Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 02:32 PM   #1
jamelynn24
Mouseketeer

What do I need to know when renting a town house offsite?

We have been to Disney World about 14 times as a family over the past 10 years and have ALWAYS stayed on property.

We are considering surprising our kiddos with a vacation from Dec 26-Jan 3, but want to stay in a town home/condo so we can make most of our meals, relax, and have very little park time.

What do I need to know when renting a town house from a private owner? Any one have advice or what to ask the owner before I book? I've looked on all of the websites (vrbo.com, etc) and found one in Encantada that I like and the owner appears to be very nice and accommodating. From the pictures, it looks like a decent home with a small pool in the back. The price is VERY good for this time of year, too!

I'm very nervous about renting from a private owner, even though everything seems legit.
jamelynn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:39 PM   #2
Ksquared
Mouseketeer

We went down last year, same timeframe as you.

We decided to rent a house and I researched tons of places and found one on Home Away that I liked.

First thing I did was read all of the reviews. The reviews on the house we chose were all very good, not only the condition of the house but also how easy the renter was to deal with.

Because our rental was not your typical saturday to saturday, I reached out to a few homeowners to see if they would rent for our specific dates.

Make sure the price you are quoted is the price in total, including cleaning fees, pool heat, etc. and make sure you read exactly what's included. Our home did not include a BBQ grill but we could rent one if we wanted and that's something we definitely did.

It's hard to rent something sight unseen and put your trust in others but we had an awesome experience from beginning to end and I would rent again in a heartbeat.

Our house was in Davenport and was 4 bedrooms. Seems you are interested in a smaller property otherwise I would give you the renter's name.
Old Today, 04:19 PM   #3
jamelynn24
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksquared View Post
We went down last year, same timeframe as you.

We decided to rent a house and I researched tons of places and found one on Home Away that I liked.

First thing I did was read all of the reviews. The reviews on the house we chose were all very good, not only the condition of the house but also how easy the renter was to deal with.

Because our rental was not your typical saturday to saturday, I reached out to a few homeowners to see if they would rent for our specific dates.

Make sure the price you are quoted is the price in total, including cleaning fees, pool heat, etc. and make sure you read exactly what's included. Our home did not include a BBQ grill but we could rent one if we wanted and that's something we definitely did.

It's hard to rent something sight unseen and put your trust in others but we had an awesome experience from beginning to end and I would rent again in a heartbeat.

Our house was in Davenport and was 4 bedrooms. Seems you are interested in a smaller property otherwise I would give you the renter's name.

Thanks for your help!! We would do a 4-bedroom, but found a 3-bed town home in Encantada. There are no reviews and when I asked why, she said it was because there are a lot of rentals in the resort and they are all the same. I checked the resort online and it gets rave reviews. I guess my biggest concern is getting down there and finding out that it was all a scam and we have no where to stay!

Was your rental through a private owner or through a resort?

Since you were there for the same week, did you visit the parks at all? I'm thinking that it will take us forever to get into the transportation and ticket center parking lot and I know all of the parks will be wall to wall people (or closed to capacity at times). We will actually be at the parks in November, so this will be more of a relaxing trip, rather than a go-go-go trip!
jamelynn24 is offline   Reply With Quote