Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #856
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaA View Post
Agreed. I've seen it stated multiple times that part of the reason to get rid of the GAC was because there were "too many stamps" and the CMs weren't consistent in how they handled things.

Well, now we are seeing all over the place that the CMs are even LESS consistent than they once were. I don't understand how anyone thought that this change would make the CMs' jobs easier or more straightforward. The very SECOND they decided that the DAS was only going to be for people who couldn't wait in line was the same second they condemned everyone else to days of explaining themselves and never getting the same help twice.

The multiple stamps were a GOOD thing. They are what told the CMs what they needed to do. Now it seems like they're basically pulling the answers from thin air. I really don't see how this can be a training issue or due to the newness of the system, because certainly those same CMs had dealt with people who had vision impairment, hearing loss, etc., in the past, and they knew what to do with them at that point. The accommodations for those people HAS NOT CHANGED, only the fact that they are no longer carrying a card to get it.

Hopefully Disney will grab a clue somewhere and either start giving out different types of DAS cards or posting the "rules" at each attraction so that both the public and the workers can see them.
I've read in several places that this is not the reason for the GAC elimination. It was because Disney was worried that GACs would interfere with FP+. It cracks me up because 1 article stated that GAC non abusers were the reason for the change and a lot of the pro change people have jumped all over it. Conversations with with a few CMs "convinced" the author that use and not abuse was the answer. Good research
Old 10-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #857
PlainJane
It was wonderful both times
I only throw pillows

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaA View Post
Agreed. I've seen it stated multiple times that part of the reason to get rid of the GAC was because there were "too many stamps" and the CMs weren't consistent in how they handled things.

Well, now we are seeing all over the place that the CMs are even LESS consistent than they once were. I don't understand how anyone thought that this change would make the CMs' jobs easier or more straightforward. The very SECOND they decided that the DAS was only going to be for people who couldn't wait in line was the same second they condemned everyone else to days of explaining themselves and never getting the same help twice.

The multiple stamps were a GOOD thing. They are what told the CMs what they needed to do. Now it seems like they're basically pulling the answers from thin air. I really don't see how this can be a training issue or due to the newness of the system, because certainly those same CMs had dealt with people who had vision impairment, hearing loss, etc., in the past, and they knew what to do with them at that point. The accommodations for those people HAS NOT CHANGED, only the fact that they are no longer carrying a card to get it.

Hopefully Disney will grab a clue somewhere and either start giving out different types of DAS cards or posting the "rules" at each attraction so that both the public and the workers can see them.
It is odd that when there was a card CMs were trained on how to react if a visually impaired person needed assistance, and now they suddenly don't know. I guess, the card had a stamp for each individual accommodation? Was there a low lighting symbol, a close seating symbol, etc?

It is frustrating the card was so much more than the alternate entrance stamp, but that seems to be the only stamp that's being addressed anymore, at least formally.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #858
PlainJane
It was wonderful both times
I only throw pillows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Objectivity View Post
That's what we will do. The "complaint" is that Disney now requires someone who is visually impaired to justify themselves in exactly that manner multiple times a day. Someone with a wheelchair may need to say if thy can transfer or not, but they don't have to explain why they need a wheelchair in the first place at every ride.
Do they have you justify the need, or explain the accommodations needed? Either would be frustrating, but the first would be awful.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #859
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Closing temporarily to cool off.

Too much arguing.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #860
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Re-opening.
The reason the thread was closed was that there was arguing going on about 'which disability is worse' and 'some disabilities are treated better'.

This thread is to share information on how the DAS currently works.

If you have suggestions about how you think Disney could improve DAS, there is a thread discussing that.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #861
mrzrich
DIS Veteran

Epcot Touring Plan worked very well.

We arrived around 10. We got a 70 minute return time for Test Track. We had a snack, went to the restroom and rode Mission Space while waiting. After riding Test Track we headed over towards Soarin, stopping at Club Cool along the way.

I ran into the land for a Soarin return time. We had an 80 minute wait. While in the Land Building, I grabbed a FP for Living with the Land. DH waited outside the building with the kids. When I got back to them we rode Figment. Then we all headed to the Land where we ate lunch, rode Living with the Land and Soarin.

We squeezed a lot into 4 hours and were beat. As we approached the exit DS wanted to ride Space Ship Earth which had a 10 minute wait. The CM saw the DAS and directed us to the FP+ line.

It was a really good touring plan. DS had no interest in Nemo this time around, but we certainly could have fit that into our plan as well.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #862
alizesmom
Pumba is my hero but I love Donald

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzrich View Post
Epcot Touring Plan worked very well. We arrived around 10. We got a 70 minute return time for Test Track. We had a snack, went to the restroom and rode Mission Space while waiting. After riding Test Track we headed over towards Soarin, stopping at Club Cool along the way. I ran into the land for a Soarin return time. We had an 80 minute wait. While in the Land Building, I grabbed a FP for Living with the Land. DH waited outside the building with the kids. When I got back to them we rode Figment. Then we all headed to the Land where we ate lunch, rode Living with the Land and Soarin. We squeezed a lot into 4 hours and were beat. As we approached the exit DS wanted to ride Space Ship Earth which had a 10 minute wait. The CM saw the DAS and directed us to the FP+ line. It was a really good touring plan. DS had no interest in Nemo this time around, but we certainly could have fit that into our plan as well.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #863
mrzrich
DIS Veteran

DHS...was the toughest park for the DAS.

We tried to get to rope drop, but it just wasn't meant to be. DS was up a 2 AM pacing and then fell back to sleep at 5. He woke again at 8, after eating breakfast, and some poor bus timing we got to DHS at around 930. By the time we got through bag check and the turnstiles, all the TSM FP we gone. Return time was 110 minutes. DH and my other DS wanted to ride TOT. My Autistic son wouldn't even go down that street due to fear of TOT.

I took him over to Star Wars side and grabbed FP for the whole family.

Now I have a return time 90 minutes away, a FP 30 minutes away, and a DS who is looking at TGMR which has a 25 minute wait, winding around outside the building. If it had been a 25 minute at a ride with less of a tight line he would have been ok. In this case he just wasn't. He started jumping and flapping. I had to pull him out of the line before he bumped people.

Here is were I'll admit a "poor me" moment. It was hot. He was flapping and jumping and upset about TGMR. I called DH, he was stuck in line for TOT which was posted as 30 minutes when he got into it but turned out to be 60 minutes. I started to cry. I collected myself and headed to first aid to get DS into a cool quiet room and a drink of water.

On our way out of first aide I stopped at Guest Services to give some feedback. While we were able to plan well for DAS touring in every other park, DHS just wasn't conducive to it. The family in front of me at GS was screaming at the CM because their son had a broken leg and couldn't stand in line. I felt really bad for the CM. She explained to them that they needed to rent a wheelchair. They got really nasty with her.

When it was my turn, I stayed, calm, spoke softly and never turned into "Grizzly Mom". The CM listened to my concerns, filled out some paper work, and gave me a few FP so DS could ride TGMR. I didn't ask for the FP, but the CM was very helpful.

I really think that I may wait until I am FP + eligible before I return to DHS.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #864
curemyreed
DIS Veteran

To Mrzrich: Thank you for posting your successful and unsuccessful touring at Epcot and HS. It helps me envision what may or may not work for my family. I am sending you this because I have found myself in tears dealing with my DD's challenges and so I think I know what that was like for you. I would like to make a suggestion. I know the CM at GS in HS was understanding when you shared how the DAS did not work well for your son. I am not sure that those on-site reports make it "upstairs". If you can manage to, I think it would be a good idea to email or write Disney when you get home so that you can relate these things to someone who may be in a position to consider whether the problem is widespread enough to require further consideration. I just learned on another thread how wheelchairs users are sometimes waiting much longer than the standby time even though the are using the DAS system correctly. I hope folks are emailing & writing to make sure Disney is aware. I am afraid in-park CM's have their hands full and may not be able to fully pass along customer complaints.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:08 AM   #865
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We tried to get to rope drop, but it just wasn't meant to be. DS was up a 2 AM pacing and then fell back to sleep at 5. He woke again at 8, after eating breakfast, and some poor bus timing we got to DHS at around 930. By the time we got through bag check and the turnstiles, all the TSM FP we gone. Return time was 110 minutes. DH and my other DS wanted to ride TOT. My Autistic son wouldn't even go down that street due to fear of TOT.

Now I have a return time 90 minutes away, a FP 30 minutes away, and a DS who is looking at TGMR which has a 25 minute wait, winding around outside the building. If it had been a 25 minute at a ride with less of a tight line he would have been ok. In this case he just wasn't. He started jumping and flapping. I had to pull him out of the line before he bumped people.

Here is were I'll admit a "poor me" moment. It was hot. He was flapping and jumping and upset about TGMR. I called DH, he was stuck in line for TOT which was posted as 30 minutes when he got into it but turned out to be 60 minutes. I started to cry. I collected myself and headed to first aid to get DS into a cool quiet room and a drink of water.

On our way out of first aide I stopped at Guest Services to give some feedback. While we were able to plan well for DAS touring in every other park, DHS just wasn't conducive to it. The family in front of me at GS was screaming at the CM because their son had a broken leg and couldn't stand in line. I felt really bad for the CM. She explained to them that they needed to rent a wheelchair. They got really nasty with her.

When it was my turn, I stayed, calm, spoke softly and never turned into "Grizzly Mom". The CM listened to my concerns, filled out some paper work, and gave me a few FP so DS could ride TGMR. I didn't ask for the FP, but the CM was very helpful.

I would imagine that after the last person, you coming in and being polite may have gotten you even more assistance than you would normally have gotten. I know if I were in the CM's position, I would probably do something like that. Bottom line is you always catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:58 AM   #866
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:

I'm trying to figure out how getting to DHS late in the morning is related to any issues with the DAS? Which attraction did you have the DAS return time for?
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Old 10-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #867
mrzrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
I'm trying to figure out how getting to DHS late in the morning is related to any issues with the DAS? Which attraction did you have the DAS return time for?
By the time we made our way back to TSM it was about 10:30. The wait was 110 minutes. Our return time was 1205.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #868
ArielRae
1042 mi from WDW

Been reading about the new updates about the KTTWK. So question about the fact they are not going to be giving out KTTWK anymore to resort guest and the cards they do give out can not be used in the FP kiosks. As I understand it they encourage DAS card users to also use both FP systems in addition to the DAS card to help with their touring. Anyone know what we can do so we can still get a KTTWK that can be used in the FP machines still or are we moving to not using the FP machines for the DAS card also?
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2006
Pop Century - 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009(Pregnant), 2013(Solo), 2104(Mother & Son Trip)
Fort Wilderness - 2012(Tent Camping), 2013(DS's 1st Trip), 2013
Disney's Wonder - 2006
Disney's Dream - 2011
Disney's Fantasy - 2012(Thanksgiving Cruise)

Old 10-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #869
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Sue, I'm sorry I didn't get better pictures. Will try for better ones tonight.

I was trying to get a picture of the FP+ queue, stand by queue AND the little podium. Here is where you go to get the DAS time written and to return. Most of the queues are set up this way with a podium between the two lines.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #870
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielRae View Post
Been reading about the new updates about the KTTWK. So question about the fact they are not going to be giving out KTTWK anymore to resort guest and the cards they do give out can not be used in the FP kiosks. As I understand it they encourage DAS card users to also use both FP systems in addition to the DAS card to help with their touring. Anyone know what we can do so we can still get a KTTWK that can be used in the FP machines still or are we moving to not using the FP machines for the DAS card also?
From what I've heard, Disney hasn't released any official information about what will happen.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: