Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #271
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Hands
This is what concerns me. CM making blanket statements like that when they see my wheelchair when there are invisible disabilities as well. See wheelchair , don't need accommodation.
Which is probably exactly why my dd did not get one. She was on an ecv but that is not the only issue. We are not getting much accomplished at Epcot this afternoon. She isn't having such a good day .
Old 10-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #272
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Hands View Post
This is what concerns me. CM making blanket statements like that when they see my wheelchair when there are invisible disabilities as well. See wheelchair , don't need accommodation.
The issue I can see with the person is that the needs she told them were all able to be met with a wheelchair/ ECV.
There are many people whose needs are met with just that - it's up to the guest to explain their other needs if they have ones not met by having the wheelchair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidia2 View Post
Do you know if kiosks will come later or if getting return times will remain at the attraction?
WDW already had greeters at each attraction, DL did not so DL needed to come up with something else.
WDW may switch to something alternative once Fastpass + is all rolled out.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #273
scottcim2
Earning My Ears

Just came back from Hollywood Studios. Here are some quick notes about the new system. We got the card for our son who has a non-visable disability.

- No line at guest relations. We were there at 8:35am.

- Total time to get new card was about 12 min.

- We were told to come back to guest relations if we found that the new system did not make for an enjoyable day. They would see about accommodating us differently. We did not go back.

- We were asked if our son has Autism. We were never asked about specific diagnosis in the past.

- We were not allowed to get return time for Disney Jr LIVE.

- Takes 1 - 2 min to get a return time because of how long it takes to fill out.

- You can only get a return time for lines over a 10 min wait.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #274
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

SueM This problem was happening with GAC and I am sure it will continue happening with DAS. People don't take time to actually listen. They hear what they want to or expect to hear. I am not hopeful.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Old 10-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #275
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

I've been following the posts but one thing I'm not seeing....how is stroller as wheelchair being handled?

My DS is NT and in the past we always just used FP for our family as needed...didn't even know about FOTL access and never needed it. Will our old sticker on the stroller still be ok? Or will we have to get the DAS card? Due to muscle tone, muscle weakness, core and ligament issues standing and stamina are problematic for him. I need to be able to push him through The Land and have him sit during pre-shows, per his PT.

Does anyone know what the changes might mean for us? Are they still doing the red stickers?
Old 10-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #276
Kay1
Check out Ricki's hidden Mickey!
The only tricky part is judging when the actual boiling begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDisneyKid View Post
Where in ratlenhum's quote does it say anything about a picture?
All the DAS passes have the person's photo. That person has to be present when boarding.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #277
Wishes Count
I Make the Magic! CP 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay1 View Post
How did they take the picture? Through the glass, or did someone come out with a camera, or did you have to have it taken inside?

Thanks.
The photo is taken using an iPad, and there is someone outside the window location to do so, In the lobby they can come in front of the counter or simply take it from behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis-happy View Post
I've been following the posts but one thing I'm not seeing....how is stroller as wheelchair being handled?

My DS is NT and in the past we always just used FP for our family as needed...didn't even know about FOTL access and never needed it. Will our old sticker on the stroller still be ok? Or will we have to get the DAS card? Due to muscle tone, muscle weakness, core and ligament issues standing and stamina are problematic for him. I need to be able to push him through The Land and have him sit during pre-shows, per his PT.

Does anyone know what the changes might mean for us? Are they still doing the red stickers?
There are still the red "luggage tag" type stickers. You do not need a DAS card to utilize stroller as a wheelchair and can enter through the normal queue.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #278
Kay1
Check out Ricki's hidden Mickey!
The only tricky part is judging when the actual boiling begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishes Count View Post
The photo is taken using an iPad, and there is someone outside the window location to do so, In the lobby they can come in front of the counter or simply take it from behind it.

I see. So either Guest Relations (meaning inside or outside the park) will work.

Thanks so much. I'm trying to write a "social story" for my son and now I know how to start it.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #279
Rowanonfire
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
MK in WDW doesn't have handicapped viewing areas for the fireworks. They do have a AAA viewing area, a Fastpass + viewing area on some nights and a Dessert option where you can pay to have a dessert buffet in an area with fireworks viewing
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcim2 View Post
Just came back from Hollywood Studios. Here are some quick notes about the new system. We got the card for our son who has a non-visable disability.

- No line at guest relations. We were there at 8:35am.

- Total time to get new card was about 12 min.

- We were told to come back to guest relations if we found that the new system did not make for an enjoyable day. They would see about accommodating us differently. We did not go back.

- We were asked if our son has Autism. We were never asked about specific diagnosis in the past.

- We were not allowed to get return time for Disney Jr LIVE.

- Takes 1 - 2 min to get a return time because of how long it takes to fill out.

- You can only get a return time for lines over a 10 min wait.
Isn't it against the law to ask for a diagnosis?
Old 10-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #280
NjMamaMouse
Earning My Ears

DAS back page

What happens when the 19 lines are filled up? I am going down in a few weeks for 6 days, assuming 4 rides a day we would be filled up in day 5..... does this mean we have to go and get picture taken again and get issued a new card?
Old 10-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #281
toocherie

By the way, the foregoing is not LEGAL advice
I'm also easy--it says so on all the bathroom walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badamon View Post
So, am I misreading this pic? Because it looks to me like the CMs are cutting 10 minutes off the wait time of the attraction in calculation of the return time? Was that expected?

Old 10-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #282
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocherie View Post
So, am I misreading this pic? Because it looks to me like the CMs are cutting 10 minutes off the wait time of the attraction in calculation of the return time? Was that expected?
I think it I assumed that usually there is a wait in the fp line also. So the guess of the amt of time to the end point.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #283
Rowanonfire
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocherie View Post
Yes I think it would always said that it would be wait time -10 to take into account getting the return time and any wait at the alternate entrance.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #284
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowanonfire View Post
Isn't it against the law to ask for a diagnosis?
Yes, it is. Disney World (I have not had a report of this at DL) is going to have a MAJOR problem on its hands. It IS illegal to pick a diagnosis. It IS illegal to deny someone based only on them NOT having a specific diagnosis.

This is NOT what the system is supposed to be, and it is unacceptable for ANY CM to be saying this. What I find disturbing is that we are having multiple reports from multiple parks. I am very much hoping someone manages to speak to one of those management people who are supposedly going to be around.

I very much hope things improve there!

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #285
Rowanonfire
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
Yes, it is. Disney World (I have not had a report of this at DL) is going to have a MAJOR problem on its hands. It IS illegal to pick a diagnosis. It IS illegal to deny someone based only on them NOT having a specific diagnosis.

This is NOT what the system is supposed to be, and it is unacceptable for ANY CM to be saying this. What I find disturbing is that we are having multiple reports from multiple parks. I am very much hoping someone manages to speak to one of those management people who are supposedly going to be around.

I very much hope things improve there!
From the sound of things, Disney has no choice but to improve the issue! They are asking for trouble... Hope everyone there now in the confusion who needs assistance eventually manages to get it.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: