Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #676
Disfanx4
Mouseketeer
 
Disfanx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 211

Making it work

I have a trip coming up in just over 2 weeks, I did like most other people have a major freak out when I heard about the changes. But since then I have calmed down and tried to make it work using all the tools available to me at this point. I have 2 daughters on the complete opposite ends of the spectrum so I hade to work with 1 that rides and 1 that doesn't except a chosen few but loves meet and greets as she thinks all the characters are her real friends. So here is what I worked out today for our first day at Epcot

Breakfast at BC 9:45
10:45-11:45 Fast pass+ test track for youngest and hubby, will hit the back end of this and get a DAS return time for character spot and take older daughter to play in the magic fountains while we wait
Use DAS return for character spot
Get another return time with DAS for character spot
11:45-12:45 fastpass+ time for soarin again for younger and hubby
Check out stuffys or do character spot again depending on return time while we wait
12:45-1:45 nemo for everyone

Everyone happy hopefully lunch and a walk around World and Voila DONE

now I'm not saying this will happen lol but it is definitely possible on a good day, also I can still throw in regular fasts passes and more DAS if necessary
Just finished magic kingdom day which was totally doable as well with the help of regular fast passes. I don't think anyone will really know how it works for their family until you try it once or twice as there will be good days and bad ones where I will end up throwing all this out the window, but by doing a little more planning on my part then I used to I think we will be ok
Disfanx4 is offline  
Old 10-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #677
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,566
DISboards Moderator

I am going to move this to the WDW DAS thread.
We have been trying to keep the threads together in one place rather than have a whole board full of DAS questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny and Erica View Post
Thanks to everyone for writing their concerns. I have used GAC because of severe neck disc and nerve conditions. I have 4 gedenerative discs that out of place and touch nerves in my neck. Walking, standing and sitting for periods of time cause the spasms and pain to be unbearable. I have had surgery to repair 2 discs but still have more to go. A wheel chair is not an optin because sitting is not a relief.
I agree with a previous post that DVC points will have to be sold if DAS is not an option anymore. Taking medicine to eliminate pain that can be avoided is a safer choice.

I have written letters to find out what options I would have. I pray that something makes the trip easier.

If anyone can give some advice please PM me...... Thanks
First, I would suggest you check out post one of the WDW DAS thread. It has a list of FAQs about DAS.

You need to explain your needs when you go to a Guest Relations to request a DAS card. Being able to use a Return Time would allow you to wait outside of the line where you could walk, stand, sit, whatever while you wait.

You also need to be aware that at some attractions all guests have to stand for a period of time unless they have a mobility device with them. Most of them are either shows or rides that load in batches. DAS cards won't help with those standing waits because they are part of the attraction, not waiting in line.
There is a post on page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread that lists those attractions for WDW.

Also, even with a DAS, there is a tremendous amount of walking in a day at WDW. On our last trip, we walked at least 6 miles in a day in the parks. And we were not exactly commando touring. We had 2 people with us who were not used to bring physically active, my DD in her wheelchair and an over 80 yr old grandma.

You might also want to look at other mobility devices - for example, some people in similar situations use a rollator - which is a wheeled walker with a fold down seat. The person using it can walk using it, which takes some pressure off the back because it provides a place to lean on. Because it has a fold down seat, it can also be sat on. So, it gives a lot of possibility for change in position.
A lot of people use a wheelchair the same way.

The last thing to think about is what kinds of things you use to adapt in other situations where you have to stand, walk or stand. Whatever you do in those situation will help.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr

Last edited by SueM in MN; 10-15-2013 at 10:24 PM.
SueM in MN is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #678
donatalie
DIS Veteran
 
donatalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,548

Hi..... we have been to Disney many times since 2002. I have two kiddos with autism. They are on completely different ends of the spectrum. We have never asked for special accommodations for my daughter... she completely understands waiting in line and the FP system. We are careful with her because she does have seizures and suffers from POTS (which causes fainting) and cm's have been very helpful with her. She struggles with crowds and sensory overload but has the cognitive ability to work with the tools provided her and she understands her limits.

My son is a different breed of cat. He is 6'5" and weights 350 lbs and has very aggressive tendencies. He is disabled.... under any ones definition, policy or rule. He is non-verbal, still in diapers and cannot care for himself. The major problem with the new DAS is cognitive. He has been using the GAC since 2002 and he just does not understand the new system. I walked down the stairs to get his DAS signed for the Jungle Cruise yesterday. He stayed on the main walkway in Adventureland and we made our way to POTC. He started to get upset... gesturing back to JC. We got in line for POTC and he started to get aggressive. When he got so bad that we had to remove him from the queue. the ride broke down and we were trapped. We was hitting, pinching and head butting and we couldn't get out. This was because we walked away from the ride he wanted to go on but couldn't.

This wouldn't be so bad if that was what he was used to.... but his routine has been completely broken by the DAS system because he learned to do DW with a GAC. Most cm's really want to help and the kind ness we have been shown has been magical. Others, however, are completely unbending. I am bruised and bleeding trying to help my family enjoy the magic that we have looked forward to for the last 12 years.

The new system, as I have explained to many, will work beautifully for 98% of those that are eligible for it. We, unfortunately are in the 2% and luckily there have been many many cm's that recognize this and have been willing to help... and they have helped with smiles and hugs. Thank you to them! and hopefully WDW will work out the bugs in the new system, work consistently and the DAS will eliminate abuse while helping those who truly need help.
donatalie is offline  
Old 10-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #679
donatalie
DIS Veteran
 
donatalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
Nothing in the world stays the same, and how do guests with disabilities handle those changes outside of WDW? If they don't handle them, then the programs they are in should be held accountable for not doing their jobs. Our students at school learn all about 'blooper days', because the best laid plans get destroyed by a fire drill, or a broken copy machine, or an absent teacher.

No, the DAS is not unlimited FP access like the old GAC. Are people not willing to try it because they are used to that special access, or unwilling to go the extra step and schedule FP+, use FP, and the DAS? (That's like having 5 GAC-like experiences for attractions, and they work for more attractions than the old GAC used to as well.) I don't see Disney changing their policy to allow any old GAC-like access. I've got a call back number from GS on my answering machine, and I will be discussing this very issue with them some time this week.
WOW!!!!! You must not teach many kiddos that are severely disabled. The problem with the new system for some is the change itself. The change in routine will send my son into a complete meltdown because he flat out does not understand what is happening or not happening. All he knows is that it is not the same that it was in the past. Now granted.... my son is a 1 in 20,000 case ( my daughter is also autistic and have never used special assistance for her) Our Disney Trips are the one time that we get to spend extended time enjoying something together as a family ( my husband and I work opposite shifts to care for our kids) and to have that taken away because so many have abused the GAC in the past is enough to make someone cry. Please understand.... I believe that the DAS will work for 98% of those that are given it. There are those it will not work for...... and I am one that appreciates every kind gesture and every ounce of assistance we have ever been given. I was hugged by eight different cm's today that went out of there way to try to help my family...... I will be humans helping humans at the end of the day that makes all of this doable. Not blanket policies and firm stands. Thanks for listening to my rant and thanks to all of those cm's that just want to make like a little more magical fro those that need it!
donatalie is offline  
Old 10-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #680
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,566
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donatalie View Post
WOW!!!!! You must not teach many kiddos that are severely disabled. The problem with the new system for some is the change itself. The change in routine will send my son into a complete meltdown because he flat out does not understand what is happening or not happening. All he knows is that it is not the same that it was in the past. Now granted.... my son is a 1 in 20,000 case ( my daughter is also autistic and have never used special assistance for her) Our Disney Trips are the one time that we get to spend extended time enjoying something together as a family ( my husband and I work opposite shifts to care for our kids) and to have that taken away because so many have abused the GAC in the past is enough to make someone cry. Please understand.... I believe that the DAS will work for 98% of those that are given it. There are those it will not work for...... and I am one that appreciates every kind gesture and every ounce of assistance we have ever been given. I was hugged by eight different cm's today that went out of there way to try to help my family...... I will be humans helping humans at the end of the day that makes all of this doable. Not blanket policies and firm stands. Thanks for listening to my rant and thanks to all of those cm's that just want to make like a little more magical fro those that need it!
One of the reasons for the change from the GAC to DAS was abuse.

But, the other reason was too many people to accommodate.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline  
Old 10-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #681
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,566
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by schepp View Post
I am probably going to hit a nerve with a lot of folks but I feel a certain aspect of this conversation is missing namely the law or ADA Title III. As part of my job with the government I have to deal ADA and ABA. I also have a DD that is in a wheelchair, has had her Make-a-Wish trip and her doctors have stated they are surprised she has made it this long so I do have an understanding of what disability means.
One of the main reasons the ADA did not come up on this thread was that in posts 1 and 2, I asked people not to discuss why Disney was changing GAC to DAS or whether Disney was right or wrong. I did not want it to deteriorate into that discussion, but instead be helpful information.
So, no more discussion after this post.


It sounds like this might surprise you, but the majority of regular posters on this board (and even most posters on this thread) do understand the ADA quite well

In my case, my daughter who is disabled is in her 20s, so we lived thru things not being accessible, things being made accessible and now, when there are people with disabilities who take it all for granted.

In the early days of the GAC (Guest Assistance Card), it was very needs based; based on needs for accommodation a person had related to their disability.

Can't walk up stairs? there was a specific GAC stamp for that.
Can't wait in the sun or heat? There was a specific GAC stamp for that.
Need front row seating because of vision related disabilities? There was a specific stamp for that.

There was also a stamp for alternate entry, which at one point was a quieter waiting spot. But, as Fastpass rolled out, that stamp started to be used for entry into the Fastpass line without a Fastpass.
It became the only stamp people wanted and instead of bring rare, just given out for need, it became an expectation for some people.

Most of us understand that what the GAC became was not what it was intended to be and is more than is required for accommodation according to the ADA.

It has been part of the )soon to be retired) GAC FAQs in post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs third.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline  
Old 10-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #682
Mom2six
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,025

Quote:
Originally Posted by schepp View Post
...
II. Overview of Requirements

Public accommodations must --

Provide goods and services in an integrated setting, unless separate or different measures are necessary to ensure equal opportunity.

...
Make reasonable modifications in policies, practices, and procedures that deny equal access to individuals with disabilities, unless a fundamental alteration would result in the nature of the goods and services provided.


III. "Individuals with Disabilities"

The Americans with Disabilities Act provides comprehensive civil rights protections for "individuals with disabilities".

An individual with a disability is a person who --

Has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, or

"Major life activities" include functions such as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.
I'm not really sure what your point is. My son, who has autism, would be considered disabled by this criteria. His disability impacts his ability to care for himself, his ability to speak, his ability to learn, etc. He has feeding issues. He also has emotional difficulties. So, providing a means for him to be able to enjoy Disney's services (the attractions etc) seems to fit perfectly the legal requirements you posted.
Mom2six is offline  
Old 10-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #683
Mom2six
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,025

[QUOTE=SueM in MN;49838923]One of the main reasons the ADA did not come up on this thread was that in posts 1 and 2, I asked people not to discuss why Disney was changing GAC to DAS or whether Disney was right or wrong. I did not want it to deteriorate into that discussion, but instead be helpful information.
So, no more discussion after this post.


Sorry, I respond to posts as I read them and didn't get to this post until the end.
Mom2six is offline  
Old 10-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #684
KPeveler
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 6 miles from Disneyland
Posts: 4,024
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six View Post
I'm not really sure what your point is. My son, who has autism, would be considered disabled by this criteria. His disability impacts his ability to care for himself, his ability to speak, his ability to learn, etc. He has feeding issues. He also has emotional difficulties. So, providing a means for him to be able to enjoy Disney's services (the attractions etc) seems to fit perfectly the legal requirements you posted.
No one is saying that he would not be eligible for accommodations. I think we ended up at the ADA because there was discussion about what Disney "has" to do, what people are "entitled" to, what is "fair" or "equal."

The point is this - Disney is providing a means of accommodation. If the DAS would not provide the service you require, there are other options. For example, if a person has vision problems and requires sitting in the front row of a show to see, the person approaches the CM and tells her/him. If a person needs assistive listening (basically ride audio through headphones) or captioning for the rides, a device is available.

We need to stay clear of discussions about "how disabled" a person needs to be in order to "qualify." The ADA states that only a person (or their caregiver/parent if necessary) can decide their own needs. That is why proof cannot be required for equal access.

The GAC worked when it started, but by the end, there were too many people needing it and too many stamps. The system was too big to try to change, so instead Disney took stock of the current situation in the world - more people with disabilities and more elderly people going out and enjoying the parks - and created a system for that.

Is anyone here from Boston? I literally spent my entire childhood with "The Big Dig." The city of Boston was changing all of the major highways through the heart of the city. The old system, created 40 years before, was not working anymore because there were too many cars (let's face it - Boston roads, even highways, are based on a 400 year old city). So they created a new system, and the construction project was titled "The Big Dig" because it took literally 15 years to complete. And now, 10 years later, they are already starting to see more cars than they had planned for. So city planners are already looking at how to make things better.

The ADA was a ground-breaking document, but was not the first law like it. There were smaller laws before, about things like education. And even the ADA, the cornerstone of the American disability experience, needed to be updated 20 years later.

So this is just the Disney version of catching up with the times. And yes, just like there was traffic when the "Big Dig" was actually happening, there is "traffic" now while the new system is being put in place. Not everything is perfect. Some things may need to be adjusted as Disney learns. But change is inevitable, the old system was not working, and this system is aiming to do what the ADA envisioned - create equality, not more, not less.

So let's give it a chance (and be glad it does not take 15 years to build) and see what happens after the first couple weeks.
__________________
~Katy~

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline  
Old 10-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #685
samnbilly
Loves the GF and the Castle.All nurses go to heaven. Has a shoe obsession
 
samnbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
Everyone take a deep breath and relax a minute. In this whole thread, there have been a handful of people who have written about issues at Epcot. Most of the reports have not been new reports, but have just been repeating having read about a report on this thread. So, not a lot of new reports; a lot of people talking about the same few reports. And, there were a couple of reports where people said they were told DAS was just for children with autism and one parent of a child with autism who understood it was NOT for children with autism. At least one Epcot CM posted on this thread that they were not saying either that DAS was only for children with autism or was not for children with autism. So it all points to miscommunication and confusion being the root of the reports. The CM may be answering the question they understood the guest to ask, not the question the guest thought they asked. This is stressful for both guests and CMs and stress makes communication more difficult and miscommunication more likely. There may be some who are having a harder time at the new system than others, but they are not out to make things difficult for guests. If you are at a park and get an answer you think is not correct, it is a good idea to repeat it back - "I understood you to say xxxxxxxx. Is that what you meant?" Ask for clarification and if you are still not clear, ask to speak to a manager. If you still have issues, email Disney at disability.services@disneyparks.com Yes. There have been adults getting DAS cards. Yes. There have been people who do not have a child with autism getting DAS cards. Some people who previously got a GAC may not get a DAS card. For example, Disney has said that people whose needs are met by having a wheelchair, ECV, stroller as wheelchair or other mobility device and an accessible line/boarding will not need a DAS card. Disney has also said that some needs that previously were covered with a GAC stamp, like front row seating or avoiding stairs, will be handled at attractions, without the DAS. Some of the people with those needs may have gotten a GAC before. I also think that is where some of the "WDW is not giving DAS out to adults" may be coming from. They could be misunderstanding of the explanation of why a DAS card was not given out when that person previously got a GAC. SEE BELOW. if you have not read the first post in this thread, you will want to read it so that you can explain the needs to the CM at Guest Relations. If it seems that the need is mobility related, you need to be able to explain what needs you have besides mobility and/or why a mobility device alone can't meet your needs.
I'm not sure if you were referring to my post in saying that WDW is not giving DAS to adults.

My issue is that I've heard quite a few times that ppl were lumped in the mobility issue, therefore not issued a DAS. I did already read your post, but felt there was conflicting information from those that went.

I was afraid that my issue would possibly appear as a mobility issue. I never even rec'd the old GAC because I wasn't in the situation I am now.

I find the new system confusing & I am just trying to understand it to fit my needs.

My other issue is moving threads that anyone starts & putting them over to this sticky regarding the new system.

It must be extremely difficult to maintain this disabilities site.

I wish we could have the ability to voice our concerns & be able to read the responses to our questions and comments as long as they aren't rude or disrespectful & start an argument.


It seems like our responses get "lost in the shuffle" or put in a example that wasn't meant that way (the O.P.) I know you'd like to keep it all together, but other people may start voicing their concerns & they may not have done that before.

The problem with having one thread, is that you feel buried under 60 pages of info & some of he responses don't make sense because they've been moved from their original thread.

I'm not suggesting we start a free for all here, but it's good to hear about change, if we start a respectful dialogue.

Even under the Resorts pages & Dining, the same questions start to pop up. For the most part, that's ok, because different questions bring up different responses.

I mean absolutely no disrespect & I'm sure I have no idea how difficult this has been, but maybe we can give it a chance (within reason)?
__________________
Sept.99-GF Lodge concierge(During Hurricane)
May.01-Poly concierge
Oct.03-GF RPC
Oct.04-GF-S.L./BC-concierge
Aug. 05-BC/ AKL
Oct. 06- off site
Oct. 08-BC
Oct. 13 BWI CL

samnbilly is offline  
Old 10-16-2013, 02:07 AM   #686
rebcat
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3

Unsure of our options

We have a trip to WDW planned for early December and I am struggling to determine what our time will look like with these changes. I'm actually mostly (at this point) uncertain as to what to ask for for my daughter. She has cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair in settings like Disney. At home, she crawls most of the time and needs a lot of assistance to do most activities. My concerns are the fact that she is not used to sitting and not moving in her wheelchair for any length of time - she needs to be moved in and out of it fairly often. She has a hard time in crowded situations with people encroaching on her space and tends to need quiet time when she gets overwhelmed. It's not the same as a child with Autism; she knows when she needs to separate and has put herself in "time out" from a very young age when she needed to be alone. She does become frustrated when she can't do "normal" things and this is beginning to become more of a factor than it's ever needed to be for us. We can carry her for short periods of time and she is able to be transferred onto rides as long as an adult can ride with her and make sure she remains safe. She does not do well with people in her "personal space" and will put her hand up to sort of push them away when they are encroaching on her space. She also has significant visual impairments, but I realize that those are addressed at individual attractions.

All of these concerns lead me to dread standing in regular lines for every ride, but I'm not sure what the appropriate option is for her or what we should ask for. I just imagine all of her memories of our trip being of staring at a stranger's bum in one line after another. We chose Disney based on a great experience two years ago in which we stood in a lot of decent-length lines, but nothing totally outrageous. I guess I don't want to game the system, but it seems like merely being able to remain in her chair doesn't fully address all of her issues. It's not a peak travel time (in fact, it should be relatively low attendance), so that should help us, but I guess I want to make sure her needs are met as fully as possible.

Any thoughts on what it seems appropriate for me to ask for? I can't figure out if a DAS card would be the right solution or what it will look like to not have anything in the way of "accommodation".

Hope that makes sense!
rebcat is offline  
Old 10-16-2013, 02:49 AM   #687
KPeveler
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 6 miles from Disneyland
Posts: 4,024
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnbilly View Post
My other issue is moving threads that anyone starts & putting them over to this sticky regarding the new system.

It must be extremely difficult to maintain this disabilities site.

I wish we could have the ability to voice our concerns & be able to read the responses to our questions and comments as long as they aren't rude or disrespectful & start an argument.


It seems like our responses get "lost in the shuffle" or put in a example that wasn't meant that way (the O.P.) I know you'd like to keep it all together, but other people may start voicing their concerns & they may not have done that before.

The problem with having one thread, is that you feel buried under 60 pages of info & some of he responses don't make sense because they've been moved from their original thread.

I'm not suggesting we start a free for all here, but it's good to hear about change, if we start a respectful dialogue.

Even under the Resorts pages & Dining, the same questions start to pop up. For the most part, that's ok, because different questions bring up different responses.

I mean absolutely no disrespect & I'm sure I have no idea how difficult this has been, but maybe we can give it a chance (within reason)?
There are several reasons we have been condensing threads - one is that during the daytime hours, there is a new post on SOME DAS related disabilities thread every 5 minutes. I am really not exaggerating. Since the news broke about the change, I have had to have my computer next to me, ready to check things at all times, because the questions have been constant.

By keeping it all in one place, it also makes it easy for people to see the guidelines posted at the beginning of the thread. We have no problem with people voicing concerns - I just voiced my own over in the DL thread. What we wanted to avoid were rants and complaints from people who had not tried the system yet. We are, however, very interested in experiences. Many people, including myself, posted before we tried the system our concerns for how this new system would be affecting us.

If every person who had a question posted in a new thread, not only would we be answering the same question over and over, but questions on other matters would be lost.

These are just a few of the reasons I come up with off the top of my head - there are only two mods - Sue and I - and we are volunteers who have full (in Sue's case, very very full) lives in addition to the DIS.

We are doing the best we can, but this is a huge change and there are literally thousands of posts on the matter.

I am sure that as time goes on, and people become more used to the DAS system, we will consider having individual threads, but at this point, there is so much to deal with, I think the mods, and other posters with non-DAS questions would be overwhelmed.

I hope this answers your questions. Sue and I carefully considered over many days how to open and start these threads, and how to keep the conversation productive and helpful.
__________________
~Katy~

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline  
Old 10-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #688
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,793

Quote:
Originally Posted by donatalie View Post
Hi..... we have been to Disney many times since 2002. I have two kiddos with autism. They are on completely different ends of the spectrum. We have never asked for special accommodations for my daughter... she completely understands waiting in line and the FP system. We are careful with her because she does have seizures and suffers from POTS (which causes fainting) and cm's have been very helpful with her. She struggles with crowds and sensory overload but has the cognitive ability to work with the tools provided her and she understands her limits.

My son is a different breed of cat. He is 6'5" and weights 350 lbs and has very aggressive tendencies. He is disabled.... under any ones definition, policy or rule. He is non-verbal, still in diapers and cannot care for himself. The major problem with the new DAS is cognitive. He has been using the GAC since 2002 and he just does not understand the new system. I walked down the stairs to get his DAS signed for the Jungle Cruise yesterday. He stayed on the main walkway in Adventureland and we made our way to POTC. He started to get upset... gesturing back to JC. We got in line for POTC and he started to get aggressive. When he got so bad that we had to remove him from the queue. the ride broke down and we were trapped. We was hitting, pinching and head butting and we couldn't get out. This was because we walked away from the ride he wanted to go on but couldn't.

This wouldn't be so bad if that was what he was used to.... but his routine has been completely broken by the DAS system because he learned to do DW with a GAC. Most cm's really want to help and the kind ness we have been shown has been magical. Others, however, are completely unbending. I am bruised and bleeding trying to help my family enjoy the magic that we have looked forward to for the last 12 years.

The new system, as I have explained to many, will work beautifully for 98% of those that are eligible for it. We, unfortunately are in the 2% and luckily there have been many many cm's that recognize this and have been willing to help... and they have helped with smiles and hugs. Thank you to them! and hopefully WDW will work out the bugs in the new system, work consistently and the DAS will eliminate abuse while helping those who truly need help.
I'm so sorry things did not go well yesterday. I'm glad the cm were supportive and tried to help you.

The only time DAS worked like a charm for us was when ds did NOT know I was getting a time on his card.

DAS definitely takes more work on behalf of the caregiver. There is no question about that. I was giving that warning up front, so I was expecting that aspect.
lovethattink is online now  
Old 10-16-2013, 05:43 AM   #689
samnbilly
Loves the GF and the Castle.All nurses go to heaven. Has a shoe obsession
 
samnbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
Everyone take a deep breath and relax a minute. In this whole thread, there have been a handful of people who have written about issues at Epcot. Most of the reports have not been new reports, but have just been repeating having read about a report on this thread. So, not a lot of new reports; a lot of people talking about the same few reports. And, there were a couple of reports where people said they were told DAS was just for children with autism and one parent of a child with autism who understood it was NOT for children with autism. At least one Epcot CM posted on this thread that they were not saying either that DAS was only for children with autism or was not for children with autism. So it all points to miscommunication and confusion being the root of the reports. The CM may be answering the question they understood the guest to ask, not the question the guest thought they asked. This is stressful for both guests and CMs and stress makes communication more difficult and miscommunication more likely. There may be some who are having a harder time at the new system than others, but they are not out to make things difficult for guests. If you are at a park and get an answer you think is not correct, it is a good idea to repeat it back - "I understood you to say xxxxxxxx. Is that what you meant?" Ask for clarification and if you are still not clear, ask to speak to a manager. If you still have issues, email Disney at disability.services@disneyparks.com Yes. There have been adults getting DAS cards. Yes. There have been people who do not have a child with autism getting DAS cards. Some people who previously got a GAC may not get a DAS card. For example, Disney has said that people whose needs are met by having a wheelchair, ECV, stroller as wheelchair or other mobility device and an accessible line/boarding will not need a DAS card. Disney has also said that some needs that previously were covered with a GAC stamp, like front row seating or avoiding stairs, will be handled at attractions, without the DAS. Some of the people with those needs may have gotten a GAC before. I also think that is where some of the "WDW is not giving DAS out to adults" may be coming from. They could be misunderstanding of the explanation of why a DAS card was not given out when that person previously got a GAC. SEE BELOW. if you have not read the first post in this thread, you will want to read it so that you can explain the needs to the CM at Guest Relations. If it seems that the need is mobility related, you need to be able to explain what needs you have besides mobility and/or why a mobility device alone can't meet your needs.
I am thankful for your reply. I'm terrible at trying to quote, especially on my phone. If you look at page 42, this post from SueM, I wanted to know why she copied my post and this part about "I also think that this is where some of the "WDW is not giving DAS out to adults" may be coming from. SueM continued to talk about the misunderstanding of the explanation of why a person who previously rec'd a GAC didn't get a DAS card. Then my post was copied about me asking for help to clear up some of the confusion & I went on to explain my chronic pain disorder, which is why I'm up messaging @ 3 & before 6am, because this severe pain doesn't allow me to sleep more than 2hrs at a time. Referring me to read the first post (again...& again, as I have read it) doesn't clear up some of the many reports as to ppl stating that they were refused a DAS & all I wanted was some info to help explain my situation to the CM's & to let them understand about this issue. No one even knows (not a lay person) what a pain pump is or how it's used or why I still have excruciating (& yes, it's excruciating) pain. Or why I can't walk long distances (because I'm in the Advanced stages of Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome) It's not like I have something to explain that's familiar to many ppl. I just wanted to be able to find the language I needed to voice my needs. A previous poster gave me a very good suggestion. I'm not saying that the two of you aren't working tirelessly on this site, but I find it hard to find the time to go back so many pages to find the info I need. I like to read ppl's opinions, but they seem to be in this very long thread as well. Is there a way to separate these stickies by having ppl with concerns & questions over the new system & a separate one for ppl who have experience using the new system? I find it difficult to go thru the many, many posts which has such a varied amt of questions.
__________________
Sept.99-GF Lodge concierge(During Hurricane)
May.01-Poly concierge
Oct.03-GF RPC
Oct.04-GF-S.L./BC-concierge
Aug. 05-BC/ AKL
Oct. 06- off site
Oct. 08-BC
Oct. 13 BWI CL


Last edited by samnbilly; 10-16-2013 at 05:50 AM.
samnbilly is offline  
Old 10-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #690
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place
 
bookwormde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,531

Quote:
Originally Posted by schepp View Post
"Major life activities" include functions such as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.
It is important to have the full list under ADA Title III

2) Major Life Activities
(A) In general
For purposes of paragraph (1), major life activities include, but are not limited to, caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, seeing, hearing, eating, sleeping, walking, standing, lifting, bending, speaking, breathing, learning, reading, concentrating, thinking, communicating, and working.
(B) Major bodily functions
For purposes of paragraph (1), a major life activity also includes the operation of a major bodily function, including but not limited to, functions of the immune system, normal cell growth, digestive, bowel, bladder, neurological, brain, respiratory, circulatory, endocrine, and reproductive functions.

Bookwormde
__________________
bookwormde is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: