Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #766
disney david
DIS Veteran
 
disney david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hartsdale, ny
Posts: 3,447

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4praise View Post
I am planning my families first trip to Dinsey World for this time next year. I am a single mom and will be traveling with my DS-18 PTSD, ODD, ADHD (has learned many coping tools and is donig very well), DD-17 Bipolar 2 (new diagnosis and we're still working out the kinks), DS-14 my 'normal' kid (family joke), and DS-6 ADHD, ODD, and GAD (dignosed a few months ago, but have been working with him for longer, he's a lot like the oldest)

Now knowing whose on my team, I have a question about our trip. I am planning on getting a stroller for my DS6, he's a runner when he looses it and waiting for long periods not moving can set him into whirlwind.

With the new DAS system, would I be able to request a card? I have no problem waiting the time that the attraction states, I just don't think he will handle the being still part if its more than 30 minutes. We could walk around, do a shorter lined attraction, get a snack, etc.

Just wondering if I am understanding the new system correctly. This trip is a big step for me, as it's just me and the crew.
You can still get the stroller as a wheelchair tag if that helps.
__________________
www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline  
Old 10-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #767
cmwade77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,833

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
Maybe I've just missed it in this thread, but I haven't seen anybody mention how shows like Laugh Floor and Philharmagic are being handled for those with crowd issues. A DAS will do nothing for us since we make sure to arrive at these shows when we'll get into the next show or maybe the one after at the longest even without a DAS. It's not about how long we wait. My DD can't wait in the mob waiting areas where everybody is constantly told by CMs to push forward and crowd together and you have to be in this crowd even if you arrive only a few minutes before the show. Has anybody heard anything yet about what if anything is done for people in this situation?
I know both have a section for those with wheelchairs, etc. to wait in that is seperated by a rope. According to the official rules, you shouldn't need a DAS to use this area, you should simply be able to ask to wait there.
cmwade77 is online now  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #768
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran
 
clanmcculloch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,565

I haven't seen anything official or unofficial about people without mobility devices using the waiting areas intended for wheelchairs. Where are you seeing this? It would be great if we just had to ask when we get inside. Has anybody heard that this is what's actually happening?
__________________
Me DH DD(16) DD(13) DSD(32) DSSil (40) DSD(30) DGS(4)


Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010


February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline  
Old 10-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #769
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?
 
buffettgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: GreatWoods parking lot.
Posts: 3,107

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4praise View Post
I am planning my families first trip to Dinsey World for this time next year. I am a single mom and will be traveling with my DS-18 PTSD, ODD, ADHD (has learned many coping tools and is donig very well), DD-17 Bipolar 2 (new diagnosis and we're still working out the kinks), DS-14 my 'normal' kid (family joke), and DS-6 ADHD, ODD, and GAD (dignosed a few months ago, but have been working with him for longer, he's a lot like the oldest)

Now knowing whose on my team, I have a question about our trip. I am planning on getting a stroller for my DS6, he's a runner when he looses it and waiting for long periods not moving can set him into whirlwind.

With the new DAS system, would I be able to request a card? I have no problem waiting the time that the attraction states, I just don't think he will handle the being still part if its more than 30 minutes. We could walk around, do a shorter lined attraction, get a snack, etc.

Just wondering if I am understanding the new system correctly. This trip is a big step for me, as it's just me and the crew.
David mentioned the stroller as a wheelchair tag, and absolutely get that, but beyond that, if your youngest was in his stroller throughout the lines, would he manage the slow moving wait? Would the others be able to stand in the line with you without issue while waiting as well? If so, then you may not need a return time DAS.

If, the others have trouble being confined for a longer period in the line, and the youngest needs to keep moving, then a return time DAS seems reasonable. You would be able to do whatever you want during the wait time, just as you suggested. Move around, go on shorter lined rides, etc. That's precisely what it's intended to do. It allows you to control the wait for a ride in a way that works for your family.

I would definitely make sure you've got a handle on how to explain your needs, vs the behaviors that your child exhibits. "My child runs and my child gets antsy when waiting" is not the same as saying, "My child needs to be confined to his stroller for his safety, and my child needs to be able to wait for a ride outside of the line, where we can walk around and keep him occupied." The first tells the CM the behaviors . They may not understand the need that goes with those behaviors. The second version takes guesswork out of the equation and specifically tells them what you need.
__________________
off site: Feb 1978
FW: July 1981, July 1983, July 1985
CBR: Oct 1988, Sept 1990, Sept 1991, July 1997
CR: July/Aug 2003
CSR: July 2009 (split SOG)
SOG: Dec 2006, July 2009, June 2011, Aug 2012
ASMo: May 2014
buffettgirl is offline  
Old 10-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #770
mrzrich
DIS Veteran
 
mrzrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,216

Here now went to MK this AM and received the DAS with minimal questions. Anyway I have to say that we had to do a lot of back tracking.

The first wait was 20 min for Jungle Cruise. We were able to ride POTC while waiting for JC. Then back to JC.

Then we headed to Splash and BTMRR Both had 35 min waits. I made a mistake here, because I pulled a FP for BTMRR not realizing that Splash was giving out earlier FP. I got a 25 minute return time for Splash, we went to Tom Sawyer Island. (I'd never been there before) We rode Splash, then we hand to putz around for a long time waiting for our BTMRR return. We decided to just eat lunch while waiting.

We walked over to HM, but DS started getting panicky, so we didn't ride.

Small world had a 15 minute wait, the CM let us right in, said he didn't see the sense of making us wait 5 minutes. Pixie Dust?

Walked over to Little Mermaid for a return time. 35 min wait, so 25 minute return, we wanted ice cream, so walked all the way around the wall to storybook treats. DH was getting cranky, his back was hurting, DS was getting tired, but really wanted to ride Buzz, so we decided not to rime Mermaid and headed to Buzz.

Just told CM at Buzz that we had decided against Mermaid, so he just crossed it off. Wait time for Buzz was 25 minutes, so we got a 15 minute return time. We road the People Mover while we waited. Then to Buzz.

That was our day. I will admit, we would have accomplished much more with the GAC because we would not have had to twiddle our thumbs looking for things to do while we waited. We would have squeezed more in before we reached our breaking point. We also ate lunch before we were truly hungry, because we had to pass the time. It is what it is. We will learn the new program and teach our son how to manage.

My take away from the day was that if you are using DAS in conjunction with FP is to check the FP return times of both rides and FP whichever ride has the earlier return time. Use the DAS for the other ride.

Oh and about FP +, it's really clogging the entrance points of each FP line. Seems that there are still many glitches, not sure if it is guest error, or actual IT issues.
__________________
mrzrich is offline  
Old 10-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #771
cmwade77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,833

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
I haven't seen anything official or unofficial about people without mobility devices using the waiting areas intended for wheelchairs. Where are you seeing this? It would be great if we just had to ask when we get inside. Has anybody heard that this is what's actually happening?
It's just what guest relations told me when I asked.
cmwade77 is online now  
Old 10-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #772
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,811

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzrich View Post
Here now went to MK this AM and received the DAS with minimal questions. Anyway I have to say that we had to do a lot of back tracking.

The first wait was 20 min for Jungle Cruise. We were able to ride POTC while waiting for JC. Then back to JC.

Then we headed to Splash and BTMRR Both had 35 min waits. I made a mistake here, because I pulled a FP for BTMRR not realizing that Splash was giving out earlier FP. I got a 25 minute return time for Splash, we went to Tom Sawyer Island. (I'd never been there before) We rode Splash, then we hand to putz around for a long time waiting for our BTMRR return. We decided to just eat lunch while waiting.

We walked over to HM, but DS started getting panicky, so we didn't ride.

Small world had a 15 minute wait, the CM let us right in, said he didn't see the sense of making us wait 5 minutes. Pixie Dust?

Walked over to Little Mermaid for a return time. 35 min wait, so 25 minute return, we wanted ice cream, so walked all the way around the wall to storybook treats. DH was getting cranky, his back was hurting, DS was getting tired, but really wanted to ride Buzz, so we decided not to rime Mermaid and headed to Buzz.

Just told CM at Buzz that we had decided against Mermaid, so he just crossed it off. Wait time for Buzz was 25 minutes, so we got a 15 minute return time. We road the People Mover while we waited. Then to Buzz.

That was our day. I will admit, we would have accomplished much more with the GAC because we would not have had to twiddle our thumbs looking for things to do while we waited. We would have squeezed more in before we reached our breaking point. We also ate lunch before we were truly hungry, because we had to pass the time. It is what it is. We will learn the new program and teach our son how to manage.

My take away from the day was that if you are using DAS in conjunction with FP is to check the FP return times of both rides and FP whichever ride has the earlier return time. Use the DAS for the other ride.

Oh and about FP +, it's really clogging the entrance points of each FP line. Seems that there are still many glitches, not sure if it is guest error, or actual IT issues.
Sounds like you got pretty much accomplished today. You're right, it's more work. And an adjustment to do things on Disney's time instead of your own, like your lunch time.

Was the clogging of FP line entrance points due to wristbands not being read right away? I know when entering the park, we saw cm suggesting guests hold their wristband a certain way so it could read it.
lovethattink is offline  
Old 10-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #773
livndisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzrich View Post
Here now went to MK this AM and received the DAS with minimal questions. Anyway I have to say that we had to do a lot of back tracking.

The first wait was 20 min for Jungle Cruise. We were able to ride POTC while waiting for JC. Then back to JC.

Then we headed to Splash and BTMRR Both had 35 min waits. I made a mistake here, because I pulled a FP for BTMRR not realizing that Splash was giving out earlier FP. I got a 25 minute return time for Splash, we went to Tom Sawyer Island. (I'd never been there before) We rode Splash, then we hand to putz around for a long time waiting for our BTMRR return. We decided to just eat lunch while waiting.

We walked over to HM, but DS started getting panicky, so we didn't ride.

Small world had a 15 minute wait, the CM let us right in, said he didn't see the sense of making us wait 5 minutes. Pixie Dust?

Walked over to Little Mermaid for a return time. 35 min wait, so 25 minute return, we wanted ice cream, so walked all the way around the wall to storybook treats. DH was getting cranky, his back was hurting, DS was getting tired, but really wanted to ride Buzz, so we decided not to rime Mermaid and headed to Buzz.

Just told CM at Buzz that we had decided against Mermaid, so he just crossed it off. Wait time for Buzz was 25 minutes, so we got a 15 minute return time. We road the People Mover while we waited. Then to Buzz.

That was our day. I will admit, we would have accomplished much more with the GAC because we would not have had to twiddle our thumbs looking for things to do while we waited. We would have squeezed more in before we reached our breaking point. We also ate lunch before we were truly hungry, because we had to pass the time. It is what it is. We will learn the new program and teach our son how to manage.

My take away from the day was that if you are using DAS in conjunction with FP is to check the FP return times of both rides and FP whichever ride has the earlier return time. Use the DAS for the other ride.

Oh and about FP +, it's really clogging the entrance points of each FP line. Seems that there are still many glitches, not sure if it is guest error, or actual IT issues.
I'm tired just reading it LOL

I do think this is a GREAT attitude "We will learn the new program and teach our son how to manage." There is a "learning curve" with this new program. It is nice to see parents trying to make it work.
livndisney is offline  
Old 10-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #774
livndisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
I haven't seen anything official or unofficial about people without mobility devices using the waiting areas intended for wheelchairs. Where are you seeing this? It would be great if we just had to ask when we get inside. Has anybody heard that this is what's actually happening?
I think it is "case by case". I have not seen anything in writing. One CM may allow you in the area and the next say no. I know GS says you should be allowed in the area, you arrive at the area and a Cm says no. I was only half joking when I told GS I needed a "note" from them to give to the Cm.
livndisney is offline  
Old 10-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #775
SKRUD
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3

Question Stamina/Mobility issues and cost

Please forgive me if this has been asked/answered before. I haven't yet figured out how to search this site as thoroughly as I'd like. Let me preface that I don't need a DASC, and never had a GAC, but it's just a curiosity about the bottom Disney Dollar.

It's my understanding that nearly everyone is now being asked to rent a wheelchair or ECV. How is that an accommodation for a disability? For annual passholders, trips to Disney are basically free (if you travel up for the day, pack a lunch, and leave at dinnertime) once you've paid for the AP. This forced rental business seems like a pocket-liner.

What about those with stamina/mobility issues who cannot, or do not want to, shell out $70 a pop?
What about those with body configuration issues, for whom a standard wheelchair would be inappropriate?
What people visiting alone or with children who could not reasonably be expected to push them? Will a CM pusher be provided?

Is this one of those "tweaks"?
SKRUD is offline  
Old 10-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #776
Bean786
DIS Veteran
 
Bean786's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 814

Question about closing a park down with a DAS. Basically a das will not work for night time. For example we had an hour left ( was going to hop to Epcot). Soaring was 90 mins and so was test track. How do they handle it then? The park closes in an hour. Our return time would be 80 mins. So do they just turn people away? We didn't go because they were the only rides we wanted to ride, but it got me thinking.
Bean786 is offline  
Old 10-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #777
Southerndisney
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 304

mrzrich I admire that you found a way to work with the system. I wish Disney would use the system I saw in another thread where the wait is after the ride. You have to wait the time of the standby line for the first ride before you can get in another fast pass line but you do not have to back track.
Southerndisney is offline  
Old 10-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #778
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!
 
keishashadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 19,593

Used the DAS on the first day in AK. Bit of a line to get it issued but CM encountered was very respectful and explained everything thoroughly. fyi i'm not going to address why my party required the card but the first post is very clear as to the procedure, just thought i'd post my experience since I was rather anxious.

stayed onsite, card was issued for 14 days, perhaps due to being PAP holder, not sure.

Was told to bring the card back next trip and they would scan the QR code and re-issue another as long as nothing had changed as to needs or Disney's tweaking of the system. It was stressed this version is a work in progress and those participating in it are part of the testing process just as with the magic bands.

Yes, there is a def learning curve as to scheduling FP returns. Glad we didn't have to juggle the magic band too this trip. Change is always hard (at least for me it is ) but the DAS is a welcome accommodation as a tool that can be used to help enjoy the parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
I was told that if your child has a DAS card that DAS return times, FP return times, and FP+ return times would be honored even if you go back past your return time. This is to account for children who suddenly melt down and you physically can't get back at your return time or return window. Anyone heard this also? Someone I know was told this by a GS CM.
We had a return time that would coincide with a show we wanted to see and were told to return anytime after the stated time. However, you cannot have more than one return time 'open' i.e. can't get another without using or forfeiting the existing one.

The only issue we ran into was some of the CMs weren't filling in the card correctly and a supervisor had to be summoned a few times before we were granted access to the FP line.

yes, based upon my observations the magic bands do seem to be holding up 'the show' in the FP lane. Hopefully, it's a matter of guests learning how to position them.
__________________
Will trade 'nanners taken in trade by the Tag Fairy for your tag for tags!


Last edited by keishashadow; 10-18-2013 at 09:19 PM.
keishashadow is offline  
Old 10-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #779
Badamon
Mouseketeer
 
Badamon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzrich View Post
Here now went to MK this AM and received the DAS with minimal questions. Anyway I have to say that we had to do a lot of back tracking.

The first wait was 20 min for Jungle Cruise. We were able to ride POTC while waiting for JC. Then back to JC.

Then we headed to Splash and BTMRR Both had 35 min waits. I made a mistake here, because I pulled a FP for BTMRR not realizing that Splash was giving out earlier FP. I got a 25 minute return time for Splash, we went to Tom Sawyer Island. (I'd never been there before) We rode Splash, then we hand to putz around for a long time waiting for our BTMRR return. We decided to just eat lunch while waiting.

We walked over to HM, but DS started getting panicky, so we didn't ride.

Small world had a 15 minute wait, the CM let us right in, said he didn't see the sense of making us wait 5 minutes. Pixie Dust?

Walked over to Little Mermaid for a return time. 35 min wait, so 25 minute return, we wanted ice cream, so walked all the way around the wall to storybook treats. DH was getting cranky, his back was hurting, DS was getting tired, but really wanted to ride Buzz, so we decided not to rime Mermaid and headed to Buzz.

Just told CM at Buzz that we had decided against Mermaid, so he just crossed it off. Wait time for Buzz was 25 minutes, so we got a 15 minute return time. We road the People Mover while we waited. Then to Buzz.

That was our day. I will admit, we would have accomplished much more with the GAC because we would not have had to twiddle our thumbs looking for things to do while we waited. We would have squeezed more in before we reached our breaking point. We also ate lunch before we were truly hungry, because we had to pass the time. It is what it is. We will learn the new program and teach our son how to manage.

My take away from the day was that if you are using DAS in conjunction with FP is to check the FP return times of both rides and FP whichever ride has the earlier return time. Use the DAS for the other ride.

Oh and about FP +, it's really clogging the entrance points of each FP line. Seems that there are still many glitches, not sure if it is guest error, or actual IT issues.
Thank you for this report. We're visiting in February and will be requesting a DAS (we have received GAC's in the past). It is so helpful to have first hand information so we can better prepare and know what to expect. Preparing our son as to what to expect is vital, surprises are never good! We've been talking about the new system with him, how it's changed and how we will tour differently. As long as we can put a positive spin on things for him, he'll go into this change positively. I know this system doesn't/won't work for everyone, but we found it to be a good approach for our son and has taught him some new coping skills. I "sold" the new system to him by listing off all the things we can do while waiting for our return DAS time (shops, smaller attractions that we typically don't ride, shows, Sorcerers card game, etc.). We're all on board to give it a whirl and make the best of the new experience (fingers crossed we'll stay in the "happy place"!).
__________________
1976, 1999, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013 and planning 2014

Badamon is offline  
Old 10-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #780
AndreaA
Mouseketeer
 
AndreaA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKRUD View Post
Please forgive me if this has been asked/answered before. I haven't yet figured out how to search this site as thoroughly as I'd like. Let me preface that I don't need a DASC, and never had a GAC, but it's just a curiosity about the bottom Disney Dollar.

It's my understanding that nearly everyone is now being asked to rent a wheelchair or ECV. How is that an accommodation for a disability? For annual passholders, trips to Disney are basically free (if you travel up for the day, pack a lunch, and leave at dinnertime) once you've paid for the AP. This forced rental business seems like a pocket-liner.

What about those with stamina/mobility issues who cannot, or do not want to, shell out $70 a pop?
What about those with body configuration issues, for whom a standard wheelchair would be inappropriate?
What people visiting alone or with children who could not reasonably be expected to push them? Will a CM pusher be provided?

Is this one of those "tweaks"?

I have been wondering about this as well. How "convenient" for Disney that they are now suggesting that a lot more people get wheelchairs or scooters which they oh-so-conveniently have for rent right there. Why should those who don't really need them have to shell out extra money to use them? The oft-used reasoning that "there's more walking in between rides than in line" is really quite ridiculous. If a person can do the park in 4 hrs instead of 8 hrs then that is 4 fewer hrs on their feet, period, and obviously less time in the park will lead to fewer stamina issues. And yes, even the new DAS would result in a shorter day and more resting if the alternative is getting FPs that could be hours in the future instead of just 45min, for example.
__________________
Mama to twin 4yr-old boys!

Wilderness Lodge - Oct.2012
Villas @ WL - Sept.2013


AndreaA is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: