DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
ajcatman
1st Disney Visit 1976

Vero Beach Resale??? Worth it for what I want to do??

I currently own 150 direct points at SSR. I'm looking to add on 50 resale points at Vero ($45/point), prices are low enough for my budget, but I never plan on staying at Vero. I also know about Disney's ROFR....it may block me.
Is this a good move? I know about the 7 month window, I rarely travel at peak times and I have never had to wait on any stay I have booked with my direct points. I'm also aware of the higher maintenance fees but at 50 points, its not but about $100 more than SSR.
My biggest concern is using the points in combination with my original points so I can upscale my accomodations.
Please help! I have the Vero Beach contract in hand and I have to respond by Monday 8/5/13!

ajcatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcatman View Post
I currently own 150 direct points at SSR. I'm looking to add on 50 resale points at Vero ($45/point), prices are low enough for my budget, but I never plan on staying at Vero. I also know about Disney's ROFR....it may block me.
Is this a good move? I know about the 7 month window, I rarely travel at peak times and I have never had to wait on any stay I have booked with my direct points. I'm also aware of the higher maintenance fees but at 50 points, its not but about $100 more than SSR.
My biggest concern is using the points in combination with my original points so I can upscale my accomodations.
Please help! I have the Vero Beach contract in hand and I have to respond by Monday 8/5/13!

Not a good move if you never plan to use those points at VB.

You have to wait to use those points at WDW until seven months out. It is getting harder and harder to book a stay at seven months out. Unless you stay late Jan to mid-Feb, early May, Sept after Labor Day.

And, if DVC decides to drop VB from the program, you have 50 points that you can use at VB.

Also, if the VB contract is a different UY, you cannot just combine the two sets of points. You would have to transfer the points to your SSR contract to do that. You are limited to one transfer in or out a year.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
ajcatman
1st Disney Visit 1976

I should have added that it is the same use year.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
jockotaco
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Keep in mind Vero has very high yearly dues which would offset the upfront savings.
jockotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
spruce
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockotaco
Keep in mind Vero has very high yearly dues which would offset the upfront savings.
Yes, about $2 more per point on average, so $100 for 50 points. That'll eat into your $45 vs $85 resale price in about 20 years.
I can't comment on Vero getting dropped other than it's possible but I doubt it.
People get wait list confirmations all the time so Vero 50 could work if you are flexible but a better plan would be something at WDW.
I know someone that owns Vero and has consistently been blocked out of epcot resorts during high seasons.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
spruce
DIS Veteran

I should add, we love Vero and often spend a few days there during a WDW trip. I'd buy the points at that price if we needed more. I'd gamble that I could use them at 7 months at WDW off season. If I had to stay at Vero, that would be okay too.
The negative advice is good but for off season and your master contract being at SSR, you ought to be able to lengthen or upsize an SSR reservation at 7 months.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The short answer is, if your "plan" involves your staying at VB, then owning there is a good idea. If staying there is not in your plan, there are many, many risks that may or may not be worth it depending on your level of flexibility and risk tolerance. Keep in mind that there is a reason why VB is priced so much lower than the other resorts...the demand isn't as strong. Forgetting about costs and use for a moment (although these are important factors), your exit strategies for VB in the future will not be nearly as good as they would be with SSR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Yes, about $2 more per point on average, so $100 for 50 points. That'll eat into your $45 vs $85 resale price in about 20 years.
I see the point you are trying to make, but it would be made better if you were more accurate in your analysis. The OP's other contract is at SSR, so I think that is a fair point of comparison. Conservatively speaking, SSR can be had right now for $65 per point. Furthermore, the difference in dues between the two resorts is $2.60, which would also be a better number to use in this analysis. We all know that dues increases are expressed in exponential terms, which means that the gap between VB dues and SSR dues will only continue to widen. But using today's numbers, the savings between buying VB vs. SSR would be eaten up in less than 8 years, not 20 as you suggest. From that point on (the remaining 21 years on the contract) it's an annual loss comparatively speaking.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The VB points will be more expensive than say OKW or SSR within 5-7 years making reasonable assumptions. Best case scenario it won't cost you more total until you hit 10 years from now. You're also giving up the option of an 11 month window options. As they say, friends don't let friends buy VB for the purpose of a points cow.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
spruce
DIS Veteran

I didn't look up current ssr resale or Vero dues, I should have but knew I would quickly be corrected. They are both right, 10 years not 20.
If you don't mind the idea of staying at Vero, sometimes, I'd still gamble on off season availability at WDW.... Remembering that the dues costs more.
This is not the majority view on these boards. My points cow is my first contract bought at Okw, they are the cheapest points we own. We also own at Bwv and Bcv and they were all bought direct.
You should do whatever works for you, buying where you want to stay has always been the first rule of Dvc.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #10
sweetdana
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post

The short answer is, if your "plan" involves your staying at VB, then owning there is a good idea. If staying there is not in your plan, there are many, many risks that may or may not be worth it depending on your level of flexibility and risk tolerance. Keep in mind that there is a reason why VB is priced so much lower than the other resorts...the demand isn't as strong. Forgetting about costs and use for a moment (although these are important factors), your exit strategies for VB in the future will not be nearly as good as they would be with SSR.

I see the point you are trying to make, but it would be made better if you were more accurate in your analysis. The OP's other contract is at SSR, so I think that is a fair point of comparison. Conservatively speaking, SSR can be had right now for $65 per point. Furthermore, the difference in dues between the two resorts is $2.60, which would also be a better number to use in this analysis. We all know that dues increases are expressed in exponential terms, which means that the gap between VB dues and SSR dues will only continue to widen. But using today's numbers, the savings between buying VB vs. SSR would be eaten up in less than 8 years, not 20 as you suggest. From that point on (the remaining 21 years on the contract) it's an annual loss comparatively speaking.
Also bring on the water hurricane ins is sure to increase dues higher, and yrs left is a considerations.

Though a different dw resort I'd jump on the band wagon being okay " stuck" some where. I do not believe with the diff in resale value if you sell, possible hurricane costs, ins, dues being higher, and not having a 7 month at dw option, is the best option.

I think ave cost diff right now is about 45$ vrs 68 ish $ so it really isn't that much diff. You may find OKw a drop less, if so that one I'd support:D

sweetdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #11
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdana View Post
Also bring on the water hurricane ins is sure to increase dues higher, and yrs left is a considerations.

Though a different dw resort I'd jump on the band wagon being okay " stuck" some where. I do not believe with the diff in resale value if you sell, possible hurricane costs, ins, dues being higher, and not having a 7 month at dw option, is the best option.

I think ave cost diff right now is about 45$ vrs 68 ish $ so it really isn't that much diff. You may find OKw a drop less, if so that one I'd support:D
Plus, IMO, the relative value of VB compared to OKW/SSR is actually worse than the current price difference.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #12
SFlaDisneyfans
Mouseketeer

I would pay the increased cost of SSR or OKW since you are not planning to stay at VB. it is the better long term (and not even that long) financial move.
SFlaDisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #13
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

IMO, it's not that bad of a deal. As the OP says, it's only 50 points and he's willing to pay the extra $100/yr in dues.

50 point resale contracts aren't as available as they once were and price is right. It will take several years for the dues to offset that low buy-in.

It could take a long time to find a 50 point SSR contract at a good price and actually get the contract. It's a sellers' market right now and those small contracts are often gone before they even get listed.

OP - If you proceed, be sure that the VB contract is titled EXACTLY the same as your current contract. Tell the broker and the closing company that you want the resale contract to be added to your current membership as an add-on to your existing contract and under the same membership number. Make sure they have your membership number.

If the VB contract gets added correctly, you will not have any trouble combining the points with your SSR points at 7 months. Of course you already know that all booking is subject to availability.

Good luck!

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #14
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
IMO, it's not that bad of a deal. As the OP says, it's only 50 points and he's willing to pay the extra $100/yr in dues.

50 point resale contracts aren't as available as they once were and price is right. It will take several years for the dues to offset that low buy-in.

It could take a long time to find a 50 point SSR contract at a good price and actually get the contract. It's a sellers' market right now and those small contracts are often gone before they even get listed.

OP - If you proceed, be sure that the VB contract is titled EXACTLY the same as your current contract. Tell the broker and the closing company that you want the resale contract to be added to your current membership as an add-on to your existing contract and under the same membership number. Make sure they have your membership number.

If the VB contract gets added correctly, you will not have any trouble combining the points with your SSR points at 7 months. Of course you already know that all booking is subject to availability.

Good luck!
I agree and people's habits change. There may come a time when spending a few nights at Vero might be in the cards. DH and I are considering checking the resort out this year and if we like it, we could end up trying to add a few nights to our summer trip in the coming years.

Considering they already own at WDW and have that option to book something more than 7 months out, does help out in this situation.

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
ajcatman
1st Disney Visit 1976

I've decided to bite the bullet and spend a bit more to purchase my add on points direct from Disney at SSR. Since my adult kids will inherit the contract anyway I might as well set it up for them all in one place.
I guess for $3000 more knowing that I won't be restricted and also knowing that I will not have to worry as much about the resort going under has helped make my decision.
I've used my existing contract to take 2 ski vacations at Keystone Resort, well worth the points IMO. Prices at Keystone have gone up and having more points available to do this type of trip just makes things easier.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: