Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 08:56 AM   #1
nighttowll
Mouseketeer

Help with historical places or informational museums to visit in or around Orlando

We are trying to plan a family trip to Orlando for Christmas. The problem is we've never been able to get my father to go to Orlando. He hates Disney, he hates amusement parks, he hates crowds. His idea of the perfect vacation is traipsing through the woods or the wilderness in Alaska. He loves anything historical or old. Battle grounds, forts, museums. He likes camping, hunting, and outdoor activities. He likes technical, scientific, or militaristic stuff. He has agreed to consider going to Orlando if we promise not to make him go with us to any of the amusement parks, and if I can provide him with a list of things he might like to do.

So, I'm really hoping for some help with that list. So far, I've come up with:

Kennedy Space Center - We've done NASA, and Huntsville, so I think this is our last space center left to see.

Holocaust Museum - if it's open at Christmas, have to check on that.

Airboat - He shot down this idea which I thought he might like being out in nature, but apparently that is not his idea of real nature.

Blue Spring State Park - if the manatees are there at Christmas

Westgate Dude Ranch - you can ride horses, see a rodeo, and shoot skeet, so I thought that might be a fun thing to do one day. He likes to ride and to shoot. I'm just not sure. We lived in Texas for years, so I'm thinking we might kind of think the place was a joke. Plus I'm not sure if you can just go there for the day, or if you have to be staying there to do stuff. I know you pay extra, so I don't see why you would have to stay there, but still not sure.

Any ideas of old dead things or places to go see would be really appreciated. Bonus points if you can come up with places the rest of the family won't die from boredom at.

Thanks
nighttowll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:54 PM   #2
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

The Titanic Experience on International Drive might be a good fit.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old Today, 01:21 PM   #3
kmb584
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
The Titanic Experience on International Drive might be a good fit.
I second Gina's suggestion. The exhibit is quite spectacular.

Me (29) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:33 PM   #4
nighttowll
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb584 View Post
I second Gina's suggestion. The exhibit is quite spectacular.
Thanks that is the type of thing I'm looking for, but we've done it. I completely forgot about there being one in Orlando, and he did love it. I remember sitting on a bench in the gift shop waiting for him to come out. He spent like 4 hours in there.
nighttowll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:52 PM   #5
Detailor
DIS Veteran

The manatees will be in at Blue Spring State Park in December and it's worth going if he's interested. There's also a narrated nature cruise out on the St. Johns River from that state park. I'd thought that the two hour length of the cruise would be too long to capture my attention but it was quite interesting as they know where to look for the various wildlife in and along the river.

How about the Don Garlits Drag Racing Museum? I'm not sure if that's the official name or not but it's got to be close to that. The museum is located in Ocala, about 70 miles (around an hour) from the Disney area. We haven't done that but we've been near it a couple of times and I thought it looked interesting.

There's an early 1800s fort replica over in Christmas, Florida, maybe a bit less than half way between Orlando and the Kennedy Space Center. There's a museum there as well.

Dick Taylor
1961 New Years - The Disneyland Hotel, 1977 February - someplace on I-Drive that doesn't exist anymore, 1997 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 1998 February - Cypress Pointe, 1999 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2000 February - Vacation Villas at Fantasy World, 2001 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2002 March - Hilton Grand VacationClub at Sea World, 2003 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 2004 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2005 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2005 June - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2006 February - Pool House in Davenport, 2006 June - Tampa Doubletree, 2007 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2007 July - Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort, 2008 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2008 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2008 June - Cypress Pointe, 2009 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2009 June - Marriott's Sabal Palms, 2010 February/March - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2010 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2011 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2012 December - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2013 March - Westin Lake Mary Orlando North
Detailor is offline   Reply With Quote