DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #76
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishLosingIt View Post
We went on a DVC tour on our last trip, and I really would like to purchase, but after crunching numbers, my husband isn't sure whether or not it will be a good deal for us. We're a family of 3 (including a 1.5 year old daughter). I'm a teacher, so we'd only be vacationing during school break times. We just stayed at Pop Century and were fine with staying in a value resort for a week - however we already booked a bounceback free dining offer for POFQ. We don't necessarily need to stay in a deluxe resort, but we definitely want to stay for 7-10 days each year, have a dining plan, and park tickets. Do you think we're better off doing a package every year or doing DVC? My husband seems to think that until DVC "pays for itself" it'll actually be more expensive than just doing packages.
IMO the pkgs were easier - if we'd been happy staying at moderates we'd not purchased DVC but we started doing our 'bounce backs' at the Yacht and Beach Club. If you find yourself gravitating exclusively away from the moderate/value then DVC does pay for itself.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #77
Mickbee
First voyage of the Magic crossing from Kingdom to Kingdom!

Very engaging topic (again) with lots of great info and perspectives.

To me comparing the different tier accommodations and room types varies and isn't an "Apples to Apples" measure and is difficult to assess the worth. It is like comparing a Toyota to a Mercedes or BMW. All are great cars and are suited to a person's particular lifestyle and desires. All folks mentioned earlier in the post in many forms...

Is it a terrific or horrible financial decision??? For us it has been a great personal decision while factoring in the financial perspective. Can I quantify the specific numbers? Nope, but we aren't worse off.

An important decision for us to keep in perspective is Disney will halt or significantly reduce the deep discounts and special promos when the economy will support the rate increases. Disney has a brilliant revenue management and marketing teams and know what the market will bear and when. When they no longer see the needs for the discounts, the great discounts will dry up... It wasn't too long ago (12 years) that it was difficult to find a decent discount off of rack rate. Without a crystal ball it is anyone's guess where prices will go... The discounts will ebb and flow based on the economy and occupancy rates.

After being out of the pocket with the DVC world for a few years I was shocked to see how high the price through Disney direct are now. IMHO there are two different considerations: Buying Resale vs. Disney Direct when determining the "Is it worth it". It would be hard to compare today's rates to a $130-$165 pp to the discounts.

If you do buy in, and in the event your family gets sick of Disney or DVC doesn't fit your lifestyle any longer, selling your contract WILL recoup some of your expense. It doesn't imply you will recoup everything and likely not. What I'm saying is DVC would yield some return unlike a cash reservation. Once you stay & pay, the cash reservation has a zero percent chance of recouping any value beyond memories.

We purchased and sold many DVC contracts, some through Disney, some resale. We always came out at or above or initial cost. This DOES NOT imply this will be the way for you or anyone...

Best of luck in your decision.

Last edited by Mickbee; 08-25-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Mickbee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #78
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthaMouse View Post
...This is the question that I have about that: do members do that--use their points for 3 or 4 week stays at resorts like Old Key West, or do you have to had OKW as your home resort to be able to book an extended stay like that?

Have a great week,
Martha
If you have enough points to book three or four weeks, you can book them. But I think there is a limit to the number of nights you can stay without making a new reservation. We've done 13 nights for our longest trip.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #79
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
If you have enough points to book three or four weeks, you can book them. But I think there is a limit to the number of nights you can stay without making a new reservation. We've done 13 nights for our longest trip.
There's a limit to how much you can book in advance but I don't think there's a limit on how long you can stay. I'm not aware of a limit on length of reservation for DVC but there may be. There are for some other timeshares I use.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #80
Bhoffm02
Earning My Ears

I went on a DVC presentation a few months ago and was told that the point cost at the resorts do not increase. If this is true then why do the point charts come out yearly. If it is not true, then how often/how much do the points required to stay increase?
Bhoffm02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #81
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhoffm02 View Post
I went on a DVC presentation a few months ago and was told that the point cost at the resorts do not increase. If this is true then why do the point charts come out yearly. If it is not true, then how often/how much do the points required to stay increase?
Point total doesn't change but holidays can change seasons, DVC can turn a theme park view into a standard view, or there can be other changes. If the points go down in one area, the go up in another or visa versa.

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #82
Mickbee
First voyage of the Magic crossing from Kingdom to Kingdom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Point total doesn't change but holidays can change seasons, DVC can turn a theme park view into a standard view, or there can be other changes. If the points go down in one area, the go up in another or visa versa.

the overall total point allocate for a resort cannot increase. DVC has the ability to adjust but cannot increase overall.

If I recall, in the earlier dayS they weekend day point cost was much higher the sun-thurs. They level set the the points a bit to accommodate the changing demand.

I don't recall the specifics of the point chart but a sunday night would cost 13 point when a Friday would cost 23. They blend the week to balance the days closer.

Mickbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #83
twinsouvenirs
Mother of Dragons :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
I do have an accounting degree and spent the last year as an auditor.

But I also don't own to SAVE money - I own because...
1) We want the kids in a different bedroom
2) I am not comfortable renting
3) When I bought, I was an onsite snob.
4) We can easily afford it.

Frankly, if it weren't for #1, we are happier in Deluxe hotels. And if it weren't for the kids being little and Disney being an easy trip, we wouldn't have bought. We have a last trip promised to our godchild, who isn't yet old enough, and then we may sell.
TOTALLY agree with this post and every one of the reasons. Our other reason is that we feared we would put off planning a vacation every year unless we structured it and end up doing nothing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: