DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #16
JustTinking
DVC Member since 2002

Most brokers will still work with you to put in bids that are lower than ask, but if you go too low too often you will find them less responsive. Contracts are going very fast out there, and often for full price. Since you are in no hurry, it wouldn't hurt to continue to audit the market, and jump in when it cools down some. The board is hoping later this year...

JustTinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #17
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTinking View Post
....(snip)....... and jump in when it cools down some. The board is hoping later this year...
Maybe the potential buyers are hoping for later this year, but I suspect the potential sellers are hoping prices continue to rise (or at least stabilize), LOL.

It seems logical that prices will come down at some point - after all the product expires in 30-50 years, but no one knows when that will be.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #18
LorieDisneyLover
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
A few years back, we had a contract for sale and we were offered about $20 below our asking price, we countered with our asking price, they came back again a bit more than their first offer, we told the agent, no. We still have that contract.
With the current hot seller's market there seems to be some sellers 'testing the market' to see if they can possibly get an extremely high price.

We just closed on one contract that was reasonably priced and we offered close to asking price. We needed more points and another contract came up that was $25 more than the first one. So we put an offer in at $20 less than asking. Seller countered with his asking price. We tried again coming half way because the contract was exactly what we wanted. He denied it. Obviously, he wanted his asking price no matter how unrealistic it was. It's still sitting on that broker's list while several other similar contracts have gone to pending.

Loving our new home at BLT!

LorieDisneyLover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #19
RapunzelsGoodMom
Mouseketeer

I offered about $17 below asking price and my offer was accepted without counter. HOWEVER, a couple of things were in my favor:

*My offer price was realistic based upon sales data - slightly low but not obscene compared to where the market was.
*The contract was overpriced and had been sitting on the seller's list for about a month and a half. I called to talk to the listing agent and they said they had only received seriously low-ball offers. So I put mine in and hoped.

So you really never know. But look at the full sales data and see the reality of the market. Also make sure that you are willing to walk away from quite a few. The contract I got was perfect...but I had offered on probably four before that one. No dice. But I wasn't going to feel like I had "overpaid" given the market pricing increases. I wanted to feel like I was fair to both myself and seller.

Good luck!
RapunzelsGoodMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #20
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorieDisneyLover View Post
With the current hot seller's market there seems to be some sellers 'testing the market' to see if they can possibly get an extremely high price.

We just closed on one contract that was reasonably priced and we offered close to asking price. We needed more points and another contract came up that was $25 more than the first one. So we put an offer in at $20 less than asking. Seller countered with his asking price. We tried again coming half way because the contract was exactly what we wanted. He denied it. Obviously, he wanted his asking price no matter how unrealistic it was. It's still sitting on that broker's list while several other similar contracts have gone to pending.
He probably isn't that interested in selling it. Its a trial balloon - IF he can get his price, its worth selling, if not, he'll keep it.

I've had similar thoughts. I don't need to sell, but I'm not sure I need to keep my contract. Listing it costs nothing, and if I could get a really good price on it, I could rent points for far more trips with the gain + the dues savings than I intend to take with the contract any more.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #21
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsetter42 View Post
I'm looking to buy a small (100) point contract off of resale to dip our toe in the DVC water. I've read a ton of background material, all of the guides, most of these forums, so I feel prepared. The one question I have for those who bought resale is, how low below asking price is reasonable to offer? Any advice? We are really flexible on use year and already have a cash trip booked for next month so immediate points are not important.
Have you decided on a resort?
Nabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #22
Jetsetter42
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Nope, to be honest we are flexible. I think my best bet is to go with SSR because it seems to have a lower price point. I'm thinking small contract to start because I see us adding on points at VGF later once they bounce to resale. We are flexible with when we travel so well always have more options available to us at the 7-month mark.

I'd rather wait for a good deal and I'm willing to make offers on a bunch of contracts if I need to until we get one that works out.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #23
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Nope, to be honest we are flexible. I think my best bet is to go with SSR because it seems to have a lower price point. I'm thinking small contract to start because I see us adding on points at VGF later once they bounce to resale. We are flexible with when we travel so well always have more options available to us at the 7-month mark.

I'd rather wait for a good deal and I'm willing to make offers on a bunch of contracts if I need to until we get one that works out.
There are some 95-100 point SSR's currently listed for $70/point. Even one for $65/point that has no 2013 points.

You'll always pay more for small contracts. Given the current market, those aren't bad asking prices.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #24
dcfromva

Disney Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTinking View Post
Most brokers will still work with you to put in bids that are lower than ask, but if you go too low too often you will find them less responsive.
That is the broker's job-to present an offer. As a seller, I would be very upset if the broker was not presenting all offers--even the lower offers. Even if I don't accept an offer, it is valuable information to help gauge the market.
dcfromva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #25
Figment1983
Mouseketeer

Looking at adding a resale of 100-160 at either blt or vwl... On the rofr thread there seems to be large price ranges, what is a fair price for each? I see 80-105 for blt and some vwl in the high60's
Old 09-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #26
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment1983 View Post
Looking at adding a resale of 100-160 at either blt or vwl... On the rofr thread there seems to be large price ranges, what is a fair price for each? I see 80-105 for blt and some vwl in the high60's
The market has changed a lot in the last few months. Currently, BLT asking price is averaging $105/point while VWL is $80/point. Smaller contracts are even higher.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #27
Belle & Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorieDisneyLover View Post

I think I know the contract you are talking about--AKL?
I asked about one that was priced at $104 and was told they needed it to pay the loan. That is what Disney was selling for about 5 years ago.
Belle & Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #28
tlh
Mouseketeer

Lol. I put in an offer on that one with Shannon before she put it up on the site. Seller wouldn't budge because they have a loan, so I kept looking. Found a nice contract on timeshare store and now I'm waiting for my member ID in the mail.
tlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #29
JustTinking
DVC Member since 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfromva View Post
That is the broker's job-to present an offer. As a seller, I would be very upset if the broker was not presenting all offers--even the lower offers. Even if I don't accept an offer, it is valuable information to help gauge the market.
I agree with you. But I think the broker will not feel it's worth his time/effort knowing that the seller is not going to accept the offer. One broker told me there was already a bid in higher than mine, so no dice, she wouldn't even put it on the table to the seller.

JustTinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #30
disbound09
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:

I think a lot of people are thinking the same thing. It will be interesting to see where the resale market is in a couple of years. We hope they drop so we can afford both the points and the $$ that are needed to stay at VGF

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: