DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
babesboo99
Veteren Disney Vacationer
 
babesboo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 712

how to become a co owner?

I was curious on what a person needs to do to become a co owner
__________________
Zombie Hunter.....
babesboo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
rowlands57
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 76

Do you mean on an existing contract? If so then you have to file paperwork to add to the deed. If you contact MS they can help and it costs over $500 as I recall.
rowlands57 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 45,889

But if there is a loan, that has to be paid off before you do this. From what I understand.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlands57 View Post
Do you mean on an existing contract? If so then you have to file paperwork to add to the deed. If you contact MS they can help and it costs over $500 as I recall.
One can be added as an associate but you don't get the perks. Otherwise it's simply being added to the deed. It can be done for under $50 and can be had, done by someone else, for less than $150 for a single contract assuming VB or WDW. $500 for this situation is literally highway robbery.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
babesboo99
Veteren Disney Vacationer
 
babesboo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 712

it would be for BCV. my daughter is the purchaser but I was wondering how I would become the co owner when I call my guide tomorrow. do I just ask him
babesboo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Lynne M
 
Lynne M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 9,044
DISboards Moderator

This would be something your daughter would have to initiate, I think. Your guide can tell you about the process.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by babesboo99 View Post
it would be for BCV. my daughter is the purchaser but I was wondering how I would become the co owner when I call my guide tomorrow. do I just ask him
Unless you plan to do an add on and can talk them into changing the deed as part of the process or buy enough points for a separate contract, I don't think your guide can help. Email MS and ask them to send you the forms and instructions, they'll forward to Member Admin who will email you the forms and info as attachments.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
DizBub
Totally Addicted
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 1,958

Sorry if I'm hi-jacking the thread but this is something that fits my immediate situation.

We just got home from a family trip (11:45 last night). We own some points at BCV but we stayed at BWV. My son-in-law wants to buy 25 points at BCV, just to get a foot in the door. 25 points is all they can afford to pay cash right now and I know the minimum for a new owner is a lot more. So he asked if we could buy a 25 point add-on but have all our names on the contract. Then they will add-on when they can afford to. We have determined that they will be getting our BCV contract when the time comes and he wants to be able to buy APs, TIW, etc, right now. They would pay the MFs on the jointly owned points.

I know this would mean we would have 2 different memberships. Other than that does anyone have any other issues that we haven't considered? Can this even be done?
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,826

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub View Post
Sorry if I'm hi-jacking the thread but this is something that fits my immediate situation.

We just got home from a family trip (11:45 last night). We own some points at BCV but we stayed at BWV. My son-in-law wants to buy 25 points at BCV, just to get a foot in the door. 25 points is all they can afford to pay cash right now and I know the minimum for a new owner is a lot more. So he asked if we could buy a 25 point add-on but have all our names on the contract. Then they will add-on when they can afford to. We have determined that they will be getting our BCV contract when the time comes and he wants to be able to buy APs, TIW, etc, right now. They would pay the MFs on the jointly owned points.

I know this would mean we would have 2 different memberships. Other than that does anyone have any other issues that we haven't considered? Can this even be done?
You can't buy an add-on with different names on the deed. It has to be titled exactly the same as your other deed. But you could buy it and then transfer it to your SIL. You would have a different membership number and you would have to buy the minimum for a new membership (100, 160, whatever it is these days).
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
DizBub
Totally Addicted
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 1,958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
You can't buy an add-on with different names on the deed. It has to be titled exactly the same as your other deed. But you could buy it and then transfer it to your SIL. You would have a different membership number and you would have to buy the minimum for a new membership (100, 160, whatever it is these days).
Thanks for the reply. This is what I was afraid of.....I guess I just got caught up in the SIL's enthusiasm, he's really enjoying the whole DVC experience. I am glad they are realistically considering what they can and cannot afford.

Thanks again.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 45,889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post

You can't buy an add-on with different names on the deed. It has to be titled exactly the same as your other deed. But you could buy it and then transfer it to your SIL. You would have a different membership number and you would have to buy the minimum for a new membership (100, 160, whatever it is these days).
Can't the son in law buy 25 points via resale though? That gets them in the door as owners. Or am I misremembering?
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,826

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Can't the son in law buy 25 points via resale though? That gets them in the door as owners. Or am I misremembering?
Sure, if he can find a contract for 25 points at BCV.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
DizBub
Totally Addicted
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 1,958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Sure, if he can find a contract for 25 points at BCV.
This would be the rub.

Already discussed and pretty much dismissed as a virtual impossibility.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #14
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub View Post
This would be the rub.

Already discussed and pretty much dismissed as a virtual impossibility.
Buy it in your name retail THEN change the deed to include the SIL Not difficult and total cost less than $50 if you do it yourself. Who cares if it takes a few months to complete in this situation. Ask your guide if they'll do it but other than one time several years ago, I haven't heard anyone who was successful getting different names on less than the usual buy in amount. Since they've allowed buy ins as low as 50 pts, you could try that as well. Personally, I'd only encourage them to do this if they could pay cash and didn't have other consumer debt.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.