DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #16
shpdem
Mouseketeer

how hard is it to get resorts other than home resort at 7 months out for non peak season?

shpdem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #17
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpdem View Post
how hard is it to get resorts other than home resort at 7 months out for non peak season?
how do you define "non peak season"? the period from food and wine festival in the fall to new year's eve is peak season for DVC bookings and getting something other than SSR, OKW or AKV-savanna view at 7 months is a challenge. if you are booking early february, then you should have more options.

but again, BLT-lake view is much easier to get than BLT-standard villas, and BWV-preferred villas are easier than BWV-standard or boardwalk views...and 1BRs can be easier to get than studios or 2BRs...so there are a number of variables to consider.

if you really want a certain room type at a certain resort (and are going to complain about being "stuck" at SSR because BCV wasn't available like you expected at 7 months), you ought to buy where you want to stay and book at 10-11 months out.

more info is here:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=24

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #18
jennib5426
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have owned at SSR for almost 6 years and I have stayed there once.
We have had great luck getting what we want over the years.
We have stayed in every DVC resort except BWV, and we have stayed in all size rooms and all different times of year.
The only reason we haven't stayed at BWV is because we have always been able to get BWV when we wanted it.

We liked every DVC resort, as long as it has a pool the kids are happy.

So my thoughts on purchasing is get the most points you can for the amount of money you can afford to spend.

Be flexable and open minded when booking DVC and you will never be dissapointed.

Our family has grown and the 160 SSR points I bought 6 years ago is not enough anymore. I am hoping to add on another 50 points soon.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #19
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
You need to realize that past availability is not indicative of what will be available tomorrow. If you really don't care where you stay buy anywhere.

You will see some posts of frustrated people checking every day for availability, hoping that their waitlist comes through, doing split stays because they couldn't get what they want.

You need to decide what's more important, spending some extra money now to get what you want or taking your chances on booking at 7 months.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #20
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
You need to realize that past availability is not indicative of what will be available tomorrow.
There are no guarantees, but I think past availability is probably a pretty darn good indicator.
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #21
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighoo93 View Post
There are no guarantees, but I think past availability is probably a pretty darn good indicator.
That's what owners thought before Food and Wine, Flower and Garden, Star Wars Weekend, and all of the Marathons.

30 to 50 years is a long time and a lot can happen during your ownership.

Each buyer needs to decide for themselves if they don't care where they stay. Your choice is to maybe spend a few thousand dollars more to guarantee their favorite resort availability or save some money and take a chance.

A few thousand more is a drop in the bucket compared to the hundreds of thousands that you may spend if you keep your contracts to term.

Bill

Old 09-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #22
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
That's what owners thought before Food and Wine, Flower and Garden, Star Wars Weekend, and all of the Marathons.
So it appears you would agree with me that availability is likely to be tighter during the Food and Wine Festival than early September. And that December through New Year's is going to be a popular time for booking DVC resorts. We can't say for sure that someone will be able to book a specific room during a specific week in the future, but you can get a pretty darn good idea of that likelihood based on past availability. dsruba (and I) have been tracking availability at every resort and room type for a while now. I think people would be wise to take that information into account in their decision, using the link that was provided earlier in this thread.

Quote:
30 to 50 years is a long time and a lot can happen during your ownership.
Well, of course. I can't imagine making a decision to spend thousands of extra dollars today on the possibility that I might not be able to book a room I want 40 years from now!!! But you said "tomorrow", so while I did not assume you meant literally one day out, I was not talking about 30+ years from now either.

Quote:
A few thousand more is a drop in the bucket compared to the hundreds of thousands that you may spend if you keep your contracts to term.
That's one way to look at it. Another is that a few thousand dollars today is real money that could be spent on any number of things, or invested and turn into a heck of a lot more over the life of the contract. If it buys you additional value for DVC priority booking, great. If not, it is little more than flushing money away.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #23
disneynutz

My position still stands, buy anywhere and take a chance or buy where you love to stay and get what you want.

Bill

Old 09-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #24
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
So it appears you would agree with me that availability is likely to be tighter during the Food and Wine Festival than early September.
I think his point is that you shouldn't count on that always being true. All that has to happen is for Disney to come up with a new festival or promotion or party or whatnot and now the time you counted on being easy to book is now booked solid at 9 months out.

You just don't know what Disney is going to do. Times that were really low attendance years ago are now super popular because of F&W, Star Wars weekends, etc.

So the bottom line is that buying at a resort you don't mind staying at if everything else is booked is a very good idea, unless you have the most flexible lifestyle in the world and can always adapt to Disney's changes.
dmunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #25
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunsil View Post
I think his point is that you shouldn't count on that always being true. All that has to happen is for Disney to come up with a new festival or promotion or party or whatnot and now the time you counted on being easy to book is now booked solid at 9 months out.

You just don't know what Disney is going to do. Times that were really low attendance years ago are now super popular because of F&W, Star Wars weekends, etc.

So the bottom line is that buying at a resort you don't mind staying at if everything else is booked is a very good idea, unless you have the most flexible lifestyle in the world and can always adapt to Disney's changes.
It seems like the goal posts are getting moved on me. The statement I responded to was that past availability was not indicative of what will be available tomorrow. I disagree with that, I think its a pretty good indicator of what will be available tomorrow, and certainly better than anything else besides the elusive crystal ball. I don't want to confuse things by taking a position on the new statements that have been made since, many of which I am sure I agree with but they are different.

I would agree, for example, that it is a much weaker indicator of what availability might be like in 50 years. But that wouldn't seem to me to be a good factor to use in making a purchase decision.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #26
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
It seems like the goal posts are getting moved on me. The statement I responded to was that past availability was not indicative of what will be available tomorrow. I disagree with that, I think its a pretty good indicator of what will be available tomorrow, and certainly better than anything else besides the elusive crystal ball.
I'm sorry, I didn't intend to move the goalposts, and I don't think Bill was trying to either. We're perhaps talking past each other a bit. The assumption is that a question about how difficult it is to get a room 7 months out at a non-home resort in a thread about what resort to buy is really the age-old question about whether you should buy at your favorite resort or buy the cheapest points you can get and use them to stay at other resorts.

Your point about past availability being a good indicator of availability tomorrow is arguable depending on what you mean by "tomorrow." You obviously don't mean literally tomorrow, you mean some period in the future. I agree that it's a decent indicator of availability next year, but it gets less and less useful the more years you look out. Availability at WDW has changed over the years and will continue to change. You're going to own DVC points for a lot of years, most likely, so making decisions based on current availability patterns may not be wise.

The upshot is that whatever resort you buy could be the only one you can get the specific rooms/nights you want for your preferred time of year at some point in the future. So while I do think most people with a little planning can use their points at many different resorts, I still think it's worth buying at a resort you personally like, because you might find that Disney decides to do a major marathon/party/festival/etc right smack-dab during your favorite time of year and turns your favorite non-home resort from an easy "get" to an nigh-impossible one.
dmunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #27
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunsil View Post

When we bought it was for the same week in Early October. Food and Wine started the Friday of our last day - we'd check out on Saturday. The year we bought, it was announced - after we purchased, that Food and Wine would start two weeks earlier, changing booking patterns at our home (BWV) dramatically - suddenly to get a standard view room, I was calling day by day at eleven months - or choosing to risk paying more points for a preferred view.

Within a few years it wasn't JUST F&W, the secret was out - October had lovely weather, low crowds and special events (like F&W and the Halloween party).

A few years later, the kids were a little older and OUR plans changed - we stopped pulling them from school and started looking at Summer and Spring Break.

So over the term of your ownership, expect Disney to change, you to change and traffic patterns to change.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #28
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
When we bought it was for the same week in Early October. Food and Wine started the Friday of our last day - we'd check out on Saturday. The year we bought, it was announced - after we purchased, that Food and Wine would start two weeks earlier, changing booking patterns at our home (BWV) dramatically - suddenly to get a standard view room, I was calling day by day at eleven months - or choosing to risk paying more points for a preferred view.

Within a few years it wasn't JUST F&W, the secret was out - October had lovely weather, low crowds and special events (like F&W and the Halloween party).

A few years later, the kids were a little older and OUR plans changed - we stopped pulling them from school and started looking at Summer and Spring Break.

So over the term of your ownership, expect Disney to change, you to change and traffic patterns to change.
Good points, and so true.

Bill

Old 09-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #29
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Good points, and so true.

Bill
None of us can promise someone looking at DVC anything. But we can tell them that over the lives of our contracts - those of us who have owned for ten, fifteen and twenty years - that things have changed. When I bought, there were three DVC resorts onsite - BWV, OKW and VWL - BCV had been announced. You could pool hop to SAB and there was no pool slide at OKW. Early October was dead, no one had ever heard of Free Dining, Disney had a single marathon weekend and we got discounts on UPH tickets. Now, the only Deluxe without a DVC attached is the Yacht Club, there are three times as many DVC rooms on site, early October is part of the busiest DVC time of the year, if you want a ticket discount - you need to go often enough to need APs, we pay for valet parking, and pool hopping has undergone a regular shrinkage.

I don't know what tomorrow will bring - but I know that owning at BWV, I am contractually guarenteed a jump on booking over the hundreds of thousands of members who don't own BWV. And we like it there.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #30
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post

I don't know what tomorrow will bring - but I know that owning at BWV, I am contractually guarenteed a jump on booking over the hundreds of thousands of members who don't own BWV. And we like it there.
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: