Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > Podcast Cruises
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #91
bjkjoy
Mouseketeer

Smile Ports? What Ports?

Forget the ports. We are going to treat them all as "Sea Days."
bjkjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #92
NitroStitch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjkjoy View Post
I have the feeling we may do much the same. Castaway Cay will be our port.

I just need to win the lottery in order to have enough time off and money for my Disney fixes. That's all.
NitroStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #93
TadyBug
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Sea Days and Castaway Cay. Sounds like the perfect cruise to me!
TadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #94
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
So true. If I can keep Val out of the mexican ports it will be a much cheaper cruise than PCC 4.0 was.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #95
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Jamaica will be a new port for me, and I would like to go to Tulum if it's offered out of Cozumel (the only Mexican port). I learned to like DCL's sea days on the May Transatlantic, but I won't make "sea days" out of port days. There isn't much scheduled onboard for adults while the ship is in port.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #96
Merry Mousketeer
I've got a lot above my ears
We never miss them when we visit DL

Tulum was offered by DCL on the last Podcast Cruise. We had an excellent tour guide. Based on my experience, I highly recommend it.
Merry Mousketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #97
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Mousketeer View Post
Tulum was offered by DCL on the last Podcast Cruise. We had an excellent tour guide. Based on my experience, I highly recommend it.
Thanks! I almost booked it on that cruise, then decided to visit the San Gervasio Ruins closer to Cozumel. I think our port time in Cozumel is shorter on the Magic than it was on the Fantasy, but it should still be long enough to do the ship's tour.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #98
bjkjoy
Mouseketeer

Sea Days vs Port Days

Usually the ship is not nearly as busy on port days but I'm afraid this cruise may be different. More will stay on ship and it won't make much difference. We just can't spend our money on board either. Come to think of it...that's ok too.
bjkjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #99
Lindaland
Mouseketeer

YAY!! Got my spot for the cruise and I am sooooooo excited!!

Lindaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #100
willie28
Earning My Ears

From what some people are posting, it sounds like we should stay on the ship during the port days. Is it not worth it to do any of the excursions, or not safe to walk around? For us who've never been on the Western Caribbean cruise before, or any cruise for that matter, I'm getting the feeling that no one is too excited to visit these ports. As first timers, we're pretty darn excited to be going! Has anyone done any excursions that they enjoyed, or can recommend? (Or definitely not do?!) There are just so many of them!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #101
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie28 View Post
From what some people are posting, it sounds like we should stay on the ship during the port days. Is it not worth it to do any of the excursions, or not safe to walk around? For us who've never been on the Western Caribbean cruise before, or any cruise for that matter, I'm getting the feeling that no one is too excited to visit these ports. As first timers, we're pretty darn excited to be going! Has anyone done any excursions that they enjoyed, or can recommend? (Or definitely not do?!) There are just so many of them!
The only time I stayed on the ship rather than go into town was on my 4th visit to Nassau. I like visiting ports (even Mexico!), and have enjoyed Cozumel (ship tour to San Gervasio Mayan ruins - with plans to go to Tulum on the Magic) and Grand Cayman (Stingray and Island tour with Native Way Watersports: http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/). I have read Jamaica has its safety issues, so I would tour there with a group (ship tour or private) and not wander on your own.

Check out the Caribbean Ports of Call forums on Cruise Critic for help with each port: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587
Old 09-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #102
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

We were on Podcast Cruise 4.0 which was also a Western Caribbean- and our first Western Caribbean as well.

Some people did stay on the ship- but I think most did get off- if even only to shop right in the port area. And many people who have cruised to these ports many times enjoy the ship better than the ports.

We got off at every stop. 2 of the locations ton PCC 5.0 will be the same- Cozumel and Grand Cayman. We did not want to spend an hour on a bus (each way) going to the ruins, but we did want to say we were in Mexico and have some sort of experience in each port. We did the DCL excursions in Grand Cayman and Cozumel because we had never been to these places before and felt safer being in Disney's hands than exploring on our own.

In Cozumel, we did a Disney Cruise Line excursion called "Tequila and Tacos" - it was not too expensive and included lunch. And it did not take all day. We still had time to enjoy the ship. We enjoyed it so much, we would consider repeating this (or something similar) if we can get a group together this time.

In Grand Cayman- we did another DCL excursion- the "Grand Cayman Island Tour". It took us to the Cayman Turtle Farm, the town of Hell, and a ride-through tour of Georgetown. It was fun, not too expensive and only about 3 hours long. So we were able to participate in a fun DIS activity (Bunco) in the morning before our excursion.

One of the things that makes it hard (for me) to plan excursions, is that John & I love to attend as many of the DIS events as we can. We enjoy the company of our fellow DISers and the activities are always lots of fun. Often we do not find out about these events until much closer to cruise time. So even though I can be an uber-planner, I have to give that up for a Podcast Cruise if I want more of the DIS experiences.

Another thing- is that more and more many of the DIS events are planned by our fellow cruisers and not the Team. We have had wine tastings, cocktail classes, Bunco, Bingo and more.TONS of fun, and we usually find a way to raise a little money for Give Kids the World while we are doing it.

So, read up of the available options in each port and pick a few you think you might like. Then wait and watch the boards here to see what else is being planned!

John & I do not want to cruise any other way than with hundreds of our closest friends!

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #103
willie28
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much, NancyIL and wdwscout, for the suggestions!!
Old 09-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #104
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

I have 2 ports, Senor Frogs and the Serenity Bay Bar

on that note, all you dancers better start practicing! Time to do the Wobble!
http://youtu.be/8vTIY0xHBUg
And Thriller!

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #105
DSNYDREAMER
Cruising with Unlimited Dreams
Ring of fire! Ring of fire!

Last Day for Price Freeze!!

Today is the last day we will know what the pricing is for this cruise. The price freeze will expire at the end of today, after that we don't know what will happen with the pricing it is out of our hands. We don't know if it will increase right away or take a few days...we also don't know if only some categories will change or all of them will.

In order to get in on the pricing listed in the link, you will need to submit your quote request by 4pm EST today, Monday September 23rd!

DSNYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: