Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #886
Bean786
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by memakwed View Post
I have MS
So does my FIL, and they denied him. I understand the frustration. He can't walk, so yes the wheel chair helps but it doesn't. Everybody isn't at the same level. For example,a das would be great for him because if we get a fast pass and he is asleep we lose our fastpass time. Now if we have a return time, it's ok we can come back. I know you understand where I'm coming from, they told us he can nap in line. I'm thinking to myself these aren't naps, he doesn't decide to go to sleep, or us being able to say 'hey in 30 mins you can sleep' it's just part of the disease. I would focus on not saying anything about getting tired and describe other ways you need help.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #887
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzrich View Post
By the time we made our way back to TSM it was about 10:30. The wait was 110 minutes. Our return time was 1205.
You got your DAS at 10:30, and it would get you in to TSM at 12:05. During that 90 minutes, you pulled a FP for Star Tours that was valid in 30 minutes. You then attempted another attraction that had a 25 minute wait. Because the queue was too stressful for your son, you had to pull him out.

The solution to this would be to cancel the DAS for TSM at that time, and get one for the 25 minute queue? That would give you a 15 minute wait, then access to the attraction without the waiting in the queue. After that attraction is done, the DAS can get another wait time for TSM. Then you could ride Star Tours with your FPs.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #888
Michigan
Mom of the Rolling Crew

Location: Westland, MI in the summer Clermont, FL in the Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
ECV question. On rides like Kilimanjaro Safari does one have to get a return time to get in line with the ECV?
One would hope not since you go all the way to being next to board when they send you over to the wheelchair section where we have waited almost an additional 2 hours for a wheelchair accessible vehicle
Old 10-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #889
mrzrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
You got your DAS at 10:30, and it would get you in to TSM at 12:05. During that 90 minutes, you pulled a FP for Star Tours that was valid in 30 minutes. You then attempted another attraction that had a 25 minute wait. Because the queue was too stressful for your son, you had to pull him out. The solution to this would be to cancel the DAS for TSM at that time, and get one for the 25 minute queue? That would give you a 15 minute wait, then access to the attraction without the waiting in the queue. After that attraction is done, the DAS can get another wait time for TSM. Then you could ride Star Tours with your FPs.
Why would I want to start waiting for TSM all over again? We were killing time to get to TSM, canceling the TSM return time would have made that wait even longer. Plus it would have been more back tracking to go back to TSM for another return time.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #890
inkedupmomma
If you live to be a 100, I hope to live to be 100 minus 1 day. So I never have to live without you.

I do not have a disability, but have and will be traveling with a friend who does, and plan on taking my special needs nephew (mild mental retardation) in a couple of years and all I can say is that I am So sorry for those of you that have to deal with this.

While I agree the old GAC was abused, it is ridiculous some of the hoops people need to jump through now for a shot an equally fun time. I'm grateful that Disney offers anything at all, but this new system seems so flawed.

I'll be keeping a close eye on how things progress. best of luck to you all, and I hope you have a great time despite this new frustration!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #891
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
You got your DAS at 10:30, and it would get you in to TSM at 12:05. During that 90 minutes, you pulled a FP for Star Tours that was valid in 30 minutes. You then attempted another attraction that had a 25 minute wait. Because the queue was too stressful for your son, you had to pull him out.

The solution to this would be to cancel the DAS for TSM at that time, and get one for the 25 minute queue? That would give you a 15 minute wait, then access to the attraction without the waiting in the queue. After that attraction is done, the DAS can get another wait time for TSM. Then you could ride Star Tours with your FPs.
One bad thing about this system (the DAS) is how much running around you have to do. Get the time, go across the park, go back, go back the other way. I would think that going back to TSM to get a new time and then back to Star Tours would just be more walking back and forth.

That's one thing I really worry about - I have no idea how I am going to entertain my son while waiting for the ride times (especially after he has asked for the ride, and he cannot be distracted by anything at all) and I just can't go back and forth across the parks over and over again.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #892
Sunnywho
DIS Veteran

It's troubling that MS is getting lumped in with strictly mobility issues such as a broken ankle, where a wheelchair would suffice. "He can nap in line"??? He's not a toddler in a stroller who you can wake up when you reach the front of the line. The right thing is to let him recuperate until he is ready to go again, not wake him up at the end of the line. The fatigue in MS is neurological.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #893
Bean786
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnywho View Post
It's troubling that MS is getting lumped in with strictly mobility issues such as a broken ankle, where a wheelchair would suffice. "He can nap in line"??? He's not a toddler in a stroller who you can wake up when you reach the front of the line. The right thing is to let him recuperate until he is ready to go again, not wake him up at the end of the line. The fatigue in MS is neurological.
Exactly and they don't get that. When's he's asleep.. He's asleep. Sometimes no waking him and if we do he can be super confused and not know where he is at. It's a big old fail.

Last edited by Bean786; 10-23-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #894
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean786 View Post
Exactly and they don't get that. When's he's asleep.. He's asleep. Sometimes no waking him and if we do he can be super confused and not know where he is at. It's a big old fail.
I'm confused. If he needs to sleep why wouldn't he go back to the resort or first aide while the rest of you use regular SB line or get FP with your tickets? And because he is sleeping you can't enter the DAS return line anyway as the person with the das is supposed to be with you and riding.

I don't get how the das would help him?

Old 10-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #895
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
One would hope not since you go all the way to being next to board when they send you over to the wheelchair section where we have waited almost an additional 2 hours for a wheelchair accessible vehicle
Well she would just skip the ride rather than take a car someone else needed
Old 10-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #896
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six View Post
That's one thing I really worry about - I have no idea how I am going to entertain my son while waiting for the ride times (especially after he has asked for the ride, and he cannot be distracted by anything at all) and I just can't go back and forth across the parks over and over again.
Would your son like Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom? That covers all but Tomorrowland. There is also a newer Pirate adventure game in Adventureland. AK has the Wilderness Explorers spread through out the park. Epcot has the Agent P thing in World Showcase and all those games after attractions in Future World. These were big hits with my son. He begs to do those things. He can't wait for cooler weather so he can play the outdoor ones longer.

Would a social story help to prepare him? Will you have an extra person with you who can get the wait times while you are doing something else with him? DAS is so much more work for the caregiver.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #897
Bean786
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
I'm confused. If he needs to sleep why wouldn't he go back to the resort or first aide while the rest of you use regular SB line or get FP with your tickets? And because he is sleeping you can't enter the DAS return line anyway as the person with the das is supposed to be with you and riding. I don't get how the das would help him?
We'll for us we live here, so no going back home. Also we don't know when he's going to sleep. It's 1 minute he's up and talking and the next he's not. Yes sometimes we can tell it's coming but sometimes it's not like that. If we get a fastpass and he falls asleep, we could miss our time. ( also wasting 3 fps somebody else could use) And it's not like a child sleeping, and we can just wake him up. After he's up, he'll probably be ok for a half hour to 3 hours. So while he was 'napping' we could do things like see and show ( where he would be ok to stay asleep.) Or get lunch or meet a greets. Then once feeling better enter the ride. It's a hit or miss. Sometimes it's a power nap (20 mins) others it might be 2 hours. We don't know. That's why stand by and fastpasses don't work for him. Then factor the additional wait time for the wheelchair rides because he can't transfer and it just doesn't work. Also who said we would ride the ride with his das? Nobody. Even if we could (which I know we cant) We want to ride together. I'm just saying, ms is over looked, IMO and a lot of people who have it, had a gac before and are now being denied. That's all I'm saying

Last edited by Bean786; 10-23-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #898
Sunnywho
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
I'm confused. If he needs to sleep why wouldn't he go back to the resort or first aide while the rest of you use regular SB line or get FP with your tickets? And because he is sleeping you can't enter the DAS return line anyway as the person with the das is supposed to be with you and riding.

I don't get how the das would help him?
It sounds as if he is falling asleep in his wheelchair unexpectedly. At that point it would disturb him to go to first aid and try to transfer him to a bed. With MS, the fatigue can be sudden and unexplainable (out of proportion to whatever activities or amount of sleep the night before).

There are so many different ways in which MS impacts a person that it is difficult to narrow down and express the appropriate need. The onus should be on the guest to explain the needs, but I think MS is confusing guests and cast members, because there is often a mobility issue and invisible issues.

I would encourage anyone with MS to write to Disney to explain how DAS did or didn't work for them, including if they were denied access. I'll plan to do this after our trip.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #899
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnywho View Post
People forget that there are different forms of MS. My son in law has the progressive form. He is severely disabled and uses a power chair, but the MS has also affected his brain. He becomes very impatient and agitated if he has to wait for anything. Although I have no experience with Autism, his symptoms don't seem all that different. We are planning on taking him to WDW in May and I worry that he will not be given the DAS. Hopefully, by then, they will have worked out the problems.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #900
Michigan
Mom of the Rolling Crew

Location: Westland, MI in the summer Clermont, FL in the Winter

Deleted my post

Last edited by Michigan; 10-23-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: