Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #211
DVCWDWMEMBER
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
The Treehouse Villas are very nice. One day I will stay there. I just cannot justify it with only the 2 of us.
The BBQ looked like fun. The food looked good being I cannot eat it. LOL
Nice mugs.
My father was in Vietnam but he died there. He stepped on a landmine.
All caught up. Looking forward to more.
So sorry that you lost your dad in Vietnam. Danielle's dad (my husband) lost a lot of guys from his unit. He was fortunate to come back.
6/85 Offsite:12/86 DI: 8/88, 1/98, 5/00 DLR- Offsite:12/91 CR: 11/93 FWC: 1/99 POFQ: 9/99 CSR:01/02 CB/PR: 01/03 BCV: 12/03 DCL/BCV:10/04, 10/08 SSR: 05/05 PR: 01/06 WL: 05/06 GC-DLR: 11/06 POFQ: 02/07 DLH-DLR:11/07 BWV/POR: 05/08 OKW/VB: 05/09 AK/VB:10/09 GF:09/10 Disneyland Paris :11/10 POP: 07/11 BLT: 9/11 OKW: 6/12 Disneyland Paris : 7/13 WL,SSR-THV,AK :1/14 SSR:5/14 BC :11/14 WL

DVCWDWMEMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #212
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

You Can Get a JalapAno Pretzel!!!!!

Day 2 - Friday July 5, 2013

On with our first full, real day in the world!

First though, pay attention to my updates going forward. I'm going to start instituting some fun. I'm going to do a mini update mid-week called:

"What the heck is going on in this picture?"

You can postulate guesses as to what's occurring in the picture. And in the subsequent update to follow, I will tell you what actually happened.

The other thing I'm going to put in my updates is a segment called:

"What on earth is wrong with my family????"

I think that essentially sums up what you're bound to see. It shouldn't be a surprise.

The final thing I'm going to institute, is something I'd like to call "wait......what?!" Basically, whenever we have a "what on earth?!" moment during the update, you'll see a picture of my Pop that looks like this....

Sound like fun? I think so!!!!

Onward!

So on this day, we were heading to the Animal Kingdom. We were a little slower going this morning, based on our jam packed schedule the day before. I was up by 7:30, and everyone else followed shortly thereafter.

We all gathered around for some breakfast. Cereal, bagels, muffins. You know. Glamorous stuff!

And Pop....well.....he found glow sticks and apparently was trying to get back to Ork.

I got to work on adding some flair to my hair for the day.

I added some flair to Gavin's hair for the day too.

And Jeni decided, since we were so uber awesome, that she would dress to match our hair!

Selfies before leaving. We were definitely ready to go. At this point, I have no idea where everyone else was. Obvs they were being slow in the villa.

I also made sure to dress appropriately for the day. This shirt totally makes me want to go "cheetah....grrr.....grrrr" 10 points to anyone who gets that reference!

So now I have to regale you with a story about my Pop. My Pop is an excellent driver. Yet somehow, in WDW, he becomes directionally challenged. And it always has to do with either the Animal Kingdom, or the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Case and point: On one of the days my parents were in WDW before us, they had a reservation at Jiko. Which meant they had to drive to the Animal Kingdom Lodge to get to their dining reservation. So Mom texts me to tell me how great their dinner was. And while she's texting me, she says "your Dad just missed the exit to get back!"

Now, this is humorous because, many years ago, on a trip with just my Dad and I, we had dinner at Jiko. And he did the SAME THING!

So this morning, we're driving to the Animal Kingdom. And he completely boofed the exit to get to the park!

To which Joaquin says:

"Why aren't we at Disney yet?!"

Well kiddo. Poppy took a little detour. But technically, we are in Disney. Of course, we had to give Pop grief about the fact that he can't find his way out of a paper bag apparently.

Finally......1,298,456 years later, we made it to the parking lot.

Shortly after, we were at the entrance and getting some pictures.

We head into the park, and I turn to Jason and say "you can get a jalapano pretzel!"

Did you read that right. Yes ladies and gentlemen....I said jalapAno, with and emphasis on an A that is not even in the word. I have no idea what my deal was. Jason says to me "Potato soup!"

Let me explain Potato Soup to you. Jeni, when she orders food, or has to talk to people that aren't us, talks very quietly for some reason. We don't understand, because she's not a quiet person. So right before we left Chicago, we had eaten at Potbelly's, where they have very yummy potato soup. So when she orders it at the counter, she goes "potato soup", in a very weak, small voice.

The employee goes: "I'm sorry, what?"

Jeni: "Potato soup"

Very quietly.

Finally, Jason had to interject and order for her.

So they get up to the register to pay, and the person at the register says "what do you guys have here?"

And Jeni literally yells: "POTATO SOUP!!!!!!"

So it became a running joke for so many things, but mostly we said it when someone had no idea what the heck we were talking about.

Anyway!

We were in!

We took the kids through some of the small walkways up through the Oasis.

Of course, we had to stop for some PP pictures.

Gavin, I think, was trying to cast a spell. I don't know what his deal was.

I now bring you to our first segment of.....

"What the heck is wrong with my family?"

There aren't words to describe what is going on with Joaquin's face.....because I have no idea!

Gavin wanted to bring Yeti on a tour.

Can you spot the Yeti?!

Holla! That's his home in the background.

Our first destination was to pick up some fastpasses for Expedition Everest. But not without taking more PP pictures! And I have NO idea where everyone else was.

We picked up the fastpasses for EE, with a return time of between 1pm and 2pm. Not bad. That would work perfectly with us getting out of the park on time for our pool break. Remember everyone. It's July. There is NO WAY we are going to stay in the parks for the whole day. We would all melt. And then subsequently turn on each other. People may get injured. I'm just saying.

So after we picked up our fastpasses, where was our first ride going to be? Where any self respecting people would take a 5 year old and a 9 year old.

Gotta leave you hanging there my evil friends.

Up next: Jane....get me off this crazy thing!

Last edited by IheartDDuck; 09-21-2013 at 06:11 PM.
IheartDDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #213
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

There must be something about AK that dad's just can't find it. My dad got lost on 3 different rides there all in the same trip!

Great PP pics. You can tell you're all having so much fun

dawnbu40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #214
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

I think AK is the hottest park, as in, even on a relatively cool Florida day you will sweat in AK...so in July it's almost unbearable (been there...)!! Yeah, you need the pool break!
To be fair to your dad, I think the signage in WDW is terrible!! Probably not his fault!!

Upcoming: 12/21/14-12/27/14 WDW**April 2-6 WDW
CarolynK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #215
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Great update! I just love how much fun your family has together - it is wonderful!

Okay - your pop is the cutest thing ever.

I love the Hair Flair!

You got some great PP pics too, and I especially love the pic of the yeti ON EE in the background. Too funny!
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #216
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbu40 View Post
There must be something about AK that dad's just can't find it. My dad got lost on 3 different rides there all in the same trip!

Great PP pics. You can tell you're all having so much fun
Haha, maybe there is some truth to that. I don't know what it is about the area, but my Dad always gets turned around. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's because of his excitement, and he just gets distracted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
I think AK is the hottest park, as in, even on a relatively cool Florida day you will sweat in AK...so in July it's almost unbearable (been there...)!! Yeah, you need the pool break!
To be fair to your dad, I think the signage in WDW is terrible!! Probably not his fault!!
OMG, isn't it though? It truly is so stinking hot there all the time.

We made sure that we took pool breaks pretty much every day. It was absolutely necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Great update! I just love how much fun your family has together - it is wonderful!

Okay - your pop is the cutest thing ever.

I love the Hair Flair!

You got some great PP pics too, and I especially love the pic of the yeti ON EE in the background. Too funny!
Thanks! We always have tons of fun together. It is a really nice thing, because I feel like there are those people out there that are families that don't get along. I feel very fortunate.

Hahaha, I have another Pop convert. That's the general consensus on the boards. And it's making his head get bigger.

I actually have purple hair flair, but I never got around to using it on the trip. It's awesome stuff.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #217
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post

I now bring you to our first segment of.....

"What the heck is wrong with my family?"

There aren't words to describe what is going on with Joaquin's face.....because I have no idea!

Somebody just told Joaquin that he was going to sit next to Yeti on Dinosaur and he said "On NOOOOOOOOO".

Honestly, I have no idea.

But I will tell you that Denny gets lost nearly everytime we go to AK. He always misses the turn even with the GPS on. Then we end up on Rt 192 and go some backstage way ending up in the opposite direction. Trust me, this has happened multiple times until I finally learned I need to turn off the candy crush and pay attention.

Love the pink thing you've got going on!

Great PP pics too!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #219
courtneybelle
I don't have a skull. Or bones.

Uhm, that picture of your pop is PRICELESS. I love the update ideas.

I love the pink in your hair! Pink's my color.

And the Yeti returns home how touching.

Definitely a good idea to take a break. AK is so brutally hot in the summer. Not pleasant.
courtneybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #220
DVCWDWMEMBER
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post

Our first destination was to pick up some fastpasses for Expedition Everest. But not without taking more PP pictures! And I have NO idea where everyone else was.

We picked up the fastpasses for EE, with a return time of between 1pm and 2pm. Not bad. That would work perfectly with us getting out of the park on time for our pool break. Remember everyone. It's July. There is NO WAY we are going to stay in the parks for the whole day. We would all melt. And then subsequently turn on each other. People may get injured. I'm just saying.

So after we picked up our fastpasses, where was our first ride going to be? Where any self respecting people would take a 5 year old and a 9 year old.

Gotta leave you hanging there my evil friends.

Up next: Jane....get me off this crazy thing!
I have no idea where we were either. Do you think we got lost again because dad was driving???
6/85 Offsite:12/86 DI: 8/88, 1/98, 5/00 DLR- Offsite:12/91 CR: 11/93 FWC: 1/99 POFQ: 9/99 CSR:01/02 CB/PR: 01/03 BCV: 12/03 DCL/BCV:10/04, 10/08 SSR: 05/05 PR: 01/06 WL: 05/06 GC-DLR: 11/06 POFQ: 02/07 DLH-DLR:11/07 BWV/POR: 05/08 OKW/VB: 05/09 AK/VB:10/09 GF:09/10 Disneyland Paris :11/10 POP: 07/11 BLT: 9/11 OKW: 6/12 Disneyland Paris : 7/13 WL,SSR-THV,AK :1/14 SSR:5/14 BC :11/14 WL

DVCWDWMEMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #221
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Somebody just told Joaquin that he was going to sit next to Yeti on Dinosaur and he said "On NOOOOOOOOO".

Honestly, I have no idea.
That is a very viable option though. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
But I will tell you that Denny gets lost nearly everytime we go to AK. He always misses the turn even with the GPS on. Then we end up on Rt 192 and go some backstage way ending up in the opposite direction. Trust me, this has happened multiple times until I finally learned I need to turn off the candy crush and pay attention.

Love the pink thing you've got going on!

Great PP pics too!
Turning off candy crush would be a good thing. So what we're essentially saying it that it appears to be a man thing with getting lost on the way to AK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Another hilarious update - thank you !!

I love your hair flair. And your Dad - seriously. How do you not laugh at him constantly??

My DH always misses an exit or too during our trip. Even though I am yelling from the passenger side "take this exit!!" Often we have this scenario going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjsTZzP8nkI
Anytime! I always try for the hilarity at some point. If I fail, you are welcome to cyber slap me.

Ummmm, I have to tell you a secret....we do laugh at him constantly. And often, it's at his expense.

Haha! Yeah. See, in my Dad's case, if you do that to him, you end up with a.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneybelle View Post
Uhm, that picture of your pop is PRICELESS. I love the update ideas.

I love the pink in your hair! Pink's my color.

And the Yeti returns home how touching.

Definitely a good idea to take a break. AK is so brutally hot in the summer. Not pleasant.
Thanks! When I got the PP pictures, I zoomed in on all of them and was like "yup....that'll do!" We have no shame in my family and we embarrass each other at every turn, so he's on board!

I liked the pink. Purple is mine, and I had some purple hair flair, but never got around to wearing it.

I know. I have to be good to my Yeti child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCWDWMEMBER View Post
I have no idea where we were either. Do you think we got lost again because dad was driving???
That must be it!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #222
Pixie Princess
DIS Veteran

Location: With Cinderella's mice making a new dress for Belle

Lovin' the hair flair!! Flair is important.

Perhaps it was the communicating with planet Ork that got your dad all turned around trying to get to AK? Of course that only explains this trip...not any others.

Joaquin is priceless. Just priceless. He really was hamming it up for the camera!

I'm also VERY happy to see the Yeti is still along for the ride. Love the PP pic where your brother is holding him as if he's perched on the Forbidden Mountain. Love.it.

P.S. Cheetah...grr..grr.... is that from Can't Hardly Wait?
Pixie Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:24 AM   #223
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Ha ha! If your dad only knew how many people think he's adorable in that photo!! It totally conveys the what the heck sentiment!!

In your dad's defense for missing the AK exits, perhaps he needs a better navigator?? Just sayin'.

Your selfie with Jeni show off your adorable dimples.

Potato soup! I'm going to remember that one for sure.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #224
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

OMG too much fun. "What the heck is going on in this picture?" I love this.

Also, I may have to steal that picture of your dad for future TR updates. Adorable!!!

Nice flair!!!!!

Aww cut Pop some slack. I have a pretty good feel for the resort now, but it can be seriously confusing at times. The sign-age could be a bit better I think.

So sweet of you to bring Yeti home!!!
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #225
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Princess View Post
Lovin' the hair flair!! Flair is important.

Perhaps it was the communicating with planet Ork that got your dad all turned around trying to get to AK? Of course that only explains this trip...not any others.

Joaquin is priceless. Just priceless. He really was hamming it up for the camera!

I'm also VERY happy to see the Yeti is still along for the ride. Love the PP pic where your brother is holding him as if he's perched on the Forbidden Mountain. Love.it.

P.S. Cheetah...grr..grr.... is that from Can't Hardly Wait?
Flair is important, isn't it? I always try to make sure I have some kind of flair going on.

That must be the answer! Dad was so set on communicating with his home planet, that he got distracted.

Believe me, this whole trend with Joaquin will continue throughout the TR.

10 points to you! It's most definitely from Can't Hardly Wait.

As for Yeti, Jason and I managed to get an amazing picture of him on a trip two years ago. Jason agonized over getting him perched just right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Ha ha! If your dad only knew how many people think he's adorable in that photo!! It totally conveys the what the heck sentiment!!

In your dad's defense for missing the AK exits, perhaps he needs a better navigator?? Just sayin'.

Your selfie with Jeni show off your adorable dimples.

Potato soup! I'm going to remember that one for sure.
I know! I'm telling you, he gets such a kick out of it.

I would totally go with the better navigator thing. But see, the problem is....the man doesn't listen to navigators.

Awwww, thanks. Yup, the dimples have always been there.

We generally use Potato Soup whenever someone says "what?", because they don't understand what you said. So then I whisper it. We're just dorks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
OMG too much fun. "What the heck is going on in this picture?" I love this.

Also, I may have to steal that picture of your dad for future TR updates. Adorable!!!

Nice flair!!!!!

Aww cut Pop some slack. I have a pretty good feel for the resort now, but it can be seriously confusing at times. The sign-age could be a bit better I think.

So sweet of you to bring Yeti home!!!
Haha! I'm going to have a lot of fun with the "what the heck is going on in this picture?" segments. I'm just hoping I have enough pictures that can be humorous. Wait....this is us, of course they'll be humorous!

You are welcome to steal the picture of my Dad for future TR updates. Just make sure you reference it back to me and my TR. Who knows, maybe he'll just start popping up on other people's TR's!

Nope, can't cut my Pop any slack. The man has been there 30 times. He should know where he's going.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: