Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #31
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great pics!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #32
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpiratee View Post
:O I can't believe all that! I'm glad you guys finally got there!
Thank you! It was such a relief to finally arrive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Oh my gosh!! What a day! Sorry for the frustration but glad you made it - 5 hours late but you made it! One ADR as a casualty isn't bad considering the fact they weren't going to get you to WDW that night.

Were you staying in the villas?

BTW: This WAS interesting!!
Yes, I was so relieved about not getting there a day late that the one ADR wasn't such a big deal. We were staying in Jambo House in a DVC studio. And I'm glad you found it interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessM View Post
I'm sorry you had such a rough travel day! I hate traveling and I get worked up when things go wrong too, its really hard not too! I'm glad you guys made it!
Thanks! I hate travel days because I get stressed/anxious really easily. And then when stuff like this happens it just seems to stressful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
Holy Moly Becky, that is some travel story!! Just... Wow. And YIKES.

I've always hated the line-ups at the car rentals, so I joined one of the free "member" programs. Let me tell you... DO THIS if you do much car renting. I use Dollar, and with the free Dollar Express, I basically pick up my luggage and walk outside and get in the car. No lines, nothing. Highly recommended.

Oh God, I drive without the headlights in Florida way more than I'd like to admit. I'm so used to having a car with auto headlights, that it just doesn't occur to me.

Honestly, I totally enjoyed reading it despite how lousy the day was. So glad you're finally in Disney and the good stuff can start.
That's really good to know about the car rental programs. I'll definitely be looking into it next time. It sounds so much more convenient!

And my car has auto headlights too, so it didn't even occur to me to try and turn them on! Actually, I've gotten in trouble with that before - when I drove DH's car once I killed the battery because I forgot to turn them off, since I'm used them turning off on their own...

I'm glad you enjoyed reading it! And everything is much more exciting and happier from here on out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cgj View Post
Joining in! I can't wait to see the AoA photo shoot! We stayed at AoA in January and loved! Planning to go back in Jan 2015 - WAY too long!

I can't believe the troubles you had with your travel. I would have been a complete MESS. I hate flying anyway, so I would probably have freaked out about the plane being fixed so quickly. At least you made it safely!
Yes, AoA looked incredible! After our photoshoot I told DH we definitely needed to stay there. We will be going next February!

I feel like I should've been more worried about the plane being fixed so quickly, but I was just so eager to get there at that point that I didn't care! Haha but I hate traveling too so I was definitely feeling the stress. I'm always happy to arrive in Orlando but arriving this time was probably the happiest I've been to see MCO!
librarygeek is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #34
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

wow, so sorry to hear about the travel issues - but at least you go down there that day and it didn't impact the bachelor party

Your trip kinda reminds me of our honeymoon trip where our first leg flight was delayed causing us to miss our transfer in Puerto Rico and we kept getting put on standby and were worried we wouldn't get to our final destination that day (spoiler alert: we didn't) and when we were up at the ticket desk, with my wife already near/in tears, the ticket agent told us we "just have to look at this as an adventure" - thought my wife was going to lose it on her

**In Progress** Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #35
elphie101
Left my heart in Tomorrowland

What a nightmare travel day! I also had a bad experience traveling on Delta when we were coming home from our Disneyland trip (although I'm willing to chalk it up to a mistake on my part, the overall situation just leaves a bad taste in my mouth). Sorry you missed out on Sanaa! But I'm very glad you made it there the same day - nothing like collapsing into your hotel bed after a long day of travel knowing you've arrived!

DF Me
WDW: '91, '92, '94, '01, '06 (offsite)* 7/11 Pop* 8/11 AS Music* 9/11 AS Sports* 12/11 CBR* 6/12 Pop* (TR Here!) 11/12 AS Movies* 1/13 Pop* 9/13 Pop* 5/14 Pop* 10/14 BCV*
DL: '03 (day)* 4/13 Fairfield Inn Anaheim* DCL: 10/14 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean*

Star Command, over and out!*Hellllllooooooo Humans!*It's a great big BEAUTIFUL tomorrow!

Current TR: "That's not supposed to be HERE!" A Disneyland TR!***Our DFTW Planning Journal
elphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #36
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Whoa! Your travel day was HIDEOUS! I am so sorry. I'm glad that it didn't end up as bad as it sounded like it would, but still. I hope the rest of the trip makes up for it!
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #37
tiggerfan77
I clearly do not make it to WDW enough

Wow! What a headache! Glad you finally got to your room
tiggerfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #38
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Oh what an awful way to begin a trip, not sure if I would have been brave enough to get onto the "fixed" plane.

Glad all turned out well eventually with getting your rental car and other tha missing your Sanaa reservation arriving at 10pm still allowed you to eat and get a good nights sleep.

I had an arrival day ADR for Sanaa but changed it just in case.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #39
shalom
DIS Veteran

What a dreadful travel day. Glad you got there before that day was over though.

The one time Ballet Girl used Delta it was a disaster, as well. Actually, the only two times she hasn't used Southwest have been disasters with huge delays -- now she's a Southwest fan for life, I think.

And I think I forgot to say how neat it is that you're at AKL! Kudos to unnamed relative.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #40
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxRebo View Post
wow, so sorry to hear about the travel issues - but at least you go down there that day and it didn't impact the bachelor party

Your trip kinda reminds me of our honeymoon trip where our first leg flight was delayed causing us to miss our transfer in Puerto Rico and we kept getting put on standby and were worried we wouldn't get to our final destination that day (spoiler alert: we didn't) and when we were up at the ticket desk, with my wife already near/in tears, the ticket agent told us we "just have to look at this as an adventure" - thought my wife was going to lose it on her
Oh no, that sounds awful! If the ticket agent said something like that to me I would've gone nuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphie101 View Post
What a nightmare travel day! I also had a bad experience traveling on Delta when we were coming home from our Disneyland trip (although I'm willing to chalk it up to a mistake on my part, the overall situation just leaves a bad taste in my mouth). Sorry you missed out on Sanaa! But I'm very glad you made it there the same day - nothing like collapsing into your hotel bed after a long day of travel knowing you've arrived!
This was my first time on Delta and I have heard from a lot of other people that had problems.... someone told me DELTA actually stands for "doesn't ever leave the airport"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Whoa! Your travel day was HIDEOUS! I am so sorry. I'm glad that it didn't end up as bad as it sounded like it would, but still. I hope the rest of the trip makes up for it!
Yes, in the end we were lucky that it wasn't worse! Everything else was a blast after that though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerfan77 View Post
Wow! What a headache! Glad you finally got to your room
It was so nice to finally be in that room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
Oh what an awful way to begin a trip, not sure if I would have been brave enough to get onto the "fixed" plane.

Glad all turned out well eventually with getting your rental car and other tha missing your Sanaa reservation arriving at 10pm still allowed you to eat and get a good nights sleep.

I had an arrival day ADR for Sanaa but changed it just in case.
Yeah, we ended up booking an ADR for Sanaa for our trip next February. So we will get there eventually, just about 6 months later than we were planning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
What a dreadful travel day. Glad you got there before that day was over though.

The one time Ballet Girl used Delta it was a disaster, as well. Actually, the only two times she hasn't used Southwest have been disasters with huge delays -- now she's a Southwest fan for life, I think.

And I think I forgot to say how neat it is that you're at AKL! Kudos to unnamed relative.
That's what I've heard about Delta from a lot of people, unfortunately. I love Southwest, I just wish their prices would come down a little!

And you can thank Uncle Ed for AKL! We were so thrilled and in love with it!
Old 09-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #41
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Magic Kingdom Morning

We were so happy to be waking up in Animal Kingdom Lodge this morning, and not the Detroit airport! We were supposed to meet up with the bachelorette party around 10am in Magic Kingdom. The original plan was for the girls to do Magic Kingdom, and the boys to do Hollywood Studios. However, DH was coming with me just to get in at MK. I have an annual pass but he does not. However, one of my friends that was going to be at the bachelorette party is a cast member and very generously offered to let him in for free with her main gate. So he had to go there first.

We drove over to MK, parked, and then planned to take the monorail over. Well, the monorail wasn't running, so it was the ferry boat for everyone. Well, have you thought about how many people are probably waiting to get over from the parking lot to MK around 9:30am in August? A lot! Needless to say, it took over an hour to get from AKL to the front gates of MK. In retrospect, just taking the bus would've been a much better option, but we thought it would be easier to take the car since DH planned to go over to Hollywood Studios and there's no direct route from MK to HS. Any way you slice it, it was going to take a long time.

But soon we were on the ferryboat sailing over to MK! I do enjoy the ferry... just usually on the way back or for an afternoon break, not when I'm trying to get over the park!

We met up with my cast member friend and she got DH into the park. However, he started to re-think heading over to Hollywood Studios. For one, he didn't want to spend over an hour to get over to HS after just having spent all that time to come to MK. Plus, he didn't really know any of the guys that were going to be there and was feeling a little uncomfortable. So ultimately he decided to stay with us for a bit with thoughts of going off on his own to give us some girl time. All the other girls said they had no problem with him being there though!

We then found the bride and her group! They had Space Mountain fastpasses to use, so while they were doing that we snuck off to buy her part of the wedding gift we were planning to give - a personalized picture frame. We then grabbed fastpasses for Splash Mountain, since the other girls had some for that afternoon. We all met up again at Pirates. The sign said a 55 minute wait but we figured what the heck, we'll all just hang out. Well, something was super off because we only waited about 10 minutes!

Then we split up again - most of the girls went off to use their Splash fastpasses (which turned out to be earlier than ours), and DH, myself, and two of my friends went off to find something to eat. We passed through New Fantasyland. Every time I'm there, I can't help but check up on the progress of the 7 Dwarfs Mine Coaster! I can't wait for that to open!

DH and I decided to try Be Our Guest for lunch. But they said the wait would be over an hour! So it was off to Cosmic Ray's instead. Our meals were... less than stellar. There will be more details in the dining review, but we were not impressed. However, we got to sit in the room with Sonny Eclipse and I do think that is some pretty fun entertainment for a counter service restaurant!

We then met up with the whole group again to do the Little Mermaid ride. I enjoy the movie, but was never a huge fan. However, for some reason I just adore this ride. I love everything about it, especially the Under the Sea room. And the queue is really fun too!

Next we all split up (again!) so that those of us who already ate could ride Splash Mountain, and those that did Splash already could eat. I'm glad everyone was so flexible and not concerned with staying together the whole time - that's one of the problems with touring with a big group, but this one was so easy! Dani, the bride-to-be, was so easygoing and such a calm bride! She rocks

I'm so happy I got on Splash Mountain, as it's one of my favorite rides in Disney and definitely my favorite in the Magic Kingdom.

I was inspired by one of my new DIS friends, Rob, to actually take my camera on Splash Mountain to get some pictures! I'm kind of pleased with how they turned out. Here's just a few:

I was aiming to get a good picture going just over the top. And I ended up with this:

Which I am absolutely in love with! My friend put her hand up like that for the ride photo, but it came out perfectly centered in my photo with the castle and space mountain right there in the background. I think it's pretty neat!

I think my face in the ride photo is mostly out of fear for protecting my camera, rather than the actual drop

We all met up again for a special character meet and greet, but this time DH went off on his own. He was interested in riding Haunted Mansion. One of the girls at the bachelorette party knew a cast member who is "friends with" a character, and were doing a private meet and greet with us. She said it was probably going to be Aladdin and maybe Jasmine. Who actually showed up turned out to be even better!

To be continued...
Old 09-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #42
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Ohhh cliff hanger for the character Meet & Greet!!

That really was a cool photo for the drop on Splash. Glad to know that Rob inspired you.

Darn! You really are stuck with few options if they dump you at the TTC with no monorail to get to MK. Could you walk to the Poly and take one of the little boats over?? Oh, and way cool photo of the castle on your approach to the MK dock!!

Sonny Eclipse. he's one cool alien dude!! I actually like the rotisserie chicken meal at Cosmic Rays.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #43
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Oh dear, that poor monorail has seen much better days. It seems to be broken more and more often. I'm like you, I do like the ferry, but not so much when I'm in a hurry.

Haha, I really love Sonny. It's great entertainment while you eat.

Awww, a shout out in your TR. That's so sweet and I'm so honoured that you said that you have no idea!! You got some wonderful Splash photos and I LOVE THAT LAST PIC!!!! Like seriously LOVE IT!!!
Haha, I totally know what you're saying in protecting the camera. It does take some practice. Funny too that I've heard that the way your friend is holding her hands that sometimes Disney won't sell the photo because sometimes they think it's a gang sign or something, I'm not sure. Again, this is just something I've heard, I can't confirm it. But I found it interesting. And oh yeah... I LOVE THAT LAST PIC!!!!

Ooh Is the this going to be the best M&G ever coming up...
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #44
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Ohhh cliff hanger for the character Meet & Greet!!

That really was a cool photo for the drop on Splash. Glad to know that Rob inspired you.

Darn! You really are stuck with few options if they dump you at the TTC with no monorail to get to MK. Could you walk to the Poly and take one of the little boats over?? Oh, and way cool photo of the castle on your approach to the MK dock!!

Sonny Eclipse. he's one cool alien dude!! I actually like the rotisserie chicken meal at Cosmic Rays.
I know! I thought briefly about other options to MK but I wasn't sure what would take more time in the long run so we just stayed where we were.

And last time I was at Cosmic Rays I had a turkey sandwich that I really enjoyed... I think this time around our choices were just a bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
Oh dear, that poor monorail has seen much better days. It seems to be broken more and more often. I'm like you, I do like the ferry, but not so much when I'm in a hurry.

Haha, I really love Sonny. It's great entertainment while you eat.

Awww, a shout out in your TR. That's so sweet and I'm so honoured that you said that you have no idea!! You got some wonderful Splash photos and I LOVE THAT LAST PIC!!!! Like seriously LOVE IT!!!
Haha, I totally know what you're saying in protecting the camera. It does take some practice. Funny too that I've heard that the way your friend is holding her hands that sometimes Disney won't sell the photo because sometimes they think it's a gang sign or something, I'm not sure. Again, this is just something I've heard, I can't confirm it. But I found it interesting. And oh yeah... I LOVE THAT LAST PIC!!!!

Ooh Is the this going to be the best M&G ever coming up...
Aww, thank you! It really was because of your pics that I decided to actually have my camera out on Splash, haha. That's interesting about Disney not selling the photo - they didn't seem to have a problem this time around, but I would guess it has to do with the CM that's working (and perhaps what country they are from, if they might suspect it's a gang sign?). That's pretty funny though!

Hopefully the character meet and greet isn't a disappointment... at least, it wasn't for me so I hope it isn't for everyone here either!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #45
shalom
DIS Veteran

Bummer about the monorail. I love that thing, but must confess I feel a bit of trepidation riding it any more. The MK is the best way to start a WDW vacation, IMHO, but not if you miss the opening show!

Only half kidding.

I can't wait until they finished the dwarf mine -- dunno if I'll ever ride it, but going on the rest of New Fantasyland I think it's going to be beautiful and I'm just dying to see the whole thing complete.

Wish your lunch had been better. Disappointing lunches justify a Mickey bar or similar snazzy snack, right?

Really liked your Splash Mountain pics, but also enjoyed this one, which is of something I didn't notice while there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
Plus, where but the Dis do I get enthused about a picture of piled up broken dishes?
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: