line - it's the fact that with a long wait, I wouldn't even be able to ride the attraction by the time I got there, wheelchair or no!

I have sort of tried to make peace with the fact that I'm probably only gonna be able to ride the headliner per day I can get a FP for. And as part of my trip overlaps into spring break, probably less smaller attractions too. I'm in Disney world, there will be other stuff to do....It just seems wrong that some people with genuine needs are being denied assistance. If I wanted to lie to get a DAS I could just claim to have other needs I don't. :S
Rowanonfire is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #1398
Rowanonfire
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagirl View Post
I'm not asking for better access merely for a better option for me to wait my turn. There are several mobility impairments for which a wheelchair and/or being stationary are the worst things you can do for them. I move fairly constantly in my daily life and require special accomodations for every day life. I'm not sure how an "accomodation" that will exacerbate my condition is a fair solution.

The dirty looks and comments are the least of my concerns. Standing up and falling on someone and/or their child is a much bigger issue. I guess people forget the "fill in all available space" line that is word vomited constantly by CMs. I don't want anything better than anyone else has. No problem waiting my 90 minutes for TSM walking laps.
This is a worry of mine too. It's likely totally irrational, as it's not THAT likely to happen (i wouldn't put myself in that position) but I have actually had stress dreams where I'm alone in the line with my niece and I have collapsed due to my legs giving out, or fell on to a ride track while boarding.
Rowanonfire is offline  
Old 11-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #1399
livndisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,052

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagirl View Post
I'm not asking for better access merely for a better option for me to wait my turn. There are several mobility impairments for which a wheelchair and/or being stationary are the worst things you can do for them. I move fairly constantly in my daily life and require special accomodations for every day life. I'm not sure how an "accomodation" that will exacerbate my condition is a fair solution.

The dirty looks and comments are the least of my concerns. Standing up and falling on someone and/or their child is a much bigger issue. I guess people forget the "fill in all available space" line that is word vomited constantly by CMs. I don't want anything better than anyone else has. No problem waiting my 90 minutes for TSM walking laps.
Where do they tell you to fill in all available space on TSM?
livndisney is offline  
Old 11-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #1400
ninjagirl
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowanonfire View Post
The only thing that gets me is, if you need to stay mobile - well, a themepark line will not allow you to do that? Let's be honest - the lines likely move very slowly especially if you're not in the FP line. In my case, for the vast majority of lines - By the time I get to the front, I will be unlikely to be able to physically ride due to have much I would have struggled in the queue line. I will have a wheelchair with me too, as I sometimes have issues with endurance when walking, so I may ride in the chair for a short time period. But no longer then 20 mins or so. It's not the endurance that stops me from waiting in a standard line - it's the fact that with a long wait, I wouldn't even be able to ride the attraction by the time I got there, wheelchair or no!

I have sort of tried to make peace with the fact that I'm probably only gonna be able to ride the headliner per day I can get a FP for. And as part of my trip overlaps into spring break, probably less smaller attractions too. I'm in Disney world, there will be other stuff to do....It just seems wrong that some people with genuine needs are being denied assistance. If I wanted to lie to get a DAS I could just claim to have other needs I don't. :S
This is exactly my point. It's not taking anything away from anyone else by requesting that for my safety and yours, I wait my turn somewhere else in exchange for a fast(er) access to the attraction(and for the record I mean walking to the loading area not the actual wait time) than the standby line will allow. I dont want to ride 5 times in a row. I don't want immediate access. I want to be able to move through the queue at the pace I need to keep my condition from flaring up.
ninjagirl is offline  
Old 11-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #1401
delmar411
DIS Veteran
 
delmar411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 8,833

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post

Where do they tell you to fill in all available space on TSM?
TSM is a stand still line a large portion of the time. I can see where this would be a major problem for someone who needs to keep in motion.
__________________
Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one. ~Abbott Joseph Liebling
The test of democracy is freedom of criticism. ~David Ben-Gurion
If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. ~Noam Chomsky
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline  
Old 11-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #1402
livndisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,052

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
TSM is a stand still line a large portion of the time. I can see where this would be a major problem for someone who needs to keep in motion.
How does this line differ for others?
livndisney is offline  
Old 11-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #1403
ninjagirl
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
How does this line differ for others?
It doesn't. It was merely an example I was using to infer that I'm not looking for better access. I'll wait 90+ minutes whatever it is for the headliners. I just can't do it in the same manner that everyone else can given my disability. I can't stand or sit crowded in one spot (and before you come back and say its not one spot you move, its not enough movement).

The "fill in all available space" wasn't in reference to TSM either, just a general statement. Standing still in long lines for a long period of time plus the sky way bridge make this ride inacessible to me without additional accomodations.
ninjagirl is offline  
Old 11-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #1404
Wishes Count
DIS Veteran
 
Wishes Count's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagirl View Post
It doesn't. It was merely an example I was using to infer that I'm not looking for better access. I'll wait 90+ minutes whatever it is for the headliners. I just can't do it in the same manner that everyone else can given my disability. I can't stand or sit crowded in one spot (and before you come back and say its not one spot you move, its not enough movement).

The "fill in all available space" wasn't in reference to TSM either, just a general statement. Standing still in long lines for a long period of time plus the sky way bridge make this ride inacessible to me without additional accomodations.
IMHO after reading your responses that is what you need to explain to the GR CM after they give their suggestions. Give the examples of rides where you know you have problems. Just calmly and politely explain why those suggestions won't work and why the DAS will help you. Remember that being polite often makes people want to help you more. I know for myself the second someone begins an attitude or begins to yell I will not go out of my way to help them.

Now the DAS won't help with getting those alternative entrances like at Haunted Manision. You would still need to ask at the attraction and explain the "herding" and dark space issues.
__________________
Wishes Count is offline  
Old 11-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #1405
livndisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,052

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagirl View Post
It doesn't. It was merely an example I was using to infer that I'm not looking for better access. I'll wait 90+ minutes whatever it is for the headliners. I just can't do it in the same manner that everyone else can given my disability. I can't stand or sit crowded in one spot (and before you come back and say its not one spot you move, its not enough movement).

The "fill in all available space" wasn't in reference to TSM either, just a general statement. Standing still in long lines for a long period of time plus the sky way bridge make this ride inacessible to me without additional accomodations.
So what will help you? I am not understanding. Even with a DAS you may still be in line in one place. In theory if you have a FP with a return time, you would be waiting somewhere and then return to the FP line right? Will that work?
livndisney is offline  
Old 11-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #1406
ninjagirl
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
So what will help you? I am not understanding. Even with a DAS you may still be in line in one place. In theory if you have a FP with a return time, you would be waiting somewhere and then return to the FP line right? Will that work?
That is the exact accommodation I need. As long as we qualify for a DAS, I'll be fine. It wasn't the immediate access of the GAC that was the most helpful, it was being able to move through the fast pass queue which is often a more continuous pace line or short durations of standing in place and the specificity that we could use alternative entrances even though we didn't have wheelchairs in our party.

I know it will take some time to get used to the new system and I think honestly if we could schedule all of our day with FP plus, this would be a non issue. FP+ is becoming even less of a solution as they roll out the tier levels and we have to choose which headliner we won't get to do. Overall, the type of accommodation that FP allows (even if we have to wait the return time before being allowed to enter) is what we need, quick moving queue to load the right without being sedentary or stationary for too long. I just wanted to make sure that I can communicate that directly in an effective manner with the CM. It sounds like the most common question is what accommodations do you need so my hope is that in explaining that we can't sit nor stand for long periods without being able to move will allow us to get the accommodations we need. It's extremely frustrating with so many changes already going on with FP+ and MDE and the Magic Bands that having to worry about this too is a little much. I know it happens, it's life and it's Disney for you. However, knowing what it is about my disability that I need to communicate will be a huge weight lifted.
ninjagirl is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 05:55 AM   #1407
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Massachusetts Strong!
Posts: 8,466

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagirl View Post

I know it will take some time to get used to the new system and I think honestly if we could schedule all of our day with FP plus, this would be a non issue. FP+ is becoming even less of a solution as they roll out the tier levels and we have to choose which headliner we won't get to do.
That gives you equal access - lots of people are going to have to choose which headliner they will not do with the tiered FP+. Actually, it's equal lack of access, as so many people are going to be missing out on attractions when full tiering occurs.
__________________
July '13 - CBR
Mar '13 - PC Aug '12 - PC (Best Trip Ever!)
Aug '10 - PC June '08 - ASMo (school trip)
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #1408
Sunnywho
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
That gives you equal access - lots of people are going to have to choose which headliner they will not do with the tiered FP+. Actually, it's equal lack of access, as so many people are going to be missing out on attractions when full tiering occurs.
For most people, if they choose not to go standby on a headliner, that is their choice, because they were capable of doing it. The whole existence of DAS is because there are people who are not capable of this.
Sunnywho is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #1409
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnywho View Post
For most people, if they choose not to go standby on a headliner, that is their choice, because they were capable of doing it. The whole existence of DAS is because there are people who are not capable of this.
The whole existence of the DAS is so that people that can't wait in the standby line can still do the rides, just by waiting elsewhere.

A DAS doesn't, or at least shouldn't, shorten the wait.
OurBigTrip is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #1410
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran
 
clanmcculloch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,569

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
It was not busy when we were at both those attractions.
We had FP + for Spaceship Earth, but we could see the FP + went next to the regular entrance! which is nor accessible. So, we just went to the exit, which has always been the only accessible entrance. We did. It show DD's DAS card. As before, they had a clipboard for writing down the groups as they came.

We rode Small World twice with a wheelchair on this trip and had minimal waits each time (15-20 minutes posted Standby waits). We entered the wheelchair area and saw ONLY groups using mobility devices in that line.
I don't know if that was coincidence or not; previously, even with short posted waits, the wait in that line was often way longer than the wait in the regular line and half or more of the groups didn't have a mobility device.
Thanks Sue. It sounds as though having a DAS or FP+ time for those attractions doesn't actually make a difference in how long you wait but that the wait times shouldn't be nearly as long as they used to be because those without mobility needs are no longer using those lines (now using the FP+ lines). It does stink though that if the wait for the accessible entrance is really long and you show up with FP+ that you don't get put in a separate, shorter queue (ex. maybe at the top of the clipboard at SE) since that's pretty much how the regular/FP+ queues work for those without mobility issues.
__________________
Me DH DD(16) DD(14) DSD(32) DSSil (41) DGD (newborn) DSD(30) DGS(4)




Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010


February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: