Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #931
TreeSapp
That weird guest in line who'll talk to anyone.

Thank you
Old 10-25-2013, 12:35 AM   #932
curemyreed
DIS Veteran

Arrow Interesting note about this thread....

SueM started this thread just 27 days ago and there have been over 128,000 views. Wow! That is a lot of interest.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2013, 07:59 AM   #933
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapp View Post
Has anyone got a DAS in hand and a ruler (or ruler app for smartphone)? I'd love to know the exact dimensions of the card (yes I'm aware 1st post says roughly 5x7.)

But im making a Mickey-pattern duct tape wallet to hold our DAS (if we get one) and the KTTW cards. This way FIL won't be all freaked out that everyone is putting germs all over the cards then putting them all in our respective wallets (I.e. spreading germs). He's immunocomprised and a germaphobe on top of that :/
Ruler in hand. It is 5X7 and folds to 3 and 1/2 by 5.

There will be plenty of hands touching it.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #934
TreeSapp
That weird guest in line who'll talk to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post

Ruler in hand. It is 5X7 and folds to 3 and 1/2 by 5.

There will be plenty of hands touching it.
Yeah. I know how many folks and surfaces we come in contact with each time we've gone without adding in the DAS. And I've watched FIL eat at a restaurant and only touch the menu with one finger...

Hopefully keeping the germy little card (GLC?) away from the rest of everyone else's stuff will give him some peace of mind
Old 10-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #935
fitzpa
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylvr View Post
What an excellent idea! I am noting this for future trips.
Same here

Old 10-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #936
CEO
Mouseketeer

Kicking the tires

DAS is no GAC, but after kicking the tires of the new program last week through all four parks with my special needs son it isn't as horrendous as I feared. One tip that can't be emphasized enough -- if it hasn't here already -- is that DAS works like GAC when the park's about to close. In our case, we went to Toy Story Mania at 8:20pm when the park was set to close at 8:30pm, and even though the wait was 120 minutes (which would have resulted in a 110 minute wait on the pass) they let us go right into the Fastpass entrance.

Disney realizes that there's no point in having a family linger around a closed park waiting for a ride. Obviously there's so much you can do with that, but if you have ONE ride that you REALLY want to get on save it for near the end of the day.

Do I like the system? No. It's a setback to the truly disabled and there are at least two ways that it can be gamed by the same ethically bankrupt people that were gaming the system as abled park guests that forced the change in the first place. [/URL].

Last edited by SueM in MN; 10-26-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #937
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapp View Post
Yeah. I know how many folks and surfaces we come in contact with each time we've gone without adding in the DAS. And I've watched FIL eat at a restaurant and only touch the menu with one finger...

Hopefully keeping the germy little card (GLC?) away from the rest of everyone else's stuff will give him some peace of mind
Could someone else carry the DAS for him? Then he doesn't need to fret about exposure to whatever germs it picks up. Someone else can always go get the Return Time, though he must be present to ride, but no reason you or another in your party couldn't show the DAS so FIL doesn't actually touch it.

Enjoy your vacation!
Old 10-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #938
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post

Could someone else carry the DAS for him? Then he doesn't need to fret about exposure to whatever germs it picks up. Someone else can always go get the Return Time, though he must be present to ride, but no reason you or another in your party couldn't show the DAS so FIL doesn't actually touch it.

Enjoy your vacation!
Also to add to that, you don't need room keys(double dipping aside) and may not actually get them due to the testing so the only thing that you'll need to have touched is the DAS. The MB will be on your wrists (or looped on something) so it might be best if someone else holds the DAS for him.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
Old 10-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #939
BroganMc
It's not the age, it's the mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO View Post
DAS is no GAC, but after kicking the tires of the new program last week through all four parks with my special needs son it isn't as horrendous as I feared. One tip that can't be emphasized enough -- if it hasn't here already -- is that DAS works like GAC when the park's about to close. In our case, we went to Toy Story Mania at 8:20pm when the park was set to close at 8:30pm, and even though the wait was 120 minutes (which would have resulted in a 110 minute wait on the pass) they let us go right into the Fastpass entrance.

Disney realizes that there's no point in having a family linger around a closed park waiting for a ride. Obviously there's so much you can do with that, but if you have ONE ride that you REALLY want to get on save it for near the end of the day.

Do I like the system? No. It's a setback to the truly disabled and there are at least two ways that it can be gamed by the same ethically bankrupt people that were gaming the system as abled park guests that forced the change in the first place.
Thanks for that. I read your full review as well. Interesting to hear how TSM is evolving to apply DAS. They weren't doing that the first week DAS was implemented.

Last edited by SueM in MN; 10-26-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #940
mrzrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Do I like the system? No. It's a setback to the truly disabled and there are at least two ways that it can be gamed by the same ethically bankrupt people that were gaming the system as abled park guests that forced the change in the first place.
I read your full review, and I was especially interested in your acknowledgement that DHS was the hardest park to manage with DAS. We had a similar experience.

Last edited by SueM in MN; 10-26-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #941
Guano Joe
Earning My Ears

Quote:
?...and there are at least two ways that it can be gamed by the same ethically bankrupt people that were gaming the system as abled park guests that forced the change in the first place.
I don't recall that Disney ever claimed that DAS is foolproof. The biggest abusers of the old GAC were, sadly, family members of legitimate card holders. In a typical scenario a family would get a GAC for Grandpa, and the grand kids would then use it as an instant Fast Pass for the rest of the day while running through the parks from ride to ride without Grandpa. That abuse has been stopped.

And it is now much more difficult for an able-bodied individual to simply lie about a hidden non-mobility disability. The Guest Relations CMs are asking hard questions and no longer have to give in to apparent falsehoods.

As for the news reports of disabled persons hiring themselves out to get a GAC, I suspect that such occurrences were extremely rare, if they happened at all.

Finally, is it likely that a CM will know the initials of the others working at the attraction that day? Yes, it is. I'm a CM at Animal Kingdom, and I always know who I am working with. There are also backup measures ready to be put in place, such as colored inks and code words that can be used instead of initials.

Cheaters beware. Expulsion from the parks is now a very real possibility.

Last edited by SueM in MN; 10-26-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #942
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to pop in and give an update. We just left the World this morning after five days with the new DAS. Got it to help with my bathroom issues due to Crohn's Disease. Went to GR in Epcot and received the card without hassle. There's a learning curve for guests and CMs (one stumbling block for CMs seems to be which CM crosses out the attraction -- the one at the FP+ entrance or the CM at the inside FP+ check point.)

The card worked exactly as advertised and on an evening that was especially rough for me, my DH was able to get the return times for me and then we'd go to ride the ride together (less running around for me that way). Overall, using a combo of DAS and FP+ worked pretty well, though (admittedly) our fall trips are less ride-focused than trips during other times during the year. I'm eager to see how the new system works when we're less distracted by F&W, MNSSHP, etc.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Old 10-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #943
Objectivity
Kids make happy places happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guano Joe View Post
And it is now much more difficult for an able-bodied individual to simply lie about a hidden non-mobility disability. The Guest Relations CMs are asking hard questions and no longer have to give in to apparent falsehoods.
Can you explain this in more detail? Is it just that the questions are something that would mess up a person faking it? How does that work with kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guano Joe View Post
Finally, is it likely that a CM will know the initials of the others working at the attraction that day? Yes, it is. I'm a CM at Animal Kingdom, and I always know who I am working with. There are also backup measures ready to be put in place, such as colored inks and code words that can be used instead of initials.
I thought they were already using the code words. Even that wouldn't work though, once you know it, you could rewrite it yourself. Special inks would probably be the best way to go.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #944
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:

Do I like the system? No. It's a setback to the truly disabled and there are at least two ways that it can be gamed by the same ethically bankrupt people that were gaming the system as abled park guests that forced the change in the first place. I posted a more thorough review here.
As posted by SueM, the main reason the GAC policy has been revamped to the DAS was the sheer numbers of legitimate GAC users. The attractions were not designed to handle the number of people requesting alternate access. She even shows photos of the queues, and links to articles.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Old 10-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #945
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Forgot to add in my previous post that some people are saying that ride CMs are asking so many questions, that guests are having to share their children's condition in order to get a return time. If that's the case, then we should have been able to do that along wit the GAC which would have helped to eliminate the problem- if there really was a problem at WDW.
I can promise that if we encounter this from any CMs on our trip, I'm reporting them both to Guest Services and to the government agency dealing with the ADA.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: