Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #31
DisneyJillian18
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyJillian18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Be sure to review the long list of restaurants on tablesinwonderland.com! It'll show you the short list of counter service places you can use it at, too. And if you haven't found Cheshire's post somewhere yet, the basics are that it's *less than* $500 in eligible food and drink, because the TAX is figured on the post-discount price. (tip for table services is based on PRE-discount, but not tax!) so it actually lowers the threshold.
Thank you! I browsed it, but I would like to really look at.
__________________
ME DB DM DD
DisneyJillian18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #32
DisneyJillian18
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyJillian18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigglyFigment View Post
Weekends are busy times at WDW because of locals. The crowds can sometimes be a bit unpredictable, too. You might find that after the drive you can't fit in everything you want.

As others said, plan your ticket purchase around your trips. Don't buy a ticket and then go. It's expensive AND it loses some of the magic when it turns into "UGH. I'm tired of eating at _____." It stops being a treat when you go too frequently. Not to mention you might end up having to miss out on fun stuff at home since you're saving up for yet another trip to Disney.

It's totally okay to go off on a weekend to someplace that is not Disney. You'll still have fun and it'll make Disney that much more special when you go there again.

I've only had an AP three times - all three times because I *planned* on going more than 13 days in a year and already had the money mostly set aside.
Thank you! I really appreciate this perspective. It makes sense to try and plan your 13 days rather than to try and make time for 13 days.
__________________
ME DB DM DD
DisneyJillian18 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #33
DisneyJillian18
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyJillian18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by AThrillingChase View Post
Just a note on TIW, I bought it in May and I believe it is accepted at all-star cafeterias and some counter service venues.

I also bought my AP in May with 2 trips in mind, but I am considering additional trips for rundisney events or just a warm weather break in winter. It is great because I only have to budget for hotel and airfare (driving for you). But it just plain makes shorter, sudden trips possible!

And on renewal, you will get the slightly cheaper renewal rate then.
It is accepted! Which is fine with us, we've never had a bad experience at Value hotels. I am also interested in rundisney events, might just see you out there!
__________________
ME DB DM DD
DisneyJillian18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #34
DisneyJillian18
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyJillian18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by AThrillingChase View Post
Also, I found that with the discount, TS did not cost much more than CS. Especially places like The Plaza or even Sci-fi.
I think it would at least be something fun to try, we would probably try different places. We normally stick to the same ones every trip. Thanks for your help!
__________________
ME DB DM DD
DisneyJillian18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #35
usacanada2008
Earning My Ears
 
usacanada2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by omurice View Post
My belief is if you visit for more than 13 days in one trip, or are going for at least 2 trips in one year (both inside of 366 days really) totalling 13 days or more, yes the AP (annual pass) is worth it! Visiting 13 days in one year of ordinary tickets is about the break-even point. Any more than 13 days, an AP really starts to pay off just in terms of the ticket prices. Also there are discounts that depending on your resort, dining and shopping, the break even point moves back to fewer days. You can get similar discounts in other ways (WDW website has special offers year round, almost), but the AP resort discounts are up to 30% for deluxe, and up to 15% off for value resort. There are other discounts too including - free parking at all the parks; 10% off park merchandise and some Downtown Disney stores; and 10% off dining at a handful of restaurants (at least two at each park, several at Downtown Disney and Epcot, but ZERO at MK!). Then there is Tables in Wonderland card if you do table service a lot, for $100 extra you purchase a card that gives you 20% off your meals at most (but not all) WDW table service locations, and some quick service. That card gives an 18% automatic tip at table service keep in mind, so there it will appear like you got only 2% off but your tip was included. Break-even point on TiW card is if you spend $500 at table service (easy if staying 13 days or more!). If you're on the fence, or very close to 13 days total in a year, just get one AP -- you can enjoy the resort, dining and shopping discounts, and possibly get a TiW card for extra, with just ONE annual pass. PS - My advice is do not get a premium annual pass unless you plan to use the water parks and/or Disney Quest at least twice. That extra cost on the PAP is not worth it if you don't utilize those, in my opinion. Hope this helps!
If we chose to purchase 1 AP (family of 3) then we could use it to get discount room rates, ticket rates and the dining plan for the two who do not have an AP?
usacanada2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #36
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 43,261

Quote:
Originally Posted by usacanada2008 View Post
If we chose to purchase 1 AP (family of 3) then we could use it to get discount room rates, ticket rates and the dining plan for the two who do not have an AP?
Yes you can use it for a room discount, yes you can get the AP ticketless package with just the one AP to get dining, but there are no ticket discounts for AP holders.
__________________

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #37
dansamy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,681

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot

Yes you can use it for a room discount, yes you can get the AP ticketless package with just the one AP to get dining, but there are no ticket discounts for AP holders.
There are party ticket discounts for AP holders.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #38
tlimbergsmith
NolaDisneyGirl
 
tlimbergsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10

Question Dates for APs & when to purchase

Hello all!

I was looking for useful info on APs & found this thread, so I wanted to ask a few questions.

I have 2 WDW trips planned for 2014: Oct 3-12 with a 5 day cruise in there & then another 5 days of parks only at Thanksgiving. All together it would be 1 5-day park hopper per trip or purchase an annual pass for myself & DD. If my math is correct, it would only cost me about another $30 to get the APs.

1) Are APs based on the calendar year (Jan-Dec 2014) or it it good for 365 days from the date I purchase it? If so, when is the latest you recommend that I purchase the pass? Can I purchase it on 10/3/14 when I arrive and will it then be good until 10/3/15?

2)If we stay on the property, can we purchase the dining plan? Also the timing of our first trip is during the time when WDW typically does the free dining plan, so I may be losing out on some savings there because I have read that APs are not eligible for free dining.

I would appreciate any feedback you want to give in regards to these questions.

Thanks in advance!
__________________
Tracey
tlimbergsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #39
siskaren
DIS Veteran
 
siskaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 6,894

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlimbergsmith View Post
Hello all!

1) Are APs based on the calendar year (Jan-Dec 2014) or it it good for 365 days from the date I purchase it? If so, when is the latest you recommend that I purchase the pass? Can I purchase it on 10/3/14 when I arrive and will it then be good until 10/3/15?

2)If we stay on the property, can we purchase the dining plan? Also the timing of our first trip is during the time when WDW typically does the free dining plan, so I may be losing out on some savings there because I have read that APs are not eligible for free dining.

I would appreciate any feedback you want to give in regards to these questions.

Thanks in advance!
1. When you buy it on property, it's active from the date of purchase.

2. I believe that AP holders can get the dining plan. What you can do if free dining is offered during your trip is you can book a package with the minimum ticket requirement (which I believe is a 2 day ticket) and then upgrade the ticket to an AP.

Last edited by siskaren; 11-26-2013 at 11:13 PM.
siskaren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #40
AThrillingChase
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlimbergsmith View Post
Hello all! I was looking for useful info on APs & found this thread, so I wanted to ask a few questions. I have 2 WDW trips planned for 2014: Oct 3-12 with a 5 day cruise in there & then another 5 days of parks only at Thanksgiving. All together it would be 1 5-day park hopper per trip or purchase an annual pass for myself & DD. If my math is correct, it would only cost me about another $30 to get the APs. 1) Are APs based on the calendar year (Jan-Dec 2014) or it it good for 365 days from the date I purchase it? If so, when is the latest you recommend that I purchase the pass? Can I purchase it on 10/3/14 when I arrive and will it then be good until 10/3/15? 2)If we stay on the property, can we purchase the dining plan? Also the timing of our first trip is during the time when WDW typically does the free dining plan, so I may be losing out on some savings there because I have read that APs are not eligible for free dining. I would appreciate any feedback you want to give in regards to these questions. Thanks in advance!
It is good for a year from the date you use it generally. However, I believe if you purchase it directly from a ticket counter at the park the clock starts, even if you do not enter the park. If you purchase a voucher ahead of time I think it doesn't start until you exchange it for the ticket. The best answer here is do not buy the AP/exchange your AP voucher until the day you plan to use it so you won't have to worry.

Yes AP holders can get the dining plan. You may also want to check the Dis discounts page. With the AP you get 10% off merchandise, resto discounts at some locations, (sometimes) better room discounts, and you are eligible for the tables in wonderland card. TIW costs $100 but gives you 20% off food and beverages at nearly every disney resto and some counter service too. It also includes alcoholic beverages. So the discounts may even it out for you. there is also the food and wine festival in October for food.

I love my AP, the only thing is it's true that when you have it you keep trying to plan extra trips!
__________________
2004, 2005 - offsite
2007 - Boardwalk Inn
2012 - Pop Century
2012 - Tokyo Disney Sea
May 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2013 - first solo trip for Wine and Dine! Decided to explore new resorts: CB, YC, POLY
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge CL. Happy Birthday to me!
March/April 2014 - Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge
October 2014 - Beach Club for TOT 10-Miler!
AThrillingChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
annual, annual passes, passholders



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.