Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 04:29 AM   #1
wheels on fire
Mouseketeer

Sheraton vista village

What are peoples thoughts on here please as we have struggled to find wheelchair accessible accommodation for 5 and don't want to be in one room .Especially without a car

seen itrolley stops outside for going up Idrive 9 we use bus trains in uk a lot so waiting /journey is not unusual to us )

Can we walk to publix ? from there to do s grocery shop

Thank you
wheels on fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM   #2
Detailor
DIS Veteran

Depending on which building you're in at Vistana Villages, it's roughly 3/4 of a mile to a mile to the Publix store. There's a crosswalk across International Drive at the exit from Vistana Villages property but perhaps not an ideal one. I don't think that there's any crossing control there to get an actual crossing signal. You'd cross three traffic lanes to the median (which is very small there to accommodate a turn lane) then cross the turn lane and three more traffic lanes to get to the sidewalk on the other side of the street.

There are sidewalks along both sides of International Drive but the one on the Vistana Villages side of the street only goes about a quarter mile or so before you'd have to cross to the other side (assuming, that is, that they haven't extended it since the last time we were there). The crosswalk there isn't a corner, so it's not ideal either as I don't think that there's any control there to get a crossing signal. You'd go when you think the traffic dictates safe crossing and cross the three traffic lanes to the small median and then cross another three lanes plus a turn lane to get to the other side.

You cross another multi-lane road (the new road that is beside the Floridays resort) but at least that one has crossing controls. There are crossing controls to cross International Drive at that intersection but unless they've extended the sidewalk on the side of the I-Drive where Vistana Villages is located that won't help much.

Dick Taylor
1961 New Years - The Disneyland Hotel, 1977 February - someplace on I-Drive that doesn't exist anymore, 1997 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 1998 February - Cypress Pointe, 1999 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2000 February - Vacation Villas at Fantasy World, 2001 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2002 March - Hilton Grand VacationClub at Sea World, 2003 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 2004 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2005 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2005 June - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2006 February - Pool House in Davenport, 2006 June - Tampa Doubletree, 2007 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2007 July - Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort, 2008 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2008 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2008 June - Cypress Pointe, 2009 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2009 June - Marriott's Sabal Palms, 2010 February/March - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2010 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2011 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2012 December - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2013 March - Westin Lake Mary Orlando North
Detailor is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM   #3
wheels on fire
Mouseketeer

Thank you may need to rethink as not keen on crossing several lanes of traffic with out proper crossings .
Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM   #4
bankr63
DIS Veteran

Actually, there's no sidewalk at all on either side from the Publix to Daryl Carter Pkwy (take a look on google street view). Only a dirt trail.

If you like the area consider HGVC (Hilton Grand Vacation Club) I-Drive location. Pretty sure they would have finished their ADA compliance so should be able to accommodate your needs. IMO they are one notch up from Sheraton in quality.

HGVC I-Drive is directly across Vineland from the Publix, and has direct access to Premium Outlets. Still have to walk a bit to get to a controlled intersection (Vineland and I-Drive), but the medians are wide and traffic is calmer on that section if Vineland than on I-Drive if you decide to venture to cross at the main entrance.

Take a look on the satellite view with Google Maps, zoomed in you can see all the sidewalks and crossings.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM   #5
wheels on fire
Mouseketeer

Thank you have already inquired at the Hilton and they can not accommodate what I need .only offer one bedroom rather than the 2 as do all the other hotels it unless I stay at disney or book 2 accommodations .Being honest it was that rather than location was looking at .

Good idea will have a look at satellite see where crossings are on idrive .Guess can always do a taxi down to Walmart or publix if needs.
have had a look on satellite and accept one stretch it looks be sidewalks and the trail section looks pretty levelish ( i have a off road style chair .
Seems number 8 bus also runs to .Will check out if anyone else otherwise will give it a try

thank you for all your help

Last edited by wheels on fire; Yesterday at 12:49 PM.