Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #256
dreamsofdisney
Still has a little Mickey Dust sprinkled on her desk from her last trip "home"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
Yes, the stroller as a wheelchair tag is still available. It is separate from the DAS.
I'll be able to provide some feedback soon. We arrive at WDW tomorrow. DD4 is a former 1 lb 2 oz preemie with mild cerebral palsy and Autism, as well as a host of other "minor" disorders. We've taken her once in the past and she had a GAC and a stroller as wheelchair tag. (DS20 had his own GAC because he also has Autism.) Our first park day will be the 11th. I plan on explaining how her mobility (balance & coordination issues, muscle fatigue, spasticity, etc.) affect her ability to stand in lines, facilitating the need for a stroller as a wheelchair tag. BUT I will also tell them how her Autism affects her: sensory issues, behavior issues, etc.

She also has disorder that causes her to have difficulty regulating her body temperature. In addition to that, she is 99% tube-fed and is unable to take liquids by mouth to stay hydrated, so she needs frequent tube feeds for hydration in the heat. She is verbal, but doesn't have conversational speech and doesn't mand for (request) needs, so she has to be closely monitored for signs of overheating or dehydration. While I've gotten used to tube feedings in public places, she's not on a continuous feed, and I'd prefer not to try and juggle everything and hook her up while waiting in a 45-60 minute line! Imagine the stares and comments! (Not that I care, but some families might.)

I'm still nervous that even if we do get the DAS, the CMs will see the stroller as wheelchair tag and be on the defensive and turn us away from the return time/DAS option. I'll try to post from WDW to let you know how it goes.

I'll also check about the photo from the guest services outside of the park - someone asked about that, but I forgot to quote them!

Hugs for everyone stressing about the unknown as much as I am! As someone else posted, GAC has never been a FOTL pass for us, but it did make planning our trip a lot easier and more worry free. I know DD will have difficulty with stamina and waiting for the return time to arrive. Using the time in between to "go to shops, grab a bite to eat..." doesn't work so well for kiddos who want everything scheduled and don't do well with unknowns. I can't make a visual schedule when we don't know the wait times or FP return times until that moment. For us, it will mean fewer rides/attractions and probably a few more meltdowns....but we're still happy to be going at all!

DH45 ME41 DS20 DD4

1984 off site 1985 off site 6/1999 off site 3/2000 All-Star Movies 5/2001 All-Star Movies 4/2002 All-Star Movies 4/2003 All-Star Movies 2/2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge 10/2005 Honeymoon in Playa del Carmen, Mexico during Hurricane Wilma! 7/2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge 4/2011 Animal Kingdom Villas 10/2013 Animal Kingdom Villas

Old 10-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #257
Aladora
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by design_mom View Post
It is interesting that the card in the photo is good from today till October 22. That's substantially longer than previous information has indicated they'd offer them for, isn't it? I first heard "one day only", then multi-day with proof of length of stay... but I thought even that was predicted to have limits.
The maximum that I have heard is 14 days, which the pictured DAS is for. Oct 9 - 22 is exactly 14 days so I would guess that the person who needed the DAS is an AP holder.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #258
Poohsmommi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDisneyKid View Post
Someone (or many) will find a way around this so-called "new policy". Not today or tomorrow,,,but somewhere down the road.
They will, but it doesn't matter. They will not get instant fastpass access like they would have with the GAC - autistic or not. The DAS makes them wait just like everyone else, so where is the benefit to lie? There really isn't one, especially if you can only get 1 or 2 return times at time.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #259
Vidia2
DIS Veteran

Last edited by Vidia2; 10-15-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #260
NYDisneyKid
Expedition Everest Record Holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by design_mom View Post
It is interesting that the card in the photo is good from today till October 22. That's substantially longer than previous information has indicated they'd offer them for, isn't it? I first heard "one day only", then multi-day with proof of length of stay... but I thought even that was predicted to have limits.
Probably an AP holder. The old system for AP's were good for 2 months at a time.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #261
ratlenhum
DIS Veteran

We got ours this morning at HS. The outside GS didn't have a single person on line. We got there at 9:30 and we were their first DAS of the day been we used it at TSMM all the CMs ran over to see it by hey had not seen it in person just images at training.

We're doing okay with it so far
Old 10-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #262
ArielRae
1042 mi from WDW

So do we know when you return during your time frame how they have you enter the attraction? Guessing the FP entrance so you may have to wait that time in line too.
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2006
Pop Century - 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009(Pregnant), 2013(Solo), 2104(Mother & Son Trip)
Fort Wilderness - 2012(Tent Camping), 2013(DS's 1st Trip), 2013
Disney's Wonder - 2006
Disney's Dream - 2011
Disney's Fantasy - 2012(Thanksgiving Cruise)

Old 10-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #263
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielRae View Post
So do we know when you return during your time frame how they have you enter the attraction? Guessing the FP entrance so you may have to wait that time in line too.
Wondering this too and what about attractions that don't have FP.
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge

Old 10-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #264
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidia2 View Post
He's also reporting that the new card will allow a party of 10. I think he said that if your party is larger than 6 everyone needs to be present when the card is issued.

Also, the return times (who knows if this is the same in all parks or if it will change) at MK are being given at the rides instead of kiosks. I hope this remains the case so that we don't have to criss cross to a kiosk. It just seems easier in our case to find a seat and stay near the ride if it's a relatively short wait.
WDW return times are the attraction.
Post one of this thread was updated last night about 10:30 pm

Parties larger than 6 were allowed under the GAC, but there needed to be good reason for it - anything over 6 is an exception

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #265
Vidia2
DIS Veteran

Last edited by Vidia2; 10-15-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #266
Kay1
Check out Ricki's hidden Mickey!
The only tricky part is judging when the actual boiling begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlenhum View Post
We got ours this morning at HS. The outside GS didn't have a single person on line. We got there at 9:30 and we were their first DAS of the day been we used it at TSMM all the CMs ran over to see it by hey had not seen it in person just images at training.

How did they take the picture? Through the glass, or did someone come out with a camera, or did you have to have it taken inside?

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #267
Vidia2
DIS Veteran

Last edited by Vidia2; 10-15-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #268
Vidia2
DIS Veteran

Last edited by Vidia2; 10-15-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #269
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellykins1218 View Post
Seems more likely that they would say the cards are only needed for those with invisible disabilities "such as" autism
This is what concerns me. CM making blanket statements like that when they see my wheelchair when there are invisible disabilities as well. See wheelchair , don't need accommodation.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Old 10-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #270
NYDisneyKid
Expedition Everest Record Holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlenhum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay1 View Post
How did they take the picture? Through the glass, or did someone come out with a camera, or did you have to have it taken inside?

Thanks.
Where in ratlenhum's quote does it say anything about a picture?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: