DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
g.armor
Earning My Ears

Question Resale for Buy-In, Direct for Add-On?

I really cannot see buying in Direct. From everything I've read, heard, and know, it would be a no-brainer to buy in through resale market. I have a question for you experts, though.

Set-up Hypothetical Example:
I want to stay in a 2BR B/PV at BWV once every three years, checking in Sunday and checking out Saturday. Using the 2014 points chart, I would need 227 points for this stay. Assuming I could find 75 points on the resale market, that would leave me 2 points shy every 3 years. Can I add on a miniscule amount of points through DVC? And I'm not talking even it having to be 1 point. It could be 1-20.

The main question is, "Will DVC sell a small quantity of points as add-on points?"

Thanks!
g.armor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
erionm
DIS Veteran

The minimum add-on direct from DVC is 25 points.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
g.armor
Earning My Ears

So even if I can't get the EXACT amount I want, I CAN add on Direct to a resale contract?
Old 09-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.armor View Post
So even if I can't get the EXACT amount I want, I CAN add on Direct to a resale contract?
Yes. You can add-on either direct or by resale.

A resale add-on would need to be for the same UY and titled exactly the same way as the previous contract(s) in order for DVC to add that purchase to your existing membership.

If you add-on direct from DVC, they will sell you the same UY and add it to your existing membership.

If you have a mix of direct and resale points, only the points purchased direct will have access to the Disney Collection, Concierge Collection and Adventurer Collection. Resale points will be restricted to only the DVC Resorts and World Passport (RCI, Club Intrawest & Club Cordial) exchanges.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I really cannot see buying in Direct. From everything I've read, heard, and know, it would be a no-brainer to buy in through resale market. I have a question for you experts, though.

Set-up Hypothetical Example:
I want to stay in a 2BR B/PV at BWV once every three years, checking in Sunday and checking out Saturday. Using the 2014 points chart, I would need 227 points for this stay. Assuming I could find 75 points on the resale market, that would leave me 2 points shy every 3 years. Can I add on a miniscule amount of points through DVC? And I'm not talking even it having to be 1 point. It could be 1-20.

The main question is, "Will DVC sell a small quantity of points as add-on points?"

Thanks!
Or, you could buy 2 points for one year's use @ the 7 month point from Disney for $15 each.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
g.armor
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Or, you could buy 2 points for one year's use @ the 7 month point from Disney for $15 each.
You can only buy like that at the 7-month mark? Does that mean I would also have to wait until the 7-month mark to make my reservation? $15/point sounds reasonable.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Just to be clear you are talking separate contracts, titled the same, same UY, same resort, one member account, points can be combined to book a room.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You can only buy like that at the 7-month mark? Does that mean I would also have to wait until the 7-month mark to make my reservation? $15/point sounds reasonable.
DVC sells one-time-use vacation points which can be purchased if you need more points to complete a reservation. You can purchase up to 24 on a single transaction once per UY. For DVC Resort reservations, you can only purchase them at 7 months or less from check-in.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
g.armor
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by erionm View Post
A resale add-on would need to be for the same UY and titled exactly the same way as the previous contract(s) in order for DVC to add that purchase to your existing membership.
Is this difficult to get? I know nothing about this. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Is this difficult to get? I know nothing about this. Thanks.
what do you mean? if i bought a resale with an oct UY titled in my name only back in 2007 and then i buy another resale now with an oct UY titled in my name only, the new contract will be treated as an add-on to my original contract.

the 2 contracts would essentially function as one contract if they were for the same home resort.

it's not difficult, but if you buy a second contract with a different UY month, it will never be an "add-on" to your original contract, but rather a separate membership.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
g.armor
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94

what do you mean?
When I ask if it is difficult, I mean is it usually difficult to find one with the exact use year and the points you are looking for.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #12
chalee94

Quote:
When I ask if it is difficult, I mean is it usually difficult to find one with the exact use year and the points you are looking for.
for smaller contracts (25-75 pts), yes, it can be difficult to find exactly the right contract. smaller contracts tend to sell for a higher per-point price as well.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #13
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
If it's only a couple of points you could make your reservation less one night at 11 months and then at 7 months attempt to add the additional night with the purchase of the one time use points.

Or you can also look to get a transfer of BWV points from another owner prior to 11 months out and then you could book the reservation. You would probably have to transfer in more than a couple of points though as there is a limit of 1 transfer per UY and most owners don't want to use that one transfer up on just a few points.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #14
g.armor
Earning My Ears

Transferring of points...I've only recently learned of this option. How do I find someone that will transfer points?
Old 09-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #15
chalee94

Quote:
Transferring of points...I've only recently learned of this option. How do I find someone that will transfer points?
some offer transfers on the rent/trade board on the DIS. there are also other internet forums with DVC owners who offer transfers.

there are restrictions on transfers that don't apply to rentals (one transfer per UY, either in or out but not both) so it can be a challenge to find transfers sometimes but it's worth looking.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: