Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #241
Kay1
Check out Ricki's hidden Mickey!
The only tricky part is judging when the actual boiling begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrebecca View Post
It has never been about telling Disney your diagnosis. It has been about telling them the needs of your family member or yourself.

To say that they will only be giving out the DAS to children with Autism just sounds silly. A) I have friends with kids on the spectrum that are so far different than my son that you wouldn't even think that they are in the same classification. Each child on the spectrum is different and has different needs. And B) these kids all turn into adults, and by saying only kids with Autism that is like saying they are cured when they are an adult.

Sorry. I wasn't trying to copy you and suppose we were posting at the same time, but it's true that some things one doesn't grow out of. If they only made this decision yesterday, maybe there's extra confusion on the part of the CM.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #242
NYDisneyKid
Expedition Everest Record Holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay1 View Post
I agree, and people, as you said, not only children, as that sort of disability doesn't disappear at age 21.
Disney says 10 and up is considered adult
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #243
Rowanonfire
Mouseketeer

I feel the OP had a valid reason for the card under the "invisible disabilty" label though given what has been said? Still a case of Disney not handling it very well. I would go back and ask to speak to a manager...
Old 10-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #244
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

They would not make a decision yesterday to only give cards for autism.

To give out cards based on only one diagnosis would not be legal. So, I'm sure something was lost on the communication.

But to get back to what was posted, most of what was mentioned is diagnosis, not needs related to disability.

I am going to move this thread to the WDW DAS thread so we can keep all experience in one place and not have 25 threads for each person reporting their experience.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #245
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night

My daughter has autism but we also use a stroller/pushchair to keep her safe in the crowded parks. I hope we will still be allowed to use a DAS?
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge

Old 10-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #246
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylvr View Post
My daughter has autism but we also use a stroller/pushchair to keep her safe in the crowded parks. I hope we will still be allowed to use a DAS?
Yes, the stroller as a wheelchair tag is still available. It is separate from the DAS.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
Old 10-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #247
Disneylvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
Yes, the stroller as a wheelchair tag is still available. It is separate from the DAS.
I guess what concerns me is that on our next trip we will be using a wheelchair/pushchair since she has outgrown the stroller and the GS CM might see that and think that is enough accommodation for her? We keep her in it 1) gives her a buffer zone and her own defined spaced 2) she elopes
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge

Old 10-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #248
2tinkerbell
Mouseketeer

First time replying, though I have been an unregistered lurker for years.

Let me say a little about our experiences:

My neurologically compromised DD and I first started going to DL when she was 8 years old. We were trying really hard to make our own adjustments, etc. We happened to run into a woman with a DD who had a seizure disorder while swimming at our hotel (trying to calm down and take a rest). This woman shared her story of their first trip and they ended up bagging the vacation and going home. It then she told us about a GAC and what a difference it was making this time around.

My sister and I discussed what kind of accommodations would work best for my DD. We went to City Hall (prior to CA) and received a GAC. We asked questions about the best way to use it and when to use it. It really bothered me at first and yes, we got some stares, but, I just figured it was the other person's problem and not ours. I made sure that my DD was respectful and courteous to the CM's. This was prior to the stamps so she needed to explain what accommodations she needed (alternative line, sitting up front, stopping the moving platform at loading, etc. according to the attraction).
It worked perfect for us, and there were times that we didn't even need to use it.

Over the years, both at WDW and DL, we have received a GAC. The last time we were at DL was the first time with the stamp. They just gave us an "arrow" stamp. That is appreciated, but, it doesn't meet all of my DD's needs. We still ended up explaining her needs according to which attraction. We have had very positive experiences, even a kind CM who explained to my DD that if she sat in the chair cross legged at ITTBAB she would enjoy it more. Visual distraction is a big thing for my DD and she learned to ask for the front or top row at Soarin' so she wasn't seeing the dangling feet.

At certain times, especially with new attractions, my DD has approached the CM and was given a time to come back. We absolutely love that! However, we were able to utilize the GAC on other attractions while waiting for our time.

The GAC hasn't been FOTL, but, it has been like a unlimited FP. At some attractions, we were moved ahead of some Guests who were waiting to board the wheelchair accessible ride vehicles. I had a nice CM explain to my DD one time that they could only accommodate so many Guests needing assistance on the ride at a time. This helped her understand the "why" to the waiting and greatly helped her.

Yes, this is a change, yes, it will be different, but, as I tell my DD, "Different is just that. Different isn't good or bad, it is just different." We will learn to utilize the DAS, just as we learned to utilize the GAC. Yes, we will make mistakes and yes, it might not work perfectly the first or second time, or even the tenth time, but, we will learn from our mistakes. We will also learn to make the adjustments that will make my DD have a positive experience. When I say "we" I mean my DD and I. I don't expect Disney to understand my DD and to make accommodations for her. They are already making the accommodation by the DAS. Disney doesn't determine our happiness, we do. We plan on using the DAS and FP when we are at Disneyland this January and having a GREAT time!

2tinkerbell
Old 10-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #249
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I guess what concerns me is that on our next trip we will be using a wheelchair/pushchair since she has outgrown the stroller and the GS CM might see that and think that is enough accommodation for her? We keep her in it 1) gives her a buffer zone and her own defined spaced 2) she elopes
You will have to explain how her needs mean she can't wait in a typical line. So far what you indicated above might be construed as accommodated simply by the stroller/wheelchair. Explain the stroller/wheelchair only accomplishes X but another concern is Y. Again, in requesting the DAS keep the conversation to her needs with regards to inability to wait in lines; not the diagnosis and not what the wheelchair does.

Enjoy your vacation!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #250
Disneylvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
You will have to explain how her needs mean she can't wait in a typical line. So far what you indicated above might be construed as accommodated simply by the stroller/wheelchair. Explain the stroller/wheelchair only accomplishes X but another concern is Y. Again, in requesting the DAS keep the conversation to her needs with regards to inability to wait in lines; not the diagnosis and not what the wheelchair does.

Enjoy your vacation!
Thanks! She has sensory related problems waiting in long, noisy, crowded lines, will try to touch people....

Old 10-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #251
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Thanks! She has sensory related problems waiting in long, noisy, crowded lines, will try to touch people....
Specify that exactly!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #252
Aladora
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tinkerbell View Post
Yes, this is a change, yes, it will be different, but, as I tell my DD, "Different is just that. Different isn't good or bad, it is just different." We will learn to utilize the DAS, just as we learned to utilize the GAC. Yes, we will make mistakes and yes, it might not work perfectly the first or second time, or even the tenth time, but, we will learn from our mistakes. We will also learn to make the adjustments that will make my DD have a positive experience. When I say "we" I mean my DD and I. I don't expect Disney to understand my DD and to make accommodations for her. They are already making the accommodation by the DAS. Disney doesn't determine our happiness, we do. We plan on using the DAS and FP when we are at Disneyland this January and having a GREAT time!

2tinkerbell

WDW next year maybe?
Old 10-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #253
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tinkerbell View Post
First time replying, though I have been an unregistered lurker for years.

Let me say a little about our experiences:

My neurologically compromised DD and I first started going to DL when she was 8 years old. We were trying really hard to make our own adjustments, etc. We happened to run into a woman with a DD who had a seizure disorder while swimming at our hotel (trying to calm down and take a rest). This woman shared her story of their first trip and they ended up bagging the vacation and going home. It then she told us about a GAC and what a difference it was making this time around.

My sister and I discussed what kind of accommodations would work best for my DD. We went to City Hall (prior to CA) and received a GAC. We asked questions about the best way to use it and when to use it. It really bothered me at first and yes, we got some stares, but, I just figured it was the other person's problem and not ours. I made sure that my DD was respectful and courteous to the CM's. This was prior to the stamps so she needed to explain what accommodations she needed (alternative line, sitting up front, stopping the moving platform at loading, etc. according to the attraction).
It worked perfect for us, and there were times that we didn't even need to use it.

Over the years, both at WDW and DL, we have received a GAC. The last time we were at DL was the first time with the stamp. They just gave us an "arrow" stamp. That is appreciated, but, it doesn't meet all of my DD's needs. We still ended up explaining her needs according to which attraction. We have had very positive experiences, even a kind CM who explained to my DD that if she sat in the chair cross legged at ITTBAB she would enjoy it more. Visual distraction is a big thing for my DD and she learned to ask for the front or top row at Soarin' so she wasn't seeing the dangling feet.

At certain times, especially with new attractions, my DD has approached the CM and was given a time to come back. We absolutely love that! However, we were able to utilize the GAC on other attractions while waiting for our time.

The GAC hasn't been FOTL, but, it has been like a unlimited FP. At some attractions, we were moved ahead of some Guests who were waiting to board the wheelchair accessible ride vehicles. I had a nice CM explain to my DD one time that they could only accommodate so many Guests needing assistance on the ride at a time. This helped her understand the "why" to the waiting and greatly helped her.

2tinkerbell
Thank you for this thoughtfully written post.
You've given me much to positively ponder, and I am very appreciative!

TY Kook!
Old 10-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #254
Badamon
Mouseketeer

Sample DAS Card

I have shared below links of DAS pics that I found today. Hope it's helpful to you. I also hope I've done this correctly as I've never posted pics before. Please let me know if I've done anything incorrectly so that I'll know for the future (and so I can correct!). Thanks

https://twitter.com/WDWNT/status/387...017728/photo/1

https://twitter.com/WDWNT/status/388...544704/photo/1

Old 10-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #255
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badamon View Post
It is interesting that the card in the photo is good from today till October 22. That's substantially longer than previous information has indicated they'd offer them for, isn't it? I first heard "one day only", then multi-day with proof of length of stay... but I thought even that was predicted to have limits.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: