DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
AquaDame
Are we there yet?
 
AquaDame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PacNW
Posts: 2,357

Any insight on purchasing grand californian direct?

I cannot get an agent to answer my questions without calling (though they were more than happy to send me the generic information packet about Aulani and Grand Floridian after I asked them NOT to). Does anyone know what the current cost per point is, and about how long the wait list is currently? I know it can change day to day but even a rough estimate would be wonderful.

Thank you, we are trying to decide between the not yet announced Poly & purchasing closer to home!

__________________
AquaDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd
 
dmunsil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kirkland, WA, former home of Costco!
Posts: 760

The direct price is $165/point with no incentives. No idea on the waiting list length. There have been reports of it being really long (like a year), and reports of it being not too bad (3 months or so). It may depend on which use year you need. If you don't care about use year, that should shorten the wait, I would think.

I think you're going to need to call them to get the current info. They won't send any info of that nature via email, ever. It's policy, because the company doesn't want to be held to a promise made by a sales person who didn't understand the situation correctly (or, heaven forbid, lied about something).
dmunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
AquaDame
Are we there yet?
 
AquaDame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PacNW
Posts: 2,357

So it's ok to make mistakes and lie on the phone? Technically UY doesn't matter since we don't own yet and aren't tied to school breaks though I would love a specific one of course. The price point is very helpful, thank you! I think that is the same for VGF, isn't it? Was thinking it might be a little less but I know thats just the first drop in the bucket! Thank you!
__________________
AquaDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd
 
dmunsil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kirkland, WA, former home of Costco!
Posts: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDame View Post
So it's ok to make mistakes and lie on the phone?
Of course not. Look at it from Disney's perspective - if they get a "bad apple" into their sales staff, and he or she makes foolish promises left and right, if those promises were made verbally Disney has more room to fix things once they figure out that this person is a problem and turfs them out.

People cut other people more slack when they are remembering a promise made verbally some time ago rather than in an email they can print out and brandish at the poor customer service rep who has to deal with the fallout.

These policies are not uncommon in any kind of high-dollar sales environment. You probably can't get a car salesman to commit to anything via email at most dealerships. Real estate agents tend to like to talk things over on the phone or face to face as much as possible. Even if we assume that they're completely reputable, they can make mistakes as well, and they'd prefer to limit the damage those mistakes can cause.

This is why, over and over, people say that when dealing with big money deals, anything that isn't in writing should be considered...speculative, let's say.

Here's an example: a salesperson might say to you, "DVC members can buy annual passes for the same price as local Florida residents!" And this is true - with caveats. It only applies to one specific annual pass, not all of them, and it's an ancillary perk that is not in the contract and Disney can take away or modify any time. Lots of things that a DVC salesperson might say to you could be true, but really should come with a lot of footnotes. Strangely enough, salespeople don't like to cover all that fine print...

Quote:
Technically UY doesn't matter since we don't own yet and aren't tied to school breaks though I would love a specific one of course. The price point is very helpful, thank you! I think that is the same for VGF, isn't it? Was thinking it might be a little less but I know thats just the first drop in the bucket! Thank you!
VGC is higher than VGF ($165 vs. $150 per point). Have you considered resale? I just bought some VGC resale, and while there aren't very many resale contracts for VGC each month, there are some, and if you are diligent you can certainly snag one for much less than $165. You can put the savings toward buying some Poly points when they become available.
dmunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,855

The waitlist isn't that long but if you call a guide will give you a reasonable estimate. We were on the waitlist this year and it took about 3 months. We didn't buy them in the end becasue we found them resale while we were waiting but we would have bought if resale hadn't worked.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,112

It is DVC policy to not respond to sales-related inquiries via email. The liability is simply too great.

The policy isn't based solely upon a fear of lies or deception. Poorly phrased or misleading written responses could be held against Disney, and prove very costly in the long run. We're talking about a 5-figure real estate investment.

Even when speaking to a DVC sales rep, the responses you get are little more than their opinion or interpretation of the program rules.

Honestly you're better off asking questions here if you want to get fair and balanced feedback. That's not to say a DVC rep would mislead you, but at the end of the day they are paid salespeople who must meet quotas in order to pay their mortgage.
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,650

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
It is DVC policy to not respond to sales-related inquiries via email. The liability is simply too great.

The policy isn't based solely upon a fear of lies or deception. Poorly phrased or misleading written responses could be held against Disney, and prove very costly in the long run. We're talking about a 5-figure real estate investment.

Even when speaking to a DVC sales rep, the responses you get are little more than their opinion or interpretation of the program rules.

Honestly you're better off asking questions here if you want to get fair and balanced feedback. That's not to say a DVC rep would mislead you, but at the end of the day they are paid salespeople who must meet quotas in order to pay their mortgage.

In addition folks have been known to "tamper" with emails. We had a situation like that recently where I work, the email that came back to us was NOT the same as what went out... the 'responder' had changed our initial email and "hoped" we would not notice. (we did!)
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
Disney 24/7
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 155

I was on the wait list for VGC (July 2012) and got the call 9 months later (March 2013) that 62pt contract is available. I wanted a specific use year, March, to match my BLT and Aulani contracts. Maybe the wait list is shorter for the other use years but I do know March contracts are hard to come by.
Disney 24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:14 AM   #9
BlazerFan
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver (not B.C.), Washington (not D.C.)
Posts: 415

I've been on the VGC wait list since mid March with no luck so far. I told my guide I would take any use year but not luck. I think I fell off the list because its more than 6 months but I has him add me to the list again this summer so I would have another place in line.
BlazerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #10
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran
 
luv2sleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,706

I was in the list last year and it came through in my use year after a month. I turned it down though.
__________________
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
disneydenisel
DIS Veteran
 
disneydenisel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,091

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

We had been on the VGC waitlist for just over six months and I asked for either of two UYs and the waitlist just cleared on Friday !

I knew we still wanted the points because I could not get a single VGC contract resale since Disney kept exercising ROFR . This was our first direct purchase and the points were in our account and banked by Saturday .

Good luck with your decision. You have nothing to lose by getting on the direct waitlist and in the meantime, if you find a resale contract that sticks, then you can get off the list or wait for it to clear and say no thanks . It's all good!
__________________
Denise



Disneyland since 1963
First trip to WDW--offsite May 1994
Grand Californian 2002, 2004
BCV Thanksgiving 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, December 2013
VGC & PPH June 2011

VGC June 2012, June 2013
Aulani March 2013
disneydenisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
BlazerFan
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver (not B.C.), Washington (not D.C.)
Posts: 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydenisel View Post
We had been on the VGC waitlist for just over six months and I asked for either of two UYs and the waitlist just cleared on Friday !

I knew we still wanted the points because I could not get a single VGC contract resale since Disney kept exercising ROFR . This was our first direct purchase and the points were in our account and banked by Saturday .

Good luck with your decision. You have nothing to lose by getting on the direct waitlist and in the meantime, if you find a resale contract that sticks, then you can get off the list or wait for it to clear and say no thanks . It's all good!
What use year and how many points? I got on the list on March 16 and asked for any use year in any increment of 50 or more.
BlazerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
BlazerFan
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver (not B.C.), Washington (not D.C.)
Posts: 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydenisel View Post
We had been on the VGC waitlist for just over six months and I asked for either of two UYs and the waitlist just cleared on Friday !

It's all good!
Oh, and congratulations!!!
BlazerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #14
disneydenisel
DIS Veteran
 
disneydenisel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,091

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerFan View Post
What use year and how many points? I got on the list on March 16 and asked for any use year in any increment of 50 or more.
I asked for June or Dec UY, 50 x 2, or 100 points, whichever came first. Dec came up first, so we are buying that. We got on the list on March 14!!! Two days before you. Maybe you'll get a call very soon. Sending pixie dust !

Thanks for your congratulations .
__________________
Denise



Disneyland since 1963
First trip to WDW--offsite May 1994
Grand Californian 2002, 2004
BCV Thanksgiving 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, December 2013
VGC & PPH June 2011

VGC June 2012, June 2013
Aulani March 2013
disneydenisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #15
BlazerFan
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver (not B.C.), Washington (not D.C.)
Posts: 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydenisel View Post

I asked for June or Dec UY, 50 x 2, or 100 points, whichever came first. Dec came up first, so we are buying that. We got on the list on March 14!!! Two days before you. Maybe you'll get a call very soon. Sending pixie dust !

Thanks for your congratulations .
That is good news! We have a June use year but I wouldn't mind a different use year for April-May trips. Did you get all 100 or just 50?
BlazerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.