Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #1756
babyberger
DIS Veteran

I'm pretty sure I've posted about this before but we've been back a few times now and each trip it gets easier to navigate the DAS and FP+. I have found that I rely more heavily on FP+ than the DAS. Our last trip I only had a few times filled out and we used it a couple more times with rides with short waits where the CM's allows us to enter the FP+ line w/o a return time.

What has changed for us is that we don't go on as many rides anymore and very rarely ride back to back anymore, as FL residents, that is okay but still disappointing for my ASD son. We also has to start carrying a bag again. As the kids are now a little older (8 & 10) we were able to carry just basics with us into the park without the need for any type of tote/backpack, etc. but now that there is more waiting we have allowed my son to have his DS and iPod with him, which means more for mommy to carry

But overall we have kept an open mind and positive attitude to the changes and are doing the best we can to make the DAS work for us.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds

Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
Old 04-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #1757
mrsmomo
DIS Veteran

I have a question regarding this card. I have a titanium rod in my leg and on the first day its fine but it swells and hurts as the days progress. What is the policy on this?

Me DH DD DS

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #1758
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmomo
I have a question regarding this card. I have a titanium rod in my leg and on the first day its fine but it swells and hurts as the days progress. What is the policy on this?
If you check out the first few posts of thus sticky, the basic details are outlined there.
WDW's policy on mobility or stamina issues is to suggest the guest use a wheelchair or ECV. Unless you have other needs specifically impacting your ability to wait within a queue, you will not qualify for a DAS. You might want to consider an off-site rental.
Enjoy your vacation!
Old 04-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #1759
CUGrad
Earning My Ears

I wrote on here with questions before so I wanted to give a report about our experience with the card. We just finished 5 days in 3 of the parks with our DD who has CP and is in a wheelchair. I was super worried before we went about how things were going to go with the changes to the pass. We decided to take our first day and make it a more leisurely late afternoon day so that there wouldn't be pressure with everyone excited to get moving and needing to stop at, what could be, a lengthy experience at Guest Relations. The CM at guest relations was really nice and explained that FP+ and Stand-by lines should accommodate us. I explained issues with waiting in really long lines. Cognitively, the ability to wait 15-20 minutes without a complete meltdown is about her limit. Based on the information I read here, I really thought about why we would need the card. It was a good thing for me to understand going into it. I knew that she'd have problems but couldn't articulate why until I really thought it through and even talked to her therapists and teachers. As I read here, it's about the needs, not the diagnosis.

Card in hand we set out to use our first FP+ which I'd set up in advance since they'd just opened that up to non-resort guests. In 5 days, including 2 at MK, 2 at DHS, and 1 at Epcot, we used the pass 5 times. We rode every ride she wanted and saw every show. We made this happen through three things - strategic use of the FP+, the DAS, and using a touring plan (this is equally important, IMO). The DAS was used on Toy Story and Soarin (2x each) because of the impossible wait times and not being able to get a FP+. We had multiple interactions with CMs who were all incredibly helpful along the way.

The system is absolutely not perfect. Many times the joke in our party was the line from Titanic about them getting a "strongly worded letter" once we get home. We will be doing that, as will one of the care providers who came with us. I addressed one issue on the day of but it was not related to the DAS. I was admonished by a CM at the turnstiles for having my daughter use her finger for admittance. Anyway, not related to DAS. Hopefully it is all growing pains with this new system.

Today is a quiet pool and shopping day before we head home. Thanks everyone for the information before our trip! If you happened to be in the parks this week and saw the goofy group with the matching sweet 16 birthday t-shirts in pink or blue (which Princess Aurora loved for color choices alone), that was us!

Old 04-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #1760
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUGrad View Post
I wrote on here with questions before so I wanted to give a report about our experience with the card. We just finished 5 days in 3 of the parks with our DD who has CP and is in a wheelchair. I was super worried before we went about how things were going to go with the changes to the pass. We decided to take our first day and make it a more leisurely late afternoon day so that there wouldn't be pressure with everyone excited to get moving and needing to stop at, what could be, a lengthy experience at Guest Relations. The CM at guest relations was really nice and explained that FP+ and Stand-by lines should accommodate us. I explained issues with waiting in really long lines. Cognitively, the ability to wait 15-20 minutes without a complete meltdown is about her limit. Based on the information I read here, I really thought about why we would need the card. It was a good thing for me to understand going into it. I knew that she'd have problems but couldn't articulate why until I really thought it through and even talked to her therapists and teachers. As I read here, it's about the needs, not the diagnosis.

Card in hand we set out to use our first FP+ which I'd set up in advance since they'd just opened that up to non-resort guests. In 5 days, including 2 at MK, 2 at DHS, and 1 at Epcot, we used the pass 5 times. We rode every ride she wanted and saw every show. We made this happen through three things - strategic use of the FP+, the DAS, and using a touring plan (this is equally important, IMO). The DAS was used on Toy Story and Soarin (2x each) because of the impossible wait times and not being able to get a FP+. We had multiple interactions with CMs who were all incredibly helpful along the way.

The system is absolutely not perfect. Many times the joke in our party was the line from Titanic about them getting a "strongly worded letter" once we get home. We will be doing that, as will one of the care providers who came with us. I addressed one issue on the day of but it was not related to the DAS. I was admonished by a CM at the turnstiles for having my daughter use her finger for admittance. Anyway, not related to DAS. Hopefully it is all growing pains with this new system.

Today is a quiet pool and shopping day before we head home. Thanks everyone for the information before our trip! If you happened to be in the parks this week and saw the goofy group with the matching sweet 16 birthday t-shirts in pink or blue (which Princess Aurora loved for color choices alone), that was us!

About 4 times when we had issues with using DD's finger for admission, a CM suggested one of us use our finger instead. I would not use the word "admonished" in any of our interactions, but don't know how our interaction were different than yours. Honestly, I think the CMs are trying to be helpful, but have not thought the suggestion through and can come off a bit insistive because they are trying to hurry.

Several years ago, my husband did scan his finger for DD when we entered; it worked well that time and the next time we entered. Then DD and I park hopped without my husband. Since her finger scan didn't match what was in the computer and the pass had already been used to enter a park, we kind of got the third degree. Luckily, I had both our ID, so could prove the pass was hers.

A helpful CM on this trip noticed DD's finger had slid across the reader. He suggested lining her finger up and then placing it straight down on the pad. That worked much better because apparently it starts recording a picture as soon as a finger touches down. A 'sliding' touch produces a blurry picture that won't match.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 04-12-2014, 06:19 AM   #1761
CUGrad
Earning My Ears

We had the nice experience you talked about when entering the park a couple of times. Basically suggesting that I use my finger for her. This one time at DHS, admonished was the correct word. Unfortunately it went beyond helpful suggestion. We later discovered that the problem was my daughter had slid 2 fingers on. Once we figured that out it was smooth sailing. Other times that we had an issue a Guest Relations CM was there to address it and send us on our way into the park. This is a part of Disney's process that doesn't always work for some people with limited motor skills. Your situation, Sue, shows how it can really mess things up. I explained that to them at Guest Relations and they said they hadn't really thought of that. I didn't go out of my way to say anything about this. We had a huge mix-up with our tickets that caused us to spend close to an hour in GR. It was just part of our conversation.

I was so happy with all the many things that Disney did right because all of the changes (DAS, FP+, techie new stuff) had me worried before our trip. They definitely have some bugs to work out with all of those. But overall it was the usual magical Disney experience I have come to expect with a little hiccups here and there and more planning on my part.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #1762
MVC1225
Mouseketeer

What, if any, is the policy for using the DAS with a ride in soft opening? I ask because we are going in a few weeks and the mine train may be in soft openings while we are there.
Future Trips: October 2014 - AS Sports; January 2015 - Fort Wilderness

Old 04-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #1763
homeschoolmomof4
Keep moving forward

So our situation is that the three of us that are going(my mother, my daughter and myself) all have Ehlers-Danlos. We all have issues with conveyor belt rides that require us to go from a moving belt to a non moving surface, stairs. We obviously won't be doing big thrill type of rides, but even things like getting out of the cars for Spaceship Earth and going from conveyor belt to another surface can cause us to dislocate if we're not careful. Can the DAS help us get the ride slowed down, particularly for my elderly mother, so she has more time to embark and disembark a ride? My daughter also has the added complication of POTS so standing long periods of time can cause her to faint. We're already planning on going during a slow time in January to avoid lines and we're proficient with FP+, so I'm not terribly worried about the POTS. I'm more concerned about the darned conveyor belts.

Pop Century January 2015 Pop Century December 2013 Pop Century October 2012 Pop Century December 2011 Pop Century December 2010 Contemporary March 2010-Parents only trip!! Pop Century December 2009 Pop Century January 2009 Wilderness Lodge January 2008 Wilderness Lodge February 2007 Contemporary February 2005

Old 04-15-2014, 10:31 PM   #1764
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC1225 View Post
What, if any, is the policy for using the DAS with a ride in soft opening? I ask because we are going in a few weeks and the mine train may be in soft openings while we are there.
The issue with most soft openings is that you can't guarantee that the attraction will be running at any specific time. It is very hit or miss. So I am not too sure how well a DAS would work since there will be a higher then average possibility of the ride no longer running once the time is up.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

Old 04-15-2014, 10:37 PM   #1765
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschoolmomof4 View Post
So our situation is that the three of us that are going(my mother, my daughter and myself) all have Ehlers-Danlos. We all have issues with conveyor belt rides that require us to go from a moving belt to a non moving surface, stairs. We obviously won't be doing big thrill type of rides, but even things like getting out of the cars for Spaceship Earth and going from conveyor belt to another surface can cause us to dislocate if we're not careful. Can the DAS help us get the ride slowed down, particularly for my elderly mother, so she has more time to embark and disembark a ride? My daughter also has the added complication of POTS so standing long periods of time can cause her to faint. We're already planning on going during a slow time in January to avoid lines and we're proficient with FP+, so I'm not terribly worried about the POTS. I'm more concerned about the darned conveyor belts.
I believe for issues like having the belts slowed or stopped that those are handled AT the attraction. A DAS is for issues that would keep a person from being able to stand in line at all, minus issues for mobility and stamina. So it wouldn't do anything for needing the belts slowed/stopped.

When you get to that point of the attraction, just speak to the CM.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

Old 04-16-2014, 12:16 AM   #1766
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
The issue with most soft openings is that you can't guarantee that the attraction will be running at any specific time. It is very hit or miss. So I am not too sure how well a DAS would work since there will be a higher then average possibility of the ride no longer running once the time is up.
I agree with this.
I know when the Little Mermaid ride in New Fantasyland opened, it would sometimes be open for only a very short time.
They would gather a few people to ride, have them go and then close it again.
It could be open for a few minutes or a few hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
I believe for issues like having the belts slowed or stopped that those are handled AT the attraction. A DAS is for issues that would keep a person from being able to stand in line at all, minus issues for mobility and stamina. So it wouldn't do anything for needing the belts slowed/stopped.

When you get to that point of the attraction, just speak to the CM.
Also agree with this.
DAS is for issues having to do with waiting in the traditional line; the only accommodation the DAS gives is that the user gets a Return Time so that their waiting for the attraction is done outside of the line.

Issues like boarding, where to be seated, etc. are handled at the attraction by talking to the CM.
ALSO, be aware that they will slow the moving walkway, but very seldom stop it entirely. One of the reasons is that when rides are actually stopped, even for a short period, there is concern that guests on the attraction may try to stand up or get out of their ride car. So stopping entirely is avoided as much as possible.

If readers have not checked out post one of this thread, it is a DAS FAQs and can explain a lot about how DAS works.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 04-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #1767
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

I have a question regarding the stroller as a wheelchair. DD has developmental delays and she is not yet standing solidly or walking. She's 21 months and about to start crawling. I cannot hold her for long periods of time any more...DH could hold her a bit longer, but even then she's getting long and heavy and difficult to carry for long (like waiting for a ride). There's no other reason, though, that would prevent her (or us) from waiting in the regular line. She is fine in crowds, noise doesn't bother her, etc. Right now her only dx is the delays - no specific cause. After reading the first post, am I correct in thinking that the most appropriate accommodation for her would be the stroller as a wheelchair card (rather than the DAS)?

I don't know exactly when we're taking DD next, and obviously I hope that she will be walking and standing by then and this will be a non-issue. She's made a lot of strides in the past 2 months, and it's been very exciting for us. I just want to know what our options would be if we did decide to take a trip with her soon, and she weren't yet standing/walking. Thanks!

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Old 04-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #1768
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Yes, the stroller as a wheelchair will absolutely be your best way to go. It 100% meets your needs from what you've said.

Once she's walking, if she still has trunk strength and/or endurance issues then the stroller as a wheelchair tag may still be an appropriate accommodation to cut down on her walking.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
Old 04-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #1769
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
Yes, the stroller as a wheelchair will absolutely be your best way to go. It 100% meets your needs from what you've said.

Once she's walking, if she still has trunk strength and/or endurance issues then the stroller as a wheelchair tag may still be an appropriate accommodation to cut down on her walking.
Thank you very much! I just read the first post again, and I have a few questions.

Are the stroller as wheelchair cards available at Guest Relations outside the park, or do you have to go to GR in a park?

Also, am I correct in reading the first post and thinking that our entire party will be able to stay together in a mainstreamed line (whether SB or FP+) as long as the line is WC accessible? What happens at attractions where the main lines aren't WC accessible and there is a separate mobility entrance? Would our entire party be allowed to be together? I saw the rules regarding how many people the DAS would be issued for, but since we wouldn't have a DAS since we just need the stroller as wheelchair, I wasn't sure if it was handled differently?

(Please note I am in no way trying to get specialized access or anything...it's not about wait time, we're just likely to be there with my parents and possibly my brother's family and we don't like to split up and spend time apart. We obviously would if we needed to, I'm just trying to understand the rules.)

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Old 04-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #1770
Skip2MyLou
Mouseketeer

I have scanned through the first page, and tried to search. I'm sure these questions have already been asked but I can't find them.

My mom had a mild heart attack last Friday night. We leave for Disney in 11 days. We have spoken to her doctor in depth regarding this trip. He has cleared her to go with a few restrictions. His main concerns are the heat and the rides. The rides we are ok with, as my mom doesn't ride anything bigger than PoC.

Will the DAS card help her with the heat? I thought the old GAC allowed for waiting areas in air conditioning, but from what I'm understanding this is different, right? Basically she would get a return time and then she could go to other indoor rides or shops to pass the time. Am I understanding this correctly? I don't want to waste time at Guest Services getting the card if it isn't necessary.

The other issue is our party size. 6 including the guest with the DAS card,right? We have 7, plus 2 under age 2, so 9 total. We do not plan on staying together all of the time, but there are just a few things that we wanted to do as group, like Dumbo.

Any advice is appreciated. I know we are very lucky to have not had to deal with this on our past trips. I just want to make this one a good one for Mom

Disney College of Knowledge Graduate - June 2013
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: