DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #16
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc2003 View Post
This is my biggest dilemma. I think with plenty of time on my hands, conceivably 24+ months, I should be able to find a small resale contract if I'm diligent. However, realistically I might not be super diligent and I can see a benefit to buying just 25 points direct before I sell. This way I'll get my small contract with no hassle (assuming points are available, I might have to wait a bit), pay for it outright and yes, I'll cut into my return by about 25% for only 25 points. But ultimately it's what we want, with no hassles, and that's worth something. And we will save in fee's on the points we don't carry for the next few years....so while it's not conventional wisdom, it just might be the best solution.
Actually, you pretty much described the perfect reasons why you would want to buy direct in this case. Sure, direct is more money, and the value added to a direct purchase might not always be worth it to many. However, you have described extra value that you would receive for your money, and therefore it might make sense. I'd still recommend making an attempt at a small resale, but I wouldn't be married to the idea in your case. Good luck with everything!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #17
twinsouvenirs
Loving Double Trouble :)

we weren't even looking at stripped contracts-- that said, I did see plenty fly off the shelves. I think part of it is where you own.
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #18
dbs1228
DIS Veteran

I never got the point to buying a stripped contract especially no points until 2015! If the price is real low - maybe but the contracts that are selling is amazing to me. We have bought resale several times and I would not even look at a stripped contract unless it was cheap. I would rather wait a year or 2 to see where prices are in 2014 - 2015 then outlay money for something I cannot use or rent out for 2 years!

People are buying them so if you want to sell give it a shot and good luck!

dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #19
lodge
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandisw View Post
If you decide you want to buy the small contract direct, I'd do so before you sell off the rest of your contracts.

They do allow you to buy in for as little as 25 points (cash) or 50 points (financed) if you are a member.

While I do know they have let new buyers in with smaller contracts, not sure if they would let you go as small as 25.

If you have a Disney Visa, you can purchase for 6 months, 0% interest, which could be a nice benefit to cover the time between adding on those points and selling your other ones if that is what you decide to do.

Good luck with your decision..
Buying 25 points resale got a friend on the Owner's list and able to buy another small add on at VGF. They knew when VGF would start selling and ensured they were closed in time.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #20
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodge View Post

Buying 25 points resale got a friend on the Owner's list and able to buy another small add on at VGF. They knew when VGF would start selling and ensured they were closed in time.
Yes, you can buy a small resale and become an owner. In this case, I was just saying if the OP decided he was going direct for it, buy it while still an owner and not after selling the other contracts.

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #21
Slakk
House of Mouse Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1228 View Post
I never got the point to buying a stripped contract especially no points until 2015! If the price is real low - maybe but the contracts that are selling is amazing to me. We have bought resale several times and I would not even look at a stripped contract unless it was cheap. I would rather wait a year or 2 to see where prices are in 2014 - 2015 then outlay money for something I cannot use or rent out for 2 years!

People are buying them so if you want to sell give it a shot and good luck!
What I find more amazing is that there is no value paid on a loaded contract. I can strip a contract and sell it at about the same price as a loaded.

Fictitious Contracts

Contract A
Loaded 100 points - sells $80

Same Contract stripped
100 points sells - $78 a point

BUT the owner sells the 2012 and 2013 points at $10 a point and comes out ahead $1800. So until you see a difference in value that is substantial it is crazy AS A SELLER to sell a loaded contract.

This is especially true on small contracts. In fact on a 50 point the price really does not vary. I have sold 3 stripped contracts for the same price as a loaded.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #22
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakk View Post
What I find more amazing is that there is no value paid on a loaded contract. I can strip a contract and sell it at about the same price as a loaded.

Fictitious Contracts

Contract A
Loaded 100 points - sells $80

Same Contract stripped
100 points sells - $78 a point

BUT the owner sells the 2012 and 2013 points at $10 a point and comes out ahead $1800. So until you see a difference in value that is substantial it is crazy AS A SELLER to sell a loaded contract.

This is especially true on small contracts. In fact on a 50 point the price really does not vary. I have sold 3 stripped contracts for the same price as a loaded.
To numbers people like you and me, the situation you describe is baffling indeed. But if you spend enough time here on the boards you will realize that the majority of the people on here are not motivated by numbers or even money really. Please note that I'm making an observation, not a judgment. Many times people have shared their priorities, and they focus on getting the perfect resort, use year, contract size, initial buy in cost, etc. Then at the end of this list of priorities is whether or not the contract had any points in it. Yes, we all know that those extra points can be rented out to reduce the net cost. But I actually believe that some people see this as a negative, as they are not planning a vacation this year, don't want to waste points, and don't want to get involved in the rental game. In the end, people are going to buy and sell contracts in the way that works best for them. It's not perfectly efficient, but it works.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #23
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
To numbers people like you and me, the situation you describe is baffling indeed. But if you spend enough time here on the boards you will realize that the majority of the people on here are not motivated by numbers or even money really. Please note that I'm making an observation, not a judgment. Many times people have shared their priorities, and they focus on getting the perfect resort, use year, contract size, initial buy in cost, etc. Then at the end of this list of priorities is whether or not the contract had any points in it. Yes, we all know that those extra points can be rented out to reduce the net cost. But I actually believe that some people see this as a negative, as they are not planning a vacation this year, don't want to waste points, and don't want to get involved in the rental game. In the end, people are going to buy and sell contracts in the way that works best for them. It's not perfectly efficient, but it works.
The bright side to this is that there is less competition for those loaded contracts.

It is amazing though how many stripped SSR contracts there are out there for sale

DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #24
Slakk
House of Mouse Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post

No I agree - it works very well for me - I have been able to sell all of my contracts that way. I only have small contracts so it is an easy sell
Old 08-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #25
dbs1228
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
The bright side to this is that there is less competition for those loaded contracts.

It is amazing though how many stripped SSR contracts there are out there for sale

dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #26
AppleDisneyDad
Quietly Lurking

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I think some of thethis is accounted for in the MFs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: