Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #751
AndreaA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMcDuck View Post
I get your issues, but the reality is, he will now have to wait, either on the line, or away from the line. It is a new reality. It means going to the parks on the least busy days possible, for us. My son also only lasts 3-4 hours, tops, but really, that is true for many other people, too.

Good luck.
I'm not sure why that has to be the new reality when there have been numerous reports of people being given additional accommodations for reasons similar to what the OP is talking about. This only has to be the "new reality" if people do nothing but accept it.

I'm also not sure how a wheelchair can contain an otherwise physically healthy person. My kids get up and jump out of a stroller, and that's harder to get out of than a wheelchair. One pause and the OP's son could be out of the chair and dashing through a crowd and now she's got to maneuver a wheelchair to chase after him. I just don't think that's a very good or safe recommendation.

Wilderness Lodge - Oct.2012
Villas @ WL - Sept.2013

Contemporary - Jan. 2015
Villas @ WL - Nov. 2015
Old 10-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #752
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaA View Post
I'm not sure why that has to be the new reality when there have been numerous reports of people being given additional accommodations for reasons similar to what the OP is talking about. This only has to be the "new reality" if people do nothing but accept it.

I'm also not sure how a wheelchair can contain an otherwise physically healthy person. My kids get up and jump out of a stroller, and that's harder to get out of than a wheelchair. One pause and the OP's son could be out of the chair and dashing through a crowd and now she's got to maneuver a wheelchair to chase after him. I just don't think that's a very good or safe recommendation.

Sorry, I thought OP was trying to say her son needed a DAS that allowed no waiting. I no longer thought that was an option, but maybe it is. I know some people were able to get passes to ride the same ride several times in a row, stuff like that. I did not think "no waiting" was an option. I stand corrected.

I understand what you are saying about a "healthy person" jumping out of a wheelchair. I suppose I did not think about it that way, because my son is not really a "healthy person" per se. Autism, non verbal, down syndrome, Vision problems (no depth perception), very poor balance, fused ankles, poor stamina, excessive rocking, etc. (there is more I will skip for now) Sean can get in and out of his chair, but he doesn't jump out unless we tell him to, for some reason. With the Convaid, he can't get out until he bends down and flips the foot pedals to the side, so I would have some warning he was going to jump. I think he feels safe in there too, his little bubble. It is also great for parades, he can sit in it for the long wait for the parades to begin, and for the meet and greets. Sorry to disagree, but using a chair of some kind can really help some autistic kids and adults.

He does not use this chair at home, only for trips to Disney, museums, zoos, aquariums, etc. I can only think he stays in the chair, because he has learned to do so. (lucky for us) The parks would be completely impossible for us without his red chair. Even with it, they are challenging.

But when I say "good luck", I mean it sincerely, I wish everyone well and I hope they have magical trips to Disney.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #753
Jrob369
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by amzking View Post
That will not always work, for example, when I am with just him and his sister, without my husband.
On top of that, I don't think anyone has mentioned the fact that now, for those that are lucky to have a "runner", the time spent together as a family will be reduced. I wonder what consideration and possible adjustments will come of these issues in the next few months.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:42 AM   #754
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
I was given three choices about the picture. 1. Have ds's picture taken 2. Have my picture taken instead 3. No picture, additional manager approval required and his ID would be required to match the name on the DAS. (He does have a state ID because it was required to get a parking permit by the state.)
Interesting about the ID for the parking permit. My son does not have an ID but luckily he does not usually freak out about pictures. That is if they don't require a good picture but he probably would not look at them for it and could even cover his eyes.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:16 AM   #755
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My 5 year old son uses a stroller in the park. He can now get out of it unfortunately which came as a surprise during a very scary meltdown at Epcot. He was having a horrible panic attack that began by going into Askershus restaurant and I had to leave with him. He got out of the stroller in full panic mode (I have no idea how) and took off running. He is fast and strong and has this total ability to make it nearly impossible to pick him up when he does not want to be lifted. It was so scary. He made it halfway around the world with me running after him and his struggles with me when I would catch him, the whole thing took a good 45 minutes and then he wanted me to carry him. It was so exhausting and in the 90s. We both practically passed out and were both crying by the end if the ordeal. The CMs were very helpful. My point is sometimes you think they are secure and they get away. Of course he is physically healthy and all muscle. For someone who only eats Cheerios, blueberries, the occasional waffle, and almond milk I have no idea how he can be so fit especially considering that he jumps all day long and is never still for a second. How does he not waste away to nothing. So for those with physically challenged children I may not be as big of a risk.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #756
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMcDuck View Post
"There are times when he grabs us by the hand and PULLS us to an attraction, and will NOT be distracted. Usually this is Splash, Test Track, Soarin', Everest, and RnRC. Sometimes Astro Orbiter too. This is my biggest worry with this new system. My understanding initially with DAS was that there would be centralized kiosks where you could get return times without going up to the rides. Now I am hearing that is not the case. I am REALLY worried about this part, and I wanted that information conveyed in the document I give to GR." My son would do that pulling and stuff, and frankly, that is one reason we started using a chair in the parks. (one of many reasons). At least now I can look around while I push him. I can get food, I can slightly relax. (DS has no sense of danger, either). He actually gave me "tennis elbow" from pulling, years ago, which took months to ease up, and I have bursitis in my shoulders...... so I get it. The centralized type kiosks for the return times are at DL and Cal Adv parks in California. I also get your feeling on approaching a ride, then leaving with a return time, and how that could upset your son; I expect that will happen to us, too, but at least in the chair, I can get him away easier. I will NOT have a "runner", I will be pushing him up to each ride to get the RT. With the chair, my son points and tries to say the name of a ride sometimes, but at least he can't drag me in that direction. Oh, the sitting on the ground thing? Ditto. Moms around here call that "the wet noodle". Not so bad when they are younger kids, but now my son weighs 160 pounds. that is one big wet noodle. Again, the chair prevents most of this for us. I get your issues, but the reality is, he will now have to wait, either on the line, or away from the line. It is a new reality. It means going to the parks on the least busy days possible, for us. My son also only lasts 3-4 hours, tops, but really, that is true for many other people, too. Good luck.
What kind of chair do you use? Are are looking for a new one for our 10 year old daughter with autism as she has outgrown her special needs stroller. We use it for all the same reason you do. Thanks!
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge

Old 10-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #757
jlaalja
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylvr View Post
What kind of chair do you use? Are are looking for a new one for our 10 year old daughter with autism as she has outgrown her special needs stroller. We use it for all the same reason you do. Thanks!
Can't answer for previous person but we use a Maclaren Major for our daughter. We love it! It folds up like an umbrella stroller. Compared to many of the other special needs strollers we priced, we thought it was much more reasonable also.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"]July 2008 Offsite - July 2009 Offsite - December/January 2010/2011 AKV (Kidani)/Offsite - July 2011 BCV - September 2011 SSR - December/January 2011/2012 Offsite - April 2012 SSR - June 2012 BLT - July/August 2012 DLR - September 2012 BWV - December/January 2012/2013 BCV/SSR - March/April 2013 OKW - August 2013 WL/POR - September 2013 BLT - November 2013 SSR - December/January 2013/2014 AKV (Kidani)/SSR - April 2014 VGF/BLT - June 2014 BLT - July 2014 CSR/BLT - August 2014 POR/VWL- September 2014 SSR - December/January 2014/2015 BWV/AKV

Joe Lisa Lynae (15) Jacob (12) Anthony (4)
Old 10-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #758
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Years ago my son was a runner. Any sudden or loud noise sent him running. So did the sight of an animal. Parking lots were nightmares. He'd bolt with no concern for safety. One day at the MK there was a construction wall up and for some reason it frightened him and he ran. I had to drop everything in my arms and caught up to him at Dumbo. That was when his occupational therapist recommended getting a w/c or medical stroller.

The w/c acts like a cacoon and gives him his own area where he feels safe. Loud noises go off and because he feels safe he stays in the chair. Sometimes he even puts on the seatbelt and shoulder harness for more of a sense of security and pressure.

Since this summer, his legs give out with tics and he's been falling so now he's using it for additional reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six View Post
Interesting about the ID for the parking permit. My son does not have an ID but luckily he does not usually freak out about pictures. That is if they don't require a good picture but he probably would not look at them for it and could even cover his eyes.
There is an exception for people who can't get their picture taken, I think in that case it required further physician documentation. But this is for a FL disability parking permit, nothing to do with Disney.

Quote:
I know you didn't ask me, but my son has a Convaid Cruiser. He is outgrowing his and we'll probably go to the next size up because I really like the way it pushes easily. The foot rests are very heavy and add quite a bit of extra weight to the chair. It's bulky, but it does fold.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #759
LvsTnk
Disney Crazy

Quote:
We have a Convaid that folds up like an umbrella stroller it is obviously bigger but it has held up really well and has seen many trips to Disney.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #760
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaalja View Post
Can't answer for previous person but we use a Maclaren Major for our daughter. We love it! It folds up like an umbrella stroller. Compared to many of the other special needs strollers we priced, we thought it was much more reasonable also.
That is what we currently have but she is too tall for it. My daughter is 4' 9" and weighs 87 pounds. Technically she is still under the weight limit but her legs are so long and she look awkward in it.
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge

Old 10-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #761
AndreaA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
The w/c acts like a cacoon and gives him his own area where he feels safe. Loud noises go off and because he feels safe he stays in the chair. Sometimes he even puts on the seatbelt and shoulder harness for more of a sense of security and pressure.
I have absolutely no doubt that a wheelchair works great for some people who need that feeling of separation (and our stroller worked well for our son when that was his need) but that is not what the OP was being advised to use one for. She specifically said that her son runs off in order to get to the rides he is desperate to ride. Not because he's startled by a sound or something like that. In that circumstance, I really don't think that a wheelchair would help. If he wants to get to the ride, he wants to get to the ride.

Wilderness Lodge - Oct.2012
Villas @ WL - Sept.2013

Contemporary - Jan. 2015
Villas @ WL - Nov. 2015
Old 10-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #762
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have absolutely no doubt that a wheelchair works great for some people who need that feeling of separation (and our stroller worked well for our son when that was his need) but that is not what the OP was being advised to use one for. She specifically said that her son runs off in order to get to the rides he is desperate to ride. Not because he's startled by a sound or something like that. In that circumstance, I really don't think that a wheelchair would help. If he wants to get to the ride, he wants to get to the ride.
The person suggesting it said it helped her child that had the same tendency. It was just a friendly suggestion since it helped her. It's obviously not going to work for everyone, but it's up to the person she was directing it towards if they want to give it a try.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #763
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Maybe I've just missed it in this thread, but I haven't seen anybody mention how shows like Laugh Floor and Philharmagic are being handled for those with crowd issues. A DAS will do nothing for us since we make sure to arrive at these shows when we'll get into the next show or maybe the one after at the longest even without a DAS. It's not about how long we wait. My DD can't wait in the mob waiting areas where everybody is constantly told by CMs to push forward and crowd together and you have to be in this crowd even if you arrive only a few minutes before the show. Has anybody heard anything yet about what if anything is done for people in this situation?

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
Old 10-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #764
mom4praise
Earning My Ears

A Mom With A Question

I am planning my families first trip to Dinsey World for this time next year. I am a single mom and will be traveling with my DS-18 PTSD, ODD, ADHD (has learned many coping tools and is donig very well), DD-17 Bipolar 2 (new diagnosis and we're still working out the kinks), DS-14 my 'normal' kid (family joke), and DS-6 ADHD, ODD, and GAD (dignosed a few months ago, but have been working with him for longer, he's a lot like the oldest)

Now knowing whose on my team, I have a question about our trip. I am planning on getting a stroller for my DS6, he's a runner when he looses it and waiting for long periods not moving can set him into whirlwind.

With the new DAS system, would I be able to request a card? I have no problem waiting the time that the attraction states, I just don't think he will handle the being still part if its more than 30 minutes. We could walk around, do a shorter lined attraction, get a snack, etc.

Just wondering if I am understanding the new system correctly. This trip is a big step for me, as it's just me and the crew.

Me (38) , DS (17) , DD (16) , DS (13) and DS (5)
Old 10-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #765
3DisneyBuggs
The only way I would fly is if John Travolta is the pilot!
Maroon is my color, like the pom poms!
Now I owe tag tax

I wonder how the DAS will help with the crowded waiting area anther poster mentioned. At Philharmagic I used the GAC to wait in the handicapped section which is not crowded at all. I also sit in that section. I havent done VOTLM in years because there was no other place to wait than that little room with people crowded everywhere. I would love to know how to avoid that pre show waiting area.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: