DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #1
rinkinenfamily
Earning My Ears

Renting points after purchasing?

We are looking to purchase dvc resale points. Our home resort isn't super important to us since I am a teacher and can vacation all summer and typical holidays. We figure that the chances of not being able to stay at one of our top choices most of the time won't be an issue since our dates are so flexible. We are planning to wait for a very good deal with a resort with lower annual dues and an April use year. We are also looking for a deal with more points than we need in the hope of renting the extra points out to cover most of the annual dues.

Here is what I am wondering- can you rent out just some of your points at a time if you don't plan to use them before they expire? Also, how easy is it to score a reservation at dvc resorts outside wdw? Especially the other beach resorts? Where do you all recommend purchasing resale points from and listing rental points? Thanks in advance !!
rinkinenfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
abner1776
DIS Veteran

The most important rule for DVC members is: buy where you want to stay !! The reason why Beach Club costs more than Vero Beach is the ability to book at the 11 month window and as a teacher you can only book during school vacations...which is when most other people want to book too. We tend to stay during off weeks such as late January or Sept so the booking window is not as important to us, but we are not teachers.

Our DD is a teacher and she is locked into taking WDW vacations during the most crowded times of the year.

As far as renting points, as the DVC member you control your points and you decided when and how many points to rent out. If you have 200 points and you use up 75 and know you don't want to bank them or use them currrently, then you can rent out the remaining 125...you control them.
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkinenfamily View Post
Here is what I am wondering- can you rent out just some of your points at a time if you don't plan to use them before they expire? Also, how easy is it to score a reservation at dvc resorts outside wdw? Especially the other beach resorts? Where do you all recommend purchasing resale points from and listing rental points? Thanks in advance !!
april is a good UY if you never plan to go during spring break - april works great for summer vacations.

you can rent reservations (or transfer pts to other owners) if you aren't going to use your pts. there are some risks and i would not buy extra just to rent some out. but it's a nice option to have if you need it.

if you don't rent on a regular basis, it's easiest to let david broker a deal:

http://www.dvcrequest.com/

if you want to book HHI in the summer, you'd be better off owning there. i would buy where you want to stay. while the summer is not as busy for DVC bookings as fall/christmas, there are still a number of DVC owners who are limited by the school calendar. if you buy SSR and expect to always book BLT standard view rooms, you're a sucker IMO. if you have a strong preference where you want to stay, buy there. if you are happy to be onsite, take the best deal and see what happens at 7 months out.

i bought at the timeshare store and think they do a great job.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkinenfamily View Post
We are looking to purchase dvc resale points. Our home resort isn't super important to us since I am a teacher and can vacation all summer and typical holidays. We figure that the chances of not being able to stay at one of our top choices most of the time won't be an issue since our dates are so flexible. We are planning to wait for a very good deal with a resort with lower annual dues and an April use year. We are also looking for a deal with more points than we need in the hope of renting the extra points out to cover most of the annual dues.

It may seem like your home resort isn't important to you but that may change once you settle in to your ownership. Changing your ownership can be expensive later if you decide that you like a different resort or if you get tired of the uncertainty of booking at 7 months.

You don't rent points, you rent a reservation, you become a landlord and you are responsible for your guest.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Like I just posted on another thread. DVC threw a wrench into David's original business plan, so he modified it to what it is now. They could do it again and make it harder to rent out points. They aren't overly fond of members doing that.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Like I just posted on another thread. DVC threw a wrench into David's original business plan, so he modified it to what it is now. They could do it again and make it harder to rent out points. They aren't overly fond of members doing that.
They let owners rent out their points but frown on people turning it into a business especially if they compete with Disney.

The rental brokers match owner and renter with no direct contact with Disney. The only negative effect could be a published restriction on how many times an owner can rent.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: