Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #496
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the lights that are in the ground around Spaceship Earth shall heretofore be referred to as "leprechaun lights".

"Oooohhh, look at the leprechaun lights!"

That is an absolutely perfect name for those lights! Way to go Joaquin!

Speaking of Joaquin, is he really scared of mannequins? Poor thing. The must have been one heck of a nightmare.

Fun dinner. I thought for sure that was going to be a picture of Jason dancing to the German band. How could I possibly guess he had morphed to a nordic warrior.

Great update!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #497
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba22 View Post
When someone makes a lame joke or I just blatantly haveno idea what they're talking about, I will actually say "cricket....cricket..." while staring at them, blankly.

My brother loves Guinness.... Maybe I should try it...
I like that! I may have to do that. I normally just give them an icy stupid stare.

Guinness is heaven to me. I admit, it's not for everyone, but many non "beer" drinkers will drink it. In my opinion, it's in a league of it's own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
That is an absolutely perfect name for those lights! Way to go Joaquin!

Speaking of Joaquin, is he really scared of mannequins? Poor thing. The must have been one heck of a nightmare.

Fun dinner. I thought for sure that was going to be a picture of Jason dancing to the German band. How could I possibly guess he had morphed to a nordic warrior.

Great update!
Every time I see them now, I'm going to say "the leprechaun lights!" We had no idea where he came up with that and what leprechauns had to do with anything, but you know. He's Joaquin.

He is really scared of mannequins. Honestly, we have no idea why and where it started, but he's legitimately afraid of them. JCPenney is his least favorite place, because they're all over those stores!
IheartDDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #498
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Just an Interlude

Hi guys!

So I have a trip coming up in January and I wanted to share some details about it. One of the main reasons I wanted to do that is because I got to book our FP+ yesterday! I'll tell you a little about our FP+ story a little later in this post.

We booked this trip on a whim, because honestly, my Mom, Dad, and I were in a Disney depression and were trying to figure out how to get out of it. We have trips planned in May and November already, but we wanted to go back sooner.

My Dad has a new Volkswagon Passat TDI, and he's been obsessing over the fact that the car gets 700 miles to a tank. Insane right? The beauty of diesel though. He pays about $55 to $60 and gets 700 miles. Ridiculous!

So I talked to him and just curiously brought up the idea of driving to WDW. I then did the "fuzzy Disney math" for him, proving just how affordable it would be if we drove.

Why would it be affordable?

1) We already have APs.
2) We are DVC members.
3) His car gets 700 miles to the tank
4) I willed it to be affordable.

At 700 miles to the tank at $60 a tank, we would only have to fill up twice each way. 4 fill ups = $240.

Add in $100 a hotel room for two nights (one night down and one night back)= $200

So total travel expenses would be $440. Split between three people.

Crazy, right?! How could we not go.

So we will be there from January 18th to the 25th.

When we booked, the only DVC that was available was Saratoga Springs. We are wait listed for the Boardwalk and the Grand Floridian Villas, but I'm not counting on them coming through.

(Courtesy of Photobucket)

Now, let me tell you about my FP+ story.

So I have a MyDisneyExperience login and so does my Mom. My Mom is the one who made the reservation through DVC. It automatically linked to her MyDisneyExperience. I logged in to her account to check on everything, and things were a little weird.

There were two versions of me on the account. A dummy version, and the "real" version of me from my side of MyDisneyExperience. Except the part of me that was linked to the reservation was not the real me. It was the dummy version. And I couldn't make a change to it, because I had a reservation linked.

Really?! So, I called Disney and waited on hold for 20 minutes for someone to come through. I explained it to them and she said she would go through and make the appropriate fixes. She had me on hold for 15 minutes while she did that, only to come back and say there were some problems on the backend, and that she would correct it and I could check it in about an hour.

So I logged in the next day. And it was still the wrong version of me linked to the hotel reservation.

The problem with this is the fact that my AP couldn't be linked to this new version of me because guess what? I had linked it to my real account already.

Confused yet? I was frustrated, because I knew that in order to participate in the MB testing, I needed to have my AP linked.

I logged in to DVCmember.com and noted there that they had some handy dandy reference that said "if your account has multiple versions of a person linked, give us a call".

I said great! I called them and she was able to fix it in a matter of minutes. So, I don't know what the other CM was doing that didn't fix it, but the CM at Member Services was able to do it lickity split.

Fast forward to yesterday. We finally get the email that we can make our FP+ reservations. So I go "yay!"

Log in. Make the first day. Woo hoo. Try to make the second day. And it's telling me that a member of our party (me if you're curious) was at the FP+ limit.

So I had to call Disney. Again. And was placed on hold. Again. Got transferred to Internet Services.

She told me that they had been having this problem on the website, and that they were working on it. She said that while she couldn't fix it, she could make my FP+ reservations for me.

Woooooooo.

So, as it stands, here are our FP+ reservations.

Sunday January 19 -
Tower of Terror - 9:40am to 10:40am
Toy Story Mania - 11:25am to 12:25pm
Star Tours 12:55pm to 1:55pm

Monday January 20 -
Space Mountain - 9:50am to 10:50am
Thunder Mountain - 11:50am to 12:50pm
Peter Pan - 1:35pm to 2:35pm

I know you're asking yourself why no BOG for lunch. It's because she said we couldn't make it. I tried to make it myself through the BOG lunch link and it's not allowing me to either. So we'll wait in line.

Tuesday January 21 -
Ssssshhhhhh. We're going to the Dark Side......

Wednesday January 22 -
Mission Space - 9:45am to 10:45am
Soarin' - 11:30am to 12:30pm
Turtle Talk with Crush - 12:45pm to 1:45pm

Riddle me this. Why is the Maelstrom a category 1 and Mission Space is a category 2 FP+? Hmmmmm.....

Thursday January 23 -
Kilimanjaro Safari - 9:10am to 10:10am
Expedition Everest - 11am to 12pm
Dinosaur - 12:30pm to 1:30pm

Friday January 24 -
Under the Sea - 10:30am to 11:30am
Enchanted Tales with Belle - 11:40am to 12:40pm
Haunted Mansion - 1:05pm to 2:05pm

Saturday January 25 -
Test Track - 9:35am to 10:35am
Finding Nemo - 11:10am to 12:10pm
Imagination - 12:25pm to 1:25pm

I'm super excited for the FP+ plans and I'm very much looking forward to experiencing the MB's. My experience thus far with the process hasn't been the smoothest, but I'm going to attribute that to it's newness. Good thing I'm a laid back person y'all!

Throughout the next few weeks, in between normal updates, I'll just insert some PTR plans, like where are we eating?! That's super important you know.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.
IheartDDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #499
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Totally haven't read the latest update because I just realised that missed one!!!

So Biergarten! How cool that the CM made note of your parents' anniversary like that. Very cool.

I have read so many great things about Biergarten. I have never been tempted to book an ADR there though. I have to believe that we are really missing something.

Those dang yeti stuffies - such lushes!!! DRANKS!

Joaquin is just so funny - I love all his crazy pics, the ridiculous song, everything. What a lot of personality that kid has! Can't begin to imagine where he gets it…..
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #500
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

It's really hard to argue with your math. Especially when it comes to Disney

We're going to just miss you and your family. We'll be arriving on January 28th. Our 60 day mark is coming up next week and I'm just bracing for impact about making the FP+ ressies. To make things more complicated I'm juggling two separate packages: one for my family of 4 and one for my brother's family of 3. Would you like to place odds on whether this will go smoothly?

Anyway happy to hear you finally worked it out although that was a lot of leg work on your part. Or I should say phone work.

All We Want Is To Spend Halloween with Mickey! October 2014 PTR with MiniTRs to Disney Cali Adventure, Oahu, San Diego, and Vegas
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

DaveinFallsChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #501
RGirl
DIS Veteran

What a disaster with the FP+ stuff. I'm glad you got it fixed. I am pretty excited to read about that trip and how it works. It will be at least 2015 before we are back, so I haven't kept that up to speed on the FP+ developments.

I love Disney economics. :

I have always been kind of intrigued with SSR - I am sure you are hoping to get BW or another resort, but if you end up at SSR, I will be interested to read all about it.
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #502
courtneybelle
I don't have a skull. Or bones.

ROAD TRIP TO DISNEY! With it being that affordable there's no way you could pass it up.

Saratoga Springs looks lovely. I'll be crossing my fingers you get GFlo, though. The penguin fountain in the lobby? I just about died when I saw the picture.

Ugh, that's so frustrating about the MDE. There are a lot of kinks in that site that need to be worked out. I'm glad you got reservations made, though!

Don't lose hope on BOG. We literally were just able to book for Dec. 1 this past week. So maybe late December/early January it'll open up. It also doesn't count as one of your FP+ entitlements so you don't have to give up any of your current reservations

The Maelstrom is one of the most popular rides in Disney, clearly.
courtneybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #503
precious pixie
DIS Veteran

I love when disney math actually makes sense and not just because we pretend it does

I have a crush on a mouse
precious pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #504
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

Wow, I want a diesel with that gas mileage! We're driving down in June but our car only gets ~ 20 mpg highway
If you've never been during MLK holiday week, just be prepared for crowds, DH's birthday is the 21st and we've gone 3 or 4 times and it was crowded. But yaay for MDE, that should definitely help!
I hope your waitlist comes through, but at least you're onsite!

Upcoming: 12/21/14-12/28/14 WDW**2/27/15-3/3/15 WDW
CarolynK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #505
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Personally I like number 4 on your list of reasons it would be affordable.

I so love reading about MyDisneyExperience stories. Buy I also love Halloween and horror movies, so that might explain it.

Oh dear, I see you are part of the tier testing.

Keep trying the BOG link!!! Unless the DVC reservaton is different than a "normal" reservation. I was only able to make one last week for early December. Before that there was nothing, so they are late releasing the dates. Then again, maybe they'll do away with it by then entirely. At least it doesn't count as one of the 3 FP selections.

I imagine Mission Space is a Tier 2 for the same reason ToT is a tier 2... so there's at least something half decent in the second tier. Maybe.

I'm super glad you're looking forward to FP+ (despite the bumps). I'm keeping an open mind as well.
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #506
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Um, yeah, if I could do a week long trip that cheap, I'd be driving down there in a second!

Ugh FP+. Just reading about your experience stresses me out. I'm going in 9 days and i still don't have FP reservations because I don't have tickets, so I'm just praying there will be some good times available for Soarin' and ToT once I get there!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Nermel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #507
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Gotta love Fuzzy Disney Math! Although yours does seem pretty legit!

Sorry about your FP+ trouble! We didn't know anything about it when we were there in October and just made ressies on a whim while we were there! It worked out great but I have a feeling it won't be so easy as the program expands.
Simba22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #508
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

That's too cheap to pass up! But I'm with a PP, keep trying the BOG link. I had the same issue but was later able to book at FP+ for lunch, so don't give up!
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #509
DVCWDWMEMBER
Mouseketeer

it can be frustrating when a company launches new stuff. Anything Internet related will always have Hiccup along the way. The unfortunate thing is we are naturally the ones who experience them. I think in a bit of time all will be running smoothly for sure. I always remember that there was a time we had to do everything by phone....... and sometimes stay on the line for 1/2 hour.

For me anything Disney related is no problem..... I can wait because I LUV WDW.....
6/85 Offsite:12/86 DI: 8/88, 1/98, 5/00 DLR- Offsite:12/91 CR: 11/93 FWC: 1/99 POFQ: 9/99 CSR:01/02 CB/PR: 01/03 BCV: 12/03 DCL/BCV:10/04, 10/08 SSR: 05/05 PR: 01/06 WL: 05/06 GC-DLR: 11/06 POFQ: 02/07 DLH-DLR:11/07 BWV/POR: 05/08 OKW/VB: 05/09 AK/VB:10/09 GF:09/10 Disneyland Paris :11/10 POP: 07/11 BLT: 9/11 OKW: 6/12 Disneyland Paris : 7/13 WL,SSR-THV,AK :1/14 SSR:5/14 BC :11/14 WL: 2/15 AK: 8/15 DLH

DVCWDWMEMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #510
DVCWDWMEMBER
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
Wow, I want a diesel with that gas mileage! We're driving down in June but our car only gets ~ 20 mpg highway
If you've never been during MLK holiday week, just be prepared for crowds, DH's birthday is the 21st and we've gone 3 or 4 times and it was crowded. But yaay for MDE, that should definitely help!
I hope your waitlist comes through, but at least you're onsite!
We love our VW Passat TDI. It is a very comfortable and economical car for sure. Can't wait to see if we improve the mileage on the trip in January. I am sure Danielle will post it on the TR.
6/85 Offsite:12/86 DI: 8/88, 1/98, 5/00 DLR- Offsite:12/91 CR: 11/93 FWC: 1/99 POFQ: 9/99 CSR:01/02 CB/PR: 01/03 BCV: 12/03 DCL/BCV:10/04, 10/08 SSR: 05/05 PR: 01/06 WL: 05/06 GC-DLR: 11/06 POFQ: 02/07 DLH-DLR:11/07 BWV/POR: 05/08 OKW/VB: 05/09 AK/VB:10/09 GF:09/10 Disneyland Paris :11/10 POP: 07/11 BLT: 9/11 OKW: 6/12 Disneyland Paris : 7/13 WL,SSR-THV,AK :1/14 SSR:5/14 BC :11/14 WL: 2/15 AK: 8/15 DLH

DVCWDWMEMBER is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: