Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
DisneyDonna62
Earning My Ears

Great information

Hi all, thanks for all the info.

Luckyman, yes that was it exactly. Booked southwest, flying southwest home, but had flown the first leg to orlando on air tran.

Great idea to book separate flights, not round trip. I will be doing this from now on. But, it is easier to book a round trip, no? More work because they can't get their act together. Ugh. I will check ALL other airlines before SWA/airTran. It was ugly this am at 5:45, but feeling better rested now!

DisneyDonna62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #17
helenk
BL II - Purple Team>
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
Loves Monk, and Peeps,

I stayed at OKW last December, I used RAC and Magical Express flew SW and I had no problems. Your flight down should have no bearing on checking in at the RAC desk for your flight back. I've flown USairways down and Southwest home and no problems.

Offsite 6/83,5/87
ASSP 7/95 & 11/08, GF 9/99, YC 11/01, WL 12/02 & 9/09 POR 9/03, POFQ 6/04, 12/04, & 5/06 POLY 6/04 & 12/05, POP 12/04, ASMU 7/05,10/07 & 12/07, AKL 12/06, CBR 5/07, CSR 5/08, SSR 11/08, CR 1/09, DLH 5/09, AKV 6/09, ASSP 10/09, ASSP&AKV 12/09, BCV 9/10, VWL 12/10, AKV 1/11 AKV/DCL 5/11 VWL&AKV 12/11, AKV 5/12,SSR 10/12, OKW 12/12, AKV 5/13, HHI 6/13,VWL 12/13, VCG 5/14, Hollywood Hotel, Hong Kong 5/14, AKV 8/14

helenk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #18
That Mom
Mouseketeer

I am so happy to have found this thread, it could save me a lot of aggravation. I want to be clear, though, on what to expect.
We booked round trip through Southwest website but the flight is "operated by AirTran". So, we will not be able to check our bag at Beach Club and will have to take it and check it at MCO, correct? Does it matter if we give the AirTran flight number vs the Southwest?
Most importantly, this issue does not affect the picking up and delivery TO our resort, right?
Old 09-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #19
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenk View Post
I stayed at OKW last December, I used RAC and Magical Express flew SW and I had no problems. Your flight down should have no bearing on checking in at the RAC desk for your flight back. I've flown USairways down and Southwest home and no problems.
If you flew us air down....then you were ON 2 1 ONE WAY flights as I have suggested. Also since your flight was southwest, it's not an issue. It's only an issue with AirTran operated flights. It has to do with the SW/AirTran merger
Old 09-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #20
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Mom View Post
I am so happy to have found this thread, it could save me a lot of aggravation. I want to be clear, though, on what to expect.
We booked round trip through Southwest website but the flight is "operated by AirTran". So, we will not be able to check our bag at Beach Club and will have to take it and check it at MCO, correct? Does it matter if we give the AirTran flight number vs the Southwest?
Most importantly, this issue does not affect the picking up and delivery TO our resort, right?
Correct, you will have to carry your bags and check them in at the airport. If your flights are still the same price as when you booked, you can cancel rebook as 1 way flights through SW...as southwest doesn't charge change fees. It does not affect deliver to your room upon arrival. Only checking luggage on departure.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #21
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDonna62 View Post
Hi all, thanks for all the info.

Luckyman, yes that was it exactly. Booked southwest, flying southwest home, but had flown the first leg to orlando on air tran.

Great idea to book separate flights, not round trip. I will be doing this from now on. But, it is easier to book a round trip, no? More work because they can't get their act together. Ugh. I will check ALL other airlines before SWA/airTran. It was ugly this am at 5:45, but feeling better rested now!

Not too much extra hassle to book 1 ways. A little extra clicking and typing, but Id rather check my bags at the resort than airport. We use SW almost exclusively (unless spirit out of atlantic city has an unbelievable deal as they sometimes do) out of Philly or Baltimore. Nobody ever comes close to there fares.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #22
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Be aware that if you book other airlines one way and have to change, you are going to get hit with change fees twice. Not an issue with SW one ways because no change fees.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #23
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Be aware that if you book other airlines one way and have to change, you are going to get hit with change fees twice. Not an issue with SW one ways because no change fees.
True....my suggestion of booking one ways is ONLY when booking SW
Old 09-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #24
Spoiledraf
Mouseketeer

Oh how I wish I had read all this before I booked Airtran through SW. We wanted the free baggage and a non stop (only available on airtran flights) So now I will be worrying about all this until we finish our trip. We will only check one bag but I hate not knowing what is going to happen. And what flight number do you give to ME for reference? SW adds a "5" to the front of the flight number. Hope that doesn't add more headaches.
Spoiledraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #25
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiledraf View Post
Oh how I wish I had read all this before I booked Airtran through SW. We wanted the free baggage and a non stop (only available on airtran flights) So now I will be worrying about all this until we finish our trip. We will only check one bag but I hate not knowing what is going to happen. And what flight number do you give to ME for reference? SW adds a "5" to the front of the flight number. Hope that doesn't add more headaches.
It's not that big a deal to worry about. If you have to take your luggage to the airport to check-in, if the line inside is long, go outside to curbside check. Tipping a couple bucks is worth it. Then you'll be on your way.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #26
Spoiledraf
Mouseketeer

Yea your absolutely right. I'm a worrier by habit. Always lookin for that half empty glass What can I say!
Spoiledraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #27
tebookie
WDW FAN

Also keep in mind the timing.

I believe Resort Airline Check in with luggage has to be done 3 hours before your flight departure time. That way they allow plenty of time for your luggage to arrive at the airport.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #28
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebookie View Post
Also keep in mind the timing.

I believe Resort Airline Check in with luggage has to be done 3 hours before your flight departure time. That way they allow plenty of time for your luggage to arrive at the airport.
That's what I figured the issue was.

rlduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #29
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

It has to be done AT LEAST 3 hours before. It can be done earlier. We tend to take late flights home (they usually are cheaper, and we like to get that last day in the park feeling) and I check my bags around 8 am even for 9pm flights.

It's more of an inconvienence, but DME usually gets you to the airport with plenty of time to check you bags. It's just more stuff to carry in from the bus. If you have already booked a round trip, it's worth a look to cancel and rebook on the SW site if the flight prices are the same. I can't tell you how much the no change fee policy on SW is better than ANY other airline. Once I booked my flight on the wrong date. Noticed it quickly and rebooked. Prices were the same, so it just uses the credit from the old flight......but man would I have been screwed if it was Orbits, expedia, or some other airline website.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #30
icicle
Mouseketeer

Maybe I am misunderstanding the issue but we flew a few weeks ago. We stayed at POR. Flying down and back our direct flights were booked round trip though Southwest but operated by Airtran. We used RAC at our resort to send our bags to the airport with no issues. Just wanted to share my experience.

icicle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvc, old key west, southwest airline, travel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: