Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #1156
IndianaPrincess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaPrincess View Post
I made a post to the lady who is at disneyworld and it is no longer here. Can someone help me understand what happened to my reply?
Anyone?
Old 11-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #1157
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaPrincess View Post
Anyone?
It could be a technical issue or if you didn't follow the thread rules or quoted someone who didn't, there is a possibility it was removed.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #1158
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsdisneytime View Post
pm if necessary but I really need to have this way dumbed down. In 2009 I had cancer and went through treatments, I thought I was not going to live to see another year so I took my daughter to Disney as we had been doing every year since she was born. I used a GAC for the first time ever, since it was she and I traveling alone & I was very symptomatic from my treatments I needed to be near a restroom far to frequently to stand in excessive lines ( I will not go further into it ). I am really having a hard time digesting this new system. The beauty of the GAC for me as a person with a disability with a small child was that we were able to go through the fp lanes and finish a park in about 1/2 a day and I could go back and rest at the hotel. How is it fair to those who genuinely need this pass to have to wait the wait time minus 10 min for each ride? That means they will be unable to do anything but wait in a will call line or something and you can only go one ride to the next? You cant get a couple times lined up to just knock them out and get out of the park?
Basically, those with a DAS are asked to wait just like guests without a DAS. They are able to do so more comfortably. Also, during your wait you're welcome to ride other rides, shop, eat, see shows, do whatever you'd like. Using FP+ to schedule rides ahead of time is also something to look into. You can have 1 DAS return time on the card at a time.

While it was nice to get more done in less time, that wasn't the original intent of the GAC.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #1159
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN
Guest with GKTW buttons are often moved ahead of all guests (even others with disabilities), so I would expect them to have shorter waits.
They did not move them ahead at Disney. As a matter of fact very few cm's acknowledged that they were on a wish trip. We stayed with them the entire day at the MK. They chose to not use their other two days ay Disney.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #1160
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie254 View Post
I want make sure I understand the DAS card. I got the GAC for my son, and want to know exactly how it works, for his sake. Say we go to Jungle Cruise and the wait time is 45 minutes. The CM writes on the card (current time + 45 minutes). We can go see Tiki birds, ride Aladdin's Magic Carpet and if it is now that time, we check in with the FP Cm who confirms that it is time to be used, crosses off that time and we use the FP line. If the wait is less than 15 minutes, we may/may not have to have card.
If the standby line is 45 minutes you would be given a return time of 45 min - 10 min.... So 35 min total. You can do whatever you want while you wait and you can come back at any point after 35 minutes is up.

15 minutes is kind of a toss up as to if you'll have to wait 5 minutes or not.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #1161
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToGoNow View Post
They did not move them ahead at Disney. As a matter of fact very few cm's acknowledged that they were on a wish trip. We stayed with them the entire day at the MK. They chose to not use their other two days ay Disney.
At Disney, it is the Genie lanyard that shows the attraction cm that a person is on their MAW trip.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #1162
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie254 View Post
I want make sure I understand the DAS card. I got the GAC for my son, and want to know exactly how it works, for his sake.

Say we go to Jungle Cruise and the wait time is 45 minutes. The CM writes on the card (current time + 45 minutes). We can go see Tiki birds, ride Aladdin's Magic Carpet and if it is now that time, we check in with the FP Cm who confirms that it is time to be used, crosses off that time and we use the FP line. If the wait is less than 15 minutes, we may/may not have to have card.
The Return Time you are given is based on the current wait time in the Stamdby Line for that attraction. If the Standby Time is 10 minutes or less, they will allow you to enter right away. If it is 15 minutes, they may allow you in right away or may give you a return time.
If it is more than 10 minutes, you will be issued a Return Time for 10 minutes less than the current wait.
So, for example, if the Standby wait time is currently 30 minutes, the CM will write down the current time, the current wait time and a Return Time for 20 minutes after the current time.
Current Time: 12:38
Current Wait: 30 minutes
Return Time: 12:58

DAS Return Times can be used any time after the Return Time, but you can't get another Return Time until you either use that time by going on the attraction or cancel the time by crossing it off. (An unused Return Time is considered 'active' and a guest can only have one active Return Time at a time).
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToGoNow View Post
I was responding to you mentioning that at Sea World and Universal, they never had to wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
At Disney, it is the Genie lanyard that shows the attraction cm that a person is on their MAW trip.
There was information that they would use a special Genie lanyard for guests on Wish trips.
I have not seen one yet, so don't know if they changed their plan or the lanyards were not ready/not distributed yet.
We saw one family last week with colored MAW buttons. They had the Give Kids the World logo, the family's name and the dates of the trip. They were sitting next to us at the Indiana Jones Stunt show.

With all the buttons people have at WDW for celebrating things, those MAW buttons might blend in and not be noticed as much.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 11-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #1163
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
There was information that they would use a special Genie lanyard for guests on Wish trips.
I have not seen one yet, so don't know if they changed their plan or the lanyards were not ready/not distributed yet.
We saw one family last week with colored MAW buttons. They had the Give Kids the World logo, the family's name and the dates of the trip. They were sitting next to us at the Indiana Jones Stunt show.

With all the buttons people have at WDW for celebrating things, those MAW buttons might blend in and not be noticed as much.
I saw one a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure if it comes as a lanyard or the person placed it into a lanyard. But it looked like it came that way. I wish I would have written down what it looked like at the time, because now I'm not remembering that well. And we had spend a long time with the MAW child and her mother as they asked us many questions since this was their first trip ever. If I remember correctly, it was Genie from Aladdin and his lamp.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #1164
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN
The Return Time you are given is based on the current wait time in the Stamdby Line for that attraction. If the Standby Time is 10 minutes or less, they will allow you to enter right away. If it is 15 minutes, they may allow you in right away or may give you a return time.
If it is more than 10 minutes, you will be issued a Return Time for 10 minutes less than the current wait.
So, for example, if the Standby wait time is currently 30 minutes, the CM will write down the current time, the current wait time and a Return Time for 20 minutes after the current time.
Current Time: 12:38
Current Wait: 30 minutes
Return Time: 12:58

DAS Return Times can be used any time after the Return Time, but you can't get another Return Time until you either use that time by going on the attraction or cancel the time by crossing it off. (An unused Return Time is considered 'active' and a guest can only have one active Return Time at a time).

I was responding to you mentioning that at Sea World and Universal, they never had to wait.

They had a solid purple lanyard. This was the day before the DAS rolled out.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #1165
NYDisneyKid
Expedition Everest Record Holder

Is this the longest running thread on this board? If not what is?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #1166
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDisneyKid View Post
The fall free dining is on it's fourth thread.

There is a thread on the community board that is years old. The AKL lite one I believe.

This thread is new and relatively small (probably because it actually serves a small population in relationship to the overall number of people on the Dis), however it may have a long future ahead as the system evolves over the next year or so.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #1167
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
SueMN, I was wondering if you could put the official Disney link for guests with disabilities in the first post?

I have been told that as changes are made to the system they will be updating that page and I think it might be helpful to go to for the latest information. I tried looking through the thread, but couldn't find the link. This might be good on the DL thread too. Just a thought.
Yes - I thought I had done that, but it's not in either thread. (I need to get rid of underling as formatting).
I also need to add links to the Guidebook for Cognitive Disabilities - at the time I started the thread, the guidebook was not out yet.

I will need to wait until I can use both the computer and the iPad. Right now, I am using my DD's iPad that she has as a communication device.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 11-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #1168
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDisneyKid View Post
The Wish Trippers Unite thread is on Volume Six. While the current thread has only been active since March http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3084932, the original thread began in 2007. And the Wheelchair/Accessible Rooms thread is still active from 2006!
Old 11-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #1169
ArielRae
1042 mi from WDW

Just picked up DS's DAS card today at the Guest services outside of the MK. I was able to had them a paper where I had DS's needs written down so I didn't have to say it out loud. They read the paper and told me he qualified and went thru the speal on how it works. Then he came out and took DS's picture for the card. Printed out the card and We were on our way. Hope this helps those wondering about being able to hand a letter over rather then say it out loud incase the person needing the card is sensitive to that.
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2006
Pop Century - 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009(Pregnant), 2013(Solo), 2104(Mother & Son Trip)
Fort Wilderness - 2012(Tent Camping), 2013(DS's 1st Trip), 2013
Disney's Wonder - 2006
Disney's Dream - 2011
Disney's Fantasy - 2012(Thanksgiving Cruise)

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: