Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2014, 01:19 AM   #1
jenny-d
Mouseketeer

Plaza Restaurant--will not be returning

Frustrating dining experience. There with husband and dd 13, ds 11. I knew it was going to be trouble when the hostess didn't want to give them kids menus when they asked. She asked me how old they were and again asked them each when we sat down. I've never before had an issue with them ordering off the kids menu. They are both very picky light eaters so it never makes sense to order adult portions. Wasteful of food and money. So instead of their meals being $8.59 including drink and dessert they were each $13.99 plus drink and dessert. They both ordered grilled cheese and fries and they said they had to charge the adult price which was $13.99! If I hadn't been so surprised and thrown off by it I should have just had them split a meal. Not to mention the server was kind of snippy. Not a good experience and this was once of my favorite places to catch a somewhat inexpensive dinner in the past. Unfortunately we will not be returning.
jenny-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

sad that you had such a bad experience. We have only been once and that was also terrible more down to service than food. We went before a MNSSHP and they were running one hour behind which meant that by the time they were seated the wait staff were clearly cashing up - sorry for them but not our problem. The main meals were almost thrown at us, the waitress sighed that we wanted dessert (which was the main reason we had booked there) and then took 40 minutes to bill us because the cash register was doing it's thing and then charged us twice. Shame as actually the food wasn't bad.

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Wow, that is so opposite of any of my experiences at the Plaza that I'm kind of shocked. I've eaten there many times, and have had nothing but great experiences.

I'm hoping that you ran into an over-zealous server, and Disney isn't going to be strict on only young kids ordering off of the kids menus.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
spodie
Mouseketeer

I have always really enjoyed The Plaza - never have had a bad experience! In fact, we just ate there yesterday for lunch and had a great time. It is always a nice, quiet place to go where you can still feel like you're in the middle of it all, which is the main reason why we like it. The prices are very good for what you're getting, too.

The only weird thing that has happened to us happened yesterday when our server (who was very attentive and friendly) tried to rush us a little into ordering dessert, but got the hint when we made it clear that we were not quite ready.

Hope what you had was just a bad experience with a server, since it really is a great place to get a good meal!
Old 02-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

Yikes!! $13.99 for a grilled cheese!! Hope it was really tasty!
Sorry you had an unpleasant meal, especially at those prices!
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Sorry you had a bad experience, although I have to say that the kids' menus at Disney are very clearly for those aged 9 and under so it is absolutely the restaurant's prerogative to charge an adult price for their meal. There is no excuse for rudeness from a server though (presuming that it was you meant by 'snippy'). I am not surprised you were unhappy about having to pay that price for a grilled cheese though. What a shame you couldn't find anything on the adult menu they might have liked.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
ready2cmickeymouse
Mouseketeer

Expensive Grilled Cheese

I had a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato bisque at Beaches and Cream a couple of weeks ago and it was $8.99. It was very good and good value for the money. You would think grilled cheese and fries would be about the same price. They are both table service restaurants with limited menus.
ready2cmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #8
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2cmickeymouse View Post
I had a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato bisque at Beaches and Cream a couple of weeks ago and it was $8.99. It was very good and good value for the money. You would think grilled cheese and fries would be about the same price. They are both table service restaurants with limited menus.
As grilled cheese is not on the adult menu, I'm wondering if they upped the size of the child's meal (which they do offer) and then upped the cost as well.

People have reported being able to get larger portions of items on the kid's menus for a higher cost. I'm thinking that is what happened here, though the OP didn't need or want larger portions. Seems strange to force it on them.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #9
ready2cmickeymouse
Mouseketeer

Adult Grilled Cheese

That $8.99 was the price off the adult menu. It just surprises me it is so much more @ The Plaza.
ready2cmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #10
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2cmickeymouse View Post
That $8.99 was the price off the adult menu. It just surprises me it is so much more @ The Plaza.
It is not on the adult menu at the Plaza. They only offer it on the child's menu, and then it would be a smaller size as well. I'm guessing as they were forcing the OP's kids to order as adults that they made the sandwich larger, and then increased the price to match.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #11
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

Hope it was the best grilled cheese they ever had. I have read several times on here that The Plaza will not allow an "adult" (10+) to order a kids meal. I had planned to eat there last trip but couldn't find room in our schedule for it. My ds12 refuses to order from a kids menu anywhere. He says he's too old for them-I've had to drink from many a little plastic kids cup because servers bring his drink in them. Then he can barely make a dent in the food. Dd10 will be an "adult" next time as well. We usually split meals with her so I would imagine that will continue.
WantToGoNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #12
dachsie
Mouseketeer

I spoke with DD on the phone to ask about ordering from Kid's menus because of WLS. The lady said you could order off the kids menus from any ala carte restaurant but you would be charge the adult prices at buffets.
dachsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #13
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachsie View Post
I spoke with DD on the phone to ask about ordering from Kid's menus because of WLS. The lady said you could order off the kids menus from any ala carte restaurant but you would be charge the adult prices at buffets.
I'm a bit confused. Who did that information come from? Because there are a few restaurants that are not owned by Disney, and as such Disney has no say over who they do or don't allow to order off of their childrens menu.

You also have to take whatever you are told over the phone with a grain of salt, when it comes to anything at WDW. You can be told one thing over the phone and run into something else entirely while you are at the parks.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #14
dachsie
Mouseketeer

It was Disney Dining. I guess i am not as versed in who to believe in regards to Disney. I took it as the truth for a Disney restaurant.
dachsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:08 PM   #15
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachsie View Post
It was Disney Dining. I guess i am not as versed in who to believe in regards to Disney. I took it as the truth for a Disney restaurant.
Unfortunately you have to take whatever they tell you over the phone with a grain of salt. You can call 5 times and get 5 different answers. It is a sad Disney fact that they can and sometimes do give bad information out over the phone.

I've learned when I have a question the people on the Dis know more about what is truly policy than the people that work at their call center.

By the way DD means Dear Daughter on the Dis. Which is why I was confused by your previous post.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: