Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #91
happy2012
♫ ♪There's a great big beautiful tomorrow Shinin' at the end of ev'ry day♫ ♪

I'm in!!!
happy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #92
disneyquilter
Just keep swimmin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Welcome and I'm glad that I've been "discovered" makes me practically glow. Or is that the wine? So you're a drinker eh?
I have two teenage daughters. Hands down. Yes, ma'am.

Disneyland...Premium AP since '94...too many trips to count *~* WDW...2005 ASM/CSR ~ 2007 POFQ ~ 2009 CSR ~ 2012 CBR ~ 2015 Wilderness Lodge ~ 2017 AKL
disneyquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2013, 01:52 AM   #93
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettegirl View Post
That CL looks amazing!!!
It was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Brenda, what a very nice spread.

I love that you caught the woman in the window.

One of these days, Mark and I will splurge and try CL. I just worry that we'll ALWAYS be eating. Wait, I did that last month when we were there...I swear I never stopped eating (and my pants told me that when I got home).
Kathy that is the danger! I reserve my loose flowy dresses for later in the trip. You know, no waist bands and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsB1228 View Post
Mmm, is there anything better than a welcome mimosa? The CL offerings look lovely, they really seem to offer a nice variety. Love that you were able to (photographically) capture the woman behind the wall, LOL.

Looking forward to your Jiko review!
The mimosa was a lovely welcome cocktail. They don't offer these at all resorts. At least I asked at YC and they didn't have them.

I told you I was obsessed with getting a photo of the CM setting out the food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslipper View Post
I'm sorry, while I really enjoy the photos and dining reviews, I just find the Pedro comment unnecessary and offensive Oh and just an FYI if you ever eat or drink spicy, drink of choice should be milk, not water to put out the fire.
And for the offense I do apologize. Good judgment failed me there. It was a bad frame of reference.

Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2012 View Post
I'm in!!!
Hi Happy! Thanks for joining here as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyquilter View Post
I have two teenage daughters. Hands down. Yes, ma'am.
So true. So you are a Southern CA gal too!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:08 AM   #94
pattiken
Mouseketeer

Heellloooo mimosa! See just one more reason to stay club level. I just love the theming at this resort.

We would never judge you Brenda..3..4..5 plates whatever lol the more plates the more food we get to see. So funny about getting pic of the arm out if the kitchen.

me , DH , DS 16 , DD 11

universal studios..hard rock hotel 2012 trip report...http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3002065
7 days disney at staying at SSR...ongoing report sep 2012http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3008157
pattiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:18 AM   #95
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

I would so LOVE to stay CL! However just staying at a Deluxe is stretching my budget!! maybe sometime!!

The hidden window for them to refill the food is awesome!! And good to hear they keep the food nice and fresh!
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #96
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

Totally loving the report so far!

BTW, we got on the monorail and sat across from you and Emily on Thursday the 29th. I wanted to say Hi but my 14yo DD said that would be 'totally weird and stalker-ish'.

dancin Disney style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #97
glasslipper
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=emmysmommy;

And for the offense I do apologize. Good judgment failed me there. It was a bad frame of reference.

Thanks for the advice!
QUOTE]

Thank you for the apology, racist remarks are never a good frame of reference. I've had experience with the milk vs water, lol, when my my dd accidentally squirted jalapeno pepper juice in her eye! Not a pretty site!
Old 09-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #98
Tinker12
Mouseketeer

Loving the report!! Also, the TR as well!! I LOVE Animal Kingdom!!
AKL Concierge Sept/Oct 2008, AKL Sept/Oct 2009, CBR Sept/Oct 2010 , POFQ March 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2012 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2013 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2014

Tinker12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #99
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Fell behind this week but am all caught up!

Haven't had breakfast at WCC since the pre Mom & Son report days. It is a never again for dinner for us but maybe breakfast is back in the future.

And those nachos were pathetic. The cast member should be ashamed for calling them amazing!

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #100
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattiken View Post
Heellloooo mimosa! See just one more reason to stay club level. I just love the theming at this resort.

We would never judge you Brenda..3..4..5 plates whatever lol the more plates the more food we get to see. So funny about getting pic of the arm out if the kitchen.
What a great way to be welcomed huh? Definitely my favorite resort for the theming - hands down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps View Post
I would so LOVE to stay CL! However just staying at a Deluxe is stretching my budget!! maybe sometime!!

The hidden window for them to refill the food is awesome!! And good to hear they keep the food nice and fresh!
Don't I recall someone last year staying 2+ weeks with CL AND deluxe DP? I'd rather have the 3 trip tickers in my signature than staying deluxe!

I was quite impressed that they kept such an eye on the food to keep it fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancin Disney style View Post
Totally loving the report so far!

BTW, we got on the monorail and sat across from you and Emily on Thursday the 29th. I wanted to say Hi but my 14yo DD said that would be 'totally weird and stalker-ish'.
Oh my gosh!!!! We were going from MK to DHS, I believe, if my photos tell the story of where we were. You would not have been stalkerish at all! I would have loved to say "hi". That's actually how so many of our accidental Dis meets happened. I hope you had an awesome trip!

Thanks for reading and joining here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslipper View Post
I've had experience with the milk vs water, lol, when my my dd accidentally squirted jalapeno pepper juice in her eye! Not a pretty site!
Oh no! That must have burned. OUCH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker12 View Post
Loving the report!! Also, the TR as well!! I LOVE Animal Kingdom!!
Thank you Tinker! Thank you for joining and for following both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
Fell behind this week but am all caught up!

Haven't had breakfast at WCC since the pre Mom & Son report days. It is a never again for dinner for us but maybe breakfast is back in the future.

And those nachos were pathetic. The cast member should be ashamed for calling them amazing!
Hi birthday girl! I've not been anxious to eat any meal other than breakfast there so I'll take your advice and steer clear.

Perhaps the CM likes cheese goo?? I do wonder about their other food though.... maybe a burrito is good.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #101
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post

Oh my gosh!!!! We were going from MK to DHS, I believe, if my photos tell the story of where we were. You would not have been stalkerish at all! I would have loved to say "hi". That's actually how so many of our accidental Dis meets happened. I hope you had an awesome trip!

Thanks for reading and joining here!

Well....you know what 14yo's are like. EVERYTHING that the parents do is weird and wrong. I can't wait for this stage to pass.

We did have a great time. We stayed offsite this year and only spent that one day at WDW. We started at DHS then on to Epcot and finished the day at MK. We saw you going from Epcot to MK probably around 3pm.

Next trip we are going to stay onsite again and do a total Disney trip.

dancin Disney style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #102
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Day 2: August 17, 2013 - Jiko Dinner

This was our second time to dine at Jiko, the first was last trip during our 1 night stay at AKL. This place became a top 5 immediately and we knew we would dine here again during this stay.

We had some live entertainment that doesn’t occur every night folks. There was a large party of very happy, very well served, very loud women at a table near the entrance. They must have been celebrating something because at one point we heard them break into song that had some words like happ-pp-y biiirth-thhh-day to youuuu. It was hard to make out the exact words since they were slurring their song.

Based on our last dining experience in February, I knew without looking at the menu what I was going to order. And no, it wasn’t the same filet as last time. See, I told you I was trying new dishes. However, it was the beef short-ribs that Em ordered last time that were amazing. Em decided to order the same thing so I guess she didn’t want to mess with a good thing either.

Menu photos

Before our order was placed Chef Jon arrived at our table with an amuse bouche. This truly was compliments of the chef! However…. Me, the queen of not paying attention just thanked the nice man in the chef coat and dug in. I didn’t realize who this was presenting us with his special creation. Hang on to that thought more to come….

The tiny dish was risotto with faro and sunflower seeds and mascarpone. It was delicious. Of course this little teaser made me want that as a sub for any side but I thought better of being greedy and eating everyone else’ amuse bouche.

Risotto Amuse Bouche:

We were presented with the bread basket that has the two kinds of bread and tandoori butter. Always good stuff!

Dabo Bread (Ethiopian honey-wheat) & Flaxseed Focaccia with tandoori butter:

Since we had essentially had our appetizers at the CL lounge a couple hours earlier we skipped right to our main course.

Our braised beef short-ribs arrived with an explanation of the spicy and savory sauces that were presented on the plate. Nice touch in case anyone digging into the red salsa looking stuff didn’t care for the heat that may surprise them.

Spicy Botswana Style “Seswaa” Braised Beef Short-Ribs: Cassava-potato puree, Sambal, mushrooms, and fava beans ($42)

Sorry, my photos rather stink! I’m stealing Em’s photo from our last trip!

As beautiful as the dish may appear in a photo, it can’t convey the wonderful range of flavors that are experienced when enjoying this dish. I loved the spicy Sambal. And of course the fall off the bone beef is unlike anything that grandma roasted in the crock pot! Yep! We are fans of their short ribs.
After enjoying our entrees we considered dessert.

Changes to the dessert menu meant that the wonderful apple spice cake cheesecake is no longer served we didn’t see anything that sparked our interest. Half of the dessert options were either chocolate or coffee flavored which eliminated them as options that I would choose. In the end we passed.
The chocolate pistachio cookies arrived with the bill. That’s a nice marketing touch. Here’s something sweet with your bill! I tasted these last time and they were far too chocolatey for me so I left mine on the plate.

Complimentary chocolate pistachio cookies:

Chef Jon came back around to our table when we were ready to depart. He chatted briefly with us and I couldn’t figure out why one of the cooks was interested in our opinions on the food. Sure, it was fabulous. THEN I HAD AN AHA MOMENT…. THIS WAS CHEF JON… THE CHEF JON. I stopped mid-sentence and pointed my dainty manicured finger in his direction and asked “Who are you?” He did a Vanna White with his hand under his name tag and said, “Chef Jon.” Argh! Figures. See? Not paying attention thing!
I was then able to have a somewhat intelligent conversation with the nice man about the recent menu changes, the fall features that they are testing including venison, and their participation in some F&W offerings. He was an engaging man and I enjoyed our chat. (I’m sure once he set foot back in the kitchen he was thinking that sometimes it doesn’t pay to venture out to mingle with the guests.)

Using our TiW card we saved $17.40.

Bonus photos:

Post Jiko CL Dessert Next

Last edited by emmysmommy; 09-16-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #103
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancin Disney style View Post
Well....you know what 14yo's are like. EVERYTHING that the parents do is weird and wrong. I can't wait for this stage to pass.

We did have a great time. We stayed offsite this year and only spent that one day at WDW. We started at DHS then on to Epcot and finished the day at MK. We saw you going from Epcot to MK probably around 3pm.

Next trip we are going to stay onsite again and do a total Disney trip.
Ha ha! I get the 14 yr old thing. Glad to hear you had a great trip.

The 29th was our last full day at WDW so we hit up 3 of the parks. Epcot was our last stop before going back to our hotel. We must have taken the monorail from Epcot to the TTC and then the resort monorail. You have a great memory!!

I shared this with Em and her first comment was I hope we weren't in a bad mood or looking horrid!!
Old 09-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #104
francis6306
DIS Veteran

So THIS is where all the action has been….

I have caught up (Thanks for the links!!) Sorry about the not-so-amazing nachos! That WCC Breakfast menu looks amazing. Didn't I JUST say we were NOT going to WCC this trip? You are going to make me change my mind, Missy!!!!! We'll see… we'll see. I LOVE the huge Mickey Waffle!

July '14 Girl's Trip!! PTR

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
francis6306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #105
francis6306
DIS Veteran

Oops! While I was typing, you posted the Jiko review! That looks amazing too!!

July '14 Girl's Trip!! PTR

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
francis6306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: