Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #16
Vidia2
DIS Veteran

Last edited by Vidia2; 10-15-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #17
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidia2 View Post
My question is in regard to the return time. Is there any information on how long the window for return will be? For example, will we need to be there within, 10 minutes of the return time or we lose our spot, or will we be given more flexibility, maybe up to an hour?
Flexible, but I am not at liberty to say how much.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #18
Vidia2
DIS Veteran

Last edited by Vidia2; 10-15-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #19
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
Flexible, but I am not at liberty to say how much.
Flexible enough to be able to mesh the interpreted shows with riding rides?
Also how are we to get accommodations for hearing and vision problem that have nothing to do with lines

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Old 09-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Hands View Post
Flexible enough to be able to mesh the interpreted shows with riding rides?
Also how are we to get accommodations for hearing and vision problem that have nothing to do with lines
For those with a DAS card, they will be able to know what the Return Time is before getting it put onto their card. So, if one attraction time doesn't match up, you could choose another attraction.
The rumor I have heard, which is probably true, is that the My Disney Experience app will be used as the source for wait times. Besides the CMs, guests who have the app on their smartphone would also be able to see those wait times.
Between that and the flexibility, there should not be much issue.

For hearing and vision problems not associated with lines, the information out there says the accommodations will be given at the attraction, by communicating with an attraction host.

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 09-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #21
IndianaPrincess
Mouseketeer

Are we going to have one of these threads for Disneyland? I have a post all written but I know this one is suppose to be about WDW. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #22
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

That's not good from my experience. CM see the wheelchair and just assume that is the only accommodation needed.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Old 09-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #23
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaPrincess View Post
Are we going to have one of these threads for Disneyland? I have a post all written but I know this one is suppose to be about WDW. Thanks!
Yes.
Most of it will be the same as this one, but I wanted to make 2 threads because DL is so much different than DL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Hands View Post
That's not good from my experience. CM see the wheelchair and just assume that is the only accommodation needed.
I guess you will have to wait and see. CMs are being trained on the general DAS program and also about how to accommodate guests at their attractions.

Since vision and hearing accommodations are listed as "attraction based accommodations, they should be more aware.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #24
IndianaPrincess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
Yes.
Most of it will be the same as this one, but I wanted to make 2 threads because DL is so much different than DL
Okay, thanks. I'll hold my post for a bit then!
Old 09-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #25
circus4u
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidia2 View Post
My question is in regard to the return time. Is there any information on how long the window for return will be? For example, will we need to be there within 10 minutes of the return time or we lose our spot, or will we be given more flexibility, maybe up to an hour?
I thought I read, from a CM who had been in training on the new system, that there was no time limit for return time. The only thing was that a new attraction could not be added until the other attraction had been used/crossed out.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #26
alizesmom
Pumba is my hero but I love Donald

My confusion is whether someone in a wheelchair will be issued a card or will it be only if other accommodations are needed?
Old 09-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #27
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alizesmom View Post
My confusion is whether someone in a wheelchair will be issued a card or will it be only if other accommodations are needed?
It will only be if other accommodation is needed. I'm not finished yet with post 1, but I put the thread up because I wanted all the questions in one thread as much as possible.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #28
CynJ
Caffeinated Insomniac

Handicap accessible viewing areas for Illuminations

I'm not familiar with how the GAC affected these (did you need to show a pass or was showing up on an ECV enough to get you in?) and I was wondering if access to these areas will be changing with the new program?

1991 - Caribbean Resort
2002 - All Star Movies
2014 - Art of Animation
Old 09-30-2013, 05:20 AM   #29
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alizesmom View Post
That's my thoughts too.

A lot of the time we generally get fastpasses, with fastpass+ hopefully this will help too.

Im also wondering if we need to use fastpasses or cards for rides that have alternate wheelchair access. eg splash mountain-when you have to go via the exit.

I look forward to your updates, youre all doing a great job of keeping us informed.

I'm pleased the system is getting updated, sometimes you can go to rides and because there is no control, there can be very long queues. It can end up that you're waiting for the ride longer using the GAC, than via the regular queue.

I'll just be glad when all the fuss dies down and we can see the system in process.
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge @ Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
August 2014- Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort
Old 09-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #30
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynJ View Post
I'm not familiar with how the GAC affected these (did you need to show a pass or was showing up on an ECV enough to get you in?) and I was wondering if access to these areas will be changing with the new program?
For Illuminations, guests with a visible need - for example, having an ECV, wheelchair or other mobility device were allowed in without a GAC. Those with invisible disabilities had to show a GAC.
I do not have specific information about that, but my guess is that it will remain that way for Illuminations - those with visible need will be allowed in and those without visible needs will need a DAS card.
That is just my guess, but those spots now are first come, first serve and people who can't get in can park anywhere along the World Showcase water, so it's not like they can't see it if they are not in those handicapped viewing areas.

It's possible that might change in some way - like those with visible need and DAS card or just DAS are allowed access first for a period of time, then the area is open to those with visible needs after that time.
This is one we'll have to see how it works out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthtatty View Post
That's my thoughts too.

A lot of the time we generally get fastpasses, with fastpass+ hopefully this will help too.

Im also wondering if we need to use fastpasses or cards for rides that have alternate wheelchair access. eg splash mountain-when you have to go via the exit.

I look forward to your updates, youre all doing a great job of keeping us informed.

I'm pleased the system is getting updated, sometimes you can go to rides and because there is no control, there can be very long queues. It can end up that you're waiting for the ride longer using the GAC, than via the regular queue.

I'll just be glad when all the fuss dies down and we can see the system in process.
I haven't got the part about wheelchair access in post one yet, but here is the information. The park maps for guests with disabilities list the mobility entrances for each attraction. Guests with a visible need who don't have a DAS would use whatever is listed for the 'mobility entrance' for that attraction.
Quote:
Mobility Access: obtain a FAsTPAssŪ oR use stand-By queue. If FAsTPAssŪ is not available, enter through standard queue.
Some are totally Mainstream, which means the entire queue is accessible. Some are mostly Mainstream (which actually includesSplash Mountain) and are listed on the map as Mainstream.

For those that are listed as not bring Mainstream access, those without DAS will speak to an attraction host CM and get a Return Ticket ( not the same as DAS card holders will get because a person can have more than one if those tickets).

That's the short version and I will add to post 1 tonight

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: