DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #16
RumpleMom
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on waiting for a little one to arrive.

I would urge caution about doing a DVC purchase until after the little one arrives.

There are an incredible number of expenses along with the joy of a new baby.

The unexpected
expenses can be difficult at times.

For example: a family member stocked up on Huggies diapers before baby was born, they don't work- baby had a reaction and can only wear Pampers. The unopened diapers were returned, but the huge opened box that was purchased on sale and with coupons was a loss. Pampers had to be bought not on sale.

Nursing worked for a little while, then it didn't. Bottles had to be purchased- baby didn't like the first brand, another brand had to be purchased. More $$.

The first brand of formula didn't agree with baby, that's more $$ wasted at $35 for the box.

First brand of diaper wipes didn't work, only sensitive skin kind was tolerated. More wasted money.

These are just a few examples that I remember being told.

I would advise not to buy the large "economy" size of anything for the new baby until you are sure this is the brand baby will tolerate.

As for DVC, it will be there when you have your beautiful baby and can better determine what your family can easily afford.
RumpleMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #17
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

Frankly when my kids were small the longest vacation I was comfortable taking was 4N. After 4N of wrestling with a different sleeping environment which led to tired cranky baby(ies) and partner, I was ready to go home to sleep in my own bed. So 50 pts is very doable.

With a small child I'd purchase Wilderness Lodge or Bay Lake - close to MK which will be it's park of choice at 2y. It's a higher buy-in price but, so far, the annual dues are below most of the other DVC properties.

IMO! SSR, OKW and AKL = spending your vacations on transportation so save $$ and go every other year on a discount pkg at a moderate resort because it's the same amount of transpo. We didn't buy DVC in the 90's because of its LOCATION - my kids only tolorated the transportation so I wasn't committing to a ownership until it made sense LOCATION-wise as well as $$. When Boardwalk and Beachclub were being built we were in College "ELL By the time we were back on the otherside we bought AKL. I IOVE AKL but we don't visit the parks when we're there (we haven't stayed there often) - ditto SSR and OKW.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #18
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
Frankly when my kids were small the longest vacation I was comfortable taking was 4N. After 4N of wrestling with a different sleeping environment which led to tired cranky baby(ies) and partner, I was ready to go home to sleep in my own bed. So 50 pts is very doable.

With a small child I'd purchase Wilderness Lodge or Bay Lake - close to MK which will be it's park of choice at 2y. It's a higher buy-in price but, so far, the annual dues are below most of the other DVC properties.

IMO! SSR, OKW and AKL = spending your vacations on transportation so save $$ and go every other year on a discount pkg at a moderate resort because it's the same amount of transpo. We didn't buy DVC in the 90's because of its LOCATION - my kids only tolorated the transportation so I wasn't committing to a ownership until it made sense LOCATION-wise as well as $$. When Boardwalk and Beachclub were being built we were in College "ELL By the time we were back on the otherside we bought AKL. I IOVE AKL but we don't visit the parks when we're there (we haven't stayed there often) - ditto SSR and OKW.
SSR & OKW are fairly easy to get at the 7 month window. The studios at BLT are SMALL!!

I obviously like BWV.
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #19
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcags View Post
I do appreciate the insight. My first child willl be born in Feb. I am thinking I have a while before I have to worry about school schedules. By that time, I should be able to afford to buy more points.
You don't have to answer this, but why do you think you'll be able to afford more points?

Kids are expensive. And you always think its about to become cheaper. But diapers turns into four pairs of sneakers a year for a kid who grows like a weed. Daycare becomes after school care, summer camps, and piano lessons. That baby who flew free now costs $400 to take along in airfare, plus a $500 ticket, and eats like a linebacker. There is that great opportunity for enrichment - but its $300. You need a clarinet. Now you need to have the clarinet fixed because it got dropped. Braces are $3000 after insurance. Then you lose the retainer and are out another $300. The eighth grade class is going to Washington DC, and the high school French class is going to Paris. The kid is failing math, although last year he was perfectly good at it, and Sylvan wants $1500 to tutor him.

Unless you have an above average income, you'll be making a lot of choices - they may come down to "Disney or band?" "Disney or summer camp?" (Even with an above average income, you make a lot of choices).

And I know right now, with a baby on the way, band and braces seem an eternity away. But you'll blink and it will be here. Blink again and you'll be looking at a FAFSA saying "we can't afford the family contribution, do they think we are made of money?"
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #20
DisneyMommaToTwo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post

You don't have to answer this, but why do you think you'll be able to afford more points?

Kids are expensive. And you always think its about to become cheaper. But diapers turns into four pairs of sneakers a year for a kid who grows like a weed. Daycare becomes after school care, summer camps, and piano lessons. That baby who flew free now costs $400 to take along in airfare, plus a $500 ticket, and eats like a linebacker. There is that great opportunity for enrichment - but its $300. You need a clarinet. Now you need to have the clarinet fixed because it got dropped. Braces are $3000 after insurance. Then you lose the retainer and are out another $300. The eighth grade class is going to Washington DC, and the high school French class is going to Paris. The kid is failing math, although last year he was perfectly good at it, and Sylvan wants $1500 to tutor him.

Unless you have an above average income, you'll be making a lot of choices - they may come down to "Disney or band?" "Disney or summer camp?" (Even with an above average income, you make a lot of choices).

And I know right now, with a baby on the way, band and braces seem an eternity away. But you'll blink and it will be here. Blink again and you'll be looking at a FAFSA saying "we can't afford the family contribution, do they think we are made of money?"
Lol. That is excellent advice. Kids just get more and more expensive. Daycare in my area for a 2 year old full-time is $800/ mo. The public school system is terrible so private school tuition for my 8 year old is $500/mo plus $400/mo for aftercare.
I used to think things would get less expensive as kids get older but it just gets more and more expensive.
I hope to buy into DVC when The Poly is added but I am worried the cost of raising children may inhibit that purchase. Who knows what new expenses the kids will have.
(Loved the last line about the FASFA. So true. I remember my parents saying exactly that the first time we filled it out. Shortly after that, they added, "Looks like you'll be working your way through college.)
Old 09-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #21
Mickey'sApprentice
DIS Veteran

Hey, we're talking about $4500 buy in and $300 per year in maintenance fees. I bet they can handle it.

Sometimes people decide that they can afford 50 points not because they are flat broke but because they are good money managers and want to pay cash.

If its not too far to drive and you can afford the tickets...you will be ok. Believe it or not...you'll have a pretty good time even if you can't buy tickets. My sisters family loves to swim and swears they could make a vacation out of the Beach Club Villas. The studios have good sized refrigerators. You wouldn't be the first people to pull out bologna sandwiches and eat overlooking the rivers of America and the riverboat.
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Old 09-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #22
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sApprentice View Post
Hey, we're talking about $4500 buy in and $300 per year in maintenance fees. I bet they can handle it.

Sometimes people decide that they can afford 50 points not because they are flat broke but because they are good money managers and want to pay cash.

If its not too far to drive and you can afford the tickets...you will be ok. Believe it or not...you'll have a pretty good time even if you can't buy tickets. My sisters family loves to swim and swears they could make a vacation out of the Beach Club Villas. The studios have good sized refrigerators. You wouldn't be the first people to pull out bologna sandwiches and eat overlooking the rivers of America and the riverboat.
Or maybe they can't. I'm not betting either way - I have no idea of "we can afford more points in a few years" means "in a few years, I'll come into my seven million dollar trust fund" or if it means "in a few years, I'll have enough 3% raises that we will have room in our budget." And frankly, I don't want to know I'm just saying - as a parent to a soon to be parent - those little buggers are way more expensive than you think that they are going to be. Think this through. If indeed they are good money managers, they already have, and I've simply typed advice that might be useful to someone else.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:45 AM   #23
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I agree with Crisi, we really don't know. In general terms, most people can't. We know this because most people can't handle where they are already. My personal definition of being able to handle such (able to afford it) is no consumer debt and living within one's means. Put another way, being able to make the payments does not equal being able to handle it.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #24
Kcags
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for the input. Unfortunately we live in PA so flying is a must. And I assume I can afford more later because I will have my student loans payed off which are a hefty bill. I work in medical and make a very good salary, but my hubby is part time right now. We can afford the costs of a DVC 50 pt contract now. Although I don't know future costs of children, we are extreme money managers. Although AKL is not close to MK, I am still thinking it is my best bet because we can stay there for a week or more on 2 years worth of points. That would be ideal for us. The transportation to the parks does not seem like a big deal to me. It is part of going to WDW. Thanks again for the input. I am surprised to see how many people say it may not be a fit. We would love to go to WDW often and stay deluxe. A small contract after the baby seems like a good start to me.
Kcags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #25
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the input. Unfortunately we live in PA so flying is a must. And I assume I can afford more later because I will have my student loans payed off which are a hefty bill. I work in medical and make a very good salary, but my hubby is part time right now. We can afford the costs of a DVC 50 pt contract now. Although I don't know future costs of children, we are extreme money managers. Although AKL is not close to MK, I am still thinking it is my best bet because we can stay there for a week or more on 2 years worth of points. That would be ideal for us. The transportation to the parks does not seem like a big deal to me. It is part of going to WDW. Thanks again for the input. I am surprised to see how many people say it may not be a fit. We would love to go to WDW often and stay deluxe. A small contract after the baby seems like a good start to me.
These kinds of threads come along frequently and the veterans (and I don't yet include myself in that illustrious group) make an effort at making sure that the OP and anyone reading the post understands what buying a timeshare is all about and the long-term impact of that decision.

In your posts, there have been some red flags that have led a few to the conclusion that DVC might not be right for you . . . yet. Even this post has some concerning information about your current life situation, but only you know what your financial comfort level is currently. Some would suggest that before buying DVC, you should get those hefty student loan payments out of the way. You should definitely be maximizing contributions to your retirement before buying a timeshare. Certainly, you plan on starting a 529 college savings plan for your baby next year (PA has a nice tax deduction for the 529). Do you have 3-6 months of earnings socked away in case your work in medical job suddenly goes away (two health care systems in my region have recently announced over 500 jobs being eliminated in each system).

On a lighter note, AKV is a great resort with a nice range of room types and point options. Keep in mind that the value studios are usually booked up right at the 11 month mark, so unless you are able to plan that far in advance, you may want to use the standard studios as your reference point. And, even if you can plan 11 months in advance, those value studios are often difficult to get. I have one reserved for next year and got it by "walking" the reservation. And you are right, the trasportation from AKV is not that big of a deal. We have always been happy with it.

As I said before, 2016 is a long way off and AKV contracts (even small ones) are usually in good supply. You should at least put off spending this kind of money until you get through that first 6 months of motherhood, just so you have a better idea of you financial needs post-baby. DVC isn't going anywhere.
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, BWV/GF Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14, Jambo-CL July '15

Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #26
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We're from PA too - while it's not my preferred option - we have twice now and plan again in March 2014 to DRIVE . The plus is you drive 12 hours (yes, I know it's long) to DVC Hilton Head and 6 hours to Disney, stay for 7 days and reverse. DVC Hilton Head in March mid-week is 10pts/night.

Just something to file away in the memory banks if air is too outrageous.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #27
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

Quote:
SSR & OKW are fairly easy to get at the 7 month window. The studios at BLT are SMALL!!

I obviously like BWV.
Wilderness Lodge would be the preferred but it's so hard to find those points on re-sale, especially a small contract.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #28
Belle & Ariel
DIS Veteran

We always stay in the studios and they are an excellent use of points.
We would all be in one room if we were in a hotel and it is bigger than a value or moderate room.
I would never use a bathtub in a hotel---YUCK! There are many meals you can make without an oven or stove and we use the community laundry if we want to wash clothes.
You can stay twice as many nights in a studio as a one bedroom and they hold the same amount of people. We do not go to WDW to sit in the room.
It is perfect for sleeping and showering and the resorts are nicer and more convenient to the parks than a value or mod.
I think too that in future years you can expect increases in salary to allow for more points.
Buy now with cash and the amount you would spend on a hotel will easily cover your dues each year.
Congrats on baby!
Belle & Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #29
Mickey'sApprentice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle & Ariel View Post
We always stay in the studios and they are an excellent use of points.
We would all be in one room if we were in a hotel and it is bigger than a value or moderate room.
I would never use a bathtub in a hotel---YUCK! There are many meals you can make without an oven or stove and we use the community laundry if we want to wash clothes.
You can stay twice as many nights in a studio as a one bedroom and they hold the same amount of people. We do not go to WDW to sit in the room.
It is perfect for sleeping and showering and the resorts are nicer and more convenient to the parks than a value or mod.
I think too that in future years you can expect increases in salary to allow for more points.
Buy now with cash and the amount you would spend on a hotel will easily cover your dues each year.
Congrats on baby!

Old 09-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #30
a742246
older than dirt

Quote:
It sounds like you should be fine with a 50 point contract (if you can pay cash for it) . Remember if something happens and you can't afford it or need money, you can always sell it.

PS. Before you buy, understand use year. I would also try to look for a fully loaded contract which may be hard to find in this market. Good Luck!
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: