Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 05:26 AM   #1066
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

We had an ECV and a DAS. I actually rode dd's ECV to get the return times because it was faster and saved my tired feet while she rested or browsed a shop. The only problem we had with the battery was the first night when the battery dropped from full to almost nothing and it was having trouble getting on the bus. We called the company and they replaced it the following morning. Never saw anything lower than green again and several of our days lasted past midnight. We even forgot to plug it up one night. I only saw one person charging and that was outside of the Garden Grill restaurant. I'm thinking some ECVs need new batteries if they die that quickly.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #1067
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

I have seen ECV folks have rented with sunshades on the top. Given the new return time system I thought this would be a good idea for me as I get terrible sun stroke issues and my skin is sensitive to the sun.

Do you add them on with the ECV for those that have done this or are they your own you have purchased and brought with you? The scooter company I rented from I didn't see them as an option. Thanks!
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #1068
Sunnywho
DIS Veteran

Back when it was an SAP, telling Guest Services that you had lupus got you an automatic SAP, no further questions asked. Obviously that was ripe for abuse and a lot more people started showing up with it, and they changed the program from having to mention your condition to having to state your accommodation needs. But now it seems as if it's easier to ask for a DAS for other conditions than it is for lupus. The more complex a disability, the harder it is to explain how it impacts you in line. Anyway, having two disabilities in a family makes touring harder too. You can always ask for a DAS and have it as back-up.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #1069
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

With my nephew who has ADHD if we kept him mentally busy it helped a lot. So we did a hidden Mickey contest. He carried a small note pad and would keep track of how many hidden mickeys every one found. At the end of the day who ever found the most was the winner and got to choose the first ride/show etc the next day. It got competitive so we had to limit the spotting to in lines so we could walk around safely.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #1070
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie09 View Post
With my nephew who has ADHD if we kept him mentally busy it helped a lot. So we did a hidden Mickey contest. He carried a small note pad and would keep track of how many hidden mickeys every one found. At the end of the day who ever found the most was the winner and got to choose the first ride/show etc the next day. It got competitive so we had to limit the spotting to in lines so we could walk around safely.
I love that. I bet it was one of his happiest memories!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #1071
maestro
Earning My Ears

Please could someone explain to me how entry to the accessible entrance now works with the gas at dw? My husband has complex issues, and we previously had GAC for alternate entrance. I am sure we will be able to adjust to the new system, but how does it work at big thunder and splash for example where the FP line is not appropriate, and the disability is not always obvious? Please don't suggest a WC or ECV as neither of these are appropriate to his needs, thanks
Old 10-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #1072
samnbilly
Loves the GF and the Castle.All nurses go to heaven. Has a shoe obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToGoNow View Post
We had an ECV and a DAS. I actually rode dd's ECV to get the return times because it was faster and saved my tired feet while she rested or browsed a shop. The only problem we had with the battery was the first night when the battery dropped from full to almost nothing and it was having trouble getting on the bus. We called the company and they replaced it the following morning. Never saw anything lower than green again and several of our days lasted past midnight. We even forgot to plug it up one night. I only saw one person charging and that was outside of the Garden Grill restaurant. I'm thinking some ECVs need new batteries if they die that quickly.
Curious as to which company u used? I had the same issue, but they corrected it quickly
Oct.04-GF-S.L./BC-concierge
Aug. 05-BC/ AKL
Oct. 06- off site
Oct. 08-BC
Oct. 13 BWI CL

Old 10-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #1073
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
I have seen ECV folks have rented with sunshades on the top. Given the new return time system I thought this would be a good idea for me as I get terrible sun stroke issues and my skin is sensitive to the sun. Do you add them on with the ECV for those that have done this or are they your own you have purchased and brought with you? The scooter company I rented from I didn't see them as an option. Thanks!
I saw people with the sun shades on my last trip and most of their scooters had signs from Buena Vista rentals. I'm definitely going to look into that on my next trip, I don't do well in the sun either.

(Exact trip dates a work-in-progress!)
Old 10-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #1074
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
Please could someone explain to me how entry to the accessible entrance now works with the gas at dw? My husband has complex issues, and we previously had GAC for alternate entrance. I am sure we will be able to adjust to the new system, but how does it work at big thunder and splash for example where the FP line is not appropriate, and the disability is not always obvious? Please don't suggest a WC or ECV as neither of these are appropriate to his needs, thanks
If you have not checked post 1 of this thread, that is a good place to start since it does cover most of the FAQs.

As far as requesting a DAS, he will need to explain his needs related to editing in line at guest a Relations.

Fastpass entrances are being used as the DAS entry for attractions, including Splash Mountain. That attraction is accessible thru the regular and Fastpass lines up to the stairs.

WDW really has very few alternate entries - in most cases they exist because the regular line is not accessible. That is the case for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.
As far as I know, guests with DAS cards who do NOT have a mobility device are during the Fastpass line for that attraction. guests with mobility devices or visible mobility needs (crutches, cane, etc) are the ones being sent to the alternate entry there.
The BTMRR Fastpass and regular queues are accessible. The reasons guests with mobility devices can't use them is because there is a vet steep ramp in the line and boarding is on one side of the track, with exit at the other side so there would be no way to get the mobility device over the track.

If he feels he can't use the Fastpass line for return, he would need to discuss that at every attraction and be aware that there may be no options other then the Fastpass return line.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #1075
mkymouse40
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutMickey View Post
I noticed that there was an update to Post#1. Maybe it's my vision issues but I can't tell what's been changed. Can someone fill me in?
I noticed the same thing.

Sue, the Moderator, could you please highlight the new information for us in Post #1 so that it stands out as new information. Thank you.

Nancy

Old 10-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #1076
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnhaze View Post
I saw people with the sun shades on my last trip and most of their scooters had signs from Buena Vista rentals. I'm definitely going to look into that on my next trip, I don't do well in the sun either.
thanks I will check them out!
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 10-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #1077
Rowanonfire
Mouseketeer

I wasn't aware the FP line for BTMMR wasn't accessible if you're using a mobility device? Guess seeing as I have a chair it would be pointless me booking a FP+ for it then haha?
Old 10-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #1078
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkymouse40 View Post
I noticed the same thing.

Sue, the Moderator, could you please highlight the new information for us in Post #1 so that it stands out as new information. Thank you.
I tried doing that, but it's hard to do without 2 computers to view it on.

When I am in edit mode, I see all the HTML coding, that start and stop coding different things into lists, color, size, bold
It gets very confusing trying to add something else to designate new information (and then edit it out again when the next new stuff is added).
And, sometimes I am editing a word or 2 out because something is no longer a rumor.

I can tell you the changes I remember had to do with 6 guests on the DAS card.
It is confirmed they will be able to do more than 6, but it requires a supervisor to do more than 6 and all members of the party need to be present when requesting the DAS for a quantity over 6

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #1079
madaboutMickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
I tried doing that, but it's hard to do without 2 computers to view it on.

When I am in edit mode, I see all the HTML coding, that start and stop coding different things into lists, color, size, bold
It gets very confusing trying to add something else to designate new information (and then edit it out again when the next new stuff is added).
And, sometimes I am editing a word or 2 out because something is no longer a rumor.

I can tell you the changes I remember had to do with 6 guests on the DAS card.
It is confirmed they will be able to do more than 6, but it requires a supervisor to do more than 6 and all members of the party need to be present when requesting the DAS for a quantity over 6
t€hanks so much, Sue, for clearing that up for me. Certainly don't mean to cause you more work. Really appreciate every thing you do here!
Old 10-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #1080
samnbilly
Loves the GF and the Castle.All nurses go to heaven. Has a shoe obsession

Quick update:

DAS from MK was quick, informative and helpful.
I discussed my needs only:
Difficult to wait in lines @ certain times due to need for medication administration (pain pump I told her, but prob no need?) at certain times, which would force me to leave the stand by line & unable to ride with family.
She explained all rules & it only took about 5-10 min

Scooter: had a bit of a problem. Battery went dead. Called company & they met me @ MK in approx 40 min.

Otherwise, ppl are extremely helpful, except for rude ppl who jump in front of scooter to get in front of you. (Sorry, off topic)
Oct.04-GF-S.L./BC-concierge
Aug. 05-BC/ AKL
Oct. 06- off site
Oct. 08-BC
Oct. 13 BWI CL

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: